Directional HDMI installed wrong wwy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Directional HDMI installed wrong way

Hello

I have already read a few similar posts to this, but didn't really find I solution for myself.

I had HDMI cable installed inside a cement wall to run from my PC work table to my AV receiver. Of course I forgot to tell the people that were doing it for me which way to put it and only realized that after I moved in.

The cable is called Eagle HDMI Deluxe II, it was quite expensive, but this was recommended to me for my distance. The cable is 10 meters long.

Now I'm banging my head, trying to figure out what to do. I was given a few options already:

1. Cut off the source end, since tv end has the amplifier inside of it, try to pull the cable and then reroute it right way, and then pop a new HDMI connector on. This option failed due to plastic tubing that the cable is in being too narrow. We tried pulling it, no luck.
2. Cut off both connectors splice and swap them. But noone can tell me for sure that it will work. Can't find anyone that done it online.
3. Cut off both connectors, use the cable as ethernet cable and install HDMI extender. I have no idea if that will work, the extenders are very expensive too.

My goal is to keep 4k60hz.

I don't live in states, so my apartment walls are cement, so running a new cable or pulling old one is an option.

Please help

Last edited by S1erra; 03-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I made some typos and can't find a way to edit the post. Sorry
post #3 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 333
first, I bet you learned an important lesson on paying attention and details.

as for the cable you didn't say if it was installed in a conduit or not. you say a cement wall and the way you phrase it sounds more like the concrete was poured over the cable that is now the wall.

if it's directional, i'd say your out of luck, now, i'm sure people will tell you to cut the ends off and swap them but, it might not be that simple and you then always run the potential of the thing failing once modified.

so, if there is no way to remove the cable and put it in the correct way without damage to the cable itself or the connectors i'd think you might be out of luck. you might have to suck it up and run it exposed as neatly as possible. mistakes can be expensive. sorry about all of that, but, if it were me and I messed up like that, and there was no way to remove the cable i'd just run it exposed like I mentioned.

best of luck getting it resolved, keep us posted.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Marantz AV7702MKII, NR1607. Xbox One S
Emotiva XSP-1, XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps, ATV4K 32gb
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10A & 5A, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, ATMOS 7.1.4 & 5.1.2 NYGiants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1erra View Post
Looks like I made some typos and can't find a way to edit the post. Sorry
use the button that says edit below your post.

TCL-65R615, 55P605 DV/HDR10 & 49S405 HDR10, Philips BDP7501, BPD7502 UHD Players
post #5 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
use the button that says edit below your post.
Yeah I couldn't find it and at the bottom left it says that I not able to edit my posts
post #6 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
first, I bet you learned an important lesson on paying attention and details.

as for the cable you didn't say if it was installed in a conduit or not. you say a cement wall and the way you phrase it sounds more like the concrete was poured over the cable that is now the wall.

if it's directional, i'd say your out of luck, now, i'm sure people will tell you to cut the ends off and swap them but, it might not be that simple and you then always run the potential of the thing failing once modified.

so, if there is no way to remove the cable and put it in the correct way without damage to the cable itself or the connectors i'd think you might be out of luck. you might have to suck it up and run it exposed as neatly as possible. mistakes can be expensive. sorry about all of that, but, if it were me and I messed up like that, and there was no way to remove the cable i'd just run it exposed like I mentioned.

best of luck getting it resolved, keep us posted.
Well, I didn't even know that HDMI cables like that exist, all other HDMI's I used never has such a thing. Even when I bought it in the store I was never told about this direction thing.

The walls are cement, workers made like a channel in it from my AV outlets to my PC outlets and used plastic flexible tubing to protect the cable. Then they used concrete I guess to hide the channel and paint the walls.

What about using it as Ethernet cable with the extender? That wouldn't work either?
post #7 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Hello

I have already read a few similar posts to this, but didn't really find I solution for myself.

I had HDMI cable installed inside a cement wall to run from my PC work table to my AV receiver. Of course I forgot to tell the people that were doing it for me which way to put it and only realized that after I moved in.

The cable is called Eagle HDMI Deluxe II, it was quite expensive, but this was recommended to me for my distance. The cable is 10 meters long.

