Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 1091 Old 05-08-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Planet Earth - UK - Take 2 / BBC - All discs show the menu background but no menu options and so whole set is completely un-usable!

That causes problems in the Sammy Combo too.

I presume it's the HD-DVD version? I'll presume so and add it to the list. Thanks.

For the discs which the menus don't work on, is it possible to use the BH200's "Title/Chapter" menu and access the features directly? I think the BH200 has this, it's on many DVD Players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1091 Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Krobar,

Can you post what firmware and driver are you running?

Quote:

Yep Clerks 2 works absolutely fine. I started the movie all looked good and changed chapter and messed around with it and it still worked well.

post #333 of 1091 Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Regarding the UK HD DVD of Fearless on a Canadian BH200 with April Firmware and 702 driver:

Regardless of the initial language selection screen choice, I can change the spoken language during the movie between French and Mandarin, as it should be according to the specs.

If I hit enter on the (blank) initial language selection screen, then I can change the subtitles only to French or off during the movie.

If I go right once then hit enter on the (blank) initial language selection screen, then I can change the subtitles only to English or off during the movie.

In addition, although the main menu comes up if you manage to blindly pick the language/subtitle combination you want, only the Play selection does anything. Scenes, Languages, and Bonus do nothing.

Quality is good though. I recall reading somewhere that the menu on this particular disc is a bit unorthodox, so maybe it's not too surprising that it has trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1091 Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Krobar,

Can you post what firmware and driver are you running?

Firmware BH02080402F
Loader 0702
post #335 of 1091 Old 05-09-2008, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

That causes problems in the Sammy Combo too.

I presume it's the HD-DVD version? I'll presume so and add it to the list. Thanks.

For the discs which the menus don't work on, is it possible to use the BH200's "Title/Chapter" menu and access the features directly? I think the BH200 has this, it's on many DVD Players.

Thanks Bradavon. It is the UK HD DVD. I will try Title/Chapter Menu button tonight.
post #336 of 1091 Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landris View Post

Regarding the UK HD DVD of Fearless on a Canadian BH200 with April Firmware and 702 driver:

Regardless of the initial language selection screen choice, I can change the spoken language during the movie between French and Mandarin, as it should be according to the specs.

If I hit enter on the (blank) initial language selection screen, then I can change the subtitles only to French or off during the movie.

If I go right once then hit enter on the (blank) initial language selection screen, then I can change the subtitles only to English or off during the movie.

In addition, although the main menu comes up if you manage to blindly pick the language/subtitle combination you want, only the Play selection does anything. Scenes, Languages, and Bonus do nothing.

Quality is good though. I recall reading somewhere that the menu on this particular disc is a bit unorthodox, so maybe it's not too surprising that it has trouble.

Interesting. I have not tested any Universal UK releases, will test some tonight.
post #337 of 1091 Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just tried the Universal European releases (All with language selecton on startup) of Tokyo Drift, Doom and the Mr Bean movie. All worked perfectly so it seems the language problem may well be limited to European Fearless only.
post #338 of 1091 Old 05-09-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That is weird behaviour.

Quote:

Scenes, Languages, and Bonus do nothing.

I didn't realise Extras also don't work. That's a shame. I'll add it to the list.

Quote:

I will try Title/Chapter Menu button tonight.

Thanks. It would be handy to hear if discs that have a menu that doesn't work can be used using that option.

It may work with Fearless too to access the single featurette.
post #339 of 1091 Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Yep Clerks 2 works absolutely fine. I started the movie all looked good and changed chapter and messed around with it and it still worked well.

Say wha?

I couldn't select any menus, etc. What firmware, etc. are you running?

BTW, Golden Compass on Blu plays fine except for random video/audio drop outs when fast forwarding, rewinding and pausing.
post #340 of 1091 Old 05-10-2008, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Say wha?

I couldn't select any menus, etc. What firmware, etc. are you running?

BTW, Golden Compass on Blu plays fine except for random video/audio drop outs when fast forwarding, rewinding and pausing.

