Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now - Page 2228 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 212647Likes

post #66811 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 13909
Van Halen

kevin j, Clarence, gprace and 9 others like this.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #66812 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 22887
vinyl

Quote:
Under a Blood Red Sky is a live album by Irish rock band U2, released in 1983.

The album consists of live recordings from three shows on the band's War Tour, from Colorado and Boston in the US and from Germany. Along with its companion concert film, U2 Live at Red Rocks: Under a Blood Red Sky, the release helped establish U2's reputation globally as a live act. The film was recorded entirely at the outdoor Red Rocks Amphitheatre on 5 June 1983, while two songs from that show are included on the album.

During the performance of "The Electric Co.", Bono included a 27-second snippet of Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns". When Under a Blood Red Sky was released, U2 failed to get permission and pay the appropriate licensing and royalty fees to include that piece of Sondheim's tune on the album. When Sondheim objected, U2 agreed to pay a $50,000 (US) penalty for the unauthorized use and to press all future releases with a new version that did not include the snippet. There are two versions of the vinyl album: the original with the full "The Electric Co." running 5:18 and the edited version which runs 4:51.

AllMusic Review:
War turned U2 into arena rock stars, and the EP Under a Blood Red Sky captures the band on its supporting tour as the bandmembers adjusted to their larger audiences. Unsurprisingly for a band that always favored the grand statement, the group flourished in such a setting, as this mini-EP attests.

Comprised of material recorded in America and Germany, Under a Blood Red Sky draws equally from the band's first three albums, and these live versions, while less textured, are considerably tougher than their studio counterparts and illustrate quite effectively why U2 were considered one of the best, most exhilarating live bands of the '80s.
post #66813 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
During the performance of "The Electric Co.", Bono included a 27-second snippet of Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns". When Under a Blood Red Sky was released, U2 failed to get permission and pay the appropriate licensing and royalty fees to include that piece of Sondheim's tune on the album. When Sondheim objected, U2 agreed to pay a $50,000 (US) penalty for the unauthorized use and to press all future releases with a new version that did not include the snippet. There are two versions of the vinyl album: the original with the full "The Electric Co." running 5:18 and the edited version which runs 4:51.
Just noticed my album is the original pressing with the unauthorized "Send in the Clowns" lyrics.
Matt2026 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #66814 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Closing Time is the debut studio album by the American singer-songwriter Tom Waits, released in 1973.

Waits began working as a doorman at a San Diego, California, club, The Heritage, which was a coffee house by day. In November 1970, Waits performed his first paid show at The Heritage, earning $25 for his performance. Herb Cohen inadvertently spotted Waits and became his manager. Waits relocated from San Diego to Los Angeles in early 1972 and performed more frequently at The Troubadour, where David Geffen discovered him performing "Grapefruit Moon." The performance, which "floored" Geffen, led Geffen to negotiate with Cohen, and Waits signed to Asylum Records.

Produced and arranged by former Lovin' Spoonful member Jerry Yester, the album is noted for being predominantly folk influenced although Waits intended for Closing Time to be "a jazz, piano-led album." The title track, "Closing Time", was the only song recorded in full, and Yester later described the session as "the most magical session I've ever been involved with. At the end of it, no one spoke for what felt like five minutes, either in the booth or out in the room. No one budged. Nobody wanted the moment to end." Critical reaction to Closing Time was positive.

The album's only single—"Ol' '55"—attracted attention due to a cover version by Waits' better-known label mates The Eagles.

"Martha" was covered by Tim Buckley, Bette Midler, and Meat Loaf. "I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You" has been covered by 10,000 Maniacs, Marc Cohn, Hootie & the Blowfish, and Jon Bon Jovi.
post #66815 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Sorry, not an actual album or cd. I always give them a rest Sunday morning. 104.7FM WTUE in Dayton, Ohio has done this for 20+ years. Wouldn't be Sunday without it. Look it up through Internet radio if it is not available in your area. Probably 20 stations US run it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iiiiiii.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2565740  

Last edited by MRAYB; 05-12-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #66816 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
My Way is the sixty-eighth studio album by Willie Nelson, released in 2018.

The album is a tribute to Frank Sinatra. Nelson and Sinatra were close friends and mutual admirers of each other's work. In the 1980s, the pair performed on the same bill at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.

The album received the Grammy Award for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album, marking Nelson's 13th career Grammy win.

