Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1091 Old 04-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

That is interesting thanks. It's so weird how results differ wildly.

5harkology: What Loader Driver are you running? 702, 701 or prior.

Thanks LG BH200 Owner. I'll add it to the list.

You wouldn't happen to know if the Dutch Blu-ray Reservoir Dogs is Region B or Region Free? I know the USA BD is Region A but I'd prefer it Region Free.

FWIW, I didn't do the 2nd FW isntall after updating the driver (a procedure some have been mentioning).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1091 Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks.

It will be interesting to see if casey.christian has a problem after he upgrades to 702. I have a funny feeling it will continue to be fine for him.

Fair enough for those who've found that helps but I personally am not convinced re-installing the firmware actually makes any difference, it sounds more like a coincidence to me. That's just my opinion though.
post #153 of 1091 Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:

You wouldn't happen to know if the Dutch Blu-ray Reservoir Dogs is Region B or Region Free? I know the USA BD is Region A but I'd prefer it Region Free.

Sorry, i don't know.

My HD DVD is region free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 1091 Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks anyway.
post #155 of 1091 Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6579 Post(s)
Liked: 6349
Quote:

That is interesting thanks. It's so weird how results differ wildly.

5harkology: What Loader Driver are you running? 702, 701 or prior.

Thanks LG BH200 Owner. I'll add it to the list.

Is this the Dutch Filmworks version. I couldn't find any specific info on that particular version. It looks like many of the movies released by Dutch Filmworks are Region free though.
post #156 of 1091 Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5harkology View Post

FWIW, I didn't do the 2nd FW isntall after updating the driver (a procedure some have been mentioning).

Well, there you have it. The only variable I can think of is the driver version as I'm still using 701. Again, as bradavon has already said in an earlier post, it's just weird that there seems to be very little consistency between people's experience with this machine and the movies they watch. But, to be fair with LG, it's not just the BH200 that has these issues. Most every Blu-ray and HD DVD player I can think of has had at least a few issues with a few disks until a firmware update took care of it.

@Sharkology - just wondering, any reason you haven't tried reinstalling the March firmware after downloading the 702 driver? If I were you, I'd just be curious to see if it made any difference.

Quote:

It will be interesting to see if casey.christian has a problem after he upgrades to 702. I have a funny feeling it will continue to be fine for him.

Fair enough for those who've found that helps but I personally am not convinced re-installing the firmware actually makes any difference, it sounds more like a coincidence to me. That's just my opinion though.

For just about the first time ever, I'm going to have to disagree with you here bradavon. I actually think that there might be some legitimacy to the idea of reinstalling the March firmware after upgrading the driver. Granted, in this digital world of ours, where everything is nothing more than a series of repeatable 1's and 0's, you should always get a perfect copy of the information. You should. But, digital information gets corrupted a 100 different ways by a 100 different things all the time. Is it possible that firmware, especially a "beta" firmware, could degrade over time? I think so. As anyone who uses Windows on a regular basis can attest to, stranger things have happened.

Of course, I'm hope that you're right and everything will continue to be fine for me after I get everything hooked up this weekend and download the 702 driver, but you never know. I've got several new HD DVD and Blu-ray disks coming from Amazon, so I'm looking forward not only to enjoying my new HD audio system, but also testing more disks for you!

-Casey
post #157 of 1091 Old 04-05-2008, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Is this the Dutch Filmworks version. I couldn't find any specific info on that particular version. It looks like many of the movies released by Dutch Filmworks are Region free though.

Yes it is the Dutch Filmworks release. Thanks for the info. I couldn't source info either but think you're right. Few independent European labels are using BD Region coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.christian View Post

But, to be fair with LG, it's not just the BH200 that has these issues. Most every Blu-ray and HD DVD player I can think of has had at least a few issues with a few disks until a firmware update took care of it.

Aren't the LG and Samsung much worse though? Both are at around a dozen problem titles.

Quote:

Is it possible that firmware, especially a "beta" firmware, could degrade over time? I think so. As anyone who uses Windows on a regular basis can attest to, stranger things have happened.

