Now that the new firmware is out... should i return my LG for the Sammy? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness View Post

Yes but that doesnt tell me much... because the bh200 is the fastest player i have seen so far. It takes like 10 seconds boot up and like 8 seconds to read disc. Is the UP5000 close?

Im seriously thinking about returning the bh200 and getting it now. Not only does it have analog outs, everyone seems to agree its reon processing is better, the only hang-ups ive seen are theres no usb port, not "hackable" whatever that means, and that lg bh200 might go profile 2.0 but i have doubts...

FWIW, I have both and find myself using the UP5000 because it *seems* faster *to me.* I noticed it immediately (and wasn't even looking for it) and was pleasantly surprised. No, I have not taken a stop watch to them yet because I would've been happy with the BH200 speed too, the faster UP5000 is just a bonus .

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 08:10 AM

That's the thing with comparisons. You have to compare facts to facts. "it seems" just doesn't work well because the results are different for different people.

To me, it "seems" the REON chip does better upscaling, because QDEO "seems" to offer softer edges. But you really have to compare it yourself side by side the two players to see what you like.

Hard facts would be both offers same high-def audio, BH200 is region hackable etc. and UP5000 has analog outs.
post #63 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

He was only interested in which one was faster, everything else was a wash for him.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Madness View Post

I just bought bh200 the day before the samsung update came out... I got the lg open box for 369.99 and i can get the samsung new for 379.99 Is it worth it to return the lg and get the sammy now that the audio is brought up to the bh200 standards?

for that price i would stick with the LG. i had to pay $650 for mine but i got it during the HD and blu ray war thing and at that time the player was like $1000 at best buy so i guess i did ok to. but what pissed me off was that after i bought it 2 months later by by HD and now they are only $399 new at stores or cheaper online i guess.

but ive read some store reviews about the sammy and it has some issues playing HD discs sometimes not as bad as the LGBH100 model but the sammy doesnt read them as good as the LG200 does. most people want the sammy one more cause it came out after the LG and it has that video card for upconverting. samsung has always beeen a better brand i admit but i think the LG BH200 is by far the best product LG has made even better than the UP500 player

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #65 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

but ive read some store reviews about the sammy and it has some issues playing HD discs sometimes not as bad as the LGBH100 model but the sammy doesnt read them as good as the LG200 does.

Sounds circumstantial to me. For one, the BH200 doesn't even have as many store reviews as the 5000.
post #66 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to keep the LG. It gave me no trouble so far, my dvd's look better than ive ever seen them, my hd-dvds look great, so i stuck with the LG. Theres always hope now that LG might make the player profile 2.0 compliant...
post #67 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Glad that's over and done.

/thread
post #68 of 69 Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6523 Post(s)
Liked: 6238
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sounds circumstantial to me. For one, the BH200 doesn't even have as many store reviews as the 5000.

Amen....You also have to remember that many of the reviews for the Sammy were before any firmware was released....

I for one have had 1 problem disc as far as HD DVD goes, and that wasnt even a major glitch......

To the OP glad to see tht you stuck to your guns, both players are great for the needs that they fit...
post #69 of 69 Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

yah i always do this though... whenever i make a semi-huge electronics purchase i always second guess myself saying things like maybe if i spent the extra hundred for th better one or maybe this has this and that. The truth was that the LG worked perfect so far, no problems running any of my 40 or so hd-dvds, my DVD's looked superb. Way better than what I had previously seen, I never knew upscaled could look so good.

Now all i need to get is a new receiver. I have it connected to a circa 2003 HTiB and i always get this weird sound every time i skip a chapter, not to mention i have yet to experience lossless or what TrueHD really is. One question though, because people here are really helpful, the new HtiB's say they are rear-wireless, 1200 watts etc... so how can a new receiver that is only say 500 watts or so be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page