1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Issues w/ 48Gbps HDMI Cable

I purchased this Monoprice SlimRun AV Dynamic HDR Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], Dynamic HDR, 48Gbps, Fiber Optic, eARC, AOC, YCbCr 4:4:4, 20ft, Black. Partially routed it through part of my wall and decided I should test it before I fully commit and put it the rest of the way in. I am replacing my older HDMI and hoping that I will be safe in the future from having to route another cable. This is the second step in my plan to eventually get a Sony VPL-VW295ES projector, I currently have a Sony VPL-HW45ES. The first step was to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-35 receiver with a Yamaha RX-A1080.

I know an HDMI 2.1 cable is excessive, I just don't want to have to worry about this ever again. Since there aren't many long, reliable cables available I was limited and couldn't get an in-wall rated cable. That's beside the point. When I plugged the cable in to my Yamaha and projector, it displayed for a second and then went black. I tried different output ports from the Yamaha and it didn't seem to make a difference. Additionally I tried different sources(Xbox One X, Playstation 4) and that didn't seem to matter. I also tried moving the cable around to see if it was kinked somewhere along the line. From what I understand these newer cables should be backwards compatible. Should I try a different 48Gbps cable(Ruipro was the other one I was looking at)? Do I need to give up my future-proofing dreams? Or is it just a matter of changing some settings in my equipment?

Last edited by Haacksta; 03-10-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Fixing link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haacksta View Post
I purchased this Monoprice SlimRun AV Dynamic HDR Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], Dynamic HDR, 48Gbps, Fiber Optic, eARC, AOC, YCbCr 4:4:4, 20ft, Black. Partially routed it through part of my wall and decided I should test it before I fully commit and put it the rest of the way in. I am replacing my older HDMI and hoping that I will be safe in the future from having to route another cable. This is the second step in my plan to eventually get a Sony VPL-VW295ES projector, I currently have a Sony VPL-HW45ES. The first step was to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-35 receiver with a Yamaha RX-A1080.

I know an HDMI 2.1 cable is excessive, I just don't want to have to worry about this ever again. Since there aren't many long, reliable cables available I was limited and couldn't get an in-wall rated cable. That's beside the point. When I plugged the cable in to my Yamaha and projector, it displayed for a second and then went black. I tried different output ports from the Yamaha and it didn't seem to make a difference. Additionally I tried different sources(Xbox One X, Playstation 4) and that didn't seem to matter. I also tried moving the cable around to see if it was kinked somewhere along the line. From what I understand these newer cables should be backwards compatible. Should I try a different 48Gbps cable(Ruipro was the other one I was looking at)? Do I need to give up my future-proofing dreams? Or is it just a matter of changing some settings in my equipment?
I purchased the Aviano and Zeskit 4K hdmi cables from amazon and found that my Yamaha sound was vastly improved. Not sure how long in feet these cables go, mine was for 6.5 feet. Anything Fiber optic limits you to 5.1 sound. Try them, if they don't work for you, return it!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:

No such thing, yet, as a cable that has been fully tested and certified for HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps). Partly because there aren't any consumer devices (new HDMI 2.1 chipsets) that can one, transmit data at 48Gbps and two, there is no consumer source material available that needs that bandwidth. The ONLY way to future proof your cabling is to install it in a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit because you will be upgrading your cabling down the road. Video technology will always outpace connection technology so easy access to your cabling is basically required now. The most reliable connection will be source to sink, with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. And be mindful of bend radius. Hybrid fiber cables have an excellent bend radius but you still need to be aware of sharp 90 degree bends.

Backwards compatibility just means that the newer cables which have been certified for the HDMI 2.0 option sets will work with previous versions of HDMI protocols. However, you will be limited to the in-common protocols. In other words, an HDMI 2.0 device sending data to an HDMI 1.4 device will only be able to utilize the protocols that are available to HDMI 1.4. The cable is just the data pipe. It can not alter or modify the pq in any way. You can't make greens any greener or reds any redder. Most all consumer devices have HDMI 2.0 chipsets in them, which is standardized around 18Gbps. Even if you had a cable that could actually transmit data at 48Gbps, the chipsets will only process at 18Gpbs.