Beta code wouldn't degrade over time, beta code is code just as much as official code, except it's not had as much testing and/or has bugs but for sure it could be faulty, like you know anyway

I'd happily be proven wrong that re-installing it makes a difference . I may even do it myself, just to be sure . As I have a Studio Canal HD-DVD (and plan to buy a few more) I'll likely be installing the March firmware but also putting the January one on too so I can watch those. I only plan to do this once though (then back to March) as it's something you really shouldn't do too often.

Quote:

Of course, I'm hope that you're right and everything will continue to be fine for me after I get everything hooked up this weekend and download the 702 driver, but you never know.

I'm very keen to hear your result. Thanks.
post #158 of 1091 Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Aren't the LG and Samsung much worse though? Both are at around a dozen problem titles.

Well, I don't know if I'd say the Samsung and LG are MUCH worse; maybe a little worse. Actually, the Samsung Blu-ray players are known to be pretty buggy, too. All in all though, when you consider that both the Samsung and LG are dual format players, it would stand to reason that the chance of problems might double since they are having to deal with both BD and HD DVD. All in all, I think the LG in particular should be commended for doing as well as it does.

Quote:

Beta code wouldn't degrade over time, beta code is code just as much as official code, except it's not had as much testing and/or has bugs but for sure it could be faulty, like you know anyway

I didn't mean to imply that the beta code would degrade over time anymore than an official code. My point, is that it can happen to any code. Over months of use all kinds of things can happen ... power outages, surges, too much static, etc, etc. All of these things have been known to make electronics get a little buggy. Again, while I wouldn't go so far as to say that reinstalling the March firmware after downloading the 702 driver is going to fix all the problems all the time, I do think it's worth trying. I mean, chances are, it's not going to make things worse, so why not give it a try?

By the way ... have you gotten a BH200 yet? I'm having a lot of fun with mine and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you finally get your hands on one!

-Casey
post #159 of 1091 Old 04-05-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

@Sharkology - just wondering, any reason you haven't tried reinstalling the March firmware after downloading the 702 driver? If I were you, I'd just be curious to see if it made any difference.

No particular reason, I just never saw a purpose to do so. With that said, I reflashed the march fw today (post-0702 install) and so far I have noticed 1 of the problems with Afro-Samurai has been resolved....

The menu outline now goes away, but the "00:00:00" is still pasted in the upper right quadrant.

I will notify as I come across any of my previously posted issues that have been resolved from relashing the march fw.
post #160 of 1091 Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Ok, now I'm having problems with the player decoding TrueHD, it's only sending it out 2 channel. I checked all my settings, they are the same as before my 2nd flash. I'm flashing it again with the march fw. It's definately set to multi PCM output. Any ideas?

update: It appears to only be the NIN: Beside You in Time HD DVD that I'm having the 2 channel issue with. I just tested Superman Returns HD DVD and my Onkyo 604 is accepting a Multi-Channel PCM input from the BH200. Can anyone that owns the NIN disc test this?
post #161 of 1091 Old 04-06-2008, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, I don't know if I'd say the Samsung and LG are MUCH worse; maybe a little worse. Actually, the Samsung Blu-ray players are known to be pretty buggy, too. All in all though, when you consider that both the Samsung and LG are dual format players, it would stand to reason that the chance of problems might double since they are having to deal with both BD and HD DVD.

Thanks for that. You're probably right that the Combos aren't much worse and you do only hear about things when people have problems, not about the people who're happy with their Combos.

Quote:

All in all, I think the LG in particular should be commended for doing as well as it does.

Agreed and especially when LG re-release the March firmware officially. It should be an interesting month next month when LG and Samsung release their respective Lossless Firmware, presuming they actually do.

Quote:

By the way ... have you gotten a BH200 yet? I'm having a lot of fun with mine and am looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you finally get your hands on one!

Sadly no.

When I could afford one there was no Combo that could output Lossless or was Profile 1.1, now LG have given us this ability with the BH200 I'd definitely buy one, except I'm currently now unemployed so cannot afford any HD Player, or rather I can but it would be silly to spend that kind of money.

I am buying discs when I see them cheap though, as I hope to be able to afford one soon. Thanks for the comments.
post #162 of 1091 Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 PM

Liked: 18
Pirates of the Caribbean : At Worlds End BD - Menu flicker, movie playes just fine, only disc that I've had a problem with

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #163 of 1091 Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I presume the menu still works?
post #164 of 1091 Old 04-06-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Agreed and especially when LG re-release the March firmware officially. It should be an interesting month next month when LG and Samsung release their respective Lossless Firmware, presuming they actually do.