Firmware BH02080402F
Loader 0702

My machine is a Feb08 build. Good to hear Golden Compass is pretty much fine.
post #341 of 1091 Old 05-10-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #342 of 1091 Old 05-11-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some more problems discs:

Robin Hood Season 1 - HDDVD - UK - BBC / 2 Entertain:
Can watch content but menus hardly work at all. No sub menus appear when selected. Initial menu item looks corrupted but at least you can start the dics playing.

Hotel Babylon Series 1 - HDDVD - UK - BBC / 2 Entertain:
Menu appears but selecting anything but the initial main menu option does not work properly. No content acessible, disc unusable.

It seems the BH200 has trouble with quite a few BBC/2Entertain Discs but not all. The only 2 discs from BBC / 2 Entertain that work are Galapagos and Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky. The two that work have very similar menus that are simpler than the ones that dont work.

I'm going to try going back to the Janurary firmware.
post #343 of 1091 Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm going to try going back to the Janurary firmware.

Good idea. Any luck with the Title/Chapter feature, with discs that won't play the menu properly?

I'm not surprised the BH200 spat Hotel Babylon though, it was probably embarrassed to be fed such a TV Series

p.s - Can the Robin Hood extras be played?
post #344 of 1091 Old 05-11-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Title/Chaper trick does not work for any of them.

Good new though, the following all work perfectly with the older Janurary firmware!:
Hotel Babylon Series 1 - HDDVD - UK - BBC / 2 Entertain
Robin Hood Season 1 - HDDVD - UK - BBC / 2 Entertain
Pan's Labyrinth - HDDVD - UK - Optimum
Planet Earth - HDDVD - UK - BBC / 2 Entertain

The following still have the same problems as the April Firmware:
UFO - Showtime - HDDVD - International - SPV
DVE - High Definition - HDDVD - International - JKP
DVE - HD Basics - HDDVD - International - JKP

For those having trouble with European discs I would try going back to the Janurary firmware; it seems the warning on the support site contains some truth.
post #345 of 1091 Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That is indeed very interesting. I wonder how the two firmware upgrades differ in this respect. Good work Krobar. I'll update the first post.

Can those with Problem Discs running April firmware try the January firmware please.
post #346 of 1091 Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM

I wonder if there are two versions of this disc (in terms of authoring)...

Quote:

Clerks 2 also works for JM9843:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=109

post #347 of 1091 Old 05-11-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess it would help to find out where Krobar/JM9843 bought their copy from. Then if someone is feeling lucky they could try the same.

Has anyone tried Clerks 2 with the January firmware? It only seems to have been tested with the March and April firmware.
post #348 of 1091 Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I guess it would help to find out where Krobar/JM9843 bought their copy from. Then if someone is feeling lucky they could try the same.

Has anyone tried Clerks 2 with the January firmware? It only seems to have been tested with the March and April firmware.

I got mine on release week from DVD Pacific. Works fine with both the April and Jan firmwares.
post #349 of 1091 Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
bradavon, an HD-DVD of 1492: Conquest of Paradise? now that would look nice in Hi-Def. When was this released and where do you buy it online. any help, please, thanks.
post #350 of 1091 Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm sure I read it on another forum I frequent (it was put out by the Dutch company who released the Reservoir Dogs HD-DVD) on BD and HD-DVD but I cannot find the post now. I cannot find reviews or where it's available. I could've been wrong but have sent a PM to the person who said it. I'll reply again when they reply, which shouldn't be long.

EDIT: It turns out he was talking about 1408: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450385/. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
post #351 of 1091 Old 05-13-2008, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I'm sure I read it on another forum I frequent (it was put out by the Dutch company who released the Reservoir Dogs HD-DVD) on BD and HD-DVD but I cannot find the post now. I cannot find reviews or where it's available. I could've been wrong but have sent a PM to the person who said it. I'll reply again when they reply, which shouldn't be long.

