ruipro vs belkin vs monoprice 2.1 hdmi cable? which to buy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By wyvern6
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 27 Old 04-25-2020, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
ruipro vs belkin vs monoprice 2.1 hdmi cable? which to buy?

Im looking for an 2.1 hdmi cable under 3-10 feet to connect my pc to my monitor, improve picture quality, and reduce eye strain. checking out their prices they look inexpensive for lengths under 10 ft so why not get 2.1 hdmi. anyone have a recommendation on which i should get?
head_unit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-26-2020, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
All yours Otto!

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 27 Old 04-27-2020, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 354
'hdmi cable under 3-10 feet to connect my pc to my monitor' - pretty much any HDMI cable ought to be fine for HD and 4K UHD at the indicated lengths.

'improve picture quality, and reduce eye strain' - choice of Display, refresh rate, lighting, seating, positioning all at play, HDMI cable choice not a factor.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'hdmi cable under 3-10 feet to connect my pc to my monitor' - pretty much any HDMI cable ought to be fine for HD and 4K UHD at the indicated lengths.

'improve picture quality, and reduce eye strain' - choice of Display, refresh rate, lighting, seating, positioning all at play, HDMI cable choice not a factor.

Joe
I have the Belkin Ultra High Speed HDMI cable and got it when it first came on the market years ago. It works fine for HDMI 2.0. I do not have a source or display capable of 2.1 features that 2.0 cannot handle and think few people other than game players are using any 2.1 features.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #5 of 27 Old 04-29-2020, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 354
'when it first came on the market years ago' - how many years ahead of the release of the certification programme for Ultra High Speed HDMI cables, which arrived in Jan 2020

You have a cable with 'Ultra' printed on it somewhere - that is not the same as a Certified Ultra High Speed cable

Hopefully your cable will work once you start to push the new features across the cable.

Joe

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/UltraHighSpeedCable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMIorg_ultrahighspeedcable.png
Views:	7
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2718334  

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'when it first came on the market years ago' - how many years ahead of the release of the certification programme for Ultra High Speed HDMI cables, which arrived in Jan 2020

You have a cable with 'Ultra' printed on it somewhere - that is not the same as a Certified Ultra High Speed cable

Hopefully your cable will work once you start to push the new features across the cable.

Joe

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/UltraHighSpeedCable
I agree that I do not have certified cables. I still have the box they came in that says ultra high speed. I think I bought the Belkin cables in 2016 because I believed my existing cables were not 18GBPS sufficient for carrying 4K UHD and atmos. I also wanted to be prepared for the future and $30 a piece for three cables was not a big bite. And the cables are not in the walls so they are easy to change out. And finally for me HDMI 2.1 is not something I need now and perhaps will never need as I expect, (conjecture-your guess is as good as mine, perhaps better), HDMI will become obsolete.

Additionally to get HDMI 2.1 I would need to get newer equipment than my LG Oled 65 e6p and my Oppo UDP 203 both of which I like.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 04-30-2020 at 11:05 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
I agree that I do not have certified cables. I still have the box they came in that says ultra high speed. I think I bought the Belkin cables in 2016 because I believed my existing cables were not 18GBPS sufficient for carrying 4K UHD and atmos. I also wanted to be prepared for the future and $30 a piece for three cables was not a big bite. And the cables are not in the walls so they are easy to change out. And finally for me HDMI 2.1 is not something I need now and perhaps will never need as I expect, (conjecture-your guess is as good as mine, perhaps better), HDMI will become obsolete.

Additionally to get HDMI 2.1 I would need to get newer equipment than my LG Oled 65 e6p and my Oppo UDP 203 both of which I like.

The term "Ultra" was used a lot when HDMI 2.1 was first ratified and talked about. The Belkin cable claims were market-speak with claims of HDMI 2.1 capabilities (48Gbps). Those claims were totally unfounded or at least not verifiable. It really was a shame because Belkin makes really good cables (I've used them myself in the past with no issues). 48Gbps is meaningless unless you have the HDMI 2.1 chipsets in both source and sink to send data at that rate and you have source material that requires it. HDMI 2.0 is still the standard in HDMI chipsets so 18Gbps is what the option sets are standardized to.

My rule of thumb is any run up to 20', use Premium High Speed HDMI cables (certified for HDMI 2.0 option sets and will come with the QR label).
For runs over that distance, and 4k HDR, a hybrid fiber cable is recommended. They are expensive but the cable design and proprietary chipsets used seem to be the most reliable for the long runs. 4k HDR can be really finicky with its cable type and installation on those long runs.

