Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1091 Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I'm not sure they would. The majority of people want an efficient BD Player at a reasonable price. They don't care about Profile 2.0 or HD-DVD, certainly not at BD Player prices.

I can see why LG and Samsung are pulling out of Combos. The market must have 6-8 months left in it (until Xmas) before we start seeing more reasonable priced BD Players and then next year Profile 2.0 ones. As time goes on less and less people will care about HD-DVD.

Today I'm all for a Combo Player but this time next year I'm not sure I'd still want "to buy one".

That's even more reason to update the BD side as much as possible. Profile 2.0 support would put the BH200 into consideration for anyone looking at BD players. The only reason to leave it alone is if they're happy selling it as an HD DVD player...

Obviously that means I'd like to see Profile 2.0 as well. The player is capable of it, it's mentioned in the owner's manual...why not update it?

Additional features LG could make:
- DivX support
- DTS-HD MA decoding (according to an earlier post, the chipset can do it...).

Given all that LG has done to this point, I don't know why bradavon is so certain they'll abandon the BH200. Continued improvement seems more likely to me. Certainly would be welcome from my perspective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1091 Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was answering in response to LG cleaning up not whether they should do it .

Agreed they should but I cannot see it effecting sales much, not now. Especially when LG have said they're pulling out of the Combo market. I didn't say they'll abandon the BH200, just that I wouldn't expect many (if any) major advances. I was talking generally about Combo Players, not a specific model:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post13847918

I'm still a fan of Combo Players. That has happened recently for me to change my mind on that.
post #393 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 AM

There are some Warner HD-DVDs (e.g. License to wed EU) and the video output is 1080p60 and not 1080p24. On the Toshiba players these discs have correct 1080p24 output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I guess it would help to find out where Krobar/JM9843 bought their copy from.

I purchased my copy from Amazon on release. Worked fine with the March leaked firmware and loader 701.
post #395 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:

I wonder if it's something to do with the network connection causing conflicts. Has anyone tried disconnecting it? For those who it works, is your Ethernet cable connected?

RE: Clerks 2

No ethernet cable connected with my working copy.
post #396 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 AM

Star Trek: TOS disc one will not load for me at all (disc error, tray ejects) with the March firmware, loader 701. I'm tempted to try the April firmware with the 702 loader to see if it helps at all, but I'm hesitant because no other discs have given me problems.

The disc plays fine in my A30. Does anyone else have any experience with the Star Trek set on the BH200?
post #397 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm9843 View Post

Star Trek: TOS disc one will not load for me at all (disc error, tray ejects) with the March firmware, loader 701. I'm tempted to try the April firmware with the 702 loader to see if it helps at all, but I'm hesitant because no other discs have given me problems.

The disc plays fine in my A30. Does anyone else have any experience with the Star Trek set on the BH200?

I have the April firmware and the 702 driver. I am using component and two channel analog stereo. I have no trouble loading any of the Star Trek TOS disc, it takes 15 to 20 secs for all discs, both Blu Ray and HD DVD to load. I have only watch the episodes without any problems, none of extras, so I can't comment about them.
post #398 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

It sounds like you can watch the movie with English subs, correct? Can you listen to the commentary using the remote control's audio button? Disc 2 looks like an SD DVD. That works, right?

Yes, I checked last night and the subs came in via the remote. (I don't need subs for French, but they work). They are also repositionable using one of the letter keys on the remote and size can be adjusted as well (nice features for anamorphic setups). Instructions for this are on the disc box, otherwise I would not have known. No direct access to menu from the remote while movie plays. I forgot to check for comment (I'm not even sure if there is a comment track).

Second disc is SD PAL. No problems after region/ PAL hack!
post #399 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Works fine for me too... running the April firmware with loader 702.

Quote:

post #400 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

RE: Clerks 2: No ethernet cable connected with my working copy.

Thanks. Has anyone who has problems playing it tried disconnecting their Ethernet cable?

Quote:

Thanks. Could you try the April firmware please.

You cannot roll-back the driver (once 0702 is on, it's on) but if you're at all concerned you can always roll-back to the March firmware. Could you also also try the January firmware if April makes no difference too.

When the next driver is released you'll be able to roll-back to 0702 but you cannot with prior driver files as they've not been made available to download separately.
post #401 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1115 View Post

I forgot to check for comment (I'm not even sure if there is a comment track).

Would you mind checking please, using the remote. According to this it has a commentary:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=12521

If the commentary works then the only thing about the HD-DVD not working is the menu. Personally that wouldn't bother me.

* Does the "Interactive Viewing"-mode also work? Disc 1 only has a Commentary and "Interactive Viewing"-mode as far as extras, so you may not need the menu.
* Also can you switch between the French TrueHD and French DTS-HD HR using the remote?

If all that works then the Menu can be ignored.

Thanks
post #402 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks. Has anyone who has problems playing it tried disconnecting their Ethernet cable?

My copy doesn't work and I don't have an ethernet cable hooked up.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #403 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks, that's weird then.
post #404 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 PM

I've seen some weird stuff, but if the presence of an ethernet connection altered whether it was rendering the clerks2 menu overlay graphics, then I'd be dumb-founded... (but I'll try it anyways).

I'm convinced there are 2 versions (different authorings) of Clerks2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi3 View Post

My copy doesn't work and I don't have an ethernet cable hooked up.

post #405 of 1091 Old 05-21-2008, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

I've seen some weird stuff, but if the presence of an ethernet connection altered whether it was rendering the clerks2 menu overlay graphics, then I'd be dumb-founded... (but I'll try it anyways).

Admittedly I was clutching at straws but I meant because of Network activity causing an overload/conflict etc... than the cable on it's own .

