Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1091 Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

So, looks like the problem surfaces with pop-up menus that slide up with the movie remaining full-screen (rather than just a corner). Pause before the pop-up, no navigation possible (red circle, line through it). Keep movie playing, no problem.

I recently rented "The Water Horse" BD. This disc has a pop-up menu that leaves the movie full-screen and overlays the menu along the bottom (similar to many HD DVDs). I was able to bring up the menu and navigate while the movie was paused without any problems. So while the menu navigation problem does seem to be a disc specific issue, it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the movie being full-screen as opposed to being moved to a small window.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1091 Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I've asked for a replacement unit, so we'll see what happens.

The replacement seems to play the discs fine, but now no bitstreaming (April firmware) with BD or HD DVD (Well, I never had HD DVD bitstreaming with the last unit, just BD)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #273 of 1091 Old 04-23-2008, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently updated FW via LAN and tested the two disks i have reported.

The Pianist HD DVD Studio Canal i can confirm is OK
Reservoir Dogs Dutch HD-DVD worked OK without choppy sound or sync issues, but still had audio droppout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 1091 Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks "LG BH200 Owner".

I was keen to hear about Reservoir Dogs. I've updated the first post. I'm discounting drop out issues as that's a general problem with the player.
post #275 of 1091 Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Swiss Member AlfaGT has confirmed a problem with two German BDs has been fixed with the April firmware:
Quote:
The last 2 movies (30 days of night and Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon) I unfortunately had to buy on Blu-ray last week And the Blu's didn't run with the march-firmware. The discs started, the Concorede logo appeared and then the screen went black and nothing happend (I had the same problem way back with the Top-Gun HD-DVD and the january-firmware).

post #276 of 1091 Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

DCGear (Canadian "Meet the Robinsons") and 5harkology (Five discs!) can you please test your problem discs with with the April firmware

Did you get my PMs?
post #277 of 1091 Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Which firmware? SPDIF or HDMI? Was it PiP audio or one of the commentary tracks?

With the original firmware and SPDIF, the only way we could avoid the PiP audio at all was to switch away from DTS Re-encode and go with Primary Pass-thru (and then select the DD5.1 track). Still, for a supposed Profile 1.0 player, I considered it a decent enough test result as it indicated to me that Profile 1.1 support would be coming.

Sunshine was a rental so I haven't re-tested, and I'm curious. Sounds like things have improved, but still not exactly perfect.

In addition to PiP, Sunshine had another Profile 1.1 special feature. "Journey Into Sound: Surround Sound Enhancement" under Special Features where you could control which speaker the ship's voice came from. That one didn't work with the original firmware over SPDIF. No computer voice out of any speaker. Has anyone tried that with the newer firmware? Might work better considering the audio enhancements...

Whether it works or not, it doesn't affect movie playback. Still, would be nice to see things like that fixed via firmware updates.

I don't know if it was a commentary track or the PiP audio, I have not (and didn't really plan on) listened to them. I am all-HDMI on LPCM Passthru. I am running the 03-24 beta firmware, need to try the April one.

--Daniel
post #278 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 AM

I just upgraded my BH200 with the latest April firmware upgrade. I just played all the demo material on my Digital Video Essentials HD DVD.
When I first bought the player, it wouldn't play the material properly. It would stutter and freeze up. When I tried the March upgrade, the audio turned to a loud hiss. (I'm just using my tv speakers).
With this latest upgrade, the sound is back to normal and it played all of the demo material without stuttering or freezing up. I did hear the odd audio dropout however. I'd say maybe a half dozen in total.
I'm going to try a couple of my HD DVDs that had a repeatable audio dropout in the past, to see if these dropouts are still there. Appleseed Ex Machina had one, along with The Invasion.
Also, I'll try watching a blu-ray movie and HD DVD movie today to see if random audio dropouts start. I've never really had an issue with random dropouts. The only real audio issue, was One Repeatable dropout on a few titles, such as the ones mentioned above.
post #279 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Just a testimonial that the LG BH200 is fast becoming my favorite HD DVD player.... I tried to watch a used copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory HD DVD, on my Toshiba HD A2. The disc was mint with no fingerprints or scratches. It started to stutter and freeze up around the 50 minute mark.
Next I tried my Venturer player, which is an HD A3 clone. A couple of minutes past this mark, it too acted up.
I just got finished watching the HD dvd on my BH200. Played perfectly with zero glitches of any sort.
I'm very impressed with the HD drive in the LG versus the Toshiba units. This all could just be a fluke, but for some reason, I don't think so...
post #280 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

To be fair, isn't the Toshiba A3 an old model?
post #281 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

To be fair, isn't the Toshiba A3 an old model?

