LG BH200 Owner Review - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 2675 Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Passthrough of everything works fine for me (so far) except for the DD and DD+ tracks on The Matrix HD DVD. TrueHD works fine but nothing else. Internal decoding to LPCM works fine for everything. It's weird. I got an Onkyo 605 too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2675 Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by badwilly View Post

The march firmware that came out for a limited amount of time does enable most of what people wanted. I believe the answer to your question is yes. Can't say from experience because my new Denon AVR4308 decodes so I have my BH200 doing pass thru. By the way, good to see you here. I responded to you a number of times in the HD DVD forums.

Thanks, bw!

I've ordered my BH200 today.

Anyone know a link to where I can get this firmware update?
post #1263 of 2675 Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Thanks, bw!

I've ordered my BH200 today.

Anyone know a link to where I can get this firmware update?

Here is a good starting point.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

Western Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post

http://www.us.onkyo.com/605firmware_replace.cfm

Here is a link for info about update only needed on early production models. You can tell by your serial number.

Thanks I will try that when I get home.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #1265 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed that there is a lip sync issue with my HD DVD disks. Is this a common problem? I downloaded the February firmware on the LG website, but I have not downloaded the march version yet. Does the March firmware fix this issue? or is there another solution.

I have the player connected to the tv via an HDMI cable and I have tried out all of the audio settings.

Thanks
post #1266 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 02:58 PM

James: Yes, the March 2008 firmware update should correct the lip sync problem. I have not experienced that issue, yet.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9Z4HIP3

Be advised there is also a newer Loader Version, 0702, that is not included in the March 2008 firmware update. Only available via download from the Internet. Since I don't have Internet capability, I have not had my BH200 try to download and replace the 0701 Loader with the 0702 version. Not sure how crucial this version is or what it specifically addresses.

Have Fun.
post #1267 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Since going to 0702 (from 0701), we've tried two BD discs, and the player has a problem with both. If the movie is paused, the pop-up menu cannot be navigated at all. Any button press results in the red "No" symbol (the player thinks the arrow buttons are not valid).

Titles tested:
- Hitman
- I Am Legend

I don't remember that problem before we "upgraded" to 0702...so I'm hoping someone with 0701 can check either or both of those titles:
- play the movie a bit
- pause it
- press the Title/Pop-up button to display the menu over the movie
- attempt to navigate the menu (e.g. change the audio track, or open the special features menu)

If it works, that's great. If your player thinks the arrow buttons are invalid, you're in the same boat as me. Either way, please report your findings along with your driver number. Thanks.

Note:
- if the movie is not paused, the pop-up menu can successfully be navigated
- the movies played successfully. It was merely a pop-up navigation problem.

I'm pretty sure I paused other BDs when accessing the pop-up menu to change/test audio tracks. Possible explanations:
- problem with just those two titles
- I didn't actually pause other titles
- the 0702 update brought this issue...

Related question: there's the "Factory Reset" option on the blue system screen. Anyone know if performing the reset will revert the driver version?
post #1268 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman0 View Post

I have noticed that there is a lip sync issue with my HD DVD disks. Is this a common problem? I downloaded the February firmware on the LG website, but I have not downloaded the march version yet. Does the March firmware fix this issue? or is there another solution.

I have the player connected to the tv via an HDMI cable and I have tried out all of the audio settings.

Thanks

If you are running audio through a receiver to a Plasma display, your receiver might have an adjustment in menu to correct this. My Onkyo 605 does.
post #1269 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 PM

[quote=oilblue;13500809]Since going to 0702 (from 0701), we've tried two BD discs, and the player has a problem with both. If the movie is paused, the pop-up menu cannot be navigated at all. Any button press results in the red "No" symbol (the player thinks the arrow buttons are not valid).

Titles tested:
- Hitman
- I Am Legend

I don't remember that problem before we "upgraded" to 0702

Try re-loading march firmware update. It will not affect the driver.
post #1270 of 2675 Old 03-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Try re-loading march firmware update. It will not affect the driver.

Did that already. I should have mentioned it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
post #1271 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post

James: Yes, the March 2008 firmware update should correct the lip sync problem. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9Z4HIP3

If it's okay with other members can we post to the thread not directly to the download link. I only say this as the download link doesn't come with the other necessary info the Mini-FAQ link does (such as checking the Byte size):

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

I've asked the Mods if they can change it's title as it is a bit misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post

Be advised there is also a newer Loader Version, 0702, that is not included in the March 2008 firmware update.

As I understand it this isn't included as it's a Loader Drive and thus entirely different from the Firmware.

Why LG haven't also made it available on their website is anyone's guess but it will be a separate download when/if they do. A Loader Driver is installed somewhere else entirely to the Firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

Related question: there's the "Factory Reset" option on the blue system screen. Anyone know if performing the reset will revert the driver version?

I would be surprised if it does. Usually Factory reset just means restore all settings/config options to defaults. It doesn't literally mean reset to how it was in the factory. In fact unless the LG BH200 stores the prior Loader Driver then there is no way for it to revert it back. When you upgrade the Loader Driver it will overwrite the existing one.

