Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 1091 Old 08-28-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sorry bud, my humor sense isn't very keen right now...family emergency this week (think motor vehicle versus pedestrian).

Sorry to hear that.
Hope everyone is going to be OK.

Take Care

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne View Post

All this "I buy a 2nd copy of the movie I already own and see if it works" is no solution to me. LG made the player fully HD DVD capable, they shall fix it.

I agree to an extent but sometimes it's easier just to fix things yourself. If the end result is what you wanted them IMO it's silly to wait with a duff disc in the hope the company comes through.

Quote:

I now own a German HD DVD of 300 that works with the June firmware, but I also own the same 300 HD DVD that only works with the January firmware. The discs have no scratches

Personally I'd sell your non-working disc and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

No blanket statements please. Neither of my BD-UP5000s possess this problem.

Agreed. Neither the LG or Samsung Combo Players are better than the other. Which isn't surprising when they use the same core decoding chip.

Quote:

Do the LG guys receive the reports on the discs that do not work by checking this forum? Is this forum pressure enough for them to address the issues?

I don't reckon they read this forum. People need to be telling LG direct.
post #783 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Completely agree, and I can't stress this enough.

People need to be emailing LG to report the problems they want fixed. We can't expect LG to be searching online forums.

And, the more people who report a problem, the more likely it is to get fixed I'd think (if something is impacting many users, it should get bumped in priority.)

It takes only a minute or two to send them and email and it could make all the difference.

They are obviously dedicated to supporting this unit, it's in our best interest to try to steer/influence the work they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I don't reckon they read this forum. People need to be telling LG direct.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for that STPAT. Do you have their Support e-mail address and/or support "contact us" form?

I'll add it to the Mini-FAQ.
post #785 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Here's the US LG contact page (there's an email link you can click on in the middle of the page):

http://us.lge.com/general/contact.jsp

Quote:

Thanks for that STPAT. Do you have their Support e-mail address and/or support "contact us" form?

post #786 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. The UK one looks to be the same, no e-mail link though:

http://uk.lge.com/support/contact/main.jhtml

Not that I'd use it. LG UK don't want to know. I doubt any of the LG European divisions are too bothered. I'd use the USA one.
post #787 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM

I'm in Canada, but I figured the US one was the way to go.

Quote:

Thanks. The UK one looks to be the same, no e-mail link though:

http://uk.lge.com/support/contact/main.jhtml

Not that I'd use it. LG UK don't want to know. I doubt any of the LG European divisions are too bothered. I'd use the USA one.

post #788 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Here's the US LG contact page (there's an email link you can click on in the middle of the page):

http://us.lge.com/general/contact.jsp

I'll chime in here if you don't mind...for specific customer / technical support issues go to:

http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

You can choose / click on (near the top of the page) either Bulletin Board (24/7 Support):

"We are open 24 hours 7 days a week to support your needs by phone. Please call us with any support issues you may have at 1-800-243-0000. Our staff is here to help you any day you need it.

For Wireless support, please call 1-800-793-8896."

or Contact Us (via mail or email):

Send a letter to: LG Electronics Alabama, Inc. Attn: Customer Service P.O. Box 240007 Huntsville, AL 35813-6407 or email [email protected].

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #789 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oddly that e-mail address in the link above says it's for: "LG Mobile Phones Customer Support & Warranty Services".
post #790 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 04:07 PM

Just bought the BH 200. It's a February 2008 build, and I did the April upgrade (not the June upgrade). Purchased "Hairspray" on Blu-Ray (the new musical, not the John Waters 1988 release).

In the "Hairspray" set-up menu, under audio, it gives me only one choice to select: Tru HD 7.1. There are no other choices, not even greyed-out choices. But the DVD jacket says that is also has 5.1 and 2.0 surround. Why would these choices not show up in the DVD's menu?

It's a bit problematic for me, as I have only a 5.1 receiver with no HDMI inputs (I have the BH 200 connected via optical to a Pioneer Elite VSX-14). The 5.1 indicators on the Pioneer not only do not light up when the DVD plays... there is NO audio from the DVD at all, unless I change the BH 200 to output "PCM stereo" (the Pioneer 5.1 lights still don't light, presumably because it's not getting a 5.1 signal). Outputting PCM stereo, I do get audio coming out five speakers and sub, but I'm not sure if it's just faux 5.1, or the PCM stereo just being re-distributed to all five speaker in a cheap, pseudo-matrix stereo way Either way, I was expecting better sound from this particular film (saw it in a great theater and also have the soundtrack on CD)

Other 5.1 DVDs work, my HD-DVDs also play back in 5.1. Soooo... is this a DVD issue or a BH 200 issue? Again, it's very strange that the DVD gives me only one choice to select an audio format...
post #791 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a question about the following entry:

4. Planet Earth: Complete Series, UK HD-DVD - All discs show the menu background but no options and navigation is impossible. See here, here and here.Working with January Firmware, see here and also working with the USA HD-DVD and April firmware, see here. The UK Blu-Ray Disc also works fine, see here.

