Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No January. Some discs that don't work in the April firmware do with the January firmware:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post13843417

It's also on the LG Service Sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here in Canada, Future Shop has the BH200 on sale for $399.99 this week. I picked up another unit and tried it out. Same repeatable audio dropouts on the same titles that I played on my original, bedroom unit.
I tried playing Alien VS Predator Requiem. After 4 audio dropouts during the first 10 minutes, I decided to return the player and keep using my PS3 as my main blu-ray player.
The player had a build date of Feb/2008. I didn't upgrade the firmware as the audio dropouts were still present on my original unit that does have the April upgrade.
For me, the BH200 is fine as a bedroom unit but for my main living room setup, I need a player that has reliable audio. My set up is optical output to a Yamaha reciever.
Never any audio issues using my Toshiba HD DVD player or my PS3.
I still like my original BH200, but only for my bedroom tv. Glitch-free audio doesn't really matter just using the tv's speakers.
post #363 of 1091 Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Interesting. I just rented AVPR from Netflix and it looked and sounded great. No drop-outs, no nothin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerfan View Post

Here in Canada, Future Shop has the BH200 on sale for $399.99 this week. I picked up another unit and tried it out. Same repeatable audio dropouts on the same titles that I played on my original, bedroom unit.
I tried playing Alien VS Predator Requiem. After 4 audio dropouts during the first 10 minutes, I decided to return the player and keep using my PS3 as my main blu-ray player.
The player had a build date of Feb/2008. I didn't upgrade the firmware as the audio dropouts were still present on my original unit that does have the April upgrade.
For me, the BH200 is fine as a bedroom unit but for my main living room setup, I need a player that has reliable audio. My set up is optical output to a Yamaha reciever.
Never any audio issues using my Toshiba HD DVD player or my PS3.
I still like my original BH200, but only for my bedroom tv. Glitch-free audio doesn't really matter just using the tv's speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 1091 Old 05-17-2008, 01:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 71
AVPR USA worked great for me too.
post #365 of 1091 Old 05-17-2008, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

AVPR USA worked great for me too.

I wonder if the issue I had is just imcompatibility between my receiver and the player? I have an older Yamaha reciever(about 4 years old now). I believe I set the player to pass-through so I could get the AC-3 sound.
Perhaps it's the more advanced audio codecs that are problem free? I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.
The dropouts that I encountered during AVPR seemed repeatable.
post #366 of 1091 Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The issues look to be video not audio related, no?

I had a feeling the "discs themselves" were fine. I'm not sure I should put them on the list. Thanks btw.
post #367 of 1091 Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

The BH200 does not like the BD-J game on the Narnia Bonus Disc. Tries to load for a minute or so then the player just turns itself off. Have not seen any feedback re: other BD player on this yet.

Edit: Yes, running latest f/w.
post #368 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

This player seems not to like French HD DVDs.

My Toshiba A35 could not get past the menu on my first HD DVD copy of La Môme (La Vie en Rose in the US). I found out later that the discs were being recalled as some had mastering defects. I sent mine back and got a replacement. Choppy menu, but at least the film played smoothly on the A35. The BH200 gives me smooth film playback and menu... backgrounds!! No buttons, no text!!

So I am getting the Blu Ray version. The HD is jinxed!

BTW, the Toshiba skipped a whole chapter and a half on my HD copy (from Spain) of Der Untergang (The Downfall). The LG plays the whole movie from depressing beginning to despairing end in all its suicidal splendor!

So it is smooth sailing here, so far!
post #369 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

My Toshiba A35 could not get past the menu on my first HD DVD copy of La Môme (La Vie en Rose in the US). I found out later that the discs were being recalled as some had mastering defects. I sent mine back and got a replacement. Choppy menu, but at least the film played smoothly on the A35. The BH200 gives me smooth film playback and menu... backgrounds!! No buttons, no text!!

