LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion! - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2731 of 2871 Old 09-20-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu666 View Post

Can someone please upload the 0702 driver cant find it anywhere.

Oh yeah. Please PM next time and I'll re-upload it. Which I've just done. It can also be downloaded via Ethernet, as described in the first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2871 Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I must say that with the newest firmware, I've had no issues with any Region 1 discs I've thrown at it.
post #2733 of 2871 Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone had any experience with a BH200 no longer playing DVDs? My parents seem to be having this problem with their unit-- DVDs (at least two recent Disney dvds) hang on load, requiring a hard restart. I have a BH200 as well; no problems here, but I don't have access to the same DVDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 2871 Old 10-11-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrykewy View Post

Has anyone had any experience with a BH200 no longer playing DVDs? My parents seem to be having this problem with their unit-- DVDs (at least two recent Disney dvds) hang on load, requiring a hard restart. I have a BH200 as well; no problems here, but I don't have access to the same DVDs.

Does one of the movies happen to be The Lion King new 2011 DVD release? The reason I ask is that the Samsung BD-UP5000 is having problems with recent disney DVDs. Several in the last year are rejected with a generic error you get like when you try to feed it a non-region 1 or PAL disc. However The Lion King is a different story. Running the latest release and an older that has been good to play recent Disney BDs that get stuck the discs do exactly what you describe. The disc loads up, but never makes it to the menu and locks up the player requiring a power reset (not a hard reboot in the case of the UP5000). So far I have ran into many that are rejected but only The Lion King that locks up the player. Note that I have 2 players, one running the older Disney stable code and one running the new, so it is not the player/loader and a common DVD firmware related issue. It's also not the disc since it plays in my older Samsung DVD only player. There is a possibility that at some point in the recent past Disney started using some more sneaky stuff to try to thwart copying and it's tripping up these players. It's odd to run into these type of issues with good old fashioned DVDs, but my sons Tosh TV with a built in DVD player will not play any of the Lost DVDs (also Disney-ABC Studios). I had to make him "backups" so he could play them at one point. I don't currently have the Lost DVDs on hand (have the BD set now) so I can't see if the Sammy has a similar issue with those.

I am interested in what DVDs you are having issues with, there is a good chance I have them in a combo pack and I can try them in my BH200 over the weekend when I will be back home to test this. I haven't kept up on ALL of the recent Disney releases in combo packs, but I have the majority of the back catalog ones. I'm only missing Bambi II at this point as far as those and the only recent release I have is Gnomeo and Juliet, but I don't think I have tried the DVD, if there even is one in the used BD I bought. It will be interesting to see if there is a common trend here.

And no I have not nor do I recall anyone having DVD specific issues with the BH200 and that wasn't the case with the UP500 until the past year or so that the latest firmware has been out. Now it is pretty common on my main player which is the UP5000.
post #2735 of 2871 Old 10-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

It could be something else, but this sounds like it would be a drive error to me. They should load a few more dvds into the player to get a sense of it, and of course check to make sure the discs themselves don't have any problems. I had a player last year that stopped reading both DVDs and HD DVDs, but continued to play Blu-rays without any problems. I tend to think that there are 2 lasers, and the HD / DVDs use one, while the other is blu. I won't say it's definitely a drive issue, but it seems that way to me since I can't think of a single DVD issue on any of my other players.

Maybe a drive cleaner would make a difference...
post #2736 of 2871 Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 AM

Thanks to both of you.

1. Yes, one of the DVDs is the new Lion King release. The other is Dumbo (2011). I have asked them to try random older DVDs... Will report back.

2. If this is a drive error, is it reparable?
post #2737 of 2871 Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks to both of you.

1. Yes, one of the DVDs is the new Lion King release. The other is Dumbo (2011). I have asked them to try random older DVDs... Will report back.

Dumbo is another recent one that is rejected by the Samsung. It does not lock the player like TLK does, but is probably the issue. I think that Disney has been messing with DVDs again causing some players to have issues. I need to check Google and other forums/threads to confirm that. Other DVDs I have tried that have issues are The Sorcerers Apprentice, Old Dogs, Disney's A Christmas Carol and just the Fox and the Hound but the FaTH II plays fine. I rarely if ever play a DVD that I have the BD of (at least in my HDPs) and someone complained one day about Old Dogs so I borrowed it from the library and tested it then tried some others and discovered this new problem that has come up within that last year. It has only been recently that I have been buying combo packs that include a DVD from Disney so there could be some older with the issue. Also I have a ton of combo packs now that I have not tried the DVD. Note that Old Dogs came out in March of '10 so there could be more going back even further.