AllMusic Review:
Ever since 1978's Stardust, standards albums have been part of Willie Nelson's arsenal, but 2018's My Way presents a twist on this shopworn tradition: it's designed as a tribute to Frank Sinatra. Album-long tributes to Sinatra aren't uncommon -- Bob Dylan devoted much of the 2010s to recording a series of tributes to him -- but My Way stands apart from the pack by capturing both the rakish charm of the Chairman of the Board and Nelson's sly elegance.

Nelson balances standards from the Great American Songbook ("A Foggy Day," "Blue Moon," "Night and Day," "Young at Heart") with songs written with Sinatra in mind ("Fly Me to the Moon," "Summer Wind," "It Was a Very Good Year," "My Way"), which brings My Way closer to the essence of Frank Sinatra than Dylan's stylized saloon records. This is light and breezy, music that suggests the swinging heyday of Sinatra without ever quite sounding like a dusty old Capitol LP, not even the horns are sighing and blaring. Chalk that up to Nelson, who sounds limber if a bit scraggly, both in his voice and on his guitar. There's a wry, insouciant charm to his performances: he knows how to ratchet up the drama in "It Was Very Good Year," realizes "My Way" is irresistible hokum, and slides into the calming melody of "Summer Wind."

Unlike Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin, Nelson's limitations aren't a hindrance, and the arrangements aren't excessively polite, which means My Way is an appealingly light record: it's performed with more affection than reverence.
post #66817 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I'm listening today while filing away the past few months of new (to me) albums.

My shelves and online lists are alphabetized.

Today's dilemma:
Which letter should "Little Steven" be filed under?

L?
S?
V? ("Van Zandt" is nowhere on the album cover).

FWIW, I filed Lil' Wayne, Little Richard, and Little Walter under "L".
post #66818 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 4613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
I'm listening today while filing away the past few months of new (to me) albums.

My shelves and online lists are alphabetized.

Today's dilemma:
Which letter should "Little Steven" be filed under?

L?
S?
V? ("Van Zandt" is nowhere on the album cover).

FWIW, I filed Lil' Wayne, Little Richard, and Little Walter under "L".
I'd go with "L"
Clarence, Matt2026, drh3b and 1 others like this.

Spoiler!
post #66819 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 19971
Lonnie Liston Smith - Live!

Quote:
funky and soulful electric jazz that lands somewhere in the realms of fusion, soul jazz and post bop
Cover belies condition of vinyl (don't listen to the cover anyway) - this Dynaflex pressing plays NM.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #66820 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
vinyl

I never knew about "The Electric Co." lyric issue. I haven't played my LP in years, but remembered that part of the song. I just went and checked mine, and it is an original release. I was a huge U2 fan in that era, and probably bought this right when it was released. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock was my favorite song on this album.

Thanks @Clarence for another great post!

EDIT: I just checked my CD version. It's the edited 4:51 version.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky .JPG
Views:	5
Size:	450.5 KB
ID:	2565756   Click image for larger version

Name:	U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky (Elec. Co.).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	2565758  
Clarence, gprace and Matt2026 like this.

Spoiler!

Last edited by RagtopFE; 05-12-2019 at 08:56 AM.
post #66821 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Ricky is the debut album by American actor and rock and roll musician Ricky Nelson, released in 1957.

The album topped the Billboard LP chart.

Eric Hilliard Nelson (May 8, 1940 – December 31, 1985) was an American rock and roll star, musician, and singer-songwriter. From age eight he starred alongside his family in the radio and television series The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. In 1957 he began a long and successful career as a popular recording artist. Nelson's first album, Ricky, was released in October 1957 and hit #1 before the end of the year. Following these successes, Nelson was given a more prominent role on the Ozzie and Harriet show and ended every two or three episodes with a musical number. Ozzie Nelson later had the idea to edit footage together to create some of the first music videos.

At age thirteen, Ricky was making over $100,000 per year, and at sixteen he had a personal fortune of $500,000. Nelson's wealth was astutely managed by his parents, who channeled his earnings into trust funds. His parents permitted him a $50 allowance at the age of eighteen, Rick was often strapped for cash and one evening collected and redeemed empty pop bottles to gain entrance to a movie theater for himself and a date.

As one of the top "teen idols" of the 1950s his fame led to a motion picture role co-starring alongside John Wayne and Dean Martin in the western feature film Rio Bravo (1959) and received a Golden Globe nomination for "Most Promising Male Newcomer".

He placed 53 songs on the Billboard Hot 100.

