BH200 firmware watch... - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 2794 Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I cannot see the BH200 ever doing on-board DTS-HD. I also reckon the April firmware was the last big firmware upgrade.

I hope not. With LG releasing the new Blueray player and Netflix support, I'd hope they'd release a firmware update for this player to support Netflix streaming. That'd be awesome if they did.

I've skimmed through this thread, but was still unclear on where we stood with the current firmware. Is it 2.0 now or are we still waiting on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2794 Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I cannot see LG spending money/time to add Netflix on a product they're discontinuing. There's also a chance the BH200 doesn't have the hardware needed. The streaming could be software but it could be hardware based.

There's more chance of Profile 2.0 though. It's Profile 1.1, alas still no Profile 2.0.
post #153 of 2794 Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so what is the consensus on the June firmware upgrade, does it do anything useful? also, is it borking some features that were working before? of course i'd like profile 2.0 compatibility, but i don't want to ruin my 1.1 features i have, plus any additional audio dropouts are not welcome. opinions would be appreciated before i decide whether or not to apply the new firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 2794 Old 08-16-2008, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No it doesn't do much but it's still the latest firmware and the one supported by LG. The Change Log just says:

* Improvement of performance
* New firmware will update the DVD audio signal output error

What that means who knows but it must mean something. You can always downgrade back to your current firmware if you so wish.
post #155 of 2794 Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I think the Netflix streaming requires a harddrive. Unless we attached a USB hard drive to the BH200, I'm not sure it's technically possible to do the Netflix streaming. (Besides, we all know how the BH200 "upconverts" 4:3 pan and scan!)

LG seems to be going for these even #'d months lately--April, June... It's now August.

I can hope for profile 2.0, DTS-HD HR/MA internal decoding, and a fix for the 4:3 upscaling all in one update. (Think positively!)
post #156 of 2794 Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I cannot see DTS-HD Internal decoding coming or a fix for the 4:3 issue. The latter LG don't think needs fixing.

The BD300 will not have a hard disk and will only stream.
post #157 of 2794 Old 08-20-2008, 11:06 AM

I am a newbie here so forgive me if I rehash old shtuff. I just connected my bh-200 and played my first movie in Blue Ray----- Mr. Brooks. I thought it was my system when the movie from the very beginning started dropping out. The sound remained but the picture would sometimes freeze and disappear or just disappear. I will be trying some more movies over this next weekend but if this player gives me fits I will return it and just get a dedicated blue ray player. Incidentally I do have the ps3 should I consider using it as the stand alone?

My equipment is sony vp-60, 108" dalite,sunfire tgV, sunfire sig amp 425wpc X 5, Direct Tv, all on HDMI cabling. I know I am not supposed to list my equipment in my sig so I hope its ok to list it here so that there is a baseline for the equipment type and the blu ray issues.

edit: As the movie progressed the drop outs decreased and were gone during the last 1/2 hour of the movie. Totally unacceptable but I don't understand the lack of consistancy in the drop outs.????
post #158 of 2794 Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I think the Netflix streaming requires a harddrive. Unless we attached a USB hard drive to the BH200, I'm not sure it's technically possible to do the Netflix streaming. (Besides, we all know how the BH200 "upconverts" 4:3 pan and scan!)

Actually, the Roku Netflix Player doesn't have a hard drive - it has only enough storage to buffer a few minutes worth of video. There may be other requirements that prevent the BH200 from having this capability though.
post #159 of 2794 Old 08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
We SERIOUSLY need a firmware update!

Got the dreaded "motorboating" on DD+ bitstreaming to my Marantz AV8003.

Deal killer for me on this player, as I need it to bitstream all codecs...

BUMMER!
post #160 of 2794 Old 09-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Any news on an upcoming firmware update?
The last update was in June, so come on, LG!!!
post #161 of 2794 Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
hey guys, check out this thread and send LG support an email with the updates you would like to see. This will increase the likely hood we will see anything happen at all.

While your at it, please add BD-Live to your lists
post #162 of 2794 Old 10-03-2008, 01:41 PM

Just got this from LG:

Firmware update 2.0 BD Friday, October 3, 2008 2:29 PM

I just found out that we are not currently looking at upgrading to BD 2.0. The BD300 came out yesterday and it has 2.0 in it.
post #163 of 2794 Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 AM
T2k

Unless you have explicit authorization from its owner to post it on a public online forum delete the name and address from your post, please.

Thanks for the head-up though.
post #164 of 2794 Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleybradt View Post

Just got this from LG:

Firmware update 2.0 BD Friday, October 3, 2008 2:29 PM

I just found out that we are not currently looking at upgrading to BD 2.0. The BD300 came out yesterday and it has 2.0 in it.