Anyhow, I haven't tried TLK and Dumbo in the LG, but will when I return home. My BH200 is in the bedroom and rarely if ever gets used, which is a good thing since I want to keep it alive as long as possible as a backup to my other 3 backups and spare parts for the Sammy so I can continue to play my vast HD collection.

It could still be a loader (drive) problem, but I doubt it since I know something new is happening with newer Disney DVDs and I don't believe in coincidences. Oh and I assume that LG still has parts and can repair these, have no idea how much it costs, but most manufactures have a standard $80-$100 or so flat fee for diagnosis and repair/replacement for out of warranty players. I doubt anyone would still have one under the LG warranty, unless they were lucky and found one at a retailer within the last year or happened to get a long extended warranty.
post #2738 of 2871 Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just picked up the LG BH200 and have it connected HDMI to a Pioneer Elite SC-09TX Receiver. Everything works great, except when I'm attempting to play any HD-DVD with Dolby Digital Plus, it sends PCM 192kHz Stereo to my receiver not DD+. I have the LG set to bitstream the audio, but it creates a motorboat noise to my speakers. It's only on Dolby Digital Plus, not on any other audio format. I read through a noticed others were having the same issue. Do any of you know how to fix this issue?
post #2739 of 2871 Old 10-12-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglebob View Post

I just picked up the LG BH200 and have it connected HDMI to a Pioneer Elite SC-09TX Receiver. Everything works great, except when I'm attempting to play any HD-DVD with Dolby Digital Plus, it sends PCM 192kHz Stereo to my receiver not DD+. I have the LG set to bitstream the audio, but it creates a motorboat noise to my speakers. It's only on Dolby Digital Plus, not on any other audio format. I read through a noticed others were having the same issue. Do any of you know how to fix this issue?

It is solved with either a firmware update on the BH200 or on your AVR. Have you verified that you are running the latest firmware and driver on the BH200? You may also require latest firmware on your AVR, but I don't know much about Pio AVRs. Are you running the latest code there as well? I know that updates for audio issues are being widely discussed in relation to Star Wars since many folks are running into audio drops and DTS bombs if they are not at the latest code and some AVRs (Onkyo and Sony) are still waiting for updates though those issues are related to DTS-HD MA, but there may be one that addresses DD+. I'm just giving you some ideas to try, it has to be either one or the other or both that need to be updated. Could also be a simple incompatibility with the combo of your AVR and the BH200. In the meantime you can change your audio to either PCM or DTS re-encode before playing a DD+ HD-DVD and the problem should go away and the player will decode the audio for you. Either option would yield the same fidelity since DD+ is essentially a Dolby flavor of core DTS (same capabilities and max. bitrate). It all depends on what you want your AVR to display (DTS or PCM). If it were me I would set it to PCM, unless your AVR has trouble with it, which it should not if it is capable of HD audio bitstream, even if it is PCM only it should work and there should be PCM downsampiling options in the menu of the BH200 if you can't take the full feed.
post #2740 of 2871 Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks to both of you.

I tried tLK and Dumbo in my BH200 along with both The Fox and the Hound and tFaTH II. tLK and Dumbo locked the player as you describe. Player displaying loading and never getting to the menu. However both the Fox/Hound DVDs loaded up and played fine. All of those DVDs are rejected with a TV system error (PAL/non-region 1) error on the Sammy combo (except for tFatH II and tLK locks it up). Seems to be a common thread here. I did not try any of the other problematic Disney DVDs in the BH, just enough to verify your troubles and make sure my player was dealing with DVDs properly.

This reminds me that I have not tried many of the recent Disney BDs and DVDs in this player, but I assume most are ok? Should have tried Lion King BD while I was doing this, but had other things to do.

Is LG still issuing firmware for this puppy. They like Samsung will need to do something to address this. Plain old DVDs should always play, no excuses.
post #2741 of 2871 Old 10-16-2011, 07:48 PM

I don't own Dumbo, but I just put The Lion King DVD in my BH200, and although it loaded slowly, it is playing now. The Blu definitely loaded faster, but the DVD also worked.

