Amazon Prime refuses to Stream HD to my Tablet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Amazon Prime refuses to Stream HD to my Tablet

This is my situation:

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10. I have it connected to an older non-smart TV with an HDMI cable. The TV is HDCP compatible. It is a Samsung UN32J5003. A few weeks go, I noticed that Amazon Prime refused to stream HD, with the error message:

Your video will play in standard definition because your computer hardware, HDMI cables, and display must all meet content protection (HDCP) requirements for HD video. This only happens with the HDMI to TV connection, as if I watch it directly on the Surface screen, Amazon will stream in HD. I contacted Amazon and they told me that their own brand of HDMI cable that I had been using I went ahead and upgraded my cable:

8K Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 2.1 Lot ([email protected], [email protected], 48Gbps) HDCP2.2, 4:4:4 HDR.

I had to remove links to the products in order to post this.

As soon as I replaced the cable, Amazon started streaming in HD. Unfortunately, this only lasted one week. With the upgraded cable, Amazon is back to telling me that one of my components does not meet HDCP requirements. Right now, I have the cable connected into a USB to HDMI adaptor, which goes into a USB 3,0 hub, which is connected to the one USB port on the tablet. I have the same problem if I bypass the hb and go directly into the USB Port. I can't use a Mini Display Port to HDMI adaptor, because my Mini Display Port is damaged.

I contacted Amazon support again and they were useless. They had my reboot, and reseat the cabling which didn't help. They left off blaming Samsung and suggested I contact them.

I know the setup has the potential to work, as it did work for a week.

How can I get this working?

Thanks
dragon49 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
REplying to my initial post, as can't figure out how to edit the original. Intended to say that Amazon support told me that the original HDMI cable wasn't HDCP compatible.
dragon49 is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,129
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon49 View Post
REplying to my initial post, as can't figure out how to edit the original. Intended to say that Amazon support told me that the original HDMI cable wasn't HDCP compatible.

First of all, there is no such thing as an "HDMI 2.1" cable. There are cables that have been tested for some of the HDMI 2.1 option sets but that's about all. Besides, it's the HDMI chipsets in the source and sink end that determine what you can ultimately receive, not the cable. The cable is just the data path. "8k" is all marketing fluff at this point in time. The same for the 48Gbps bandwidth.

How long is your cable run? Under 25' all you need is a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (passive) with the QR label of authenticity. Those cables are tested by HDMI.org to meet ALL of the HDMI 2.0 options sets, which includes HDCP 2.2. If over 25', then a hybrid fiber cable is what is recommended. Hybrid fiber cables are active so they can not be certified by HDMI.org, the same as active copper-only cables.

You mention HD. Is that 1080, 4k, or 4k HDR that you are trying to view? Amazon Prime can send 4k HDR so what are you trying to receive?

The most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no extenders, adapters, wall plates, etc in-between. USB to HDMI can be a big problem because one, I don't think USB can handle the data required for 4k and two, if the fiber optic cable from Amazon is active, active cables draw a bit of power from the sink and source end so the cable needs to be connected directly to a power source, either the HDMI input or something like a voltage inserter. 4k HDR can be very finicky with its cable connections.


Another issue could be the HDMI chipsets. While HDMI is backwards compatible, that only means that you will probably get a signal that works but the option sets available will only be the in-common option sets. In other words, if you have an HDMI 2.0 chipset (HDCP 2.2 for example) that is connected to an HDMI 1.4 chipset (HDMI 1.4 doesn't usually contain HDCP 2.2 compatibility), you will only be able to receive data that doesn't require HDCP 2.2 and unfortunately, 4k and beyond requires HDCP 2.2. HDMI 1.4 is fine for 1080p HD content but that's it.


So, it sounds like you have a two-fold problem. One, the "break" in the HDMI chain (USB to HDMI adpater) and two, different HDMI chipsets in your source and sink devices.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post



How long is your cable run?

The cable is 10 feet.


You mention HD. Is that 1080, 4k, or 4k HDR that you are trying to view. Amazon Prime can send 4k HDR so what are you trying to receive?

Only trying to receive 1080. Weird thing is that if I stream TV series from Amazon, they have no problem sending full 1080. They get restrictive with movies, as if they are worried that people with non HDCP equipment will steal the content. I can also get full 1080 HD with both of the cables from Netflix, YouTube, and any other services.



The most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no extenders, adapters, wall plates, etc in-between. USB to HDMI can be a big problem because one, I don't think USB can handle the data required for 4k and two, if the fiber optic cable from Amazon is active, active cables draw a bit of power from the sink and source end so the cable needs to be connected directly to a power source, either the HDMI input or something like a voltage inserter. 4k HDR can be very finicky with its cable connections.

Neither of my cables are active. I have no choice but to use the USB adaptor, as my tablet doesn't have an HDMI port and the mini-display port is damaged. I am not using any extenders.


Another issue could be the HDMI chipsets. While HDMI is backwards compatible, that only means that you will probably get a signal that works but the option sets available will only be the in-common option sets. In other words, if you have an HDMI 2.0 chipset (HDCP 2.2 for example) that is connected to an HDMI 1.4 chipset (HDMI 1.4 doesn't usually contain HDCP 2.2 compatibility), you will only be able to receive data that doesn't require HDCP 2.2 and unfortunately, 4k and beyond requires HDCP 2.2. HDMI 1.4 is fine for 1080p HD content but that's it.

