Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 1091 Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Gentlemen, I love you and my BH200. However, might we keep this to the problem discs and not have the audio stuff spillover here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 1091 Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You are of course correct. The reason it came up was that some discs had HDMI audio issues, yet those discs would play fine and very much like the HDMI version if the optical output is used. End of topic, Barry.

Barry
post #513 of 1091 Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I had my first issue today.

Meet the Fockers (Canadian only version...although I think just the packaging / labeling is different from US version)
April Firmware, 0702 Driver, via HDMI (to Onkyo 605)

Played the Universal logo fine and then the nice helicopter sound on menu and movie.

Power cycled the player and the movie / menu played fine.

Had audio loss (10 seconds or more) during special features (SD DD 2.0), paused and then had helicopter sound again. I then pulled the disc and powered it off.

Hmm....

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 1091 Old 07-01-2008, 12:44 PM

Played an Easter Egg from the US version of Paramount's Cloverfield Blu-ray today and it exhibited the same problems as those seen in the special features for Zodiac, Face/Off, etc. (stuttering/choppy video). For information on accessing the disc's Easter Eggs, see the High Def. Digest review here:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/clov....html#Section6
post #515 of 1091 Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What problems with Face/Off and Zodiac? I've searched back through your older posts and you've not mentioned them before.

Are they both USA versions? Are they HD-DVDs or BDs? I presume you're running the April firmware?
post #516 of 1091 Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

What problems with Face/Off and Zodiac? I've searched back through your older posts and you've not mentioned them before.

Are they both USA versions? Are they HD-DVDs or BDs? I presume you're running the April firmware?

Sorry, I didn't report on the problems with Face/Off and Zodiac HD DVDs. I think the problem is pretty widespread, however. All of the discs mentioned are the US versions. When you watch the special features, the audio is fine, but the image suffers from some judder.

I'm running the latest firmware.
post #517 of 1091 Old 07-03-2008, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I presume both are HD-DVDs? Face/Off in America is now out on both. I think Zodiac USA is HD-DVD only but I cannot remember for sure.

Thanks. Once known I'll add them.
post #518 of 1091 Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 PM

OK, I just checked my US HD DVD version of Face/Off and the special features on disc 2 work fine. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the latest firmware update. Am I crazy or was this issue with special features on both the Zodiac and Face/Off HD DVD a well-documented, widespread issue? At any rate, Face/Off works now and I don't have Zodiac available to me to test.

As for the US Blu-ray version of Cloverfield, it appears as if I jumped the gun a bit. The "Military Cast" easter egg is the only one giving me problems on the BH200. The video is a bit jerky, but the audio is fine. Just to make sure, I popped the disc into my PS3 and it played better -- not perfect, but better. Even on the PS3 it was a bit choppy, though not as noticeable as on the BH200.

Perhaps I should just shut-up and stop looking for problems.

Quote:

I presume both are HD-DVDs? Face/Off in America is now out on both. I think Zodiac USA is HD-DVD only but I cannot remember for sure.

Thanks. Once known I'll add them.

post #519 of 1091 Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Sorry if this is already mentioned (don't have time to read entire thread) but I have discovered a problem with playing disc 2 of Face/Off HDDVD.

The video is just constantly studdering.....pausing and then skipping fwd a few frames. This is on all parts of disc two........the extras disc.

I am in Canada so it is the North American version of the HDDVD and I have the newest firmware and the 702 driver. I have tried two different copies and both are the same. I am using Blue Jeans BELDEN F series 2 HDMI cable to my Denon 3808.....and the same cable out to my Sony KDS-60A2020.

The new firmware appears to need updating to work with this disc. Disc 1 (the movie) plays fine and also Disc 2 does play fine on my Toshiba HD-D3.
post #520 of 1091 Old 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

Sorry if this is already mentioned (don't have time to read entire thread) but I have discovered a problem with playing disc 2 of Face/Off HDDVD.

The video is just constantly studdering.....pausing and then skipping fwd a few frames. This is on all parts of disc two........the extras disc.

I am in Canada so it is the North American version of the HDDVD and I have the newest firmware and the 702 driver. I have tried two different copies and both are the same. I am using Blue Jeans BELDEN F series 2 HDMI cable to my Denon 3808.....and the same cable out to my Sony KDS-60A2020.