Driver version 0702 and firmware BH02100330A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

I tried tLK and Dumbo in my BH200 along with both The Fox and the Hound and tFaTH II. tLK and Dumbo locked the player as you describe. Player displaying loading and never getting to the menu. However both the Fox/Hound DVDs loaded up and played fine. All of those DVDs are rejected with a TV system error (PAL/non-region 1) error on the Sammy combo (except for tFatH II and tLK locks it up). Seems to be a common thread here. I did not try any of the other problematic Disney DVDs in the BH, just enough to verify your troubles and make sure my player was dealing with DVDs properly.

This reminds me that I have not tried many of the recent Disney BDs and DVDs in this player, but I assume most are ok? Should have tried Lion King BD while I was doing this, but had other things to do.

Is LG still issuing firmware for this puppy. They like Samsung will need to do something to address this. Plain old DVDs should always play, no excuses.

post #2742 of 2871 Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

I don't own Dumbo, but I just put The Lion King DVD in my BH200, and although it loaded slowly, it is playing now. The Blu definitely loaded faster, but the DVD also worked.

Driver version 0702 and firmware BH02100330A

How slowly did it load. I admit I did not let it go long since DVDs always load up pretty quick in this thing. I will try again and let it sit for some time. My driver and firmware is at the latest level also and any DVD I stick in it plays other than the newer Disney ones. Also are you connected to the Internet, I did not try to disconnect, but that has never been an issue with DVDs. I also don't currently have a memory stick to run BD live with plugged in, but again that is also not a factor with DVD.
post #2743 of 2871 Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 PM

I just ran it 4 times, and it's around 80 to 90 seconds each time if I load it from the power being on (70 from the end of "Please Wait" if in the drive at power up) . Internet is not plugged in, nor is a memory card.

It's a bit too late to hook up the ethernet cable to test it that way, but could try that tomorrow.

There's one other possibility if your copy doesn't play - I imported the last few replacement drives from China last year from their eBay equivalent, and maybe these read differently. The main player has one of those, so I can test it on a BH200 with the original drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post

How slowly did it load. I admit I did not let it go long since DVDs always load up pretty quick in this thing. I will try again and let it sit for some time. My driver and firmware is at the latest level also and any DVD I stick in it plays other than the newer Disney ones. Also are you connected to the Internet, I did not try to disconnect, but that has never been an issue with DVDs. I also don't currently have a memory stick to run BD live with plugged in, but again that is also not a factor with DVD.

post #2744 of 2871 Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I just ran it 4 times, and it's around 80 to 90 seconds each time if I load it from the power being on (70 from the end of "Please Wait" if in the drive at power up) . Internet is not plugged in, nor is a memory card.

It's a bit too late to hook up the ethernet cable to test it that way, but could try that tomorrow.

There's one other possibility if your copy doesn't play - I imported the last few replacement drives from China last year from their eBay equivalent, and maybe these read differently. The main player has one of those, so I can test it on a BH200 with the original drive.

I was able to get it to load, I just wasn't waiting long enough. I didn't time it, but is seemed in the 90 sec - 2 min. range and way longer than I am ever used to waiting for a DVD. Dumbo also loads, but it takes more like 4-5 min. to load. Now I need to retry tLK DVD in the Sammy since it might not actually be locking it up and I was just not waiting long enough. So apparently the junk Disney is putting in these newer DVDs is affecting different players in different ways. With the Sammy is just thinks that many of them are defective and rejects them or for some strange reason it is detecting PAL and/or non-region 1 coding and spitting it out.
post #2745 of 2871 Old 10-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Would anybody be able to upload a copy of the January 2008 firmware for me to download, or post a link to where it may currently be at? I found a couple links, but they all have more recent firmware versions. It is firmware BH02080124R. Thanks so much in advance!
post #2746 of 2871 Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

OK, without having to sort through all 2700+ posts, can someone tell me which firmware is generally considered to have the least amount of HDDVD playback bugs? What about standard DVD bugs?

I plan to only use my BH200 for HDDVD and SDDVD from here out, so I'd like to rollback the firmware to get the least amount of bugs. My remaining Red collection is all mainstream movies, mostly from Universal (I traded most of my Warner titles in the Red2Blu). No import titles or adult stuff.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
post #2747 of 2871 Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I assume "BH02100330A (2010-03-30)" is still the latest firmware version? Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants it, here is a copy of firmware "BH02080402F (2008-04-02)". To try and prevent things getting overly complicated for newbies, I am not going to put this in the Mini-FAQ itself (first post) though!