Even though I seem to be one of the lucky ones who's not having any of the major issues, I'm still very anxious for the "official" firmware that we are all hoping shows up in May. All in all, I've been very pleased with my BH200.

FYI ... I got everything all setup this morning. So far, so good. After connecting the BH200 to my wireless router instead of directly to the cable modem, everything worked like a charm. I did the network update, downloaded the 702 driver, and presto ... no issues. I did put both Transformers and Across the Universe back in and again had none of the glitches. So, I guess it's not a driver thing.

I'll post more details in the firmware thread later this week, but I did get it connected to my Onkyo 705 via HDMI. Set the audio to Primary Pass-thru and all worked right. Across the Universe bitstreamed TrueHD to the receiver and my HD DVD of Pan's Labyrinth sent DTS-HD Master Audio with no issues, either.

Quote:

When I could afford one there was no Combo that could output Lossless or was Profile 1.1, now LG have given us this ability with the BH200 I'd definitely buy one, except I'm currently now unemployed so cannot afford any HD Player, or rather I can but it would be silly to spend that kind of money.

Oh! Sorry about that. I'd forgotten that you'd mentioned the unemployment thing in another post. Well, I certainly hope that gets better for you soon! But on the bright side ... I know I'm not alone in saying how much I appreciate all your free time and how much you've contributed to the threads here. Who knows if I'd had ever decided to take the leap and buy the LG if not for all the info you compiled and made easy to find?!

Best wishes!

-C.
post #165 of 1091 Old 04-07-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntanjam View Post

The player with 702 driver does not navigate in pause. I'll have my freind try it from his player tonight as he has driver 699. I will post tomorrow.

Did you get a chance to test this? Even though I expect no difference, I'm still curious about the result. Thanks.
post #166 of 1091 Old 04-07-2008, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

FYI ... I got everything all setup this morning. So far, so good. After connecting the BH200 to my wireless router instead of directly to the cable modem, everything worked like a charm. I did the network update, downloaded the 702 driver, and presto ... no issues. I did put both Transformers and Across the Universe back in and again had none of the glitches. So, I guess it's not a driver thing.

Thanks for the update. It's appreciated.

The biggest problem as far as discs goes for me is the Studio Canal issue. I own The Graduate and have Mulholland Drive on order. I also plan to pick up La Haine too (Criterion released this under it's English title "Hate"). I have a feeling this will be okay when the May firmware comes considering it's only an issue with the March not Official January firmware.

Quote:

my HD DVD of Pan's Labyrinth sent DTS-HD Master Audio with no issues, either.

Sweet. That's one I will definitely be picking up, but the BD, which is also unusually for New Line Region Free. The UK HD-DVD/BD only has DD5.1 and no PIP commentary, it's otherwise the same.

Quote:

Well, I certainly hope that gets better for you soon!

Thanks, me too. It should do. I'm IT technically qualified so hopefully.

Quote:

But on the bright side ... I know I'm not alone in saying how much I appreciate all your free time and how much you've contributed to the threads here. Who knows if I'd had ever decided to take the leap and buy the LG if not for all the info you compiled and made easy to find?!

No worries, glad I could help.

I always find it useful to have dedicated/updated threads with the relevant info. I am as a good a person as any to do it. I know what you mean, forums are invaluable for finding out what is the best thing to buy.
post #167 of 1091 Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM

I know this has been brought up before but I just had my first problem with a movie, Sunshine. I am running the March firmware wih the newest driver. It seems that the PIP commentary takes over the normal audio. The movie also freezed up and pixelated badly half way through. Maybe a different audio option will allow me to watch this movie (I just left everthing at it's defaults). Only problem I've had with any of my HD DVD or Blu-ray movies.
post #168 of 1091 Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.

People seem to get very mixed results with the Sunshine USA BD (including the Profile 1.1 content). For some it's fine, others they have problems.

It's annoying Fox use region coding as I'd otherwise recommend just picking up the UK version which is identical, except it has no Profile 1.1 extras. It's not known if that works any better, but I suspect it would.
post #169 of 1091 Old 04-08-2008, 11:51 PM

With the original firmware and driver 0701, the following combination allowed us to silence the PiP audio and avoid stuttering video that was otherwise present when viewing Sunshine (note, our audio is over SPDIF/optical):
- set the BH200 to SPDIF Primary Pass-thru
- for Sunshine, select the Dolby Digital 5.1 track

Start Sunshine...it should work...in theory...