Given your problems I'd give factory reset a go. Can you not just re-install the Loader Driver again if it happens to revert back?
post #1272 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

I would be surprised if it does. Usually Factory reset just means restore all settings/config options to defaults. It doesn't literally mean reset to how it was in the factory. In fact unless the LG BH200 stores the prior Loader Driver then there is no way for it to revert it back. When you upgrade the Loader Driver it will overwrite the existing one.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

This isn't the "Factory Settings" option under the Settings - Others - Initialize menu. That one does equate to going back to factory defaults for all configuration settings.

The "Factory Reset" is found under the special "System Information" screen (blue screen that appears with white text listing firmware version, loader version, MAC address, among other things). It's the screen displayed by entering the 1397139 sequence while highlighting 16:9.

Besides all the diagnostic info displayed, the final line reads:
Quote:

Press PAUSE Key or MP2 Key to Factory Reset!!

No idea what the "MP2 Key" is...but...the exclamation marks combined with the hidden screen activated by a special key sequence lead me to believe this goes well beyond restoring default settings (found under the regular menu).

Additionally, Samsungmaster mentioned the Factory Reset procedure as something Joerod could try in an attempt to get around the issues he was experiencing (i.e. do the Factory Reset, then the firmware update).

Now that we're clear on which option I'm talking about, my question is, does anyone know whether the "Factory Reset" process will revert the driver version? (in this case, from 0702 to 0701)

Reason being, I'd like to perform the 'pause/pop-up menu' tests on 0701 to see if it garners better results than 0702. Perhaps you're right that I should just go ahead...but I thought I'd ask first.
post #1273 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the clarification. It could just be the same option in two places but agreed it does seem to imply something more.

I'd wait a wee while and if no one knows give it a go. Please post if you do and what it does/doesn't alter/wipe.
post #1274 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got my BH200 yesterday and installed the March firmware. So far I am very happy with this player. I did have trouble with the HD DVD of Clerks II, which I believe is a known issue with this player. The disc loads and the menu graphics appear, but no menu. So far I haven't figured out how to play the movie. I hit Enter a few times and tried to stop and restart the disc, but no luck. I think there may be some compatibility issues with this player and some Weinstein HD DVDs. When I tried Wolf Creek, the same thing happened - no menu, but if you hit Enter the movie starts and then you can then access the menu with no problems.

The player also acted a little weird with the Saw IV BD a couple of times. It would try to load and then come back with "disc error" and spit the disc out. And I have also had the disc load, then get stuck right after the Lionsgate logo while the player is trying to read it. But if you hit the disc menu while it is doing this, the menu will appear and you can start the film. Other times it would load flawlessly and take you right to the menu.

So far, no audio dropouts, but one very brief (less than one second) video dropout during one of the featurettes on the Hostel II BD. No issues during playback of actual movies on any discs so far.

My opinion - very nice player. Audio and video are excellent for HD DVD & BD and the player does a nice job upscaling DVDs as well. A couple of minor issues which will hopefully be corrected with a future firmware update.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #1275 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone notice quiet audio "ticks" with their 200? They seem to occur when the audio is changing in the menus at the start of a movie and also can appear in quiet moments. I notice them especially on audio CD's when manually skipping to the next track but not as much when the track changes during normal play. Didnt have this with my XA2 with the same connection and cables. I am connected by HDMI with pri pass-thru to a Denon 988, March firmware and 701 driver.

Edit: forgot to add I have had audio dropouts on 3 audio CD's I played, 2 without the TV switched and 1 with, also 1 audio/video dropout with T2 Ultimate which I still cannot get to connect to the net.
post #1276 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bought BH200 yesterday; installed March firmware and 702 driver today. True HD/DD+ work fine choosing pass thru on player.
Have played the following: Pirates/Dead Mens Chest/BR......Iwo Jima/HDDVD....Superman 2/Donner cut HDDVD....Gone Baby Gone/BR.......all work fine.
No green lines, no glitches so far.
I'll check out Matrix; read somewhere that some were having issues.

HDDVD: 33
BR: 2

Reciever: Denon 3808ci
TV: Mistusibishi 57831
post #1277 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had 2 video dropouts while watching Saw (German HD DVD). It looks like this is still an issue for the BH200, maybe just less frequently than before the March firmware was released. I hope this is corrected soon.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #1278 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Checked out Pans Labryinth in DTS Master via bitstream and it worked fine on my 3808.
Also tried the Matrix HDDVD set and it worked fine along with the Bourne Ultimatum in HDDVD.

I'm really pleased with this player, I purchased the Toshiba XA2 last year and was hoping HD would win out; so I've been reluctant about purchasing a BR player up until now. I've had been researching both this player and the Samsung but since they are lagging in support I went with the BH 200 and quite frankly very satisfied with this player. It even loads faster than my XA2.
post #1279 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 PM

Played Fly Boys DTS HD Master on my Onkyo 605 through HDMI with no Sonic Bomb.
post #1280 of 2675 Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 PM

I just got my BH200 yesterday from best buy, $599 minus 10% coupon. Installed the March firmware without any problems. Watched 3:10 to Yuma and Ant Bully (HD DVD Combo) without any problems. I was going to wait for the BH300 but right now I'm happy that I pulled the trigger.

