Discs the LG BH200 has problems with - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I just hooked mine up today and am having problems with the following

Planet Earth HD DVD -- freezes on main menu
Bourne Identity HD DVD -- freezes on main menu
The Matrix HD DVD -- see studio logo then freezes (no menu)
Bourne Ultimatum -- freezes, no menu, no anything.

These are all US releases with March firmware. The only HD DVD I've managed to get to work was Batman Begins....but then I can't bitstream anything with HD DVD either

I guess I will be sending this one back.

What receiver and connections are you using?

-C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Casey. That's good to hear.

Quote:

I just hooked mine up today and am having problems with the following

Planet Earth HD DVD -- freezes on main menu
Bourne Identity HD DVD -- freezes on main menu
The Matrix HD DVD -- see studio logo then freezes (no menu)
Bourne Ultimatum -- freezes, no menu, no anything.

Can you get these to eventually play the movie? How about stopping the disc then pressing Play, so bypassing the menu?

Generally speaking, can you do that on the BH200? Do you mean the last two won't load the disc and it continues to spin the disc?
post #213 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
sorry, when I say freezes on main menu I mean that the menu continues to loop, but the button press has no effect.

The ones with a studio logo and then a black screen have the icon on the player in a continuous spinning mode.

The only way to remove the disc is to power down the unit and then power it up via the eject button. Using the power button will just start the disc playback and then you are in the same loop again. None of the other buttons have any effect on playback...or lack thereof.

Batman Begins (no main menu) worked fine and so did a homemade HD DVD on a DVD-R with a menu.

I am using HDMI connections to an Onkyo 605 (where bitstreaming only works on Blu-ray) to my projector (720p -- also the set resolution in the player).

I tried both the Jan and March firmware with the same results -- reinitializing the player both times after a successful flash.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.

Planet Earth has caused troubles in the Samsung BD-UP5000 Combo Player too. I don't remember seeing others saying Bourne Identity, Bourne Ultimatum or The Matrix didn't work in their BH200 though.

Has anyone else had a problem with these titles? Before I add them to the list.
post #215 of 1091 Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Thanks.

Planet Earth has caused troubles in the Samsung BD-UP5000 Combo Player too. I don't remember seeing others saying Bourne Identity, Bourne Ultimatum or The Matrix didn't work in their BH200 though.

Has anyone else had a problem with these titles? Before I add them to the list.

I do not own Planet Earth but have watched all the Matrix titles and the Borne Ultimatum without any problems.
post #216 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 AM

Liked: 10
No problems with any of the Bourne films here. I'm thinking something was wrong with sivartk's player since it hardly played anything successfully while other BH200's have had no issue with those titles. In other words, I wouldn't add those titles to the "problem" list until we eliminate problem player as a factor.
post #217 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed. I was thinking the same.
post #218 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 AM

My unit plays Planet Earth and the Bourne movies just fine.
I watched Billy Madison in HD DVD format last night and it was perfect. No repeatable audio dropouts.
My main issue seems to be one repeatable audio dropout on just a few movies so far. No video dropouts, but Sunshine gets glitchy around the 1 hour 20 minute mark. So far, only Sunshine has been a truly problematic film. Sunshine plays perfectly on my PS3 of course.
post #219 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

No problems with any of the Bourne films here. I'm thinking something was wrong with sivartk's player since it hardly played anything successfully while other BH200's have had no issue with those titles. In other words, I wouldn't add those titles to the "problem" list until we eliminate problem player as a factor.

I've asked for a replacement unit, so we'll see what happens.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #220 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good idea.

Can those who've had disc playback problems on the LG BH200 please re-test their dics using the new April firmware.
post #221 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 PM

(note: March firmware, driver 0702; edit: April firmware too)

Was quite surprised when I put The Matador into our BH200, and the only thing that popped up on screen was a message along the lines of:
Quote:

This movie will not play due to parental setting of the player.

Huh? The parental controls haven't been touched. Verified things, and sure enough, the player was set to unlocked. Odd.

Searched on net, found a number of reports of this problem with The Matador (along with an entire thread on AVS about it being a CRAP disc due to QA issues). Hmmm. Not good.

Grasping at straws, I decided to try changing the "Area Code" on the parental controls screen. Being in Canada, our player was set to "CA". Changed it to "US". Pressed play...and the menu came up. Phew.