So I am getting the Blu Ray version. The HD is jinxed!

BTW, the Toshiba skipped a whole chapter and a half on my HD copy (from Spain) of Der Untergang (The Downfall). The LG plays the whole movie from depressing beginning to despairing end in all its suicidal splendor!

So it is smooth sailing here, so far!

Sounds kike La Mome will work properly with the Janurary firmware, give it a try.
post #370 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

ls1115: What firmware/driver are you running? Can you try the January firmware. Once I know what firmware you're currently running I'll update the first post.

Can you please report back how the BD fairs.
post #371 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

ls1115: What firmware/driver are you running? Can you try the January firmware. Once I know what firmware you're currently running I'll update the first post.

Can you please report back how the BD fairs.

I am on the April firmware now (from the LG website). I tried playing this disc (La Môme) when I first bought the player, which came with the January firmware. Results as posted (no menu buttons). I later updated to the March firmware (had been removed from the LG site, but found it as instructed here). Driver updated then to 702. No menu buttons yet. I have not played this disc since getting the April firmware but will check again and report.

Your help is very much appreciated! Thanks!!
post #372 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks LS1115.

It sounds like you can watch the movie with English subs, correct? Can you listen to the commentary using the remote control's audio button? Disc 2 looks like an SD DVD. That works, right?
post #373 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 217
La Vie En Rose is problematic on all fronts. I very much want that movie. However, it's $40+ US. I would cry if I got one of those dead copies.
post #374 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

French (and German) discs have always been expensive. They're ridiculously expensive by USA, Canadian and UK standards.

They do release some excellent discs but even so. I also find it odd unlike North America/UK prices French discs rarely drop in time.
post #375 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

French (and German) discs have always been expensive. They're ridiculously expensive by USA, Canadian and UK standards.

They do release some excellent discs but even so. I also find it odd unlike North America/UK prices French discs rarely drop in time.

Count Japanese imports in the high price category. The limited edition box set of Batman Begins (Including a figurine not included in the US set) costs a cool $110 US on Amazon.jp.
post #376 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope someone at LG who deals with European discs is reading this forum. I tried to report the problems with the BBC disks and the April firmware to LG UK and got the idiotic response below:

*Response*

Dear Sir,

We advice not to download firmware which is not from LG and advice you as well to use the recommended discs. Otherwise you should return it to the dealer to have it repaired. with kind regards.....

*Original Message*

I recently purchased a BH200 from Belguim (Unavailable in UK) and have some HDDVD compatiblity problems. With the recommended January firmware UFO - Showtime and both Digital Video Essentials HDDVDs do not work properly (Bad problems with menus). With the April firmware Dolby True HD decoding to DTS works properly but the Pan's Labyrinth, Planet Earth, Hotel Babylon Series 1 and Robin Hood Series 1 HDDVDs also have problems. Is a firmware with the audio improvements of the April firmware and the disc compatability of the Janurary firmware in development?
post #377 of 1091 Old 05-18-2008, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Count Japanese imports in the high price category.

Oh man they're in another league. They're often a rip off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

We advice not to download firmware which is not from LG and advice you as well to use the recommended discs. Otherwise you should return it to the dealer to have it repaired. with kind regards.....

Did you e-mail LG America, UK or somewhere else?

What is the first sentence support to mean? It really annoys me when Tech Support teams brush you off by saying "All we can suggest is you send it back for repair", especially when it's not a repair issue.

It maybe an idea to reply being more specific. The only thing I can say in their defence, is maybe you were too general with your e-mail. It maybe an idea to say what the disc problems are and what discs specifically you mean.
post #378 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Shoot, imagine if you bought Band of Brothers on HD DVD from Amazon.jp... I did. I love the miniseries but I shudder every time I think about what I paid to get it.
post #379 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshemp View Post

V FOR VENDETTA - Same issue with special features. I can play one or two, but when I try more than that I get the Disc Error symbol

I couldn't get an error symbol. I played all the special features including the IME commentary.