I only need 1080p HD. My TV doesn't support 4K.



So, it sounds like you have a two-fold problem. One, the "break" in the HDMI chain (USB to HDMI adapter) and two, different HDMI chipsets in your source and sink devices.
If I understand your reply correctly, my only problem is the"break" in the HDMI chain, (USB to HDMI adapter) since I don't need 4K. Eventually, I'll go ahead and buy a "Smart" TV, and this won't be an issue, but I'm not throwing all that money at the problem now, just to be able to stream Amazon Prime movies in 1080. Is there a way to solve my problem using my existing equipment? I don't mind spending a little bit on money on a different USB to HDMI adaptor, if that would help.

Can the core problem be that the "break" in the HDMI chain, (USB to HDMI adapter) disables the copy protection functionality of the HDCP HDMI cable, which Amazon detects and disables HD streaming with Prime movies? If so, am I just screwed, with no options to fix the issue with my existing equipment?

Thanks
dragon49 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry for all the bad formatting. If there were a way to edit, I'd put all the quotes in the right places.
dragon49 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,129
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon49 View Post
If I understand your reply correctly, my only problem is the"break" in the HDMI chain, (USB to HDMI adapter) since I don't need 4K. Eventually, I'll go ahead and buy a "Smart" TV, and this won't be an issue, but I'm not throwing all that money at the problem now, just to be able to stream Amazon Prime movies in 1080. Is there a way to solve my problem using my existing equipment? I don't mind spending a little bit on money on a different USB to HDMI adaptor, if that would help.

Can the core problem be that the "break" in the HDMI chain, (USB to HDMI adapter) disables the copy protection functionality of the HDCP HDMI cable, which Amazon detects and disables HD streaming with Prime movies? If so, am I just screwed, with no options to fix the issue with my existing equipment?

Thanks
At 10', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable with the QR label for authenticity is all you need. Premium cables are certified by HDMI.org to meet all HDMI 2.0 options sets as well as HDCP 2.2. The cables are passive. Just be mindful of bend radius. I used BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables for a long time for HD and 4k HDR with zero issues. 1080p is much more forgiving so a Premium cable would work just fine. Hybrid fiber or fiber only cables are an overkill.

Unless there is a configuration setting that you've missed with you computer, the video stream should be able to recognize the computer's capability and send the proper stream. That being said, if your computer is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, you'll have issues. I would suggest finding out which HDMI chipsets your Win10 box has. If it's HDMI 2.0, then I'd get the HDMI input fixed and do away with the USB dongle because that's probably a contributing factor as well. The cable is just the data pipe. It's the HDMI chipsets that determine what you can and can not do.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
At 10', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable with the QR label for authenticity is all you need. Premium cables are certified by HDMI.org to meet all HDMI 2.0 options sets as well as HDCP 2.2. The cables are passive. Just be mindful of bend radius. I used BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables for a long time for HD and 4k HDR with zero issues. 1080p is much more forgiving so a Premium cable would work just fine. Hybrid fiber or fiber only cables are an overkill.

Unless there is a configuration setting that you've missed with you computer, the video stream should be able to recognize the computer's capability and send the proper stream. That being said, if your computer is not HDCP 2.2 compliant, you'll have issues. I would suggest finding out which HDMI chipsets your Win10 box has. If it's HDMI 2.0, then I'd get the HDMI input fixed and do away with the USB dongle because that's probably a contributing factor as well. The cable is just the data pipe. It's the HDMI chipsets that determine what you can and can not do.
My tablet does not have an HDMI port. It has a Mini-Display port. This can be used with a Mini-Display port to HDMI adapter, but I can't use the port, because some pins are bent. Not cost-effective to fix, and I don't even know if this can be fixed, or if I used this converter instead, if it would even fix the problem. This is why I use the USB to HDMI converter. My best guess is that the USB to HDMI converter is indeed breaking the HDCP compliance. I installed a Cyberlink Ultra HD Blu-Ray Advisor program and when I ran it a Blu-Ray disk checker, it told me that a HDCP compliant display was not available. When I ran the test without the tablet connected to my TV, that portion of the test passed.

There must be some way to "hack" this. I'm not a pirater. I don't intend illegally sell or stream movies; I just want to get the quality of videos that I am paying for. With all the information that I provided, any additional ideas?
dragon49 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 16,129
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon49 View Post
My tablet does not have an HDMI port. It has a Mini-Display port. This can be used with a Mini-Display port to HDMI adapter, but I can't use the port, because some pins are bent. Not cost-effective to fix, and I don't even know if this can be fixed, or if I used this converter instead, if it would even fix the problem. This is why I use the USB to HDMI converter. My best guess is that the USB to HDMI converter is indeed breaking the HDCP compliance. I installed a Cyberlink Ultra HD Blu-Ray Advisor program and when I ran it a Blu-Ray disk checker, it told me that a HDCP compliant display was not available. When I ran the test without the tablet connected to my TV, that portion of the test passed.

There must be some way to "hack" this. I'm not a pirater. I don't intend illegally sell or stream movies; I just want to get the quality of videos that I am paying for. With all the information that I provided, any additional ideas?
Dump the Surface Pro 4 and get a newer laptop so you can connect HDMI to HDMI with a certified cable. Or at least MDP to HDMI. Problem solved for HD 1080p at least. Or get a Smart TV and watch AP from the built-in apps. Or stream AP on your Surface Pro 4.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off