Here in Canada the Toshiba HD A3 was the last entry-level HD DVD player before the plug was pulled. The Venturer unit I have came out for the Christmas season and was a Walmart exclusive.
So, I'd say these are pretty recent Toshiba, or Toshiba-based players.
post #282 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

Here in Canada the Toshiba HD A3 was the last entry-level HD DVD player before the plug was pulled. The Venturer unit I have came out for the Christmas season and was a Walmart exclusive.
So, I'd say these are pretty recent Toshiba, or Toshiba-based players.

It's not just Canada either, it was the last entry-level player in the US too. It was "3rd-gen" as they called it.
post #283 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting.

I believe the last European (or at least UK) models were the EP30 and EP35. I've no idea if the HD A3 is different. The EP35 adds DTS-HD MA Bitstreaming and Analogue outputs on top of the EP30. The EP30 is now being sold for peanuts (if you can find one) but the EP35 is still expensive.
post #284 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Interesting.

I believe the last European (or at least UK) models were the EP30 and EP35. I've no idea if the HD A3 is different. The EP35 adds DTS-HD MA Bitstreaming and Analogue outputs on top of the EP30. The EP30 is now being sold for peanuts (if you can find one) but the EP35 is still expensive.

The North American counterparts to those models are the A30 and A35 which were the higher end generation 3 models.
post #285 of 1091 Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I don't know much about the UK models to be able to compare them. I've never had any interest in a Single Format Player.
post #286 of 1091 Old 04-26-2008, 07:31 AM

Finally updated my FW.

Still having the same problem with Babysitters HD DVD. I'll try and test the others that I reported problems with.
post #287 of 1091 Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Just a testimonial that the LG BH200 is fast becoming my favorite HD DVD player.... I tried to watch a used copy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory HD DVD, on my Toshiba HD A2. The disc was mint with no fingerprints or scratches. It started to stutter and freeze up around the 50 minute mark.
Next I tried my Venturer player, which is an HD A3 clone. A couple of minutes past this mark, it too acted up.
I just got finished watching the HD dvd on my BH200. Played perfectly with zero glitches of any sort.
I'm very impressed with the HD drive in the LG versus the Toshiba units. This all could just be a fluke, but for some reason, I don't think so...

The Venturer and the A3 are the exact same player as you stated. It's well known that the 3rd generation drives are very finicky when it comes to scratches and smudges. The 1st and 2nd generation units are much more forgiving.

I finally got a winning bid in that should stick (2nd time this week--seller claimed his car got broken into so that much cheaper $350 success got canceled ) on Fleabay. I will dive into my varied 100 disc HD DVD library and let you guys know.
post #288 of 1091 Old 04-26-2008, 10:29 AM

What drives me crazy is the unpredictability of the Toshiba players. For example, my used copy of The Wild Bunch won't even play in my A2. I keep getting an error code. The Venturer plays it fine. No logic here. Hit and miss. It pays to have 2 or more HD DVD players hooked up just to make sure you can actually watch an HD DVD. With my BH200, I have 3 players on the go so I should be covered
post #289 of 1091 Old 04-26-2008, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post

Finally updated my FW.

Still having the same problem with Babysitters HD DVD. I'll try and test the others that I reported problems with.

Thanks 5harkology.