Well, with all due respect to the nice lady, does she expect BH-200 owners to trot out and buy another Player to get BD-Live support? Yes, I get that there will be NEW customers that can not buy the BH-200, and when they buy the BD-300 they get BD-Live support.

I suggest a reply to the nice lady saying that thanks for the response, but how does that help BH-200 owners?
post #165 of 2794 Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr123 View Post

It´s a step backwards on playing BD-R and BD-RE (authored with TSMuxer). With april firmware they played flawlessly, with june firmware player only says "Data Disc" and does not play back the movie...

Has this been fixed? I can't get mine to play

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #166 of 2794 Old 10-24-2008, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Has this been fixed? I can't get mine to play

It appears they may have deliberately crippled the player to not play these or AVCHD or BD-5/9 discs.
post #167 of 2794 Old 10-25-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

It appears they may have deliberately crippled the player to not play these or AVCHD or BD-5/9 discs.

I'm talking about BD-R discs...25gb. Those as well. Why would they do that?

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #168 of 2794 Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Oh dear, just received another silly reply as follows from our favorite email administrator at LG in relation to problem discs on the BH200. Has anyone seen this so called August firmware?

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

We released a firmware on August, and we haven’t heard any issues with the Madagascar movie.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 or 201-816-2000 at your convenience."
post #169 of 2794 Old 10-25-2008, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, the fabled August firmware.

This isn't the first time they've referred to it.

Samsungmaster, any ideas?

Did LG do an August firmware update and forget to release it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spong View Post

Oh dear, just received another silly reply as follows from our favorite email administrator at LG in relation to problem discs on the BH200. Has anyone seen this so called August firmware?

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

We released a firmware on August, and we haven't heard any issues with the Madagascar movie.

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again either via email, or by calling our customer service division at 800-243-0000 or 201-816-2000 at your convenience."

post #170 of 2794 Old 10-25-2008, 04:55 PM

I just called LG customer service for DVD players and our LG BH200. They said no firmware is in the works even though I told her that BOTH of my weekly Netflix BR discs would not play again. I own a Panny BR BD30 $239.00) and it plays every disc I have! (it also sends at bitsream to my SR 606 which has no audio problems so far.) The two BR discs this week are: China Revealed, and Brazil Revealed from Discovery Atlas. I have the June firmware and have never seen the fabled August firmware, the techniciam also did not know about it.
My plan: I have just written snail mail to customer service giving them the above information and requesting that their engineer visit the "....discs that won't play" thread and do something to help us as the name of LG is becoming synonomous with poor after market support. Imagine if they got a 1000 letters like that. It is worth the stamp. The address is:LG Electronics, Att.Customer servioce, P.O. Box240007, Huntsville Al, 35813-6407. Please consider writing. Paper talks more than e-mails, as a huge stack of letters, each pointing out different discs that won't play, could not be ignored. We can also "cc" the president of LH!
Barry.

Barry
post #171 of 2794 Old 10-25-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat View Post

Ah yes, the fabled August firmware.

This isn't the first time they've referred to it.

Samsungmaster, any ideas?

Did LG do an August firmware update and forget to release it?

I think you will get a different answer every time you call just depends on which CS person you get. Either way I do know the engineers have been made aware of problem discs and other issues.

Life is Good
post #172 of 2794 Old 10-25-2008, 09:29 PM

the question is are they going to do anything about it?
post #173 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot94 View Post

the question is are they going to do anything about it?

As far as profile 2.0 they are discussing it.

Life is Good
post #174 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm talking about BD-R discs...25gb. Those as well. Why would they do that?

I found & posted a link somewhere around here to an article which describes that some-or-all mfrs were supposed to cripple/kill the ability of BD players to play BD movies from recordable media. Yes, that's right, in effect relegating BD-R/5/9 movies to the dustbin, and limiting them to data-only.

I'll try to find that link again...

EDIT: Here ya go. Not an article, but a post here in an "Insiders" thread.

This member, paidgeek, was very active for a while last year, and sounded quite authoritative, then disappeared. Maybe mfrs are just now getting around to disabling this capability!!!??!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blurray
I find the thought of blocking playback from BD-R on commercial devices to be chilling. Do any insiders have any feedback on this issue? If this is being done for copy-protection reasons, might not a similar step be taken to block playback of commercial BD discs on PCs in profile 1.1? It seems this might help prevent the content from being illegally copied in the first place, reminiscent of Sony's strategy with SACD.

Originally Posted by paidgeek
Blu-ray players were never supposed to support BDMV authored content using ordinary data type BD-R or BD-RE media. An exemption was made for a number of months so that available blank discs could be used for testing and other promotional activities; this exemption expired recently.

Consumers will be able to record their own authored movies using recordable media designed for this purpose (as specified by AACS). This media is designed to stop copies of copies of copyrighted material, something we can't prevent right now with the current media and drives.