I have the David Attenborrough narrated BBC version of Planet Earth. (I bought this through Amazon.com.)

Is this the same as the "UK HD-DVD" version?
post #792 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@ Marshallmedia: Do you have the BD or DVD? You mention both. I'm going to presume BD. It should hbave DTS-HD MA not TrueHD or any other audio format.

That is presuming you have the USA New Line BD? I cannot see where you live, so am unsure. TrueHD with DTS Re-encode enabled should give you 1.5Mbps DTS from the Optical connection.

Why don't you have the June firmware installed btw? FYI it's fairly normal for their to be only one audio choice in the original language (as well as dubs).

Lastly if you're getting 5.1 when set to PCM Stereo it's definitely fake 5.1 being created by your Amp. It's only receiving a PCM 2.0 stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertF View Post

I have the David Attenborrough narrated BBC version of Planet Earth. (I bought this through Amazon.com.)

Is this the same as the "UK HD-DVD" version?

As you bought it through Amazon.com I imagine you have the USA HD-DVD. The BBC distribute in The UK (obviously) and also America too.

Reading articles online it seems the USA box sets feature the UK transmission featuring David Attenborrough and not the USA transmission featuring (I think) Sigourney Weaver.

How many discs is it? It's 4 Discs in The States and 5 Discs in The UK. The first 4 Discs (again I think) have the same contents but the authoring is different and hence the BH200 can play the USA version just fine.
post #793 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

.....As you bought it through Amazon.com I imagine you have the USA HD-DVD. The BBC distribute in The UK (obviously) and also America too.

Reading articles online it seems the USA box sets feature the UK transmission featuring David Attenborrough and not the USA transmission featuring (I think) Sigourney Weaver.

How many discs is it? It's 4 Discs in The States and 5 Discs in The UK. The first 4 Discs (again I think) have the same contents but the authoring is different and hence the BH200 can play the USA version just fine.

Thanks for the help on my Planet Earth question.

I have the 4-disc set.

Looking more closely at the information on box I think I have a US version.

Here's some information from the box:

"2007 BBC Worlwide Ltd. Programs. 2006 British Broadcasting Corporation. Distributed by BBC Worldwide Americas Inc. acting as agents for 2 entertain Video Limited....Distributed in the USA and Canada by Warner Home Video Inc. a Warner Bros Entertainment Company, 400 Warner Blvd., Burbank CA"

I just bought a BH200 and it be a big drawback if it couldn't play my copy of Planet Earth.
post #794 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

As it's the USA box set, it will be fine. It's only the UK HD-DVD (not BD) box set which has issues with the BH200.
post #795 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As it's the USA box set, it will be fine. It's only the UK HD-DVD (not BD) box set which has issues with the BH200.

Awesome! Thanks for your help.

It does make me wonder what exactly is different about the UK version that the BH200 doesn't like.
post #796 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Who knows, possibly "slightly" poor authoring. A few of the "UK BBC HD-DVDs" have issues with the BH200, other newer UK BBC HD-DVDs (such as Torchwood) I believe work fine though.
post #797 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM

To Bravadon: Yes, you are right, I misspoke: the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray has only DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1. as a choice in its setup menu. There are no other choices, not even greyed-out choices. But the Blu-Ray jacket says that is also has 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0 surround. Still wondering how to get 5.1 out of this disc into my 5.1 AVR (which has no HDMI inputs... I am using the optical out of the player). Tried all combination of settings out of the BH 200, and PCM stereo is the only one that will pump out a signal. This is the U.S. New Line release (I live in the U.S.).
post #798 of 1091 Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9438 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Could others who have a working Clerks2 disc please also provide this info, would be nice to get to the bottom of this.

All this talk about Clerks 2 made me pull mine out. It works with all three of my BH200 players.
Then I had to sit down and watch it since I've never seen it.

It's kind of hard to make out the numbers/letters on the inner ring. I either need to find a magnifying glass or I need to try and scan it and blow it up.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #799 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First buggaboo for me tonite: (June Firmware & Driver 702)
was watching HEAT in SD WS & during the scene where the DeNiro crew was standing outside taking a vote if they should take down their final Bank score, their face colors all of a sudden changed to a redder hue. about 1 minute went by & the color changed back to what I had it set at.

I didn't touch anything. Replayed the scene & same thing happened.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to take down the Chapter & minute count.
Will try to do that tomorrow.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #800 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmedia View Post

To Bravadon: Yes, you are right, I misspoke: the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray has only DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1. as a choice in its setup menu. There are no other choices, not even greyed-out choices.

AFAIK there is only supposed to be English DTS-HD MA. I guess the cover is wrong.

Using an Optical lead though you should be able to get the DTS Core, no problem. Do other DTS-HD MA discs give you DTS? If so I'd take it back for a replacement. PCM Multi-channel, Primary Pass-thru or DTS Re-encode should all give you 5.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

was watching HEAT in SD WS & during the scene where the DeNiro crew was standing outside taking a vote if they should take down their final Bank score, their face colors all of a sudden changed to a redder hue. about 1 minute went by & the color changed back to what I had it set at.

