Any reason not to get "2.1" cables for 4K? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2020, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Any reason not to get "2.1" cables for 4K?

I'm upgrading from a 1080p TV to a 4K. I'm going to replace the two HDMI cables that connect the UHD Bluray player, the receiver, and the TV. Is there any reason not to spend a few more dollars and potentially future-proof myself by purchasing "Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables" instead of "Premium High Speed" cables?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I'm upgrading from a 1080p TV to a 4K. I'm going to replace the two HDMI cables that connect the UHD Bluray player, the receiver, and the TV. Is there any reason not to spend a few more dollars and potentially future-proof myself by purchasing "Ultra High Speed HDMI Cables" instead of "Premium High Speed" cables?

Thanks.

If your cable run is in-wall, then the ONLY future proof you can do is install conduit. Video technology will always outpace connection technology so you need to be able to easily and safely upgrade your cabling as need be. If you have easy access to your cables, then you don't need conduit but the idea is the same.

Until devices come with the latest HDMI 2.1 chipsets that have been validated for all of the HDMI 2.1 options sets, you'd probably be fine with cables that have been certified for HDMI 2.0 (Premium High Speed HDMI cables with the QR label). However, if your run is over 20' or so, the recommendation would be for a hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro4k. They are active so they cannot be certified by HDMI.org but they are tested by an ATC to meet all the HDMI 2.0 options sets. eARC and VRR, part of the HDMI 2.1 options sets, are possible with the HDMI 2.0 chipsets if the mfr chooses to upgrade the devices.

48Gbps, UHS HDMI cables, are starting to come to market with the connectors validated for UHS but not necessarily the cable in-between the connectors. However, most consumer devices still only have the HDMI 2.0b (18Gbps) chipsets which is just fine for 4k HDR (DV, HDR10, etc), eARC, HD Audio, etc so even if you have a cable that can transmit at 48Gbps, the HDMI chipsets are only standardized around 18Gbps so it's kinda useless.

The cable is just the data pipe. It's the HDMI chipsets at the source and sink end that determine what you ultimately get. How long is your run?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2020, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 353
'Any reason not to get "2.1" cables for 4K? - unless your current cables do not to work with your kit once the new TV is installed there is no reason to change them.

How long are your cable runs?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2020, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Thanks for such informative replies. My situation is not that serious. My cables are not in-wall; they are easily accessible. And I only need short cables; maybe two 6-feet cables, or one 6-foot and one 3-foot.

The cables I have now work fine in my 1080p system. I checked when I bought them from Amazon and I was surprised to see that they are over 10 years old (When I was a young man). My main thought is why not spend an extra $20 or whatever so that in say, 5 years from now if I need to swap out a cable for some reason, I'd rather have 48Gbps cables laying around than 18Gbps cables.

I was also thinking (without any evidence or knowledge of how the cables are designed), that perhaps it doesn't hurt to have a bit of headroom when sending a 18Gbps signal thru the cable.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2020, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked: 2765
Maybe in 5 years, you may need a 96Gbps cable.
Save the $20 and use it for a "new" cable when necessary.
meli likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for such informative replies. My situation is not that serious. My cables are not in-wall; they are easily accessible. And I only need short cables; maybe two 6-feet cables, or one 6-foot and one 3-foot.

The cables I have now work fine in my 1080p system. I checked when I bought them from Amazon and I was surprised to see that they are over 10 years old (When I was a young man). My main thought is why not spend an extra $20 or whatever so that in say, 5 years from now if I need to swap out a cable for some reason, I'd rather have 48Gbps cables laying around than 18Gbps cables.

I was also thinking (without any evidence or knowledge of how the cables are designed), that perhaps it doesn't hurt to have a bit of headroom when sending a 18Gbps signal thru the cable.

At 6', I wouldn't worry about UHS cables. Certified Premium High Speed should do you fine because upgrading your cables down the road won't be difficult.

The only way you can transmit at a faster data rate is if the HDMI chipsets in the source end are capable of faster bandwidth (i.e. HDMI 2.1 chipsets that are rated at 48Gbps), and there aren't any consumer devices yet that have those chipsets let alone any source material that can take advantage of the increased bandwidth. As I've said, the cable is just the data pipe. It cannot modify the signal beyond what is originally being sent from the source (reds can't be any redder, speeds can't be any faster etc.). Besides, everything is currently standardized around 18Gbps so even if you could achieve a higher bandwidth, it would be meaningless.
meli likes this.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2020, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Thanks.
No, I purchased 8K cables from audiano, zeskit and cable matters, all are great and I did see and hear improvements. Cable Matters 8k from Amazon comes in a three pack and is not expensive.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post
No, I purchased 8K cables from audiano, zeskit and cable matters, all are great and I did see and hear improvements. Cable Matters 8k from Amazon comes in a three pack and is not expensive.

If any of those cables work for you then they're good cables, for you. That being said:

The Audiano 8k cables from Amazon are 6' passive cables, so they should work. No mention of CTS testing and they are advertised as "HDMI 2.1" cables which is something that HDMI.org asked cable mfrs years ago not to do. If they truly were 48Gbps certified, they should mention CTS testing and be advertised as Ultra High Speed HDMI cables.

The Zeskit 8k cables from Amazon are also 6' passive cables. They do mention that the connectors are CTS tested so they can use the Ultra High Speed name. However, without having any devices that have been certified to transmit at 48Gbps along with source material that requires the additional bandwidth performance can't be independently validated (in-home use).

Cable Matters 8k cables from Amazon are 6' passive cables as well. They do not mention CTS testing and carefully label their cables as "Ultra 8k HDMI Cables", not Ultra High Speed HDMI cables. That's done to confuse the consumer. Again, no way to validate their 48Gbps bandwidth claim which again, is meaningless at this point it time.

Whether the cable can actually transmit data at 48Gbps with future consumer devices has yet to be proven. HDMI 2.0 is standardized around 18Gbps, which means, among other things, that the data from the source to the sink is sent at that bandwidth. There is no "overhead" to help it along.

The cable is just a data pipe. You either get the signal/data as it was originally transmitted without errors or not. The cable itself cannot improve pq other than an error-free connection. It cannot make reds any redder or greens any greener.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page