Quote:

You could be right.
post #406 of 1091 Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Layer Cake removed following this PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye3.1 View Post

Just today, on my 4th try, I was able to rent a copy of this title that was not defective. It would seem that Blockbuster was sending me the same bad disc, even though I reported it as defective. I took the third one to an AV store and tried it in their Pioneer BD player today. It showed Disc error like the BH200. I then swapped it for the in-store disc. That one plays in the BH200 with no problem.
So you can scratch Layer Cake off the list. Thanks for your efforts here.

post #407 of 1091 Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 AM
UFE

Quote:

I had a different problem with Clerks 2 so I'm not sure if my solution will help anyone here. I used to keep getting a message saying the disk cannot be played back due to the parental restriction settings in the area. I got a BH200 from Futureshop in Canada so the default Area in the Lock Menu was CA. I changed that to US and everything seems to be working fine now.
post #408 of 1091 Old 05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks to all those who have reported their problems. Are you reporting these issues to LG? There seems to be some evidence from the chat transcripts from 5K owners that their issues where heard by Samsung so letting LG know directly about our issues could hopefully bring about resolutions to our problems as well. I have reported the issues I have with dropouts and disc problems, hopefully with more reports these issues get fixed.
post #409 of 1091 Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I second that. If I have any problems I'll certainly be letting LG know. Is there an appropriate e-mail address or e-mail form link we should be using?
post #410 of 1091 Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I second that. If I have any problems I'll certainly be letting LG know. Is there an appropriate e-mail address or e-mail form link we should be using?

I just went to their support page and used the "contact me" form. I will be following up with a phone call and another email if I dont get any response.
post #411 of 1091 Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Living in The UK it would be difficult to call. I hear LG UK aren't really interested in supporting the BH200. They've barely even released it.

I'll certainly be e-mailing LG UK and America though.
post #412 of 1091 Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hopefully we can make enough noise here is the US to get LG to address our issues.
post #413 of 1091 Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Thanks. Living in The UK it would be difficult to call. I hear LG UK aren't really interested in supporting the BH200. They've barely even released it.

I'll certainly be e-mailing LG UK and America though.

I might be beginning to get somewhere now with LG UK and fixing the BBC UK HDDVD problem with the April firmware. Its reached "3rd Level Tech" who seem to have some understanding of ehat I'm talking about. Hope to know more end of next week. Seems to be much better if you call them, emailing just gets a delayed and ignorant response.
post #414 of 1091 Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

If only companies employed 3rd line support as 1st line too . It makes you wonder what 2nd line are for?
post #415 of 1091 Old 05-31-2008, 11:43 PM

I can't seem to get the BH200 to recognize Live Free or Die Hard BluRay at all. It just seeks for a couple of minutes and spits out the disk. I have all the latest updates. Anyone else having problems with this disk?
post #416 of 1091 Old 06-01-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Another one for the List:

HDDVD:
Kanye West - Late Orchestration - UK - Universal Music
Mini menu that displays whilst content playing works perfectly. Main menu all works fine except for the "Control room" option, this initially displays only the background, after pressing the arrow keys the options begin to appear, this menu is also very slow. Tested using Janurary firmware and this disc works fine on my Toshiba XE1.
post #417 of 1091 Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I experienced my first audio dropouts with SPIDERMAN 2 (Spiderman 2.1) the other day. Otherwise as a BD player it's behaved flawlessly except for one loading error which went away when I wiped the disc off.

I've had some freezing on my BATMAN BEGINS and a lock up on NEXT, both on HD DVD.

I have the most recent driver and firmware.
post #418 of 1091 Old 06-01-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Dave. That's a pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groschuni View Post

I can't seem to get the BH200 to recognize Live Free or Die Hard BluRay at all.

There were reports of several Samsung owners have problems with DH4 and The Fantastic Four 2, there were as many happy customers too though. I don't think any LG owners have mentioned it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

HDDVD:
Kanye West - Late Orchestration - UK - Universal Music
Mini menu that displays whilst content playing works perfectly. Main menu all works fine except for the "Control room" option, this initially displays only the background

What does the Control Room menu display? Extras, chapters etc . . .

Can you get to it's content through other means (Remote/Title menu)?
post #419 of 1091 Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Would you mind checking please, using the remote. If the commentary works then the only thing about the HD-DVD not working is the menu. Personally that wouldn't bother me.

* Does the "Interactive Viewing"-mode also work? Disc 1 only has a Commentary and "Interactive Viewing"-mode as far as extras, so you may not need the menu.
* Also can you switch between the French TrueHD and French DTS-HD HR using the remote?

If all that works then the Menu can be ignored.

Thanks

OK, I checked. Everything works via the remote buttons. Subtitles can be switched on and off and the English ones can be resized and moved onto the picture (out of the black bar). Commentary track is available as well as DTS-HD and Dolby True (louder). Actually, the popup menu works now if selected while the movie is running. This gives access to all of the above plus popup text vignettes introducing some of the characters and their importance in Piaf's life as well as Internet content (several pages of newspaper and magazine clippings).

Main menu still mysteriously blank, but the background images and music make for a nice introduction to the film while getting the popcorn ready.

So, for now, I'm keeping the HD version. Since this is one of my favorite films in recent years, I'll still double-dip for the BD (as backup for when and if this player breaks down) when used prices in Amazon.fr get friendlier.

Cheers
post #420 of 1091 Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks a lot LS1115 for the update.

I've updated the first post. It seems the HD-DVD (with the working batch) effectively works fine. The menu doesn't seem to be too important if you can still access everything. If you do buy the Blu-ray disc, please post to say how well that works. I suspect it will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page