Upgrading questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked: 255
So i picked up a celerity 35foot 16gb dfo/hdmi when it was the broadest out there, now 18gb is mandatory.

Monoprice has a 35foot 18gb hdmi for $60, would that be an upgrade in ur book :0)

To get the price ya gotta hit the dropdown and select 35’

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14131

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-26-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
So i picked up a celerity 35foot 16gb dfo/hdmi when it was the broadest out there, now 18gb is mandatory.

Monoprice has a 35foot 18gb hdmi for $60, would that be an upgrade in ur book :0)

To get the price ya gotta hit the dropdown and select 35’

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14131

It depends on what you want to push. If it's 4k HDR, then 35' is starting to push the limits of reliability (especially if you need/want eARC). 18Gbps is the standard bandwidth max for HDMI 2.0 and certification by an ATC for passive cables is only good up to 25'. The cable you link to is an active cable, which is not allowed by HDMI.org to be certified. There are no 100% guarantees that any cable will work for all setups so all you can do is try. Celerity cables were and maybe still are a good idea with the connector ends but they have had lots of problems in the past with longevity (reliability). IMO, anything would be an upgrade from Celerity. A lot of us recommend the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables for reliability at that distance and longer, but they are expensive.

At 35', how is your cable installed?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 352
If the cable you have is working and not causing you any issues I would hold out with it until one or other device in your system requires you to update the cable.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
If the cable you have is working and not causing you any issues I would hold out with it until one or other device in your system requires you to update the cable.

Joe
It might be the 1.0m “mystery cable” that is going from my HDFury Vertex2 to my pj. I ordered a Monoprice 18gig copper hdmi cable to at least eliminate that one, the system doesn’t flicker with the 16gig celerity 35foot one when i view a 4K disc

I read somewhere the vertex2 likes at least 6’ or longer of 18gig cabling to avoid the flickering issues

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-27-2020 at 03:22 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I try and always use the HDFury supplied 2m cables on short cable runs to/from the various HDF devices - esp. with any clients who hit issues with other 2m cables.

Joe

post #6 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I try and always use the HDFury supplied 2m cables on short cable runs to/from the various HDF devices - esp. with any clients who hit issues with other 2m cables.

Joe
I never thought about just sourcing the cables through them.....Thanx Joe

post #7 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 09:29 AM

I didn't realize there was a "mystery cable" as well. I thought it was just the Celerity cable in the chain. As always, the advice from @Joe Fernand is solid.

post #8 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I didn't realize there was a "mystery cable" as well. I thought it was just the Celerity cable in the chain. As always, the advice from @Joe Fernand is solid.
The mystery cable goes from my Vertex2 to the Pj, there was alot of flickering so im hoping the 6’ Monoprice will take care of that. I need to donate a box of old hdmi, so they dont keep finding their way back in my system :0)

post #9 of 20 Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
The mystery cable goes from my Vertex2 to the Pj, there was alot of flickering so im hoping the 6’ Monoprice will take care of that. I need to donate a box of old hdmi, so they dont keep finding their way back in my system :0)
I hear ya! I have a 4 drawer file cabinet in the garage that is, or was, crammed with a ton of legacy stuff, mostly cables. As a stay-at-home project I just cleaned it out and put all the cables I don't need or use in a GoodWill box that I will take down once we are able to go out and about again.

post #10 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

There is an issue, im getting screen flashing. If i move the video processor closer to the receiver and use a 6foot4K cable no flashing at all. I need the processor close to the pj because it sports an rs232 port to control my pj.

The rs232 cord provided has a computer connection at one end and a 1/8th inch jack on the other end ( plugs into the processor).
Can i run a 35foot rs232 cable???

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-28-2020 at 07:12 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
There is an issue, im getting screen flashing. If i move the video processor closer to the receiver and use a 6foot4K cable no flashing at all. I need the processor close to the pj because it sports an rs232 port to control my pj.

The rs232 cord provided has a computer connection at one end and a 1/8th inch jack on the other end ( plugs into the processor).
Can i run a 35foot rs232 cable???

Try it. Nobody can tell you for sure that it will or will not work. Setups and equipment are different.

post #12 of 20 Old 03-30-2020, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What is this i read that active hdmi using hdmi power is not the proper way to make powered or active cables, they should get power outside of the connector like a power brick

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-31-2020 at 03:20 AM.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-30-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
What is this i read that active hdmi using hdmi power is not the proper way to make powered or active cables, they should get power outside of the connector mike a power brick

Some HDMI inputs/outputs may have inconsistent current, and given that the power demands necessary for long runs with higher video standards are increasing, that may create issues. Active cables were a godsend for 1080p but long run 4k HDR and beyond is proving to be problematic for some. There have also been quite a few user reports that some projector inputs seem to have a higher rate of current fluctuation. That is purely speculative but some have had good results using a power inserter at the source end (sometimes the sink) to ensure that there is adequate current the length of the cable. Ruipro includes a USB power inserter with their 8k cables for that very reason in case it is needed. The one that Ruipro includes is just a 5v/500mA USB adapter that connects to a USB port, via a cable, and then has a 20" cable that attaches to the HDMI input between the input and the HDMI cable. I've played around with the power inserter but didn't see any difference, but I didn't have any issues either because my runs are short runs. There may be some degradation of the video signal using a power inserter but if there was, it was not perceptible to me.

post #14 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
What is this i read that active hdmi using hdmi power is not the proper way to make powered or active cables, they should get power outside of the connector mike a power brick