One more problem disc. It's another (adult) Digital Playground disc--Jesse's Juice. Same thing...I can't advance past the opening menu. Even if I try to fast forward, it loops back to the opening menu without options to play, access special features, etc.

BTW, the Blu-Ray version of Babysitters plays w/o any issues. The menus suck (no pun intended) compared to the HD DVD version. However, that is the nature of thing.
post #380 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

One more problem disc. It's another (adult) Digital Playground disc--Jesse's Juice.

Thanks. I've added it. April firmware and 0702 driver right?

Quote:

BTW, the Blu-Ray version of Babysitters plays w/o any issues.

Thanks. I've mentioned that too.

Quote:

The menus suck (no pun intended) compared to the HD DVD version. However, that is the nature of thing.

I'm guessing they're less animated/graphic? That could be why the HD-DVD falls over. I'd happily accept static menus if the feature worked.
post #381 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep--April and 702 until May or June firmware comes out.

No, it's all the AVC Digital Playground discs that came out this fall. They're authored a certain way that's different from the previous sucky VC-1 discs (Pirates, Jack's Playground and Island Fever 3) that came out early last year. The menus are complicated, but nothing like certain HDi discs from Universal, Warner, 3rd Degree and Zero Tolerance.
post #382 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cheers.

I wonder when LG will bring the next firmware out. I'm guessing it will be a minor one to fix disc problems, but not much more.
post #383 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Cheers.

I wonder when LG will bring the next firmware out. I'm guessing it will be a minor one to fix disc problems, but not much more.

Honestly, they could clean up if they would update the unit to profile 2.0. They would be one of the few standalones on the market w/ profile 2.0 capability.
post #384 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Honestly, they could clean up if they would update the unit to profile 2.0. They would be one of the few standalones on the market w/ profile 2.0 capability.

I'm not sure they would. The majority of people want an efficient BD Player at a reasonable price. They don't care about Profile 2.0 or HD-DVD, certainly not at BD Player prices.

I can see why LG and Samsung are pulling out of Combos. The market must have 6-8 months left in it (until Xmas) before we start seeing more reasonable priced BD Players and then next year Profile 2.0 ones. As time goes on less and less people will care about HD-DVD.

Today I'm all for a Combo Player but this time next year I'm not sure I'd still want "to buy one".
post #385 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

+1 I'm a big fan of HDi and I'd absolutely love it if LG made this combo player profile 2.0 your right it would make it complete and they would indeed clean up on it.
post #386 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

+1 I'm a big fan of HDi and I'd absolutely love it if LG made this combo player profile 2.0 your right it would make it complete and they would indeed clean up on it.

I concur!
post #387 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So that's 3 people, not exactly cleaning up . The latest Profile 2.0 offering is:

Quote:

Among the cutting-edge BD-Live and BD-Java-enhanced extras on 'Sleeping Beauty,' viewers will be able to chat with friends right on the screen during playback (using a laptop, BlackBerry, or other PDA) through Disney's protected network. They'll also be able to insert customized video messages anywhere in the movie and send them to friends or family members via a "movie mail" feature.

Source: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Whistles/1738

Not exactly something I'd call "cutting edge". Still I cannot see enough people caring for LG to clear up.
post #388 of 1091 Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
always what I wanted to see...a family members ugly mug on my 100" screen while I'm watching a movie

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #389 of 1091 Old 05-20-2008, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can confirm that Clerks 2 HD DVD does not display the Menu on the BH200 with April firmware. The menu loads, but the options (Play, chapters, settings, etc.) are never displayed. I messed around with the remote but found no method to play the movie

Plays fine on my XA2.
post #390 of 1091 Old 05-20-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting.

I wonder if it's something to do with the network connection causing conflicts. Has anyone tried disconnecting it? For those who it works, is your Ethernet cable connected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page