BD-UP5000 Universal Player Samsung [OFFICIAL OWNERS THREAD] & FAQ - Page 475 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 104Likes

post #14221 of 14231 Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok thanks. Ya the remote is for a AVR but it does work. There is both a setup/menu and back bottons that I have found but still trying to find out what other functions it has for the player. I really cant be picky about the price of the remote since I found it at goodwill for a $1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14222 of 14231 Old 06-10-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.kludge View Post
I looked and I only have 1.3 onward. You really don't want to run anything before 1.3 as it is the one that has full bit-stream. However if I remember it is the one that re-introduced the 24fps tearing at the top of the screen (that may have been 1.4). You also don't want to run 1.4,1.5 or 1.6. There are MANY discs both BD and HD that don't function right with those. I was able to get several HDs fixed with 1.6. 1.7 seems to be the best overall release for me but I have reverted back to 1.3 on occasion. Also there are many Disney DVDs that won't play due to an incorrect region/encoding issue and the fix is to go back to 1.4 for that. However if you rarely play recent (since 2010 or so) Disney DVDs you won't need to do that.

1.3, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 are available here; https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...XplZnZZeDZFWTA
use 1.8 at your own risk. I created that one so check the date and you might figure it out. You might check older posts to see if someone preserved, uploaded and stored 1.2. I didn't think of doing that since that is what mine had on it when new so I never had to download it and besides the player as far as audio was useless to me until 1.3 anyhow.
Hi, I had been looking for v1.8 and downloaded it. However, the file is very small so doesn't seem correct. Can you check if it is correct? Thanks.
post #14223 of 14231 Old 06-10-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielee View Post
Hi, I had been looking for v1.8 and downloaded it. However, the file is very small so doesn't seem correct. Can you check if it is correct? Thanks.
Did you read the Read Me file? If you look at the date and think a bit based on how I told you how the dates work you will figure it out. A hint. That update came out April 1st 2016 I think (year does not matter). Also the Read Me is kinda sorta relevant now but at the time it was kinda funny (at least I thought it was--maybe in a bit of poor taste?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14224 of 14231 Old 06-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have an option on which 1 is better between the lg BH100 and the BH200?
post #14225 of 14231 Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majik732007 View Post
Does anyone have an option on which 1 is better between the lg BH100 and the BH200?
Perhaps you should ask this question on the LG combo player thread. This one is for the Sammy 5k. I own a LG BH200 and it is a very good player. For HD and BD it about the same as the Samsung but fails in comparison on DVD upscaling. It seems a bit more refined than the Sammy and the firmware seems to have held up better also. I rarely use mine anymore but I don't recall a single disc we have tried that does not work. I know there are disc issues I have just never worried about it due the application I have it in. Like the Sammy it's dirt slow loading BDs, not too bad with HDs (in fact about the same as my real Tosh HD player and a bit quicker than the Sammy) It also supports BD live witch is BD profile 2.0 if I remember right where the Sammy does none of that. It's also much harder to find and to find parts and has always been quite a bit more than the Sammy hence why I own 7-8 of the Samsung and only one of the LG. If I remember correctly the BH100 was very short lived and quickly replaced by the 200.

Are you thinking for HDs or all around??? If you want one primarily for HDs get a Tosh (or one of the many based on the Tosh). The "real" HD players will generally play all of the released HDs were the Sammy and LG have issues with various imports, some movies which are only available as imports. If you want superior DVD upscaling the Sammy is he obvious choice, the LG being OK but not that much better than any other current BD player. For currently supported optical media (other than HDCD) the obvious best performer is the Oppo 203/205 and arguably there are a couple other newer ones out there that are very close or about to surpass the Oppo (and a whole lot less money now that Oppos are jacked through the roof). If you want a very good BD/DVD/CD/HDCD/SACD/DVD-AUDIO player your choice is the older Oppo 105 which is generally the go to deck for most audiophiles.
post #14226 of 14231 Old 04-24-2020, 07:37 PM