Now I'm banging my head, trying to figure out what to do. I was given a few options already:

1. Cut off the source end, since tv end has the amplifier inside of it, try to pull the cable and then reroute it right way, and then pop a new HDMI connector on. This option failed due to plastic tubing that the cable is in being too narrow. We tried pulling it, no luck.
2. Cut off both connectors splice and swap them. But noone can tell me for sure that it will work. Can't find anyone that done it online.
3. Cut off both connectors, use the cable as ethernet cable and install HDMI extender. I have no idea if that will work, the extenders are very expensive too.

My goal is to keep 4k60hz.

I don't live in states, so my apartment walls are cement, so running a new cable or pulling old one is an option.

Please help

A "directional" cable sounds like the cable is an active cable. One end should be labeled as "Source" and the other end labeled as "Sink" or "TV". Active cables can not be cut and spliced because of the way the chipsets are designed in the connector ends. Re-wiring the cable using extenders is possible but rarely works reliably. If the cable was installed in a conduit, as it should have been, then you just need to pull a new cable. If you can't pull new cable then it sounds like you're out of luck. As mentioned, you could run a new cable along the floor, next to the baseboards, and install it inside a nice conduit to keep it safe and out of the way if you don't like the look of an exposed cable on the floor.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
A "directional" cable sounds like the cable is an active cable. One end should be labeled as "Source" and the other end labeled as "Sink" or "TV". Active cables can not be cut and spliced because of the way the chipsets are designed in the connector ends. Re-wiring the cable using extenders is possible but rarely works reliably. If the cable was installed in a conduit, as it should have been, then you just need to pull a new cable. If you can't pull new cable then it sounds like you're out of luck. As mentioned, you could run a new cable along the floor, next to the baseboards, and install it inside a nice conduit to keep it safe and out of the way if you don't like the look of an exposed cable on the floor.
I was told the there is an amplifier but only on the TV end of the cable. So Source end has just a regular connector with nothing in it. HDMI repair guy told me that he can just cut that TV end off, look at how it was wired and attach a new one.
But all of this doesn't really matter since I can't pull the cable. The tubing they used protects the cable and it works when connecting peripherals the right way. But It's just too tight, plus there is a 90 degree corner. I was thinking of running a new cable inside the baseboard, but unfortunately I had invisible baseboard installed. So the only option I have is to just run it on the floor.

Why using it as Ethernet cable wouldn't work reliably? I've read on some forums that people are running extenders for over 50 feet and still get 4k60hz no problem.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was told the there is an amplifier but only on the TV end of the cable. So Source end has just a regular connector with nothing in it. HDMI repair guy told me that he can just cut that TV end off, look at how it was wired and attach a new one.
But all of this doesn't really matter since I can't pull the cable. The tubing they used protects the cable and it works when connecting peripherals the right way. But It's just too tight, plus there is a 90 degree corner. I was thinking of running a new cable inside the baseboard, but unfortunately I had invisible baseboard installed. So the only option I have is to just run it on the floor.

Why using it as Ethernet cable wouldn't work reliably? I've read on some forums that people are running extenders for over 50 feet and still get 4k60hz no problem.
like i said, lesson learned, since you can't pull the old one out, get a new cable, run it on the floor, gently secure it to the baseboard and life goes on. and for goodness sake, make sure to check the directional ends before running the new one!

post #10 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:

There are chipsets in both ends of an active cable. The source end draws 50mA of power to push the signal down the length of the cable and the sink end has chipsets that draw some power from the HDMI input for error correction, timing, etc. If you have someone who says that they can cut and repair the cable then go for it. If you decide to use the cable to extend an ethernet connection, rewiring may work but pushing HDMI will be problematic.

I'm not sure what you mean about the conduit. A conduit is just an empty tube, usually 1.5" - 2.0", that you just run your cabling in. If there is a 90 degree bend you need to make sure you have enough cable length so that the cable is gently bent around the corner. Sharp bends can affect the signal over time (continued bending of the wire). You can run passive cables with active extenders if your cabling is installed correctly and carefully. That can work well for 1080/4k but is not reliable for 4k HDR at that length. If 4k HDR is your ultimate goal, then at 50' a hybrid fiber cable is what is recommended. 4k HDR is really finicky with its cable connection so source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc is the most reliable connection.
Madmax67 likes this.

post #11 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
There are chipsets in both ends of an active cable. The source end draws 50mA of power to push the signal down the length of the cable and the sink end has chipsets that draw some power from the HDMI input for error correction, timing, etc. If you have someone who says that they can cut and repair the cable then go for it. If you decide to use the cable to extend an ethernet connection, rewiring may work but pushing HDMI will be problematic.