On May 8, 1961 (his 21st birthday), he officially modified his recording name from "Ricky Nelson" to "Rick Nelson". His childhood nickname proved hard to shake, especially among the generation who had watched him grow up on "Ozzie and Harriet". Even in the 1980s, when Nelson realized his dream of meeting Carl Perkins, Perkins noted that he and "Ricky" were the last of the "rockabilly breed."

In 1985, Nelson began a "Comeback tour" with Fats Domino. He put the "y" back on his name and became "Ricky" again. He sang the songs for which he was famous and released a greatest hits album. His comeback was cut short when, while on the tour circuit, his plane crashed.

Nelson dreaded flying but refused to travel by bus. In 1985, he decided he needed a private plane and paid $118,000 for a 1944 Douglas DC-3 that had once belonged to Jerry Lee Lewis. The plane had been plagued by a history of mechanical problems. A malfunction prevented Nelson from participating in the first Farm Aid concert. In December 1985, Nelson and band members took off from Guntersville, Alabama for a New Year's Eve show in Dallas. On December 31, 1985, the plane crash-landed in a cow pasture less than two miles from a landing strip, hitting trees on its way down. Seven of the nine occupants were killed. Pilots Ken Ferguson and Brad Rank escaped.

He had four children: Tracy Kristine, twin sons Gunnar Eric and Matthew Gray, and Sam Hilliard. A year after the death of their father in a plane crash, Lorne Michaels agreed to have Gunnar and Matthew Nelson as a musical guest on Saturday Night Live, at the request of their manager at the time. They became the first unsigned band to play on the show. Matthew was the lead singer and bassist, while Gunnar played the drums. As they returned home from the show, Gunnar told Matthew that they should start sharing the front stage together. Gunnar promised to learn to play guitar and did so in a year. They achieved success with their double platinum debut album After the Rain, which featured the number-one hit "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection". Matthew and Gunnar also perform under the name of Ricky Nelson Remembered, as a tribute to their father. They are listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the only family to reach number one record status in three successive generations (beginning with grandparents Ozzie and Harriet Nelson).

Rick Nelson was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987. In 1996, Nelson was ranked #49 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Stars of All Time. In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked Nelson #91 on their list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

AllMusic Review:
After releasing his first two singles, "A Teenager's Romance"/"I'm Walking" and "You're My One and Only Love," on Verve Records, Ricky Nelson switched to Imperial Records in the fall of 1957 for his third single, "Be-Bop Baby"/"Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?," and his debut album, Ricky. The result was even greater success: the single's A-side reached the top five and its B-side the Top 40, making for a gold record, and the LP topped the charts.

Heard at length for the first time on the 12-track album, the 17-year-old continued to display the combination of natural pop instincts and genuine rock & roll feel that set him apart from the burgeoning pack of Elvis Presley imitators. He was derivative, to be sure, a TV star from a celebrity family who attended Hollywood High School and whose life had been scripted for public consumption since he was eight years old, making him a far cry from the Hillbilly Cat. But he also sang rhythmically in his smooth voice, negotiating the rock & roll beat with far greater ease than Pat Boone. Two songs were borrowed from Carl Perkins and one from Jerry Lee Lewis, and Nelson covered Jimmie Rodgers' recent hit "Honeycomb." All of his covers were more relaxed, less frantic than the originals, but the band, pushed way back in the mix, kept up a steady guitar combo sound. There were also several updates from what could have been the Ozzie Nelson catalog: "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" (1945), "Am I Blue?" (1929), and "I'm Confessin'" (1930), plus a version of the recent Cole Porter hit "True Love." In Nelson's hands, these songs sounded more like Elvis Presley than Bing Crosby, though the older generation was never quite forgotten, and that was the idea.
Autographed by Rick Nelson.
Inscribed "From: Mom & Dad, Christmas '57" - amazing condition for a 62-year old record.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nelson Ricky.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2565746  

Last edited by Clarence; 05-12-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #66822 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dave Valentin - Live At The Blue Note

Quote:
Aggressive and incendiary, yet also languid and sensitive, Dave Valentin's Live at the Blue Note not only demonstrates this artist's wide range, but the rich possibilities for the Latin jazz genre at large.
jmacari, PlanetAVS and Fifty-Fifty like this.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #66823 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Hugh Masekala-Hope
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Masakala.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2565774  

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #66824 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Pacific Gas and Electric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PG&E.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2565776  
Class A and Fifty-Fifty like this.

Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #66825 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Sweetwater
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sweetwater.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	2565778  
PlanetAVS, Class A and Fifty-Fifty like this.

post #66826 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I like learning little details, coincidences, and consistencies like this while listening to an album...