The new firmware appears to need updating to work with this disc. Disc 1 (the movie) plays fine and also Disc 2 does play fine on my Toshiba HD-D3.

That is weird...see my post above. I've got no problems with disc 2 for Face/Off, and I think we're running the same firmware and driver...
post #521 of 1091 Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Ran into my first disc error tonight: Special Features disc of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. I get a disc error message when I try to play it, the tray opens immediately and spits it out. Anyone else have problems with that one?
post #522 of 1091 Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@ DCSholtis: I presume you have the April firmware/0702 driver?

@ JKR1963/DoctorMaustus: Weird. Is anyone else having problems with Face/Off, USA Disc 2 HD-DVD (even if it's now working)? Are we talking about a specific extra or all of them? I wonder if the USA BD version has problems with the BH200? That has a remastered picture on Disc 1, so who knows.

I'll add Cloverfield.
post #523 of 1091 Old 07-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

@ DCSholtis: I presume you have the April firmware/0702 driver?

@ JKR1963/DoctorMaustus: Weird. Is anyone else having problems with Face/Off, USA Disc 2 HD-DVD (even if it's now working)? Are we talking about a specific extra or all of them? I wonder if the USA BD version has problems with the BH200? That has a remastered picture on Disc 1, so who knows.

I'll add Cloverfield.

Thats correct April Firmware/0702 driver. In addition I tried something on my Shrek HD DVD. Going into the coloring book web enhanced add-on and sending a colored picture to myself which shut the machine down totally.
post #524 of 1091 Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Ran into my first disc error tonight: Special Features disc of Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. I get a disc error message when I try to play it, the tray opens immediately and spits it out. Anyone else have problems with that one?

I have the exact same disc. I will try it tomorrow.

Update:

I tried it. All the non profile 2.0 special features work for me--deleted scenes, full length songs, etc.
post #525 of 1091 Old 07-06-2008, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cheers Allargon. I'll hold off, just in case.
post #526 of 1091 Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSholtis View Post

Plays fine on my BH200. I played the song Let's Duet.

By the way, how do I determine what version of firmware I am on? Build date is Feb., 2008. The latest machine I could find.
post #527 of 1091 Old 07-06-2008, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

By the way, how do I determine what version of firmware I am on? Build date is Feb., 2008. The latest machine I could find.

From the first post of the stickied thread up top:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

Quote:
* How do I check what my current firmware is, if the firmware installed correctly and what my SD DVD Region Code is?

Go to:

1. Setup
2. TV Aspect
3. 16:9
4. Press 1, 3, 9, 7, 1, 3, 9
5. Press ENTER

post #528 of 1091 Old 07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Damn. Thanks I'll have to keep trying I guess. Those extras are almost funnier than the actual movie. Almost.
post #529 of 1091 Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I have the exact same disc. I will try it tomorrow.

Update:

I tried it. All the non profile 2.0 special features work for me--deleted scenes, full length songs, etc.

Thanks I'll have to give it another shot or maybe try and re load the April firmware and see if that helps.
post #530 of 1091 Old 07-07-2008, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Ok this past weekend I had 3 discs that gave me problems and I have the latest firmwares and drivers:

ENCHANTED BD- had some skips and audio/video dropouts

SUPERMAN RETURNS HD DVD- the feature played fine however I got a DISC ERROR message when trying to play the special features. What was really odd is this was the first HD DVD that actually paused the film while going into the SPECIAL FEATURES menu?

BATMAN BEGINS HD DVD- for me this title has always had some dropout problems at least once as it appears to have a mis-tracking in a few scenes but yesterday it had a prolonged audio dropout where I had to rewind the scene back to the drop out point and then it played correctly (listening to TrueHD track).
post #531 of 1091 Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 AM

Hello All --

I've experienced a disc error for the first time with the above title. I've tried two different discs, both from Netflix, but both discs were absolutely pristine: not a mark on them. The disc spins for about three minutes, and eventually the BH200 spits it out and displays the disc error message on the screen.

I've not read that anyone else has experienced this problem with this disc.

