1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 8 Old 05-14-2020, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 0
active hdmi vs. extender

I have yet to really find anywhere that compares which is better for a long run (~50') of hdmi cable from a receiver to a projector, using an active hdmi cable vs. using an HDMI Ethernet extender. They both seem like they are good, and there doesn't seem like there are many disadvantages to either. Is one better than the other, or is one more fail-safe/more reliable than the other? Running one HDMI cable seems simpler vs. using extenders

I plan to run the cable in raceways attached to the wall.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-14-2020, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2106 Post(s)
Liked: 2205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdbur View Post
I have yet to really find anywhere that compares which is better for a long run (~50') of hdmi cable from a receiver to a projector, using an active hdmi cable vs. using an HDMI Ethernet extender. They both seem like they are good, and there doesn't seem like there are many disadvantages to either. Is one better than the other, or is one more fail-safe/more reliable than the other? Running one HDMI cable seems simpler vs. using extenders

I plan to run the cable in raceways attached to the wall.

Thanks
Less traffic in your run the better. Buy a fiber optic HDMI cable and be done with it. Ruipro has a good rep on the forum.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tristan Jones
post #3 of 8 Old 05-14-2020, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
+1. Anytime you introduce a "break" in the HDMI chain (extender, wall plate, adapter, etc) you introduce the possibility of errors in the transmission of data. The most reliable connection for 4k HDR is a single cable, source to sink. However, 50' can be tough for any cable but the Ruirpo4k hybrid fiber cables are probably your best bet. That being said, there are some projectors that have difficulty with active cables at that length. Probably due to inconsistent current output at the sink end. You may need to use a voltage inserter to provide the consistent 5v/50mA (at least) that the cable requires.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If you plan to run the cable in the wall, extender would be better.
He has a long enough distance to change places, maybe one year later.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCOO ProAV View Post
If you plan to run the cable in the wall, extender would be better.
He has a long enough distance to change places, maybe one year later.

Not for 4k HDR at 50'. Single cable, source to sink, with no extenders, adapters, wall plates, etc. Hybrid fiber is the best choice. For HD (1080) an active extender may work ok. I can understand why you would mention an extender because that's what you sell.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 05-20-2020 at 08:02 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-21-2020, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Both techs have advantages and disadvantages - ideally I would run the Conduit with at least one run of solid core, non-CCA/CCS, CAT6 plus a Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable (RuiPro4K being our preference), having surface mount conduit which allows you to 'open' up the conduit and lay in a new cable is ideal.

Any extender tech you install today will include some form of 'visually lossless' compression for 4K UHD signals.

Any 'active' HDMI cable you install today will ultimately become 'obsolete' if the active chip set does not support some future HDMI feature you wish to support - that may be a way down the line for you but it will eventually happen, we have customers with Active Copper HDMI cables which are 10+ years old and the customers are more than happy with how they perform at 1080p.

Joe
Otto Pylot likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2020, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Celerity uses a dongle for power, Monoprice is active with no dongle, where does the power come from ???
post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post
Celerity uses a dongle for power, Monoprice is active with no dongle, where does the power come from ???

The power for an active cable is drawn from the HDMI port (5v/50mA) utilizing proprietary chipsets in the connector ends. For 1080p and long runs, that's not a problem. For 4k HDR and long runs, the power (current) output may have fluctuations that play havoc with the requirements of the active cable for long run 4k HDR. A power inserter may be needed. A power inserter is usually a USB powered adapter that feeds a consistent 5v/500mA and is located between the HDMI cable and the HDMI port. Celerity cables are a good idea for existing cables within walls but appears to have more issues than active cables and is not a good long term solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDMI Q&A - The One Connector World

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page