Chances are the title was authored in a faulty manner given all the reports of problems, and Weinstein general track record with HD DVD. Still, it falls to LG as it's their player that's not playing the disc. Fun times to be a CE company.

So, LG will hopefully release a firmware fix for this title. In the meantime, be prepared to change the "Area Code" if The Matador complains about parental controls.

I'll try it with the April firmware, possibly later today.
post #222 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 01:46 PM

(note: March firmware, driver 0702; edit: April firmware too)

The surprise with The Matador (see above) was the closest we'd come to a problem playing a disc on either format. Good luck was bound to end some time...

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics (HD DVD) was released almost a month ago. As discussed here, DVE: HD Basics is *not* the same as DVE: HD which was released on HD DVD Combo-Format. This is an updated version with more detail and explanation surrounding the tests.

Not surprisingly their menu structure is more complex than any other disc I've seen. Unfortunately the BH200 doesn't handle it well at all. Several navigation options don't work properly.

For example, a few sub-menus allow you to scroll through tests (much like scrolling through chapter / scenes in an HD DVD menu). The up and down arrow don't function though. Only option is to play the selected item.

I was able to complete the test I wanted, but with a much more difficult and frustrating user experience than if the menus and navigation worked properly.

Clearly a firmware update is needed for DVE:HD Basics.

If I'm lucky, the April update will do the trick. Doubtful though, as it seems to be the re-release of the March update that first appeared a month ago.
post #223 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Any luck with DVE:HD Basics and the April firmware? Before I add it to any list.
post #224 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just to confirm that following the April firmware, the Studio Canal HD DVD of Terminator 2 now plays fine without the annoying information box. So I'd guess that this particular bug is fixed across all the Studio Canal titles.

Still some bitstreaming quirks with my Onkyo 605: Bourne Ultimatum smashes during the Touareg chase still don't sound right under TrueHD (but fine if internally decoded), and Matrix DD+ track gives static under straight pass-through but is fine if any signal processing is added, TrueHD is fine.
post #225 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Peter.

User "danceswithbass" confirmed earlier the Studio Canal issue is fixed: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=463

I'll add your post as a "Source" to the first post though. I'm chuffed it's fixed, as not being able to play the Studio Canal titles and with Lossless Audio too was of a concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Still some bitstreaming quirks with my Onkyo 605: Bourne Ultimatum smashes during the Touareg chase still don't sound right under TrueHD (but fine if internally decoded), and Matrix DD+ track gives static under straight pass-through but is fine if any signal processing is added, TrueHD is fine.

Can you not set TrueHD to on-board decode? Doesn't that fix it? Or does it then sound inferior?

It is weird On-Board seems okay but Bitstreaming isn't, when Bitstreaming should be the easy party.
post #226 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Can you not set TrueHD to on-board decode? Doesn't that fix it? Or does it then sound inferior?

It is weird On-Board seems okay but Bitstreaming isn't, when Bitstreaming should be the easy party.

Yep, on-board player decoding is fine, and due to the Bourne Ultimatum quirk it sounds much better than bitstreaming. It may be a problem with the receiver and this particular track.

Ideally one wouldn't have to remember to switch between on-board decoding (to avoid quirks) and bitstreaming (to get DTS-MA) before starting a movie but worse things happen at sea.
post #227 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjcat View Post

Ideally one wouldn't have to remember to switch between on-board decoding (to avoid quirks) and bitstreaming (to get DTS-MA) before starting a movie but worse things happen at sea.

That really sucks, you have to switch back and fourth . I could live with it though, hopefully it's not lots of screens to get through to switch back and fourth.

Thanks btw.
post #228 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 PM

No, it's pretty easy. The annoying thing is when you get through all the unskippable FBI warnings and studio intros and finally make it to the movie, only to realise you've got the sound wrong and you have to go back and start all over again.

But in reality I've found hardly any problems with bitstreaming, and hardly any discs that even have DTS-MA, let alone where it makes a big difference over DTS 1.5, so either way it's not the end of the world.
post #229 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks again Peter.