I've got the April FW and driver 702.

Cheers
Anna
post #532 of 1091 Old 07-07-2008, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx77 View Post

Hello All --

I've experienced a disc error for the first time with the above title. I've tried two different discs, both from Netflix, but both discs were absolutely pristine: not a mark on them. The disc spins for about three minutes, and eventually the BH200 spits it out and displays the disc error message on the screen.

I've not read that anyone else has experienced this problem with this disc.

I've got the April FW and driver 702.

Cheers
Anna

I just tried out the HD DVD version of that for you and it plays. I have a Feb. 2008 machine with no updates done to it yet.
post #533 of 1091 Old 07-07-2008, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Quote:
* How do I check what my current firmware is, if the firmware installed correctly and what my SD DVD Region Code is?

Go to:

1. Setup
2. TV Aspect
3. 16:9
4. Press 1, 3, 9, 7, 1, 3, 9
5. Press ENTER

Doesn't work. Tried it a few times. I can see the player is receiving the commands. The player is locked into 16:9 also.
post #534 of 1091 Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Narcopolo.

It definitely does works. I did it only the other day, using the April firmware (although it works with any firmware). With 16:9 highlighted, press the numbers keys (one after the other), then press Enter.

Many others have confirmed it works for them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx77 View Post

Hi Anna. That does sound annoying.

I wonder if the HD-DVD also causes problems, it's bound to use the same encode as the BD (so the same quality). I've added it to the list.
post #535 of 1091 Old 07-08-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

ENCHANTED BD- had some skips and audio/video dropouts

How often did it skip? Cheers. Does anyone else have problems with this title?

To double check you definitely have the 0702 driver? I only ask as Enchanted is specifically one of the titles the 0702 driver addresses. It maybe worth re-applying it, even if you already have the 0702 driver. Just download it and put it on a USB Stick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcole View Post

SUPERMAN RETURNS HD DVD- the feature played fine however I got a DISC ERROR message when trying to play the special features.

I imagine both are the same but do you mean the combo or single sided disc? Any particular special feature, or is it all of them?
post #536 of 1091 Old 07-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

I had no problems with Enchanted on 702 and April FW.
post #537 of 1091 Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

How often did it skip? Cheers. Does anyone else have problems with this title?

To double check you definitely have the 0702 driver? I only ask as Enchanted is specifically one of the titles the 0702 driver addresses. It maybe worth re-applying it, even if you already have the 0702 driver. Just download it and put it on a USB Stick:

I imagine both are the same but do you mean the combo or single sided disc? Any particular special feature, or is it all of them?

I have the HD DVD of SUPERMAN RETURNS (non-combo) and whenever I went into SPECIAL FEATURES on the menu, I got the DISC ERROR message.

As for the driver it's the 702 driver as I checked the firmware and driver and it clearly states the 702 driver.

Now what I will try to do is do a re-install and see if that makes any differences after I get a memory stick this weekend.
post #538 of 1091 Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hi Narcopolo.

It definitely does works. I did it only the other day, using the April firmware (although it works with any firmware). With 16:9 highlighted, press the numbers keys (one after the other), then press Enter.

Many others have confirmed it works for them too.

I have no choice but to highlight 16:9 since no other choice can be selected. It's actually pre-selected. Maybe that's the problem.
post #539 of 1091 Old 07-09-2008, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have no choice but to highlight 16:9 since no other choice can be selected. It's actually pre-selected. Maybe that's the problem.

That's correct and normal. The other two are disabled unless you've got it connected to a 4:3 TV. Are you sure you're doing it right? No offence but I'm not sure you are, as it definitely works .

On a Widescreen display it automatically selects 16:9, then enter the numbers one after the other and then press Enter. You should then see the window appear.
post #540 of 1091 Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Guys!

Just got my BH200 a few weeks ago. Lovely player....
Haven't had much trouble with discs yet. Other than Planet Earth.HDDVD as mentioned in this thread (too bad I found out afterwards).

I'm currently thinking of buying this one: DVE HDDVD: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=573198
However, it is not listed initially in this thread, but listed here: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=344

So which do I believe? Can somebody confirm that this will play on BH200 (April FW)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page