I really hate HDMI and wish it would go away in the future but I fear the force is too strong now to change. And yes, at this point in time I have no need for HDMI 2.1 because HDMI 2.0 is sufficient for eARC, Atmos, and VRR (for you gamers). The only "need" for HDMI 2.1 now would probably be in the gaming market. Nobody needs 48Gbps now anyway.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
All yours Otto!

He messaged me. BTW, hope you are staying safe and healthy back there.

post #9 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
He messaged me. BTW, hope you are staying safe and healthy back there.
Hangin' in there. I haven't intentionally tripped other shoppers in the grocery store. Yet.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #10 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Hangin' in there. I haven't intentionally tripped other shoppers in the grocery store. Yet.

Same here. I just wait till the hoarders turn their backs and then I take the items they are hoarding and put them back on the shelf.

post #11 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 04:36 PM

Good idea!
I was at the store today. Got there at 6:45 am (opens at 7). About 30th person in the wait line.
Once inside, people (loose term) were pushing their carts through the aisles like there was only 1 of everything on their list.
Did you ever see the game show "Supermarket Sweep"?

post #12 of 27 Old 04-30-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Good idea!
I was at the store today. Got there at 6:45 am (opens at 7). About 30th person in the wait line.
Once inside, people (loose term) were pushing their carts through the aisles like there was only 1 of everything on their list.
Did you ever see the game show "Supermarket Sweep"?

Supermarket Sweep? Gawd that sounds familiar Yeah I don't get the grocery store thing. Pretty soon there will be a run on freezers for the garages so folks can purchase hundreds of pounds of meat and chicken for the coming shortage, real or imagined .
Ratman likes this.

post #13 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 04:28 AM

post #14 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I can't believe you took the time to find a clip

post #15 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Only took a few seconds.

post #16 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Only took a few seconds.

Lockdown getting to you

post #17 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 04:06 PM

Nope.
Just people.

post #18 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Question:
Are certified HDMI cables a must like Premium gasoline is for my Corvette? I am just asking.

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.
post #19 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 423
As a side, I have some long run cables from mono-price and ruipro and can say both have worked well and both had extremely good customer service.
My ruipro was shipped from amazon and was damaged but ruipro replaced it themselves quickly and efficiently.
I had one of my mono-price orders missing a cable (bought like 20 things) and they fixed it right up no problem.
post #20 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Question:
Are certified HDMI cables a must like Premium gasoline is for my Corvette? I am just asking.
Required no, but some of the cheap cables don't cut the grade for full 18Gbps speed so a certified premium cable *should* work at full speed w/o issue.

This doesn't mean there wont be defects etc.
If someone spends the money to certify the product you can have more confidence it works.

With the 48Gbps speeds needed for hdmi 2.1 it will be more important not to use a cheap cable.
I don't mean spend 100$ on a 10' cable but use something that is certified and from a known good cable vendor.
For longer than 10' runs, 2.1 cables will most likely be active cables with optical interfaces to HDMI and be more costly than their 2.0 count parts of the same length.

My 50' Ruipro 2.0 cable is an active cable like this and works flawlessly.

From one car guy to another much like your corvette, if you want it to run properly as intended by the manufacturer use the premium fuel (cable) to ensure your getting all you should be from your vehicle (display device), but no need to run $15/gallon 95 octane race fuel ($100 10' hdmi cable).

The difference here is you lose a few HP from running regular fuel, but if the cable doesn't support the desired speed various problems can manifest itself that are worse/or more irritating than losing a few HP.

Last edited by theblackangus; 05-01-2020 at 04:41 PM.
post #21 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackangus View Post
Required no, but some of the cheap cables don't cut the grade for full 18Gbps speed so a certified premium cable *should* work at full speed w/o issue.

This doesn't mean there wont be defects etc.
If someone spends the money to certify the product you can have more confidence it works.

With the 48Gbps speeds needed for hdmi 2.1 it will be more important not to use a cheap cable.
I don't mean spend 100$ on a 10' cable but use something that is certified and from a known good cable vendor.
For longer than 10' runs, 2.1 cables will most likely be active cables with optical interfaces to HDMI and be more costly than their 2.0 count parts of the same length.

From one car guy to another much like your corvette, if you want it to run properly as intended by the manufacturer use the premium fuel (cable) to ensure your getting all you should be from your vehicle (display device), but no need to run $15/gallon 95 octane race fuel ($100 10' hdmi cable).

The difference here is you lose a few HP from running regular fuel, but if the cable doesn't support the desired speed various problems can manifest itself that are worse/or more irritating than losing a few HP.
I appreciate your response. Your explanation is great filled with valuable details/info/data. The main reason I ask is that the "certified" label pops-up a lot in this forum.
I will mention my humble Home Theater gear and HDMI cables. My 4K UHD TV is the TCL 55R625. The AVR is the Onkyo TX-RZ820 and my 4K UHD BD player is the Sony UBP-X800M2. I guess my most expensive HDMI cable is the Audioquest Pearl which provides audio for the Sony. The rest of the HDMI cables are Atevon and a Twisted Veins HDMI cable from the Dish Hopper 3 to the Onkyo. There is not any HDMI cable longer than six feet.
I have not had any audio nor video or even ARC problems. Since I am not an expert suffice to say I am very lucky.

