HDMI close to 240V power cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-02-2020, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI close to 240V power cable

I need a 10 meters HDMI connection from my receiver to my projector. Unfortunately most of the way it needs to run along the 240V power cable for the projector. They each run in a separate cable canal but are still very close.

This has given stability problems with even an expensive and well shielded HDMI cable, even though I only need 1080P.

Until recently I used a Goobay hybrid cable that uses fiber and it worked well until it started not working and probably emitting garbage, as my receiver will not even play sound through it own speakers if the cable is just connected. Installing the cable takes quite a while, so I will not just get another of the same that may break in a year.

Any other suggestions?

A fiber solution that will not break? I am sure I did not break the fiber itself as most of it is in cable canals and the rest is tightly controlled.
A HDMI over ethernet? The come in many price ranges and often promises the same.
Wireless HDMI, is that so stable that you would watch a movie?

Many spoutions quickly becomes so expensive that I might as well get an electrician to install a power cable and HDMI cable far away from each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-03-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4038 Post(s)
Liked: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Mikkelsen View Post
I need a 10 meters HDMI connection from my receiver to my projector. Unfortunately most of the way it needs to run along the 240V power cable for the projector. They each run in a separate cable canal but are still very close.

This has given stability problems with even an expensive and well shielded HDMI cable, even though I only need 1080P.

Until recently I used a Goobay hybrid cable that uses fiber and it worked well until it started not working and probably emitting garbage, as my receiver will not even play sound through it own speakers if the cable is just connected. Installing the cable takes quite a while, so I will not just get another of the same that may break in a year.

Any other suggestions?

A fiber solution that will not break? I am sure I did not break the fiber itself as most of it is in cable canals and the rest is tightly controlled.
A HDMI over ethernet? The come in many price ranges and often promises the same.
Wireless HDMI, is that so stable that you would watch a movie?

Many spoutions quickly becomes so expensive that I might as well get an electrician to install a power cable and HDMI cable far away from each other.

I think the general rule of thumb is to keep your LV wiring as far away from your HV wiring as is possible. There may be a way to adequately shield the existing HV wiring but I don't know.

HDMI over ethernet is basically HDBT. The best use of HDBT is to use solid core CAT-6a (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated CAT-6a) cable so it sounds like you'd be needing to run new wire anyway. If your conduit (cable canals?) is 1.5" - 2.0" in diameter then you should be able to CAREFULLY pull new cable. With the conduit, you could also run extra solid core CAT-6a and terminate with punch down keystone jacks to extend an ethernet connection if you wanted to hard wire your HTS (that's what I've done). Installing a pull string also facilitates pulling wire.

Wireless HDMI is iffy at best and would probably cause you more headaches than it's worth, if you could find a system.

10m is going to be tough for any cable type. What is recommended for 4k HDR at that length is hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k). However, they are expensive but do get very good reviews from actual users on this forum and elsewhere. The most reliable connection will be a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. There have also been quite a few reported issues with projectors and active cables (the hybrid fiber cables are active) so some have had success using a voltage inserter in conjuntion with the cable.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
... (non-CCS/CCA and not pre-terminated CAT-6a) ...
You've always been careful to include that disclaimer ... are CCS and CCA copper coated steel and aluminum or something else? I've never seen either of those used in cat 5/5e/6/6a cables? Do you run into it often?

Most (all?) of the pre-terminated are stranded wire; higher loss and at least some not rated for in-wall use anyway. I 100% agree with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2020, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4038 Post(s)
Liked: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum View Post
You've always been careful to include that disclaimer ... are CCS and CCA copper coated steel and aluminum or something else? I've never seen either of those used in cat 5/5e/6/6a cables? Do you run into it often?

Most (all?) of the pre-terminated are stranded wire; higher loss and at least some not rated for in-wall use anyway. I 100% agree with that.

CCA = Copper Coated Aluminum and CCS = Copper Coated Steel. I've just always looked for solid copper wire and if the product description didn't mention it, I didn't buy it. Usually the cheaper solid core CAT6 cable is CCS or CCA. Even some of the spools at Home Depot or Lowe's I've seen listed as CCS or CCA wire. I just did some rewiring about 2 years ago so I could hard wire the home theater systems and the satellite Mesh WiFi extenders and purchased the wiring from Sewell online. It's not cheap (not real expensive either) but you do get complete product specs. My CAT-6 runs are well over 100' and have not had any issues whatsoever with ethernet.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-04-2020, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've seen it for coaxial cable often ... "RG58" and "RG6". Cheap car jumper cables (Harbor Fright for sure) are big on CCA but that's the only use I personally have seen for it. Now that you've enlightened me, I'll look. Very unlikely I'll be buying any more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Tags
hdmi , power cable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page