Undoubtedly the March firmware handles various audio encodes better, so it may no longer be necessary to choose the DD5.1 track. Try the DTS-MA track (with the BH200 set to primary pass-thru, you'll get DTS...from the "Core"). Treat the DD5.1 track as your fall-back if you encounter playback issues. We haven't re-tested with the new firmware as we only rented the movie in the first place.

Anyway, that audio combination was successful on our BH200 (original firmware, driver 0701) aside from audio going out of sync in one chapter (it was about 3 seconds behind the video...or was it ahead...can't remember).

I didn't realize it at the time, but the "Primary Pass-thru" option will never have PiP audio for true Profile 1.1/2.0 titles and HD DVD titles as the PiP audio track is handled by a secondary audio decoder (the secondary audio / video decoder is required for HD DVD and Profile 1.1/2.0). Maybe I'm reading too much into the "Primary" portion of the pass-thru option, but it seems to me the secondary decoder is just ignored, while audio from the "primary" decoder is sent through. Keep this in mind if you run into PiP problems again.

Hope that helps.
post #170 of 1091 Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the help! I was able to get Sunshine to play after I reflashed the March firmware and set HDMI to pass-thru. I also selected the Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Funny thing is that I had absolutely no video drop outs until I messed around with the PIP features of Sunshine. Now I get a video drop out here and there. This worries me. What will this unit do if and when most Blu-Ray movies become profile 1.1 or 2.0? I still have a perfectly good A2 unit and am considering returning the BH200. Maybe I should just get a PS3 or wait for the panasonic BD50.... I so much want the BH200 to be rock solid
post #171 of 1091 Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM

running the march 14th firmware I've only found 2 minor problems so far.

Pirates of the carribbean 3 - It starts up fine, the talking skull is fine too. If you pick the disc menu instead of play movie, then the screen it shows you flickers like crazy. I can still make out the options and navigate it though. Watching the movie, it had no problems that i noticed.

House of 1000 corpses - When it started up i had no video signal but i could hear audio. Waited a minute and then it suddenly showed the menu and worked fine. Navigating the special features, i was able to play the little game called zombietron or something to that effect, but after it was game over i was stuck with no video or audio instead of it going back to the main menu.
post #172 of 1091 Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Pixelcide. Xfett also posted about the same problem with Pirates 3:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13575205

Several users have reported menus flicker violently on several titles, but most seem to be able to navigate them. Other members have tried the same discs (with the same firmware) and it's fine.
post #173 of 1091 Old 04-09-2008, 05:04 PM

bigjb419: If there wasn't a new firmware on the horizon, I'd be more worried. As it is, the March firmware gave us an idea of the leaps that new firmware can provide. Another way to view it is that we essentially have a pre-release (as in, not fully tested) firmware that's performing quite well. Also, Sunshine isn't necessarily authored the same way as all future Profile 1.1 titles, so maybe it's not a great yardstick. Maybe initial titles of a format have more quirks...which get handed down to the hardware companies to deal with via firmware.

Supposedly we're about a month away from the new firmware coming out. If that's too much of a risk, perhaps return the BH200, and then wait for feedback on the new BH200 firmware. Nothing says you have to buy a PS3 or BD50 right away.

For us, BH200 movie playback has been very solid (Sunshine excepted). A couple video drops, but not every title. Similar drop behaviour to what we experienced with the A3 actually, so we're quite happy with the BH200 and look forward to further improvements coming soon.
post #174 of 1091 Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 PM

I picked up a Jan 2008 build date BH200 yesterday (not sure of the firmware version -- haven't looked yet), but I thought I'd throw this out for an error.

I got the HD DVD "Channels" from a HV sell-off and put it in the BH200 this evening. I then noticed that the menu bars over the currently selected choice in the menu appear as large blocks and do not show the underlying text. So, I put the disk in my HD-A35 and then my HD-XA2 and the text shows correctly through the menu bar for the selected option.