Projectors, at least some, have issues with active cables due to the inconsistent power output and the sink end which can have an adverse effect on the connector end chipsets. Some of the issues have been mitigated with the use of a voltage inserter but nothing is guaranteed.

As far as fiber cables go, what you want to look for are hybrid fiber optical cables (Ruipro4k). I have been testing short length Ruipro4k cables for a few months now and they work perfectly for all of the HDMI 2.0 options sets (4k HDR) and HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, DD+, etc). I don't use or need ARC/eARC but I do know for a fact that the Ruipro4k cable work fine for that as well. The only drawback, and this is true for any cable, is that ARC/eARC can have issues a long lengths.

No cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time for any given setup so it may be trial and error so you need to plan accordingly and look at your cable length and how it will be installed to give you best chances for success.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Quote:

No such thing, yet, as a cable that has been fully tested and certified for HDMI 2.1 (48Gbps). Partly because there aren't any consumer devices (new HDMI 2.1 chipsets) that can one, transmit data at 48Gbps and two, there is no consumer source material available that needs that bandwidth. The ONLY way to future proof your cabling is to install it in a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit because you will be upgrading your cabling down the road. Video technology will always outpace connection technology so easy access to your cabling is basically required now. The most reliable connection will be source to sink, with no wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc in-between. And be mindful of bend radius. Hybrid fiber cables have an excellent bend radius but you still need to be aware of sharp 90 degree bends.

Backwards compatibility just means that the newer cables which have been certified for the HDMI 2.0 option sets will work with previous versions of HDMI protocols. However, you will be limited to the in-common protocols. In other words, an HDMI 2.0 device sending data to an HDMI 1.4 device will only be able to utilize the protocols that are available to HDMI 1.4. The cable is just the data pipe. It can not alter or modify the pq in any way. You can't make greens any greener or reds any redder. Most all consumer devices have HDMI 2.0 chipsets in them, which is standardized around 18Gbps. Even if you had a cable that could actually transmit data at 48Gbps, the chipsets will only process at 18Gpbs.

Projectors, at least some, have issues with active cables due to the inconsistent power output and the sink end which can have an adverse effect on the connector end chipsets. Some of the issues have been mitigated with the use of a voltage inserter but nothing is guaranteed.

As far as fiber cables go, what you want to look for are hybrid fiber optical cables (Ruipro4k). I have been testing short length Ruipro4k cables for a few months now and they work perfectly for all of the HDMI 2.0 options sets (4k HDR) and HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, DD+, etc). I don't use or need ARC/eARC but I do know for a fact that the Ruipro4k cable work fine for that as well. The only drawback, and this is true for any cable, is that ARC/eARC can have issues a long lengths.

No cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time for any given setup so it may be trial and error so you need to plan accordingly and look at your cable length and how it will be installed to give you best chances for success.

Thank you for your reply, it was extremely helpful. I was curious about how much the projector might have been responsible so I hooked up a monitor at the display end and it works much better. It does still seem to cut out intermittently, but overall it's a lot better. Do you happen to have more info about the voltage inserters? What sort of info am I going to need to make an informed purchase?
post #5 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, it was extremely helpful. I was curious about how much the projector might have been responsible so I hooked up a monitor at the display end and it works much better. It does still seem to cut out intermittently, but overall it's a lot better. Do you happen to have more info about the voltage inserters? What sort of info am I going to need to make an informed purchase?
You can find voltage inserters on Amazon. Ruipro may even include them in their 4k cables now. They did include them in their initial offering of the 8k cables but those have since gone back into production to tweak the chipsets. The virus outbreak in China didn't help matters either causing supply chain issues.