In 1961, Nelson changed his name from Ricky to Rick on his 21st birthday.
This album is marked, "Crescendo, Anaheim, California - April 2, 1977" under the autograph "Rick Nelson".
He put the "y" back on his name and became "Ricky" again in 1985, shortly before his death.

I also found this LA Times article on the "Crescendo" club where this was autographed...
Quote:
For nearly three decades, the massive Anaheim dance hall was a premier destination for young Southern California hipsters. They kept coming even as the club changed names and formats to keep up with the times: a disco club called the Crescendo, then the Cowboy, the Bandstand, the Cowboy-Boogie and, finally, the Boogie.

Toward the end of its run, the nightspot also became a popular hangout for the Anaheim Police Department, bringing almost 500 calls a year for underage drinking, fights, stabbings and shootings.
"It was infuriating," said Anaheim police spokesman Sgt. Rick Martinez. "That place drained all my resources. We only have a certain number of cops on the street in the early-morning hours. And because of all the attention we were paying to the Boogie, I'd be left with only a few cars in the city that weren't there." Ultimately, the club lost its liquor license and closed.
As I listen to the first track on the second side, "Whole Lot of Shakin' Goin' On"... the plane that Nelson died in was previously owned by Jerry Lee Lewis.
Matt2026 and RagtopFE like this.
post #66827 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Grateful Dead

Pacific Northwest '73-'74 - The Complete Recordings Box Set

P.N.E. Coliseum - Vancouver, B.C., Canada 6/22/73
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Grateful Dead - PNW Vancouver 6-22-73.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	2565788  

Spoiler!
post #66828 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Mothers - Fillmore East - June 1971

Thanks for all that Mothers have done.....

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #66829 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 5544

Cult Leader-Lightless Walk
Oct. 2015

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #66830 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Gold is a compilation album by Don Ho, released in 1982.

Donald Tai Loy Ho (August 13, 1930 – April 14, 2007), a singer of Hawaiian and Chinese descent on his paternal side and Hawaiian and Portuguese descent on his mother's side, was born in Honolulu. He attended Springfield College on a football scholarship in 1950. Don married his high school sweetheart, Melva May Kolokea Wong, in 1951. She was the mother to his first six children. They were married for 48 years, until Melva May's death in 1999.

He returned home to earn a Bachelor's degree in sociology at University of Hawai'i in 1953. In 1954, Ho entered the United States Air Force doing his primary training at Columbus AFB, Mississippi and spent time flying C-97s with the Military Air Transport Service. Transferred to Travis AFB, California he bought an electronic keyboard from a music store, and recalls, "That's when it all started."

While in the military, Ho traveled from state to state with his young family until he was called home to help his mother with the family bar business. Ho left the United States Air Force in 1959 due to his mother's developing illness and began singing at her club.

Ho released his debut album in 1965 and began to play high-profile locations in Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe and New York City. In the fall of 1966, Ho released his most famous song, "Tiny Bubbles", which charted on both the pop and easy listening charts and caused his subsequent album, also called "Tiny Bubbles", to remain in the album Top 200 for almost a year. Guest appearances on television series such as I Dream of Jeannie, The Brady Bunch, Sanford and Son, Batman, Charlie's Angels, McCloud and Fantasy Island soon followed.

In 1995, at age 65, Ho suffered a mild stroke and his health began a steady decline. He continued his nightly performances, making a few concessions such as trading in his glass of Scotch that he kept on top of his piano at shows for pineapple juice. He collapsed and died in his Waikīkī apartment from heart failure on April 14, 2007.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ho Don - Gold.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2565838  
gprace likes this.
post #66831 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 25738
. .TOM WAITS
CLOSING TIME

(cd)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TOM WAITS CLOSING TIME (cd).jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2565840  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #66832 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

K. A. N. S. A. S
. . .
. TWO FOR THE SHOW

(2xCD)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KANSAS  TWO FOR THE SHOW (2xCD).jpg
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2565850  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #66833 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Magnum Cum Louder is the fourth album by Australian rock group Hoodoo Gurus, released in 1989.

The single "Come Anytime" reaching No. 27 on the Singles Charts and No. 1 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.

Hoodoo Gurus' iconic status on the Australian rock scene was acknowledged when they were inducted into the 2007 ARIA Hall of Fame. Their induction announcement stated that the Gurus were one of the most "inventive, lyrically smart and exciting" bands from Australia. From 1960s power pop, and wild garage punk to hard driving rock and funky psychedelic kitsch their music stood out from Sydney's Detroit-inspired bands.