This movie was really out there, but there is a bug nonetheless with the BH200. If anyone would like me to dig further, let me know...
post #175 of 1091 Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd guess you're running the November firmware. It would be worth trying the Official January firmware (here: http://us.lgservice.com/) and/or Pre-release March firmware to see if this fixes it.

It would also be worth upgrading to the 0702 Driver. All detailed here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

That link also details how to check the firmware.
post #176 of 1091 Old 04-10-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

bigjb419: If there wasn't a new firmware on the horizon, I'd be more worried. As it is, the March firmware gave us an idea of the leaps that new firmware can provide. Another way to view it is that we essentially have a pre-release (as in, not fully tested) firmware that's performing quite well. Also, Sunshine isn't necessarily authored the

[SNIP]

For us, BH200 movie playback has been very solid (Sunshine excepted). A couple video drops, but not every title. Similar drop behaviour to what we experienced with the A3 actually, so we're quite happy with the BH200 and look forward to further improvements coming soon.

@bigjb419 - I agree with oilblue. What the March firmware did was pretty incredible. It really surpassed evolutionary and bordered on revolutionary. I've been impressed with the LG's quick load times, quiet operation, and excellent upscaling of SD DVD's. Considering that all of this is working with a "beta" version of the firmware, I have to say that I believe the final version of the firmware will make the BH200 quite simply one of the best HD players on the market.

Also, as oilblue pointed out, Sunshine was the first commercially available bonus view Blu-ray. As we all know, the Java on Blu-ray disks has proven to be a little buggy so far. There's no reason to think that future Profile 1.1 disks won't be more robust.

Quote:

I'd guess you're running the November firmware. It would be worth trying the Official January firmware (here: http://us.lgservice.com/) and/or Pre-release March firmware to see if this fixes it.

It would also be worth upgrading to the 0702 Driver. All detailed here:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

That link also details how to check the firmware.

Agreed. If at all possible, you should try updating to the latest official firmware from January. It seems to have solved a lot of disk compatibility issues.

Speaking in broader terms, I've got to say I haven't had any more issues with my BH200 than I did with the Toshiba HD-A3. At the end of the day, we are all more or less "early adopters" and there's not a single HD player on the market (be it HD DVD or Blu-ray) that doesn't have issues and need firmware updating from time to time. Considering how much the BH200 has to deal with (hundreds of disks in both formats) I think it's a pretty awesome machine and will only get better with future updates!

-C.
post #177 of 1091 Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Casey.

Agreed. If LG can properly fix the audio/video drop outs and most of the disc problems (all would be expecting too much) on top of what the March firmware can do already the BH200 will be a real winner.

I've told Samsungmaster about the Disc problems thread and presumably other LG staff read this forum so hopefully they can work on fixing the 12-16 discs that have been reported to not work 100%. Some are minor.

I bet a good portion of them all share 2-3 root cause problems.
post #178 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 AM

bradavon and casey.christian:
Thanks for the input. I updated my BH200 with the March firmware and also the 0702 driver and the menu on the HD DVD of this independent movie "Channels" still doesn't highlight properly after the updates.

I agree that we are all early adopters and this is just "normal" to encounter these types of issues.

Thanks again for the help. I love the unit and it's got a permanent home.
post #179 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have just received the Dragon Tiger Gate Blu-ray disc from Hong Kong (not the US release). It is a Region A disc but it does not play correctly with the March firmware and the 702 driver.

The disc does not show a menu, yet the word Menu appears in the display, the disc icon is spinning though.

After about 5 minutes a menu appears but if you then push play, the movie does not start, I didn't wait another 5 minutes for something to happen. I may have to check for this again, I had no time to wait for something to happen.

The movie is in DTS-HD Audio Master 7.1 if anyone is interested in those details and the Dolby TrueHD sound track is also in 7.1, this is what it sais on the label on the back.
post #180 of 1091 Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I thought I saw this reported somewhere already but couldn't find it...
I'm using a BH200 connected to an Onkyo TX-SR500 via SPDIF and using the DTS Re-encode setting. I have a copy of Jurassic Park on DVD with DTS. I am unable to play the DTS soundtrack. On inserting the disc I see the menu presenting the choice between DTS and Dolby Digital, but selecting either one gives a DD Suround track. Using an HD-A2 I am able to select and get to the DTS track.

This is with the March Firmware and loader 0702. I didn't try this disc before updating the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page