Typically a voltage inserter will provide a steady 5v/500mA from a connected USB port which it uses as a power source. There are no guarantees with voltage inserters but some have said it improved their connection issues. Typically the voltage inserter will connect to the source and the active HDMI cable (be it copper-only or preferably hybrid fiber) will connect to that. They can be installed on the sink side as well. I've tested them on my system at source and sink and didn't see any difference in handshaking or reliability of connection, but I didn't have any issues to begin with. How long is your run?

post #6 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can find voltage inserters on Amazon. Ruipro may even include them in their 4k cables now. They did include them in their initial offering of the 8k cables but those have since gone back into production to tweak the chipsets. The virus outbreak in China didn't help matters either causing supply chain issues.

Typically a voltage inserter will provide a steady 5v/500mA from a connected USB port which it uses as a power source. There are no guarantees with voltage inserters but some have said it improved their connection issues. Typically the voltage inserter will connect to the source and the active HDMI cable (be it copper-only or preferably hybrid fiber) will connect to that. They can be installed on the sink side as well. I've tested them on my system at source and sink and didn't see any difference in handshaking or reliability of connection, but I didn't have any issues to begin with. How long is your run?
Nothing too crazy, 20ft. It's in-wall, crossing power lines, so that's another reason I liked the fiber optic.

Just bought an inserter on Amazon. Will try that before I return my cable.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-10-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Nothing too crazy, 20ft. It's in-wall, crossing power lines, so that's another reason I liked the fiber optic.

Just bought an inserter on Amazon. Will try that before I return my cable.

Crossing over power lines is not a good idea due to potential interference. For an in-wall installation the cable should be in a conduit so you can easily and safely upgrade your cables. 20' is not too bad of a distance so you could try a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (certified by HDMI.org with the QR label of authenticity). However, the hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k) will probably give you better longevity and be easier to install. But, you need to be very careful with the cable pull because you don't want to damage the connector ends, and if your cable is not in a conduit, that becomes more difficult. Unfortunately, active cables are not allowed by HDMI.org yet to be certified by an ATC.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
They did include them in their initial offering of the 8k cables but those have since gone back into production to tweak the chipsets.

Otto can you elaborate on the concerns that required tweaking in the chipset? I purchased one of the 10m Ruipro8K cables just the other day and it did indeed come with the voltage inserter. My initial testing shows that it works as intended for 4K but I haven't had the opportunity to fully put it through it's paces. Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #9 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nillaz View Post
Otto can you elaborate on the concerns that required tweaking in the chipset? I purchased one of the 10m Ruipro8K cables just the other day and it did indeed come with the voltage inserter. My initial testing shows that it works as intended for 4K but I haven't had the opportunity to fully put it through it's paces. Is there anything specific I should be looking for?
There are some compatibility issues with some devices. Mostly handshaking. I do have a review on the 8k cables, like I did for the short length Ruipro4k cables, but I've been asked to not post it yet until Ruipro works a little further with their chipset supplier. The problem has been compounded by COVID-19 and the disruption to the supply chain and production being forced to shutdown by the Chinese Government for a period of time. All I can say at this point in time is that the 8k cable worked very well, at least for 4k HDR and the HDMI 2.0 option sets.
Nillaz likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are some compatibility issues with some devices. Mostly handshaking. I do have a review on the 8k cables, like I did for the short length Ruipro4k cables, but I've been asked to not post it yet until Ruipro works a little further with their chipset supplier. The problem has been compounded by COVID-19 and the disruption to the supply chain and production being forced to shutdown by the Chinese Government for a period of time. All I can say at this point in time is that the 8k cable worked very well, at least for 4k HDR and the HDMI 2.0 option sets.

Thanks for the heads up. The cable has so far been rock solid stable with the PC in my theater room pushing 4K/HDR to the receiver in my rack, albeit I noticed that the chips in the cable ends cause the connectors to get a little on the warm side. If I have issues in a few months as I transition to HDMI 2.1 I guess I can cross that bridge then.

