Monoprice 35ft 22AWG HDMI cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2020, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Monoprice 35ft 22AWG HDMI cable

I've been using the same 35' HDMI cable since 2012. As far as I can tell it still works fine, or at least it always did with my Optoma HD20. Tomorrow my Epson 5040ub is supposed to show up, and from what I've read it sounds like not any ordinary cable will support 4K. I searched monoprice and it's no longer listed. Here's the text on the cable:

E139956-T (UL) Type CL2 Shielded High Performance 22AWG/10C+24/5c - - - - - AWM 20276 80ºC 30V VW-1 COPARTNER

CSA LL84201-F4 CMG FT4 MONOPRICE www.monoprice.com STANDARD HDMI CABLE

Update:
I just found this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3658
Monoprice Commercial Silver Series Standard HDMI Cable - [email protected], 4.95Gbps, 22AWG, CL2, 35ft, Black
Which might be it.

The new projector isn't true 4K, it's doing some pixel shift thing from 1080p. Do you think I'll be good with this cable or do I start learning about active HDMI cables? Regardless I'll be trying it to see what happens, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2020, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkey View Post
I've been using the same 35' HDMI cable since 2012. As far as I can tell it still works fine, or at least it always did with my Optoma HD20. Tomorrow my Epson 5040ub is supposed to show up, and from what I've read it sounds like not any ordinary cable will support 4K. I searched monoprice and it's no longer listed. Here's the text on the cable:

E139956-T (UL) Type CL2 Shielded High Performance 22AWG/10C+24/5c - - - - - AWM 20276 80ºC 30V VW-1 COPARTNER

CSA LL84201-F4 CMG FT4 MONOPRICE www.monoprice.com STANDARD HDMI CABLE

Update:
I just found this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3658
Monoprice Commercial Silver Series Standard HDMI Cable - [email protected], 4.95Gbps, 22AWG, CL2, 35ft, Black
Which might be it.

The new projector isn't true 4K, it's doing some pixel shift thing from 1080p. Do you think I'll be good with this cable or do I start learning about active HDMI cables? Regardless I'll be trying it to see what happens, but any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are going to push 4k and/or 4k HDR, then you should upgrade your cable to a new High Speed HDMI cable. A cable that can meet the HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps) option sets is what you want. However, Certified High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label) are only available up to 25'. So at 35', you'll just have to trust the cable mfr's product description.

Active cables can not be certified yet by an ATC so again you're stuck with the cable mfr's description and promises. The cable is just the data pipe so active cables just make sure that the signal that leaves the source makes it to the sink end with no errors over distances longer than about 20'. There are chipsets in both ends of the cable for error correction, timing, etc to ensure the integrity of the signal and the cable can only be installed in one direction. The cables are usually labeled at both ends that indicates which end goes where.

Keep in mind that a passive cable that indicates it meets the HDMI 2.0 option sets will probably have a thicker wire gauge so you will lose flexibility (bend radius) which can result in increased strain on the HDMI input, which is no bueno. At 35', do you have easy access to your cabling? Is it an in-wall installation?

No cable is 100% guaranteed to work in all setups, regardless of the mfr's claims or product description so there is still some trial and error in finding a cable that will meet your needs.
Malkey likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-16-2020, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
If you are going to push 4k and/or 4k HDR, then you should upgrade your cable to a new High Speed HDMI cable. A cable that can meet the HDMI 2.0 (18Gbps) option sets is what you want. However, Certified High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label) are only available up to 25'. So at 35', you'll just have to trust the cable mfr's product description.

Active cables can not be certified yet by an ATC so again you're stuck with the cable mfr's description and promises. The cable is just the data pipe so active cables just make sure that the signal that leaves the source makes it to the sink end with no errors over distances longer than about 20'. There are chipsets in both ends of the cable for error correction, timing, etc to ensure the integrity of the signal and the cable can only be installed in one direction. The cables are usually labeled at both ends that indicates which end goes where.

Keep in mind that a passive cable that indicates it meets the HDMI 2.0 option sets will probably have a thicker wire gauge so you will lose flexibility (bend radius) which can result in increased strain on the HDMI input, which is no bueno. At 35', do you have easy access to your cabling? Is it an in-wall installation?

No cable is 100% guaranteed to work in all setups, regardless of the mfr's claims or product description so there is still some trial and error in finding a cable that will meet your needs.

Thanks so much! It's not in-wall but all my AV equipment is in front of my screen and the projector is 19 feet behind it. I'm going to see if I can relocate my AVR closer and then I can get a shorter cable. It'll be a heck of a headache but it doesn't seem like I have much choice. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-16-2020, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkey View Post
Thanks so much! It's not in-wall but all my AV equipment is in front of my screen and the projector is 19 feet behind it. I'm going to see if I can relocate my AVR closer and then I can get a shorter cable. It'll be a heck of a headache but it doesn't seem like I have much choice. Thanks for your help.

It's always best if you can shorten the run if at all possible. Especially if you plan on enabling ARC, which seems to work better on runs around 25' or less. Certainly not an absolute because there are some who have zero issues at lengths longer than 25' so again, it's trial and error.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-16-2020, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
It's always best if you can shorten the run if at all possible. Especially if you plan on enabling ARC, which seems to work better on runs around 25' or less. Certainly not an absolute because there are some who have zero issues at lengths longer than 25' so again, it's trial and error.
I need to search for setup ideas I guess. I've never been one to have the AV equipment behind me but it would certainly make this easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page