Liked: 10
Lately my 5000 begins to stutter after about two hours of BluRay playback. I have not tried HD-DVD yet, but will try and do that this weekend. The discs look fine so I suspect this is the beginning of the end. Bummer however it has lasted over 10 years so I cannot complain too much but if there is something I can try, I'm willing to give it a shot.
post #14227 of 14231 Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeytino View Post
Lately my 5000 begins to stutter after about two hours of BluRay playback. I have not tried HD-DVD yet, but will try and do that this weekend. The discs look fine so I suspect this is the beginning of the end. Bummer however it has lasted over 10 years so I cannot complain too much but if there is something I can try, I'm willing to give it a shot.
By stuttering do you mean it is pixilating? Or something else going on? You can try some things in this order; Clean the laser with one of the many optical player cleaning discs. I've found the ones with an actual brush work pretty well. You can all try the ones with the holes that cause a vortex and blow the dust off. Next you can take it apart and take the top off the loader and clean the laser with either high grade cleaning alcohol or liquid freon (the freon is best but hard to find these days). Use either foam laser/tape head cleaning sticks or if careful you can use cotton swabs. In a pinch you could use spectacle cleaner and one of the soft cloths they come with. Use a cotton swab and use it to clean with the cloth I.E. swab on one side and cloth side on laser. Don't put much or any pressure on it. While you have it open lube the rails with some good white lithium grease or a good teflon or silicone lube. you don't need a ton.

This may or may not work for you. With this player generally when you start having issues with either the blu or DVD laser it's an indication the loader has gone out. If it works fine with DVD, CD and/or HD-DVD and not with BD or vice versa then the affected laser is gone/going out or it's gone out of alignment. You are lucky you got one of the ones that last. A good majority of these went bad prematurely due to poorly designed loaders. That was corrected in later units but I still see those go out also.

Good to see that a few other folks are still running these. I rarely use mine anymore. I've been using my Tosh A35 for HD and Oppo-203s for everything else. I have a few other random ones nowadays also. I bought a used Sammy UHD a couple years ago that was my first 4k player to get me started. That one sits idle most of the time also. It's reserved for the great room system.
post #14228 of 14231 Old 04-28-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
By stuttering do you mean it is pixilating? Or something else going on? You can try some things in this order; Clean the laser with one of the many optical player cleaning discs. I've found the ones with an actual brush work pretty well. You can all try the ones with the holes that cause a vortex and blow the dust off. Next you can take it apart and take the top off the loader and clean the laser with either high grade cleaning alcohol or liquid freon (the freon is best but hard to find these days). Use either foam laser/tape head cleaning sticks or if careful you can use cotton swabs. In a pinch you could use spectacle cleaner and one of the soft cloths they come with. Use a cotton swab and use it to clean with the cloth I.E. swab on one side and cloth side on laser. Don't put much or any pressure on it. While you have it open lube the rails with some good white lithium grease or a good teflon or silicone lube. you don't need a ton.

This may or may not work for you. With this player generally when you start having issues with either the blu or DVD laser it's an indication the loader has gone out. If it works fine with DVD, CD and/or HD-DVD and not with BD or vice versa then the affected laser is gone/going out or it's gone out of alignment. You are lucky you got one of the ones that last. A good majority of these went bad prematurely due to poorly designed loaders. That was corrected in later units but I still see those go out also.

Good to see that a few other folks are still running these. I rarely use mine anymore. I've been using my Tosh A35 for HD and Oppo-203s for everything else. I have a few other random ones nowadays also. I bought a used Sammy UHD a couple years ago that was my first 4k player to get me started. That one sits idle most of the time also. It's reserved for the great room system.