EDIT: It turns out he was talking about 1408: Sorry for getting your hopes up.

thanks bradavon! hope to own this one in HD sometime.
post #352 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 AM

Just got the BH 200 two weeks ago and finally went through my collection. The seven Blu-Rays I own play perfectly. I have five HD-DVDs that are giving me some issues (and all of them play fine on my Xbox 360 add-on).

SUPERMAN RETURNS - some freezing during the movie (jumped from scene to scene and it locked up twice in two different areas). When trying to access special features, it occasionally gives me the Disc Error symbol and ejects the disc. The disc is clean.

V FOR VENDETTA - Same issue with special features. I can play one or two, but when I try more than that I get the Disc Error symbol

FACE/OFF and ZODIAC. Both Paramount titles play fine during the movie, but the special features all play jittery-- they play (and the sound is okay), but it staggers, almost like the player is dropping frames. This is on all of the featurettes/documentaries, all of which on both titles are in 1080p.

THE PRESTIGE (Warners UK) - Movie plays fine as do the special features, but I can't access the still galleries.

Also, surprised that all of the SD featurettes on all of the HD-DVDs are stretched. I knew that SD content on regular DVDs was stretched, but it's a real drag that the machine isn't able to pillarbox 4x3 content on HD-DVDs. The 360 add-on does. Short five minute segments aren't bad, but good luck watching a lengthy documentary when it's so distorted. The 4x3 content on Blu-Ray discs is formatted properly. Maybe the machine isn't picking up a flag encoded on the HD-DVD discs? If this was dealt with for all SD content — including regular DVDS — I'd even consider selling my Oppo player.

Happy so far, but am glad that I have my 360 add-on as a backup player in a pinch. May sell SUPERMAN RETURNS and get the Blu-Ray if I keep getting freeze-ups.

Anyone else having issues with these discs?
post #353 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Is your copy of V for Vendetta the US Warner copy? That is an oooooooold disc. I have it at home. I will try it tonight.
post #354 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Bigshemp.

Does anyone else have issues with Superman Returns, V for Vendetta, Face/Off or Zodiac?

Superman Returns, V for Vendetta, Face/Off (Internationally and USA soon), The Prestige and Zodiac (International) all have BD releases too.

4:3 being stretched wouldn't bother me on a DVD as I can use my DVD Recorder but it would annoy me on extras. I didn't know it was fine on BD though.
post #355 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I just purchased the BH200, loaded the latest firmware and driver onto it, and started trying a few discs. It works great (and I love the bitstreaming to my Onkyo 605) save for Clerks 2. I wonder if it could have something to do with people bitsreaming versus PCM audio?
post #356 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think so, as those who cannot use Clerks 2 it won't load period. Thanks btw. Clerks 2 would seem to be at the top of the list of discs to fix in the next firmware.
post #357 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Also, just to let you know-- am running video through HDMI to my Samsung HLS5087 (through an HDMI hub) and audio via optical to my Onkyo 507. Might upgrade to a 605 at some point, but I'm assuming that has nothing to do with my video issues. All of the discs -- save for The Prestige -- were bought new.

Quote:

Thanks Bigshemp.

Does anyone else have issues with Superman Returns, V for Vendetta, Face/Off or Zodiac?

Superman Returns, V for Vendetta, Face/Off (Internationally and USA soon), The Prestige and Zodiac (International) all have BD releases too.

4:3 being stretched wouldn't bother me on a DVD as I can use my DVD Recorder but it would annoy me on extras. I didn't know it was fine on BD though.

post #358 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 12:45 PM

It is. It plays fine on my 360 add-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Is your copy of V for Vendetta the US Warner copy? That is an oooooooold disc. I have it at home. I will try it tonight.

post #359 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshemp View Post

It is. It plays fine on my 360 add-on.

Have you tried the Janurary firmware?
post #360 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM

January? You mean the April firmware? I did update to that when I got the machine.

Quote:

Have you tried the Janurary firmware?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page