Click here: http://sdrv.ms/LG_BH200_Firmware_BH02080402F

This was the first official firmware to add PCM and TrueHD outputted as DTS using DTS Re-Encode, 1080p24 (Film Mode) and Profile 1.1 support. BD-Live support (aka Profile 2.0) came with firmware "BH02090630A (2009-06-30)".

Some users have reported issues since using BD-Live enabled firmware. Before trying "BH02080402F (2008-04-02)", you'll want to try "BH02090304A (2009-03-04)", "BH02081205A (2008-12-05)" and "BH02080620A (2008-06-20)" first. Your first port of call should be the LG Service Sites (see "Where do I find older Firmware?" in the Mini-FAQ itself).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also deleted some messages from my AVS Inbox, so if anyone wants to PM me, they'll be able to again.

I don't check this forum much any more, so please PM me if any of the links expire or new versions get released. I'm still happy to keep the first post of this thread up to date.
post #2748 of 2871 Old 11-26-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Would anybody be able to upload a copy of the January 2008 firmware for me to download, or post a link to where it may currently be at? I found a couple links, but they all have more recent firmware versions. It is firmware BH02080124R. Thanks so much in advance!

Hi. I believe you tried to PM me (Inbox now able to accept PMs again), I don't have it I'm afraid. Why do you want such an old firmware?

The April 2008 (BH02080402F) has also proven to be stable but also adds lots functionality missing from the January 2008 firmware, see my post above for more details.

Have you tried the various LG Service Sites?

EDIT: I've checked the USA Service Site and it's only now got: December 2008 (BH02081205A), June 2009 (BH02090630A) and the latest March 2010 (BH02100330A) firmware files. The Canadian Service Site only has the March 2010 (BH02100330A) firmware. There "appears" to be no reference to the BH200 at all on the UK, Belgium or Switzerland Service Sites any more (it was released in Belgium and Switzerland too).

* LG are incorrectly listing the BH02100330A (BH02100330A) firmware as BH02100401A. If you extrapolate back the 1st of April 2010 is not the firmware version number inside the file itself. I've just downloaded/checked it and it's the same March 2010 (BH02100330A) firmware.

Maybe try Googling "BH02080124R"?

This link purports to have BH02080124R: http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index....44&v_langue=en

I can confirm the link works, have opened the firmware and the version number in the file is actually BH02081205A (December 2008) . Sorry I tried.
post #2749 of 2871 Old 11-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglebob View Post

Unfortunately there is no fix yet. It's in Pioneer's court and they're not willing to serve!
post #2750 of 2871 Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Bradavon, Thanks for putting up that April 2008 firmware. I had most of the newer ones except that one. I loaded it back on last night and was happy to see AVCHD capability come back

BTW, I now have all the non-beta firmwares on my home PC from April 2008 thru the March 2010. So, if anyone needs one of them, just PM me and I'll upload them and post a link.

post #2751 of 2871 Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Yep, that was me who tried to PM!

That firmware seems to be the only one that will play the menus properly of certain HD DVD seasons (UK Releases) such Robin Hood. I've had to pull out the HD DVD player in order to get that to play, and is honestly a bit of a pain in the butt.

I had tried all the various LG sites, the same google searches you mentioned (and more - I tried every variable imaginable), searched just by file name (LG_BH_LV221BH.rom) and tried to find it by file size, found the same touslesdriver site and found it wasn't the proper file. I even found a French site homecinema-fr.com that has an LG BH200 thread with another request and an actual upload for the Jan firmware a year ago (link is dead), signed up for a user name, used google translate to ask in French for it to be uploaded... and after 2 weeks, they deleted my user name and question!!! I think I've tried every mean possible...!

Anyway, if anybody has the January 2008, or if somebody knows of another version that plays the menus of those UK releases properly, I'd appreciate it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Hi. I believe you tried to PM me (Inbox now able to accept PMs again), I don't have it I'm afraid. Why do you want such an old firmware?

The April 2008 (BH02080402F) has also proven to be stable but also adds lots functionality missing from the January 2008 firmware, see my post above for more details.

Have you tried the various LG Service Sites?

EDIT: I've checked the USA Service Site and it's only now got: December 2008 (BH02081205A), June 2009 (BH02090630A) and the latest March 2010 (BH02100330A) firmware files. The Canadian Service Site only has the March 2010 (BH02100330A) firmware. There "appears" to be no reference to the BH200 at all on the UK, Belgium or Switzerland Service Sites any more (it was released in Belgium and Switzerland too).