AllMusic Review:
1987's Blow Your Cool! found the Hoodoo Gurus adding a considerable amount of polish to their production and toning down their trademark humor in a bid for a wider audience. But in the United States, it didn't pay off; Blow Your Cool! opened few new doors for the Gurus, and they were dropped by Elektra Records. Thankfully, 1989's Magnum Cum Louder found them newly contracted to RCA Records and sounding like their loyal fans loved them to sound -- loud, hooky, and rockin' out with a smile on their collective face.

The album's opener, "Come Anytime," was the Gurus' most irresistible pop song since "Bittersweet," and "Another World," "All the Way," and "Baby Can Dance (Pts. II-IV)" proved they hadn't used up all their good hooks in one place. Meanwhile, those wanting something stronger got their fix with a handful of top-shelf rockers, most notably "Axegrinder," "Glamourpuss," "I Don't Know Anything," and "Death in the Afternoon." The high wackiness of Hoodoo Gurus classics like "Hayride to Hell" and "Dig It Up" is still missing from Magnum Cum Louder, but the overall tone is much more relaxed than Blow Your Cool!; Dave Faulkner seems to be having a fun with the songs here, especially the mock-pompous "Axegrinder," the smirking "Glamourpuss," and the baseball saga/music biz metaphor "Where's That Hit."

The Hoodoo Gurus also went back to producing themselves, and the audio is full but uncluttered, with a roomy, natural sounding mix that flatters Brad Shepherd's guitars and Mark Kingsmill's drums more than the slicker, sterile sound of Blow Your Cool! Magnum Cum Louder proved that the Hoodoo Gurus knew better than anyone how to make a great Hoodoo Gurus album, and it marked a welcome return to form for the band.
My niece graduated college magna cum laude yesterday and it made me think of this album.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hoodoo-magnum.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2565852  
postrokfan likes this.
post #66834 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
The Smiths is the debut studio album by the English rock band The Smiths, released in 1984.

The sleeve for The Smiths was designed by Morrissey. It features American actor Joe Dallesandro in a cropped still from Andy Warhol's 1968 film Flesh.

Paul Carrack (Roxy Music, Squeeze) plays piano, organ on "Reel Around the Fountain", "You've Got Everything Now", "I Don't Owe You Anything".

Steven Patrick Morrissey, professionally known as Morrissey, is an English singer, songwriter and author. He rose to prominence as the lead singer of the indie rock band the Smiths, which was active from 1982 to 1987. Since then, Morrissey has had a solo career, making the top ten of the UK Singles Chart on ten occasions.

In 2013, the Staples Center agreed for the first time ever to make every vendor in the area 100% vegetarian for Morrissey's performance, closing all McDonald's vendors close down. Morrissey stated, "I don't look upon it as a victory for me, but a victory for the animals". The request was previously denied to Paul McCartney.
post #66835 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 199
recently acquired nice clean copy Spinning now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	60082082_2389179057768601_4491961541603622912_o.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	698.7 KB
ID:	2565880  
RagtopFE likes this.

Project Classic SB, Sumiko Amythest, Project DS Tube
Yamaha RX-A3050
Sony X800, Xbox one, HTPC
Sony 930 E
SVS Ultra Towers, SVS SB200, Polk center (need to replace), Paridigm studio 60v3
post #66836 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2038 Post(s)
Liked: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The Outlaws - '61 Breakout

FYI, this is Ritchie Blackmore's band before Deep Purple. I had no idea what it was. I thought I was playing The Outlaws (southern rock band from the 70s). Instead I get an English instrumental surfer guitar band. Quite good if you like this sort of thing.
drh3b and Fifty-Fifty like this.
post #66837 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tom Petty

Wildflowers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tom Petty - Wildflowers .jpg
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	2565934  

Spoiler!
post #66838 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

m1ke+The meChan1C5

(CD)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	m1ke+The meChan1C5 (CD).jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2565942  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #66839 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 4773
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post
Sweetwater
Saw them back in '68 or '69 at the Arizona State Fair. They performed in a large tent. Lead singer Nancy Nevens had a fantastic voice. Unfortunately she was involved in a car crash and severely damaged her vocal chords. Her version of Motherless Child is the gold standard. If it wasn't for that accident this group would have been big.
RagtopFE likes this.
post #66840 of 67443 Old 05-12-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Van Morrison Live At The Grand Opera House Belfast. My personal favorite Van Morrison Live Album.
Great. But I actually prefer, A Night in San Francisco

All The Music In The World > NAD C388
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page