I'm not sure what you mean about the conduit. A conduit is just an empty tube, usually 1.5" - 2.0", that you just run your cabling in. If there is a 90 degree bend you need to make sure you have enough cable length so that the cable is gently bent around the corner. Sharp bends can affect the signal over time (continued bending of the wire). You can run passive cables with active extenders if your cabling is installed correctly and carefully. That can work well for 1080/4k but is not reliable for 4k HDR at that length. If 4k HDR is your ultimate goal, then at 50' a hybrid fiber cable is what is recommended. 4k HDR is really finicky with its cable connection so source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc is the most reliable connection.
The conduit they used is a flexible tube, usually used for outlet wires. They weren't professionals, I just told them what to do and they did. (example image below).
Alright, I don't really care if I'll have to buy a new cable to be honest, that's a price I'm willing to pay for not paying attention. I tried pulling on it, and it won't go, maybe they didn't use the tubing all the way, I'm not sure, will ask them when they come over. But if that means sacrificing the one that's in the wall already by forcing it out, I'm ok with it.
I recon the fiber cable is much thinner, and by looking at the pictures, they have like removable tips, so that will fit for sure (example below). Just gotta get that cable out now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in-akustik-Profi-Micro-HDMI-2_0-LWL-Cover.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	2694786   Click image for larger version

Name:	gofraserajab.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	2694788  

Last edited by S1erra; 03-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-07-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
The conduit they used is a flexible tube, usually used for outlet wires. They weren't professionals, I just told them what to do and they did. (example image below).
Alright, I don't really care if I'll have to buy a new cable to be honest, that's a price I'm willing to pay for not paying attention. I tried pulling on it, and it won't go, maybe they didn't use the tubing all the way, I'm not sure, will ask them when they come over. But if that means sacrificing the one that's in the wall already by forcing it out, I'm ok with it.
I recon the fiber cable is much thinner, and by looking at the pictures, they have like removable tips, so that will fit for sure (example below). Just gotta get that cable out now.
The conduit is ok. For future reference, it's easiest to use non-ribbed conduit because that eliminates all possibility of anything getting hung up on the ribs when pulling the cable thru. If the cable doesn't come out easily then it's either hung up at the 90 degree bend because the bend is too sharp (not good) or it is tacked down somewhere, which wouldn't make sense for running a cable in a conduit but if your installers didn't know what they were doing...... a pull string is also a good idea because you then have a way to run future cabling without having to use the existing cable as a pull.

Hybrid fiber cables and active cables are typically thinner because you don't have to use a thicker wire gauge as with a passive cable because you have the advantage of a power source (HDMI input/output) to move the signal down the cable. The advantage of a hybrid fiber cable is that the construction consists of glass fiber cores surrounded by solid copper wires. Hybrid fiber is much more efficient and has better capabilities than just a plain, copper-only active cable. Unfortunately, hybrid fiber is expensive. Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cable is recommended.

The cable in the picture should work but there have been lots of reported issues with active cables and removable connector ends. The chipsets can have a wide variability in longevity (reliability). Be very careful pulling the cable because active cables connectors can be delicate and you don't want to pull anything loose.

Are you going to push 4k HDR?
Madmax67 likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 03-09-2020, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Attached thumbnail - I bet that photographer never had to 'push' that cable down a 30m conduit

Active Fibre - as Otto highlights they do allow you to use a micro HDMI plus a Micro to full size powered adapter and as Otto says they do tend to have a pretty 'iffy' reliability.

Hybrid Fibre - RuiPro4K have proven to be very reliable, though it is always worth giving the cable a test with your kit before you pull it through the wall if that is an option. Like your installed cable they are directional!

Installed cable - you could chop one or both ends and have a go at using the cable as a 'CAT' cable and then add an HDMI over CAT extender to the 'Frankenstein' cable. HDMI over CAT will 'support' 4K UHD though you have to remember that they all have to use some form of compression with a full 4K UHD signal so 'support' can mean many things, the most reliable solutions utilise the HDBT chip set.

Joe
Madmax67 likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page