* LG are incorrectly listing the BH02100330A (BH02100330A) firmware as BH02100401A. If you extrapolate back the 1st of April 2010 is not the firmware version number inside the file itself. I've just downloaded/checked it and it's the same March 2010 (BH02100330A) firmware.

Maybe try Googling "BH02080124R"?

This link purports to have BH02080124R: http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index....44&v_langue=en

I can confirm the link works, have opened the firmware and the version number in the file is actually BH02081205A (December 2008) . Sorry I tried.

post #2752 of 2871 Old 11-30-2011, 10:07 AM

My player works great except on WB an NLC movies!
post #2753 of 2871 Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidniki100 View Post

Can we post for sales on here? I have a BH200 in perfect working order that I want to sell, maybe for 140 shipped?

No. It will get you a warning from the mods if they see it. Reason: this forum has a sales classifieds area (not free however).

I'd go back and edit your post.

post #2754 of 2871 Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

Bradavon, Thanks for putting up that April 2008 firmware. I had most of the newer ones except that one. I loaded it back on last night and was happy to see AVCHD capability come back

No problem. I wonder why that was removed. I believe you can make them work with newer firmware. I've never tried it or AVCHD myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post

BTW, I now have all the non-beta firmwares on my home PC from April 2008 thru the March 2010. So, if anyone needs one of them, just PM me and I'll upload them and post a link.

I've only kept the April 2008 and March 2010 obviously firmware. The ones before/in between I've never had any use for any more. March 2010 is stable (in my experience) and for the issues later firmware introduced, the April 2008 is good.

I did think about linking to all the firmware downloads but decided it would overly complicate the Mini-FAQ (which I should probably rename to "Tech-FAQ) and would mean I'd only have to make sure all the links don't expire, managing just the one firmware link is manageable but lots wouldn't be.

I'll include a link to your post in the Mini-FAQ though, so if others need any missing firmware, they can PM you. Thanks btw.

EDIT: Done. I've added a link to your post above.

Quote:

That firmware seems to be the only one that will play the menus properly of certain HD DVD seasons (UK Releases) such Robin Hood. I've had to pull out the HD DVD player in order to get that to play, and is honestly a bit of a pain in the butt.

I remember that release causing all manner of problems. It definitely doesn't work with the April 2008 firmware? I could believe that, like I said that release was troublesome.
post #2755 of 2871 Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Licensing was the reason why it was removed (along with BD-R/RE). LG apparently didn't want to pay for the licensing, after all, they were never listed features on the BH200 anyway.

Other than loosing AVCHD and BD-R capability, I remember the June 2008 being very stable. Hard to remember exactly what fixes were in each release without going through this entire thread along with the firmware watch thread. I'll probably stick with the Apr-08 unless I find a problem going through my discs.

post #2756 of 2871 Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 AM
apb

I just upgraded my prepro so I can use hi def audio. I have loaded the 702 driver and March 2010 firmware.

I can't get the LG to output 96k for the movie but the prepro NAD T175 HD does receive 96k on the DTS intro but not the movie it self.

I have tried all the settings for output and have the sample frequency set to 96k.

Any help would be appreciated.
post #2757 of 2871 Old 12-11-2011, 06:33 PM
apb

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb View Post

I just upgraded my prepro so I can use hi def audio. I have loaded the 702 driver and March 2010 firmware.

I can't get the LG to output 96k for the movie but the prepro NAD T175 HD does receive 96k on the DTS intro but not the movie it self.

I have tried all the settings for output and have the sample frequency set to 96k.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am somewhat embarrassed to answer my own question. I somehow got the impression that all the lossless codecs were sampled at 96k but I find after a little research very few take advantage of that optional rate and things are working as they should.
post #2758 of 2871 Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 19
Can someone confirm that this player does indeed convert 1080i50 > 1080i60 and whether it requires a hack or just a menu setting?

I want to order F1 2011 season review, it's region free but 1080i50 so my TV needs 1080i60.
post #2759 of 2871 Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Can someone confirm that this player does indeed convert 1080i50 > 1080i60 and whether it requires a hack or just a menu setting?

I want to order F1 2011 season review, it's region free but 1080i50 so my TV needs 1080i60.

I recall that it played my Torchwood HD DVD.
post #2760 of 2871 Old 12-30-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 19
Got a good deal on a BD-P2550, $35 in excellent condition. Couple mixed opinions on the 200 and the person not answering their ad have prevented me from getting the 200.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page