• 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 6 Old 05-10-2020, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hdmi

Hi, I'm very sorry to post like this but I seem to be in a minefield of information that just doesn't seem to be making sense, after pages and pages of forums I wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction. I am currently renovating my house, installing many many cables for future proof. I have a Big TV in my soon to be kitchen with an AV AMP housed in a utility room. I need to run 2 HDMI cables to that room for sound, 1 for primary use and one for backup. I would like these to be as future proof as possible as I don't want to be reinstalling them anytime soon. The run is around 8-9 meters, I could take a 8 at a push. Could you advise on a cable to buy?

I need 2 so I cant really pay over the odds.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2020, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Middleton View Post

Thanks in advance
what??
post #3 of 6 Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
what??

Sorry, that did not read well!!!!!

*I need 2 cables, 1 as a primary and 1 as a back up. I don't want to be paying £100's per cable.*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
I'll have to remember that phrase when I visit the UK.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Hi, I'm very sorry to post like this but I seem to be in a minefield of information that just doesn't seem to be making sense, after pages and pages of forums I wondered if you guys could point me in the right direction. I am currently renovating my house, installing many many cables for future proof. I have a Big TV in my soon to be kitchen with an AV AMP housed in a utility room. I need to run 2 HDMI cables to that room for sound, 1 for primary use and one for backup. I would like these to be as future proof as possible as I don't want to be reinstalling them anytime soon. The run is around 8-9 meters, I could take a 8 at a push. Could you advise on a cable to buy?

Thanks in advance
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=fiber+o...b_sb_ss_i_4_16

Roll the dice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ipca204 likes this.

Tristan Jones
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2020, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:

Thanks in advance

For 4k HDR up to 25 (8m) a Premium High Speed HDMI cable, with the QR label for authenticity, is recommended.
For 4k HDR over 25' (8m) a hybrid fiber cable like the Ruipro4k cable is recommended. They are expensive but reliable.

The ONLY way to future proof your cabling is to run your cable in a 1.5" - 2.0" conduit with a pull string if you don't have easy access to your cables. And the most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. And be mindful of bend radius. You don't want any sharp 90 degree bends. HD (1080) is fairly easy to work with as far as robustness and distance. 4k HDR can be really finicky with its requirements for cable design and installation. Distance can be a problem for 4k HDR and other options like eARC.

Video technology will always outpace connection technology so easy cable access is a requirement because you will be upgrading your cables someday. Probably sooner than you expect or want.

As far as a second cable goes, I would run a solid copper core CAT-6a (non-CCA/CCS and not pre-terminated CAT-6) cabling. You could terminate with punch down keystone jacks to extend an ethernet connection or terminate with HDBT to extend an HDMI connection. Running a second HDMI cable as a "backup" is really not necessary given that you will be needing to upgrade to a newer cable if you intend to jump into 8k HDMI 2.1 and beyond someday.
Ratman likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page