Forget BD-Live give me Netflix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is more directed at the BD-UP5000 owners but it might apply to BH200 people. The BD-P25X0 appears to be almost identical to the BD-UP5000 other than missing HD-DVD, plus some RAM and maybe a larger firmware ROM. As far as the netflix streaming goes I wonder if they can backport it to our models. The hardware seems so similar.

For the BH200 crowd does anyone know how different the hardware is between the BH200 and BD300? Maybe it is possible for that model as well?

Just imagine the good will Samsung and LG could get for releasing this. Just like they are now with the BD-25X0 models and the surprise announcement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Without BD-Live the Netflix streaming will not work.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I don't think both are related at all. You probably do need to have enough internal storage to store/cache the streamed video.

However, I personally have no interest in watching streamed 480p SD movie. Besides, my XBox 360 can already do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Interesting theory, I had never thought of the idea that the Netflix interface might be a java based application. That might make sense actually building it atop an already existing interface. I wish someone that knows how it works on 2500 or BD300 would let us know. The Roku I think is a different thing altogether.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 AM

BD-Java is Profile 1.1 which both players already can handle. BD-Live has nothing to do with that.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Don't see why it would need BD-Live. It is unrelated to Blu-ray. Both players have an ethernet port and internal memory which should be all that's needed.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Well Samsung is adding Netflix functionality to its Reon based BD-P2550 and BD-P2500 players.

Samsung could also do wonders fo its reputation and increase the pressure on LG by adding Netflix functionality to the BD-P1500 and the BD-UP5000. However, I don't see that happening.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/23/s...ray-players-u/
post #8 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Interesting concept. The fuss over BDLive's inconsistent roll out & lack of content leads me to believe we are not even in the internet world.

I think part of that is that we are so behind in broadband speeds in the USA vs. the rest of the world - Therefore , there is no incentive for the studios to provide this service at the very highest level or quality.

Now what a Netflix option will do is force the studios to realize that to retain those eyeballs, they need to provide something extra or else they will lose market share to the streaming comp.

That may just turn the BDLive switch on via the studios paying Sammy & LG to turn it on for them or the box guys realizing that it's more revenue either way.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #9 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

I think part of that is that we are so behind in broadband speeds in the USA vs. the rest of the world - Therefore , there is no incentive for the studios to provide this service at the very highest level or quality.

Actually, it is the otherway around. When Ironman was first released, Studio's own BD-Live content server can't keep up the requirement and ppl are forced to wait an hour or longer to download something around 10MB worth of data. It's not about what broadband speed consumers have. It is about how much bandwidth the studio is willing to pay to support millions of downloads in the first day of release. You will find Studios will quickly lose interest in BD-Live contents if they are forced to pay $$$ for fast servers (multiple servers in world wide scale) and fat pipes to support BD-Live contents without any additional revenue to compensate it.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Bringing Netflix to the BD-UP5000 or BH200 via a firmware update probably isn't going to happen. There's probably more space for "programs" in the models that support it now. They were designed with it in mind. I don't know this as fact though.

That being said, I can't think of any reason that a Netflix Streaming Blu-ray disc (profile 2.0) couldn't be authored to handle this. It would just contain a BD-J (java) program that would connect to Netflix for streaming. It could do it's caching using the 1Gig of memory dedicated to profile 2.0.

This way, any profile 2.0 player would become a Netflix player just by inserting a disc. Netflix should really look into doing this to expand their base. They could even charge a little bit of money for the disc.

This doesn't have to be limited to Netflix. Hulu and others could do it as well.

John
post #11 of 16 Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got this from LG:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing. Unfortunately there are no plans to update the BH200 to support BDLive 2.0.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
rumor is that netflix will have a HD streaming service in the next few months...HD lite more than likely, but still better than SD.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #13 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

rumor is that netflix will have a HD streaming service in the next few months...HD lite more than likely, but still better than SD.

I can't even get the high quality SD to stream properly half the time and I have a 6mb connection. I'd hate to see what their HD service will be like.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Netflix isn't much good to those of us outside the US?

Surely the point has to be that if we are paying a substantial premium for players & content then the least the producers of said players & content can do is ensure that we get something close to our money's worth?

I bought my BH200 on the understanding that it would allow me to have just one machine for both movie formats (so zero risk on the format war) and that it was highly spec'd (above the BH100 I could have bought, for instance) and able to work with the coming changes & improvements to the Blu-ray content.

Just like they said it would.

Of course the fact that they look like they are backing away from those pledges (if not actual out and out promises) gives me zero confidence that they will even continue to support the player with future firmware updates, updates which may well be necessary just to play the damned Blu-ray discs as they mess about making changes in the endless (IMO futile) 'war' with so-called 'pirates'.

Where will we be then?

I do know one thing, if that really is the future in store for us I will not be in a line ever again to buy an LG product.

I don't expect support in perpetuity but calling it a day after around 1yr seems mighty shabby to me.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Well, they haven't completely given up on the BH200, so make sure you contact them letting them know you expect them to continue to support the unit.

I've compiled a list of contact links (both for LG, and for outside sources)... please contact as many of them as possible to help persuade LG to fulfill their promises.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post14946834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxxerman001 View Post

Netflix isn't much good to those of us outside the US?

Surely the point has to be that if we are paying a substantial premium for players & content then the least the producers of said players & content can do is ensure that we get something close to our money's worth?

I bought my BH200 on the understanding that it would allow me to have just one machine for both movie formats (so zero risk on the format war) and that it was highly spec'd (above the BH100 I could have bought, for instance) and able to work with the coming changes & improvements to the Blu-ray content.

Just like they said it would.

Of course the fact that they look like they are backing away from those pledges (if not actual out and out promises) gives me zero confidence that they will even continue to support the player with future firmware updates, updates which may well be necessary just to play the damned Blu-ray discs as they mess about making changes in the endless (IMO futile) 'war' with so-called 'pirates'.

Where will we be then?

I do know one thing, if that really is the future in store for us I will not be in a line ever again to buy an LG product.

I don't expect support in perpetuity but calling it a day after around 1yr seems mighty shabby to me.

post #16 of 16 Old 10-27-2008, 03:54 PM

Thanks for that stpat, I'll start emailing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page