It's annoying you cannot Stop the disc, change the option and just Resume where you left off.
post #230 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 PM

HD DVD doesn't have that functionality, very annoying omission if you ask me. DVD and Blu-Ray should, though I don't know whether going into the Setup menu "forgets" the Resume point. I forgot to program the "Resume" button into my Harmony remote, keep meaning to get around to it
post #231 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HD DVD does have the resume function...so does Blu-ray, but studios choose to author in the advanced mode that doesn't allow for this functionality. My homemade HD DVD and a couple of pressed one's (no in movie menus) will resume just fine.

My Little Theater
post #232 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

HD DVD does have the resume function...so does Blu-ray, but studios choose to author in the advanced mode that doesn't allow for this functionality. My homemade HD DVD and a couple of pressed one's (no in movie menus) will resume just fine.

No, studios didn't include the code in the advanced authoring to allow this functionality. Allegedly Studio Canal HD DVD's have this. My quest to get my first import La Haine was thwarted when my Danish connection ran out of stock.
post #233 of 1091 Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Pete.

@ Allargon: La Haine has also been released in the UK by Optimum Releasing, it's a port from the French disc (as they all are). All these ship to America:

http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7001000130021
http://www.dvd.co.uk/DVD/La-Haine-Hi...01/product.htm
http://www.choicesuk.com/Product.aspx/!685077
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KCI8XE
Currently on sale for £9.99: http://www.hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=93;13;-1;-1&sku=587194
Currently on sale for £8.99 (Zavvi is the new name for Virgin Megastore over here): http://www.zavvi.co.uk/La-Haine/752662/p.jsf

All of them are reliable. I don't know which works out cheapest to America when you include postage, but it should be easy to check the help pages, to work it out.

You may find it cheaper than importing it from Mainland Europe.

You can also see a list of all the Studio Canal HD-DVDs released and which ones were ported to The UK, Germany and Australia here:

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=4441

It's a safe site, ignore the url name.
post #234 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 AM

Liked: 12
Tried the new firmware -- My HD DVD of La Mome (La Vie En Rose) still doesn't work. Symptoms are the same as before.

The flickering menu in Gone Baby Gone is fixed though.
post #235 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Dickydoo.

I'll update the first post. I suspect that issue won't be fixed any time soon, unless it's a fluke. It's not a popular title and is only released by a French studio, not a big international studio.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the April Firmware: What's the verdict on the USA Sunshine BD? Does it generally work for most or generally not work?

I see the Samsung BD-UP5000 has an issue with it, what about the LG BH200?
post #236 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:

Any luck with DVE:HD Basics and the April firmware? Before I add it to any list.

Navigation issues remain with the new firmware (BH02080402F). Not too surprising I guess. This firmware is dated April 2nd, and DVE:HD Basics was only released March 25th. Not too likely that LG would discover the problem, and fix it in that time frame. Oh well. Next firmware update...hopefully.

I'm curious whether the BD version works any better in the BH200. Anyone purchase that one?
post #237 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:

Is that a Canadian HD-DVD? Has anyone else come across TrueHD not working at all? So far I know of:

* Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone HD-DVD
* Happy Feet HD-DVD

Are there any others? It's weird how the BH200 has much more troubles generally speaking with HD-DVDs than BDs. At least in the case of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone you can get TrueHD by setting it to on-board decode.

I never did understand why it was renamed in America, as if a Philosopher is such a rare word. A Philosopher isn't even the same thing as a Sorcerer

bradavon, my apologies for the delayed reply, but yes, it is the Canadian HD DVD. Additionally, the second in the series ('Chamber of Secrets') is also exhibiting the same issue. I can't speak to 'Goblet of Fire' as I decided to pick up the Blu version (which comes with 7.1 LPCM and works perfectly), but 'Prisoner of Azkaban' and 'Order of the Phoenix' (the third and fifth, respectively) work perfectly for HD DVD.

To sum up, audio for the following HD DVDs won't work at all, when TrueHD (bitstream) is selected, although DD+ (onboard & bitstream) and TrueHD (onboard) both work as they should:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

All five of the HP movies I own are the Canadian version, although I would imagine the same issues are found with the US version, as other than the added french language track, it's all the exact same.
post #238 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Oilblue.

Thanks guste. No worries.

Actually the Canadian disc could be different to the USA Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone disc. Given that it would have to have different menus and opening credits. Although the TrueHD tracks are likely to be the same.
post #239 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 84
ENEMY AT THE GATES (STALINGRAD) still does not work, but nice to see the SC titles working as reported
post #240 of 1091 Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page