Some HDMI inputs/outputs may have inconsistent current, and given that the power demands necessary for long runs with higher video standards are increasing, that may create issues. Active cables were a godsend for 1080p but long run 4k HDR and beyond is proving to be problematic for some. There have also been quite a few user reports that some projector inputs seem to have a higher rate of current fluctuation. That is purely speculative but some have had good results using a power inserter at the source end (sometimes the sink) to ensure that there is adequate current the length of the cable. Ruipro includes a USB power inserter with their 8k cables for that very reason in case it is needed. The one that Ruipro includes is just a 5v/500mA USB adapter that connects to a USB port, via a cable, and then has a 20" cable that attaches to the HDMI input between the input and the HDMI cable. I've played around with the power inserter but didn't see any difference, but I didn't have any issues either because my runs are short runs. There may be some degradation of the video signal using a power inserter but if there was, it was not perceptible to me.
Thanx Otto. I did have issues with my 35’ 16gig celerity ( an older version ). i purchased a powered 35’ cable from monoprice.
If that gives my the same result of flickering im going have to put the processor near my receiver and run a 35’ rs232 to control the pj. Btw, the Vertex2 had no issue with a 6’copper hdmi.
Whodda thought hdmi cables would have such a demanding job.

I read that rs232 had a 50’ range, so a 35’ should be possible if the hdmi cable doesnt work out

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-31-2020 at 03:35 AM.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Joe
Hey Joe,
Any thoughts on a 35’ rs232 cable if my powered HDMI has the same issue and im forced to move the Vertex2 from the pj’s location to the equipment rack giving the processor a 6’ copper hdmi . The rs232 has the 9pin connector on one end and a 3.5mm end. Could i just get a headphone extension cable maintaining the AWG of the one that came with the unit. The processor is a Vertex2.

If I haven’t mentioned yet, the Vertex2 has a rs232 port to control functions in the pj, and seems much more comfortable with a 6’ copper hdmi

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...SABEgL27PD_BwE

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-31-2020 at 03:47 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

'What is this i read that active hdmi using hdmi power is not the proper way to make powered or active cables, they should get power outside of the connector like a power brick' - the customer base demands no power bricks and once the genie was out the hat that it 'may/often does' work it became the norm or you had a hard time 'selling' folk on the idea of external power.

'Any thoughts on a 35’ rs232 cable' - I have seen folk using a headphone extension cable so worth giving it a go.

HDFury would suggest you do not run a cable which requires to draw power from any of the Vertex² HDMI sockets - doesn't stop folk trying it though

Joe

post #17 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
'What is this i read that active hdmi using hdmi power is not the proper way to make powered or active cables, they should get power outside of the connector like a power brick' - the customer base demands no power bricks and once the genie was out the hat that it 'may/often does' work it became the norm or you had a hard time 'selling' folk on the idea of external power.

'Any thoughts on a 35’️ rs232 cable' - I have seen folk using a headphone extension cable so worth giving it a go.

HDFury would suggest you do not run a cable which requires to draw power from any of the Vertex² HDMI sockets - doesn't stop folk trying it though [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Joe
I hear ya joe, while i got ya on the line :0)

Any thoughts on 4K HDR over “SolidCopper” Cat6. This one is pricey but i dont mind spending if im really improving performance and equally improving reliability.
https://www.amazon.com/HDbaseT-Exten.../dp/B0754GSLC2

At this point im saying HDMI cabling from receiver to pj is now a “component” with a price tag to prove it

Last edited by kgveteran; 03-31-2020 at 05:19 AM.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

CAT cable - we use Solid core, Non-CCA/CCS, UTP, CAT6; our usual choice being the BlackBox GigaTrue cable (available in multiple colours) plus matching crimp on connectors.

Extender - whatever you get ensure there is a simple 'returns' option, the 'No hassle' kit is out on its own claiming 'no compression' using whatever proprietary chip set they have. I have seen some folk saying they have had good experiences with them.

Joe

post #19 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 09:29 AM

@kgveteran - I was going to respond to the solid core CAT-6/HDBT question but I see @Joe Fernand has it covered. He's very knowledgeable about all things HDBT so just follow his advice. Another choice for solid copper core CAT-6 is: Sewell product # SW-30625. I've been using their solid core for a few years now to extend ethernet connections to hard wire both of my HTS's by terminating with punch down keystone jacks. For HDMI, just terminate with HDBT but I don't know if the units are shipping with the latest chipsets or not (Valens VS3000?). Maybe Joe can shed some light on that.

post #20 of 20 Old 03-31-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@kgveteran - I was going to respond to the solid core CAT-6/HDBT question but I see @Joe Fernand has it covered. He's very knowledgeable about all things HDBT so just follow his advice. Another choice for solid copper core CAT-6 is: Sewell product # SW-30625. I've been using their solid core for a few years now to extend ethernet connections to hard wire both of my HTS's by terminating with punch down keystone jacks. For HDMI, just terminate with HDBT but I don't know if the units are shipping with the latest chipsets or not (Valens VS3000?). Maybe Joe can shed some light on that.
Picked up a box when you endorsed the solidcore Sewell over in another HDMI thread, i was fix’n an issue at my buddies place, i used two runs, one for optical out and one for hdmi 1080p, baluns are pretty cool
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4E6AED54-7A6E-4682-9AE1-0527C75194A4_1585687245643.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	2703942  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World