Rest assured that Apple and other companies have been very vocal in the BDA to insure that consumers will have the ability to take full advantage of the movie specifications to make full featured discs if they so desire.

post #175 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

So...we better not give up then.
post #176 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I found & posted a link somewhere around here to an article which describes that some-or-all mfrs were supposed to cripple/kill the ability of BD players to play BD movies from recordable media. Yes, that's right, in effect relegating BD-R/5/9 movies to the dustbin, and limiting them to data-only.

I'll try to find that link again...

EDIT: Here ya go. Not an article, but a post here in an "Insiders" thread.

This member, paidgeek, was very active for a while last year, and sounded quite authoritative, then disappeared. Maybe mfrs are just now getting around to disabling this capability!!!??!!!

So wait...i'm confused. What will happen when blu-ray burners come out?!? They're not going to allow us to use BD-R's? This doesn't make any sense. How does the machine know if what's on the disc is copy-protected or not?

post #177 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Below is a copy of the letter I have mailed to LG. I sent it both to the executive offices and customer service. I adjusted the title (changed "president" to "customer service") and a few facts for the second letter, but the template remained the same. I made the letter long and "folksy" as I don't want to appear like a techie with special needs. Both addresses are listed above. Please consider copying and pasting my letter below, make a few changes, and mail off two letters, Thanks,'
Barry.

October 24, 2008

TO The President of LG: Please help?

I am a sad owner of the LG BH200 dual DVD player. I purchased this unit because of its wonderful features but also I wanted but one high definition DVD player, not two in my home theater rack. Although this all came true, I am terribly disappointed with my purchase.

Simply put, my LG BH 200 refuses to play far too many high def discs that I put into the drawer. I have successfully installed the June firmware update, but still so many discs don’t play, or have problems playing, that it is very upsetting. I know it is the player, not a defective disc, because I own a Panasonic Blu-Ray BD30, and a Toshiba HDA2, (each under $300.00) and all the discs play perfectly in those machines. (Please be aware that the LG BH200 cost more than the total of both these players)

I am aware that there is a long list of discs the BH 200 will not play: the list is on-line at the AVScience Forum, where there is a thread on that topic. People are upset, and the reputation of LG as an aftermarket service company is suffering greatly. Please visit this site and see if there is a possibility that you will be able to make a firmware update that will allow us to play most of these discs well. The place with the list of troublesome discs can be found at this URL: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1002769. Please consider a visit.

Each week two BR discs arrive from Netflix. They play fine in the Panny and Toshiba, but not on my LG! This week, “Discovery Atlas: China Revealed”, and “Discovery Atlas: Brazil Revealed” were the BR discs that would not play in the LG, but of course play in the others. I have not kept a list of the movies that wouldn’t play, but several were HD DVD and others were Blu-Ray NOT from Netflix.

Thank you for considering our situation. Any indication that you are working on the problem will raise our spirits. You see, the BH200 is the expensive deck and is used in my Home Theater, while the smaller less expensive ones are just plugged into TVs.
Thank you,

signed: your real name and address.

Barry
post #178 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So wait...i'm confused. What will happen when blu-ray burners come out?!? They're not going to allow us to use BD-R's? This doesn't make any sense. How does the machine know if what's on the disc is copy-protected or not?

Once again, what was stated by paidgeek was "Blu-ray players were never supposed to support BDMV authored content using ordinary data type BD-R or BD-RE media." Meaning home-made BR Movies on Standalone Blu-ray (movie) players. Blu-ray burners are built to allow PCs to store larger amounts of Data.

Not to store copied BR movies for playback on standalone BR video playback machines.

They can do it, i.e. change movie player firmware to not allow playback of home-recordable media of any kind. When I asked LG support when they would fix the AVCHD and BD-5/9 playback that broke w/June firmware, they said only "go back to April firmware if that worked for you" implying they were NOT going to restore AVCHD/BD5/9.
post #179 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

Are they going to fix all the disc playback issues too eg 4:3 content stretch, HDMI dropouts and lack of bit-streaming for legacy DD/DTS/LPCM codecs when decode to Multi-Channel LPCM is enabled?

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #180 of 2794 Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Once again, what was stated by paidgeek was "Blu-ray players were never supposed to support BDMV authored content using ordinary data type BD-R or BD-RE media." Meaning home-made BR Movies on Standalone Blu-ray (movie) players. Blu-ray burners are built to allow PCs to store larger amounts of Data.

Not to store copied BR movies for playback on standalone BR video playback machines.

They can do it, i.e. change movie player firmware to not allow playback of home-recordable media of any kind. When I asked LG support when they would fix the AVCHD and BD-5/9 playback that broke w/June firmware, they said only "go back to April firmware if that worked for you" implying they were NOT going to restore AVCHD/BD5/9.

What do you lose out on by going back to that firmware?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page