33 HD DVD
2 Blu-ray

Thankfully, everyone at AVS Forum has been on top of the combo scene.
post #1281 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:

Played Fly Boys DTS HD Master on my Onkyo 605 through HDMI with no Sonic Bomb.

That's great, but that doesn't mean you're immune...

Excerpt from the original post in the thread discussing the "bitstream bomb":
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Be aware that just because you played any of these titles, does not mean that you don't have a problem as it appears not all titles affect every receiver.
"The Fly" seems to be the definitive test that no one with stated equipment can pass.
**see link below for a video clip of the "POP"**
Test at your own risk!!!

Highlighting this issue is important now that the BH200 can bitstream DTS-HD MA, but further discussion on the bitstream bomb should probably happen over in that thread as it's not at all BH200 specific.
[edit: and read the summary in the first post--it's updated as more info is discovered]
post #1282 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yep, I updated my Integra 9.8 yesterday for the bitstream bomb... trust me, you do NOT want to hear it. The update is very easy.
post #1283 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have Onkyo released a DTS-HD Bomb fix for their Onkyo 605 and other Amps? Thanks.
post #1284 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue View Post

That's great, but that doesn't mean you're immune...

Excerpt from the original post in the thread discussing the "bitstream bomb":

Highlighting this issue is important now that the BH200 can bitstream DTS-HD MA, but further discussion on the bitstream bomb should probably happen over in that thread as it's not at all BH200 specific.
[edit: and read the summary in the first post--it's updated as more info is discovered]

I have contacted Onkyo with my serial number. Let's see what they have to say. BTW, I wasn't the one who brought this topic into this thread and I will post anywhere I please.
post #1285 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bty?
post #1286 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I have contacted Onkyo with my serial number. Let's see what they have to say. BTY, I wasn't the one who brought this topic into this thread and I will post anywhere I please.

So far, according to the other thread, Onkoyo hasn't said much.

Fair enough that you can post where ever you like. I'm certainly no mod. It was just a suggestion as I thought we'd be getting off topic a bit going down the bitstream bomb road in a BH200 thread...

BTW, you were the one that brought up the topic in this thread. Perhaps you're thinking of the other BH200 thread ("LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + 03/08 Firmware (TrueHD 7.1, DTS-HD, 24p) + SD DVD Multiregion!") where you responded:
Quote:

Please, I have had no audio/video problems with my Onkyo 605. I run everything through the Onkyo with HDMI. No sonic booms or audio problems of any kind. If there is a disc out there that has a problem, I haven't watched it. Anyway Onkyo would address such a problem and note it on their web page.

As mentioned over there, it's great you haven't had a problem. Several other people have (as shown in the bitstream bomb thread).
post #1287 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon View Post

Bty?

bloody Texas yanks
post #1288 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 01:18 PM

bradavon -

Since installing the 0702 driver my remote won't function with it's repeater - only direct line of sight. Heard that one yet? I've checked all the customary points - batteries, position, repeater functionality - no dice. It was working perfect before the updated driver. I find it difficult to believe that the driver is the reason but nothing else has changed. Any ideas?
post #1289 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 01:25 PM

Interesting. Maybe the "driver version" has something to do with remotes. As indicated above, we've had a problem navigating the popup menu when BD titles are paused. I know it's a problem now that I'm running 0702...just not 100% sure it wasn't there before. Maybe it was. Guess I'll try the Factory Reset!! option to see if 0701 returns (allowing me to test).
post #1290 of 2675 Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Picked up the BH200 on Friday at $599 (minus $50 using the gift card BB gave me for buying my A30). So far I've been very happy with it. Upgraded the firmware to 3-14 and Loader to 0702 via Ethernet. The only frustration I've experienced so far is with the I Am Legend BD. I have no idea how to get to the load menu to select Theatrical or Alternate versions UNLESS I do it within the first 30-60 seconds after I first put the disc in. If I don't select anything it starts playing and the only menu I can get to after that is the disc menu with commentaries. Minor gripe though and I can't discern from the I Am Legend thread or this one if it's the disk or the player.

I do have a question about QDEO. I the setup menu if you disable QDEO the other visual setting menus open up to allow you to make adjustments to contrast, white noise, etc. I found that by turning off QDEO for BD and HD-DVD playpack I get a more consistent and contrasty picture...I assume that leaving QDEO enabled may be a dynamic contrast and picture adjustment setting? I found with QDEO enabled by defualt the dark scenes were too dark for my liking...no shadow detail unless I crank the brightness and contrasy way up on my pj to the point that everything loses shadows and looks too defined. Anyone have any suggestion regarding when to use QDEO? I would assume it might be useful for SD-DVD but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone find that HDM looks better with it enabled? My experience so far is that BD and HD-DVD playback are better with the QDEO enhancements turned off.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by emartins

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page