1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman

post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2020, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need help!

I have a Denon AVR-X3600H connected to an Epson 6050UB projector, installed professionally in October 2019. They are about 25 feet apart. Everything worked great for a few months and then the video went out. I replaced the HDMI cable and it worked great for about a week. The company replaced the cable again and it works for about 1 minute. When I start the system (with my Control 4) it works for just a minute. Using the Roku, I can see the screen saver but as soon as I try to go to Netflix or any actual service, the screen goes black and it says no HDMI source.

Is this a cable problem, AVR issue or projector issue? Is there a setting that might be wrong and causing this? What are the steps to figure it out? I lost faith in the HT install company to get this right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macondawg View Post
Is this a cable problem, AVR issue or projector issue? Is there a setting that might be wrong and causing this? What are the steps to figure it out? I lost faith in the HT install company to get this right
It could be one device or a combination.

You've replaced cables, so... perhaps not the cable. There must be more than "one" HDMI cable though.

Is Roku the only video source device?
Does it happen with Bluray or similar sources?
Keep the professional installer in the loop... you've paid for the service.
Jonas2 likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2020, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
What kind of HDMI cables did you use/replace with and is "about 25'" the real distance? Any wall plates, extenders, adapters, etc involved?

@Ratman has good questions as well.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-30-2020, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Roku is not the only source and it occurs on all sources. The installer is in the loop, I just lost faith that he can resolve the issues. The HDMI cables were provided by the installer and the invoice says : HDMI 4K / AUDIO RETURN WITH CHIP HIGH PERFORMANCE. They charged me by the foot. The cables go up the wall and through the ceiling to the projector. I was charged for 35 feet, so I assume that is the true run length. No wall plates, extenders or adapters - the cable is run straight from AVR to projector.

I was hoping it was a setting somewhere that I could just change. Unfortunately, I can't see the AVR settings because there is no video. I even tried connecting the HDMI straight to the Roku to bypass the AVR but it did not change. I can try again tonight and use the Blu-Ray or cable box instead. Its weird because it worked perfectly for months, then nothing
post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Roku is not the only source and it occurs on all sources. The installer is in the loop, I just lost faith that he can resolve the issues. The HDMI cables were provided by the installer and the invoice says : HDMI 4K / AUDIO RETURN WITH CHIP HIGH PERFORMANCE. They charged me by the foot. The cables go up the wall and through the ceiling to the projector. I was charged for 35 feet, so I assume that is the true run length. No wall plates, extenders or adapters - the cable is run straight from AVR to projector.

I was hoping it was a setting somewhere that I could just change. Unfortunately, I can't see the AVR settings because there is no video. I even tried connecting the HDMI straight to the Roku to bypass the AVR but it did not change. I can try again tonight and use the Blu-Ray or cable box instead. Its weird because it worked perfectly for months, then nothing

Typically, cables that installers use are not the highest quality cables you could use and without knowing any other information than what is on the invoice, you can't even look up the cable to see what it is. "With Chip High Performance" indicates to me that the cable is active, which also means that the cable can only be installed in one direction. Being as the cable worked before in its present install location you will have to assume that it was installed in the correct orientation.

Is the cable installed in a conduit with a pull sting (it should have been for an in-wall installation)? Installing in a conduit is the ONLY way to future proof because that makes for replacing/upgrading your cable as needed safer and easier. It is also easier to control bend radius. A too sharp of a bend radius can affect data transmission over time due to the bending of the wires. Also, if the active cable was not from a reputable mfr, the chipsets used could have been sub-par which means that they could fail over time. Any active cable can fail so that's why you go with a known mfr and use conduit for those long runs or in-wall installations.

For runs over about 20'-25' the recommendation is to use a hybrid fiber cable for 4k HDR. They are expensive but due to their design characteristics they seem to perform much better than passive cables or active copper-only cables.

Another possible issue is the projector. We have seen quite a few reported issues with projectors, active cables, and 4k HDR. There isn't a definitive answer but some feel that the current output of some projectors seems to fluctuate enough that the power draw from the active cable isn't sufficient enough to keep the signal intact and consistent. That being said, some have had success using a power inserter to constantly provide the 5V/50mA current that the active cable requires.

So, was conduit used?
What kind of cable is installed, active or passive?
If active, is it copper-only or hybrid fiber?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2020, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Do you also have a Display (TV) connected to the AVR?

If yes try toggling the AVR HDMI Output between A and B rather than leaving it in the default A+B.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Following up - the installer company owner came out today. The guys had connected the HDMI to input 2 on the projector but never changed it on Control 4. When the equipment would start it would show the source for a few seconds until it switched back to input 1 as programmed. I would never have thought to check that. Seems to be working great again. Thanks for everyone's help!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-01-2020, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2782 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Keep the professional installer in the loop... you've paid for the service.
Quote:
Following up - the installer company owner came out today. Seems to be working great again.
Occam's razor.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page