No pixelation. The image just freezes as if on pause and/or moves very slowly. I am going to fire it up again tonight and see how long I can get before it happens again. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to being able to return to my Goodwill quests for more HD players.
post #14229 of 14231 Old 04-28-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No pixelation. The image just freezes as if on pause and/or moves very slowly. I am going to fire it up again tonight and see how long I can get before it happens again. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to being able to return to my Goodwill quests for more HD players.
Sounds like a layer change issue? Is it ~an hour in when it does it. If so that is a tell-tell sign of that. I have or had a couple loaders that would crap out after the layer change on very long movies (2hs+). Fine up until that point then crapola. I also have one that when playing older original Lionsgate BDs will not play all the way through without issues but plays every other disc without issues. If I remember it was every LG disc I had at the time. Was very early on in the HD optical disc game. It happened right after I played Wallace and Grommet and I had noted that the disc was way more super shiny than any other disc I have. I have a theory something about that disc burnt out the laser due to some kind of reflection. Either that or it was a way super crazy coincidence. Prior to that I had no issues with any of my LG discs. After that I had to replace a few of them but they were ones that had known issues. Some were swapped out by LG and others I just found a different copy and got rid of or sold the suspect ones. I've played the W&G disc in my current set-up and my "project" player since and it's just fine.

Trying the things I suggest might get it going again. I was able to resurrect a few loaders in the early days with that method. However I know I have one loader that will play any move under 2 hours but anything longer is toast and does just what you are describing.

Have you tried both a "cold" start and and "complete restart"? For a cold hold the >| button on the right side of the controller on the front panel for about 6-7 seconds and it will "cold start" or boot. This has to be done with the power on, no disc in and the tray closed. For a complete do the same but after you unplug it for a good long time (if you don't want to open it up and short out the PS caps. to drain them completely). Then do a cold boot again. So boot, power plug and insure there is no current left in the caps. then cold boot again. You will have to reprogram it after you are done but this player does not have that many options and settings that are relevant anymore. I.E. networking, clock time set and other "on-line" features are pretty much dead or useless.

If after you have tried that and done some maintenance after if no joy (laser clean and lube) send me the output of the advanced info screen. Press and hold "info" on the remote with no disc and the tray open. And also the system info from the set-up menu (forget all the steps). It may be that you have the bad loader code that happens depending on the order that the player was updated. I have a procedure posted somewhere in here that walks you through retaining the most current loader code and updated the player to the latest code for it. Samsung messed up on the last couple updated and overwrote the loader code with older less reliable code used when the player was very new. This will cause issues with some discs and features etc.

You might want to just snap some pics of those 2 screens and PM me before you do all this but the resets won't hurt the unit (at least in my experience) and cleaning the laser and lube is a good idea after a decade or so of use.

The idea of going to the Good Will to find HD gear seems way bizarre to me since it seems like just yesterday this was the latest and greatest tech. My how time flies. I'm going on my 3rd year of messing with UHD/4K/HDR etc. so I guess it makes sense.
post #14230 of 14231 Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a layer change issue? Is it ~an hour in when it does it. If so that is a tell-tell sign of that. I have or had a couple loaders that would crap out after the layer change on very long movies (2hs+). Fine up until that point then crapola. I also have one that when playing older original Lionsgate BDs will not play all the way through without issues but plays every other disc without issues. If I remember it was every LG disc I had at the time. Was very early on in the HD optical disc game. It happened right after I played Wallace and Grommet and I had noted that the disc was way more super shiny than any other disc I have. I have a theory something about that disc burnt out the laser due to some kind of reflection. Either that or it was a way super crazy coincidence. Prior to that I had no issues with any of my LG discs. After that I had to replace a few of them but they were ones that had known issues. Some were swapped out by LG and others I just found a different copy and got rid of or sold the suspect ones. I've played the W&G disc in my current set-up and my "project" player since and it's just fine.

Trying the things I suggest might get it going again. I was able to resurrect a few loaders in the early days with that method. However I know I have one loader that will play any move under 2 hours but anything longer is toast and does just what you are describing.

Have you tried both a "cold" start and and "complete restart"? For a cold hold the >| button on the right side of the controller on the front panel for about 6-7 seconds and it will "cold start" or boot. This has to be done with the power on, no disc in and the tray closed. For a complete do the same but after you unplug it for a good long time (if you don't want to open it up and short out the PS caps. to drain them completely). Then do a cold boot again. So boot, power plug and insure there is no current left in the caps. then cold boot again. You will have to reprogram it after you are done but this player does not have that many options and settings that are relevant anymore. I.E. networking, clock time set and other "on-line" features are pretty much dead or useless.