I presume this doesn't happen on another Player?
post #801 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallmedia View Post

To Bravadon: Yes, you are right, I misspoke: the "Hairspray" Blu-Ray has only DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1. as a choice in its setup menu. There are no other choices, not even greyed-out choices. But the Blu-Ray jacket says that is also has 7.1, 5.1 and 2.0 surround. Still wondering how to get 5.1 out of this disc into my 5.1 AVR (which has no HDMI inputs... I am using the optical out of the player). Tried all combination of settings out of the BH 200, and PCM stereo is the only one that will pump out a signal. This is the U.S. New Line release (I live in the U.S.).

What firmware does your player have?
post #802 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #803 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 08:09 AM

Okay... I might be honing in on the "Hairspray" DTS-HD 7.1 thing. My PIoneer Elite AVR is an older model with 5.1 DD only; it does not decode DTS. I'm thinking maybe that's it - - DTS from the disc equals nothing coming out of the receiver (unless I select PCM 2.0 on the BH 200). But to add to the mystery: this is a two-disc Blu-Ray set. Looking closely (VERY closely, because the designers set some text in 2 pt. text or less!), the main movie on disc 1 is DTS-HD only. The second disc, with extras, has (according to the jacket), 7.1, 5.1, and 2.0 surround sound. No joy, though... there is no selection available for audio set-up on the second disc, and my Pioneer, again, is getting nothing except PCM 2.0.
post #804 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I imagine they mean the Disc 2 "extras" then have a mixture of audio types. As your Amp only does DD5.1 you'll likely find lots of discs to be troublesome.

Discs which have DD or DD Plus will be fine but discs which don't have either you will likely get Stereo only. What happens when you choose PCM Multi-channel? DTS Re-encode and Primary Pass-through require some kind of DTS support.

It's simply because HD Makers presume your Amp will support at least DD "and" DTS not just DD. Some Toshiba HD-DVD models converted TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD to DD but the LG does not, it converts to DTS.
post #805 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM

<< What happens when you choose PCM Multi-channel? DTS Re-encode and Primary Pass-through require some kind of DTS support. >>

PCM Multi-Channel is available as an option only if you use HDMI for audio playback. Since my AVR does not have HDMI inputs, problem seems to be solved: I either go buy a new AVR (not a smart move financially right now) or live with PCM 2.0. I'm an "audio equals video in terms of viewing satisfaction" kind of guy, so PCM 2.0 won't cut it either.
(maybe I should just become homeless or terminally ill to see what REAL problems look like...)
post #806 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 08:53 AM

Do any other Blu-Ray players do on-board converting of TrueHD/DTS/DTS-HD to DD, if the LG does not?
post #807 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK I just got this player to use in my bedroom for a great price and was all excited. I hooked it up HDMI to my Panasonic 42PX75U plasma. I first popped in Resident Evil:Extinction and noticed all kinds of banding and the blacks were crushed like the brightness was set way too low. I updated the fw via USB stick to the current version. Things looked better after that.

Now I went on a testing frenzy and unfortunately I am finding almost all my Adult HD DVDs have some kind of issue.

First off Babysitters will not even play. It is the same exact problem described on the first page of this thread listed under the previous fw but I have the new A fw and still the same issue.

Dreamgirlz will play but the popup menus don't function at all and if you bring them up even once, the word Pause stays on the screen. The only way to watch this one is load it, let it play and use the skip forward or back to change between tracks.

Jack's Teen America #3 works for the most part but the popup menu again is buggy. If you go into the popup menu and try to scroll through the scenes, the picture get messed up and chapter 18 gets stuck so it is hard to tell which scene you are skipping to.

Dreamcummers is another. When you hit play all or select a certain scene from the main menu, you hear sound but the screen is black. Once you skip forward or back though, the picture pops up.

I tested about 6 other non-adult HD DVD titles from varying studios, even an import and everything seemed to work fine. I was able to bring the popup menus up and change settings with no issues.

I have to be honest I am a little disappointed about all these issues with my adult titles and not even being able to play probably my favorite one, Babysitters. I kind of bought this on an impulse and looking around there seem to be alot of cool things about this player like the MR and all that but I would much prefer all my discs to play. I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it. Any chance we will get further fw updates or are they done supporting this machine?
post #808 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Problem found w/ Underworld: Evolution Spanish HD DVD. The trick to have English audio and no subtitles does not work! I tried as many ways as I could to get it set up right but no success. I even had the English track and No Subtitles highlighted in red at one point but the subs were still showing on the screen.

i have not seen this one listed at all on the first post of this thread.
post #809 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

You're the first to mention it .

Thanks guys. I'll read and update properly tomorrow.
post #810 of 1091 Old 08-31-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Small FYI,

I watched 1408 (Weinsteins first Blu-ray) and it played without a hitch. Just figured I'd toss that out their for those that may be wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page