That would be great if you could test them. I've been particularly waiting to hear from you. I'll add Babysitters to the April list.
post #290 of 1091 Old 04-26-2008, 02:15 PM

I just checked my HD DVD copy of Appleseed Ex Machina. The repeatable audio dropout, which is exactly at the 42:03 mark, is still there with the latest firmware upgrade.
I'm curious... does anyone else have this HD DVD and can check to see if they also have a repeatable dropout at the 42 minute, 3 second mark?
post #291 of 1091 Old 04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Watched my HD DVD copy of Reservoir Dogs the other night and did not notice any audio dropouts.
post #292 of 1091 Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Same red circle with a line through it (mentioned by stpat above) is what happens when you try to navigate around a pop-menu on a BD after pausing it. In the ones I've tried thus far anyway.

Quote:

One question though. From what I remember of No Country for Old Men, the pop-up menu was basically the menu full-screen with the movie playing in a small corner (rented it, so I can't check again at the moment). Just checked Ratatouille, and it's the same...and it works OK (oops, should have checked that earlier).

OK, I just got a few more Blu-rays from Amazon yesterday and did a little more testing in regards to the menu working while the movie is paused. I got Run Lola Run, Big Fish, and The Fifth Element (Remastered). Unlike No Country ..., all three of these keep the movie at full screen when you use the pop-up menu vs. moving it into a small window in the corner. On both Big Fish and Run Lola Run you could pause the movie and use the pop-up menu just fine; there were no issues. But, with The Fifth Element, when I tried to access the pop-up menu it would appear at the bottom of the screen, but that was it. You couldn't use it and when you tried the red circle with a line through it appeared.

So, and I'm just guessing here, but it would seem to me it's more about how a disk is authored and less about the functionality of the BH200.

Quote:

Is this the only DVE Disc to cause problems or are there others? Does the BD work fine? I don't know much about the discs to be honest.

Just wanted to follow up on the DVE disk; has anyone tested the Blu-ray version? I've read through the posts and can't find that anyone has. If someone out there has it, please try it and post your results!

-C.
post #293 of 1091 Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

I just checked my HD DVD copy of Appleseed Ex Machina. The repeatable audio dropout, which is exactly at the 42:03 mark, is still there with the latest firmware upgrade.
I'm curious... does anyone else have this HD DVD and can check to see if they also have a repeatable dropout at the 42 minute, 3 second mark?

No dropouts on my Toshiba XE1 with Appleseed.
post #294 of 1091 Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

No dropouts on my Toshiba XE1 with Appleseed.

Yeah, I tried Appleseed on my HD A2 and it was fine also. It seems to be an issue only on my BH200.
post #295 of 1091 Old 04-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Just a quick note ... I watched Transformers on HD DVD this afternoon from beginning to end with absolutely no audio or video dropouts. It's the first time I've done so since upgrading to the April firmware. This again confirms my warm and fuzzy feelings about the BH200 and the fact that LG will continue to release firmware updates to correct ongoing issues.

Here's hoping my "warm and fuzzies" are correct ... a good weekend to all!

-C.
post #296 of 1091 Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

OK, I just got a few more Blu-rays from Amazon yesterday and did a little more testing in regards to the menu working while the movie is paused. I got Run Lola Run, Big Fish, and The Fifth Element (Remastered). Unlike No Country ..., all three of these keep the movie at full screen when you use the pop-up menu vs. moving it into a small window in the corner. On both Big Fish and Run Lola Run you could pause the movie and use the pop-up menu just fine; there were no issues. But, with The Fifth Element, when I tried to access the pop-up menu it would appear at the bottom of the screen, but that was it. You couldn't use it and when you tried the red circle with a line through it appeared.

So, and I'm just guessing here, but it would seem to me it's more about how a disk is authored and less about the functionality of the BH200.

Thanks for the update. Interesting to see that results vary so much.

Things are pointing toward a combination authoring technique and the BH200's handling of that technique. In other words, there's a particular menu structure that trips up the BH200. Menus without that structure are fine, while those with the special combination of factors cause the BH200 to mistakenly ban navigation of the pop-up menu while paused.

Do we know whether or players have a problem navigating the pop-up menu when paused? Even if it is a common issue with players, an "authoring problem" often falls back to the CE companies to fix in firmware.
post #297 of 1091 Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

One more confirmation on Clerks 2.