If after you have tried that and done some maintenance after if no joy (laser clean and lube) send me the output of the advanced info screen. Press and hold "info" on the remote with no disc and the tray open. And also the system info from the set-up menu (forget all the steps). It may be that you have the bad loader code that happens depending on the order that the player was updated. I have a procedure posted somewhere in here that walks you through retaining the most current loader code and updated the player to the latest code for it. Samsung messed up on the last couple updated and overwrote the loader code with older less reliable code used when the player was very new. This will cause issues with some discs and features etc.

You might want to just snap some pics of those 2 screens and PM me before you do all this but the resets won't hurt the unit (at least in my experience) and cleaning the laser and lube is a good idea after a decade or so of use.

The idea of going to the Good Will to find HD gear seems way bizarre to me since it seems like just yesterday this was the latest and greatest tech. My how time flies. I'm going on my 3rd year of messing with UHD/4K/HDR etc. so I guess it makes sense.

Mr. K:

Thanks for all of the info. I will follow your suggestions tomorrow. I was watching Goldeneye from the Bond box set. It was at the point that Bond and Natalya escaped from the train - thankfully I still had my laserdisc copy so I could keep watching - I paused the movie for about 15-20 minutes ( I know I should have stopped it but did not think it would take that long) when I had a phone call so I don't know if it was a time thing or layer change.
post #14231 of 14231 Old 04-29-2020, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Mr. K:

Thanks for all of the info. I will follow your suggestions tomorrow. I was watching Goldeneye from the Bond box set. It was at the point that Bond and Natalya escaped from the train - thankfully I still had my laserdisc copy so I could keep watching - I paused the movie for about 15-20 minutes ( I know I should have stopped it but did not think it would take that long) when I had a phone call so I don't know if it was a time thing or layer change.
Ah I assumed you were having issues with multiple discs. A single incident with one disc should not be of concern unless it happens with multiple discs esp. if from the same studio.

Cold start your player. Try it again. If still no joy with that disc try another. If others are fine you should be in the clear. Disc quality and cleanliness is key with this player. Some loaders can be rather picky either with the blu or red laser or both. Even if a disc looks clean buff it anyway with alcohol based spectacle cleaner and one of those microfiber cloths (I used to polish rental discs on my shirt or pants and nowadays wash and clean this way) that it comes with. Both Sam's Club and Costco sell good stuff and kits for that. I'm partial to the Sam's Club Member mark kit since they will refill your small bottle for free. Clean disc from the inside out and not radial to avoid damaging scratches.

I don't think you could have damaged your loader by putting it on pause for that short of time but as you say that sort of thing should be avoided with any optical player. You may have just overheated it a bit. My first loader on my first player was left on for a week in searing Summer heat while we went on vacation and had our hardwood floors installed in our old house. Contractor put a tarp over my cabinet and trapped all the heat in. Kids that we hired to watch the house decided to watch a movie and left the player on at the menu almost the entire week. Needless to say the loader crashed and burned not too long after that. My guess if that did not happen I would be still running that original loader in that player as I had purchased it brand new on the after the demise of HD-DVD fire sale at Crutchfield. The one and only DUO HD/BD player of my 9 or so that I actually purchased new other than my LG BH200.

My Goldeneye is still sealed in the box set otherwise I would give it a whirl in my player and see what happens. I might decide to open it up. Been looking for an excuse. I thought I had a standalone of that one but it's Goldfinger not Goldeneye. If further problems please provide me the exact timer marks where is has issues. With 1000s of movies on hand I don't have all of them memorized to that level. Oh and just FYI I think the 007 movies are MGM/Fox and some of those did have issues on older loader and player code. Might be it or a bad disc if it happens at the exact same spot and not with other discs. If it happens at random places that would be a dirty disc or most likely a failing loader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dual Format Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page