"Feels great, baby." SF 49ers QB Jimmy G.

Last edited by Transistorious; 05-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.
post #22 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also the shorter the cable the better chance it will work as desired, as the signal speed is easier to keep up at shorter distances.
Certified is just to say that there is much better confidence it should work at full speed, even then your mileage may vary because of electronics implementations.
Many non-certified cables are good and a bit cheaper, but to me its worth an extra few dollars (or even 10's of dollars) to get a well constructed cable that just works w/o issue.

Most people don't have problems but when they do it often seems that they have changed out a device and a cable that worked before is now causing problems with the new device combination. It will work but then have sporadic video or audio problem so people think its the new device but its actually the cable and they only find that much later after much angst!

Cheers good sir!

Last edited by theblackangus; 05-01-2020 at 06:07 PM.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern6 View Post
Im looking for an 2.1 hdmi cable under 3-10 feet to connect my pc to my monitor, improve picture quality, and reduce eye strain. checking out their prices they look inexpensive for lengths under 10 ft so why not get 2.1 hdmi. anyone have a recommendation on which i should get?
So short most cables should be fine. I like
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store...hdmi-cable.htm
because as an engineer I appreciate their information
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/artic...nformation.htm
instead of doubletalk, fancy labels, and mumbo-jumbo
post #24 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistorious View Post
Question:

Premium High Speed HDMI cables (with the QR label) just gives the consumer the confidence that the cable has been tested and certified by HDMI.org to meet all of the HDMI 2.0 option sets. It's not a 100% guarantee that the cable will work in all setups but it is as good as you can get for cable reliability. And, because any cable mfr can submit their cables for certification should they choose to pay for it, prices are relatively cheap. However, certification for passive cables is only good up to 25' and active cables, whether they are copper only, fiber, or hybrid fiber cannot be certified by HDMI.org.

post #25 of 27 Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Technically, 48Gbps is not required for HDMI 2.1. There are option sets, like eARC and VRR that work quite well with the HDMI 2.0 chipsets. 48Gbps will be needed for higher video standards like 8k but until there are HDMI 2.1 chipsets that can actually transmit at 48Gbps, and there is content that requires that bandwidth, 48Gbps is really meaningless.

The HDMI 2.1 specs dictate that passive cables can meet the HDMI 2.1 option sets at 1m - 3m (3' - 9'). Beyond that, certification becomes dicey and while the connectors can meet the CTS requirements for HDMI 2.1, the cable in-between can be an issue until there is a certification process for the entire product.

Active cables for longer runs will be necessary. Hybrid fiber cables will be, and are, the cable of choice for long 4k HDR runs and beyond. However, the longer the run, problems may be encountered. Mostly due the power draw at the source and/or sink end. 4k HDR with active cables can be very finicky with the consistency of the current output (50mA). That's not a lot but at the longer lengths any variability can affect the data. Some devices are more consistent with their HDMI current output than others. A voltage inserter may be needed. It's still a bit of trial and error because there are no 100% guarantees.

Ruipro4k cables are what is recommended for 4k HDR runs over about 20', as you mentioned. They do work very well. I have been testing shorter length Ruipro4k cables for a long time now and have also tested the newer 8k cables as well. Ruipro will be coming out with an improved version of their 4k cables and the new version of their 8k cables should be released in the near future once they get back up and running at 100% after the CV-19 shutdowns.
theblackangus likes this.

post #26 of 27 Old 05-02-2020, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Technically, 48Gbps is not required for HDMI 2.1. There are option sets, like eARC and VRR that work quite well with the HDMI 2.0 chipsets. 48Gbps will be needed for higher video standards like 8k but until there are HDMI 2.1 chipsets that can actually transmit at 48Gbps, and there is content that requires that bandwidth, 48Gbps is really meaningless.

Very true I was trying to be brief and not write a book on it =-).
Most people who what HDMI 2.1 want it for 4k high refresh rates or 4k 4:4:4 12-bit color which is quite a bit more bandwidth than 18Gbps. (In general)

The next gen consoles and PC video cards will (hopefully on the PC side) have this capability.

What you mentioned above is why the HDMI board should be taken to a mental asylum.
post #27 of 27 Old 05-02-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:

What you mentioned above is why the HDMI board should be taken to a mental asylum.

I agree 100%! I really dislike HDMI.
Ratman likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page