High voltage on HDMI connector - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 3 Old 03-02-2020, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
High voltage on HDMI connector

Let me know if this is the right section to post. I am new to the forums.

So I had an electrician come over and measure few things in the house because my LG OLED TV has suddenly broken (green line showing in middle of screen when turning on and then it turns itself off). The only thing that he found to be out of order was a measurement of 40 volt on the metal connector of the HDMI cable going from my Nintendo Switch to the TV. Is this a normal reading? And if not is this voltage something that could have fried something in the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-02-2020, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedTV View Post
Let me know if this is the right section to post. I am new to the forums.

So I had an electrician come over and measure few things in the house because my LG OLED TV has suddenly broken (green line showing in middle of screen when turning on and then it turns itself off). The only thing that he found to be out of order was a measurement of 40 volt on the metal connector of the HDMI cable going from my Nintendo Switch to the TV. Is this a normal reading? And if not is this voltage something that could have fried something in the TV?

40v on the cable connector sounds really high to me. HDMI is designed for 5v/50mA power output at the ports so I'm not sure where the 40v came from. But yeah, that could damage an HDMI input. Did you have a power outage? Maybe the switch faulted out and has lost ground? Did he disconnect the cable and test the switch?
Ratman likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-03-2020, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The 40v will be on the outer earth shield as the Source is double insulted and looking to earth via the next device along the signal path - one issue you can get with a lot of modern kit is that all of your devices are double insulated and there is no 'ground' in the system.

It is always good practice to not connect or disconnect HDMI devices when your devices are powered On.

Joe
Otto Pylot likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page