82Q90R / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
post #11 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. The cable has so far been rock solid stable with the PC in my theater room pushing 4K/HDR to the receiver in my rack, albeit I noticed that the chips in the cable ends cause the connectors to get a little on the warm side. If I have issues in a few months as I transition to HDMI 2.1 I guess I can cross that bridge then.
Transitioning to HDMI 2.1? There aren't any consumer devices yet that have the new certified HDMI 2.1 chipsets that fully support all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets, let alone source material that will require the 48Gbps bandwidth. Are you planning on upgrading all of your other devices as well? HDMI 2.0 is standardized around 18Gbps so that's the best you can do at present, even with a cable that has been tested and passed for 48Gbps. It all starts with the HDMI chipsets in the source and sink. The cable is just a data path.

EDIT: I just went back and re-read your post. The connector ends should not be warm to the touch because they are only drawing 50mA of power. The heat you feel must be heat transfer from the receiver. How's the air circulation in the back of your rack?

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 03-11-2020 at 01:29 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Transitioning to HDMI 2.1? There aren't any consumer devices yet that have the new certified HDMI 2.1 chipsets that fully support all of the HDMI 2.1 option sets, let alone source material that will require the 48Gbps bandwidth. Are you planning on upgrading all of your other devices as well? HDMI 2.0 is standardized around 18Gbps so that's the best you can do at present, even with a cable that has been tested and passed for 48Gbps. It all starts with the HDMI chipsets in the source and sink. The cable is just a data path.

I am aware of the current state of HDMI 2.1, and yes I will be upgrading across the entire device chain.

The Ruipro cable was purchased as I needed a new cable now. If it works with the new chipsets that will be great but if not it's not a major concern for me.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
EDIT: I just went back and re-read your post. The connector ends should not be warm to the touch because they are only drawing 50mA of power. The heat you feel must be heat transfer from the receiver. How's the air circulation in the back of your rack?

There is a ventilation system installed and circulation is acceptable. Temp at the thermal probe at the top of the rack never rises above 85, but I will put another probe near the receiver to keep an eye on things.

EDIT: It's not just the sink end that gets warm. The source end (HDFury Diva) also gets warm and that is not enclosed in anyway. I just inspected the Diva and that also gets warm to the touch so I suspect you are right about the heat transfer.

Last edited by Nillaz; 03-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
There is a ventilation system installed and circulation is acceptable. Temp at the thermal probe at the top of the rack never rises above 85, but I will put another probe near the receiver to keep an eye on things.

EDIT: It's not just the sink end that gets warm. The source end (HDFury Diva) also gets warm and that is not enclosed in anyway. I just inspected the Diva and that also gets warm to the touch so I suspect you are right about the heat transfer.
Ok. It sounds like you've got a solid plan in place so good luck. Did you install the voltage inserter by any chance?

post #15 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok. It sounds like you've got a solid plan in place so good luck. Did you install the voltage inserter by any chance?

The inserter has so far proved to be unnecessary, but I'm glad that the inserter's power cable is thin and flexible if I do end up needing it though. The close spacing of my HDMI ports would otherwise be problematic unless I am prepared to sharply bend the power wire.

post #16 of 16 Old 03-11-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
The inserter has so far proved to be unnecessary, but I'm glad that the inserter's power cable is thin and flexible if I do end up needing it though. The close spacing of my HDMI ports would otherwise be problematic unless I am prepared to sharply bend the power wire.
My receiver only has one USB 5v/1A port on the front. So to test the inserter, I connected a 1 foot USB 3.0 extension cable to the front and ran it to the side of the receiver. That was plenty enough distance coupled with the 20" USB cable that I could easily supply power to the inserter without straining anything. At least we have them if the need arises. I have quite a few . The downside of using the inserters is that there is supposed to be a slight drop in video performance but I certainly didn't see any with the ATV4k or the UHD/BD player so ymmv on that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page