Lucky Number Slevin and Derailed work fine. So, it's not all Weinstein titles. I should be able to test Babysitters in a few days.
post #298 of 1091 Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.

It would be good to confirm some of the "one user problem discs" were tested with more users.

You're running the April firmware and 0702 driver right?
post #299 of 1091 Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You're running the April firmware and 0702 driver right?

Yep.

One MAJOR new one to report--"Picture This" from Mack Dawg Productions. It's a combo HD DVD. The menus don't work. Get this. If you just let it play the movie fine. However, if you try to fast forward, it will freeze. You can't eject the disc. Power on does work. It's not the disc. I had an issue with this disc freezing w/ my HD-A20 w/ firmware version 2.7. (2.8 fixed the issue. Otherwise, the workaround was to reinitialize the player thus clearing any corrupted persistent memory.)

Opus Arte's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" appears to work fine.

Rhino's "Tribute to James Taylor" has a weird problem. During the credits, if you try to fast forward, the disc freezes. In fairness to LG, if you hit menu while the credits are playing on a Tosh player, you get the dreaded error 408bc00d.

=======Some more (adult stuff) post-edit======

Add Vivid's Debbie Does Dallas Again on HD DVD. (Haven't tried the Blu.) The menus are screwy. You can change the audio options and select the special features, but not the chapters, etc. The 3rd gen Toshibas had problems with this disc until firmware update 1.3.

Majorly broken is Hustler's The Davinci Load 1&2 (720p) disc. The drive just wheezes and wheezes sounding like it's out of breath. It finally loads the main menu, but that's it. You can't select which movie, etc.

Other adult like 3rd Degree's Big Boob Orgy and Zero Tolerance's Interactive Sex with Bree Olson (lot of menus in that one) work just fine. Also confirmed to be glitch free are Adam and Eve's Eden (720p) and Sin City's Sodom 4. Sodom 4 has the same bad jaggies as exhibited on my Toshiba player.

=======================

Quote:

I presume you can still navigate to the extras, play the movie and choose the audio/subs?

Nope, you can let it play, but title pop-up causes it to freeze.

Quote:

It sounds like it is the disc but Toshiba fixed it with a firmware update. Both sides could be to blame.

No, Toshiba firmware version 2.7 caused 2nd gen players to get corrupt persistent memory and have issues with combos.

Quote:

I presume you mean opening credits? If you leave it alone it's okay right?

Closing credits... it's fine otherwise. This is an issue with Toshiba players, too.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1018150

Quote:

Thanks. I'll add them to the list once I know more.

You're very welcome. Thank you for maintaining this list!
post #300 of 1091 Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Yep.

Thanks. I thought you were and added your post as a source link to Clerks 2.

Quote:

One MAJOR new one to report--"Picture This" from Mack Dawg Productions. It's a combo HD DVD. The menus don't work.

I presume you can still navigate to the extras, play the movie and choose the audio/subs?

Quote:

Rhino's "Tribute to James Taylor" has a weird problem. During the credits, if you try to fast forward, the disc freezes.

I presume you mean opening credits? If you leave it alone, it's okay right?

Quote:

Add Vivid's Debbie Does Dallas Again on HD DVD. (Haven't tried the Blu.) The menus are screwy. You can change the audio options and select the special features, but not the chapters, etc.

I presume the main feature plays and you can skip chapters that way?

Quote:

Majorly broken is Hustler's The Davinci Load 1&2 (720p) disc. The drive just wheezes and wheezes sounding like it's out of breath. It finally loads the main menu, but that's it. You can't select which movie, etc.

When it eventually loads (how long do you have to wait?), can you then select PLAY and skip movies using the remote?

Quote:

Other adult like 3rd Degree's Big Boob Orgy and Zero Tolerance's Interactive Sex with Bree Olson (lot of menus in that one) work just fine.

I came across Big Boob Orgy the other day, top title .

Regarding: Interactive Sex with Bree Olson, the complaint was "Multiple viewing angles flash/flicker". Does that happen with you?

Thanks. I'll add them to the list once I know more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page