Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now - Page 2247 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 212647Likes
Closed Thread

post #67381 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Lydia Ainsworth - Phantom Forest, CD. Kate Bush is an easy reference here. Worth checking out. Another of the '80's sounding albums I've come across lately.
Morgan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #67382 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Flub - Flub (2019)
Click image for larger version

Name:	71EMfVL7WrL_1560119971764._SS500_.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2578110

If your into technical/progressive metal this is really worth a listen!
post #67383 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 6455
Causa Sui - Vibraciones Doradas

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #67384 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Johnny Winter - Johnny Winter And, 44.1/16 FLAC. Completely awesome. What every Rock band wants to sound like when it grows up.
Morgan.
post #67385 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 4260
Thumbs up

Down To My Last Habit Vince Gill(CD)
post #67386 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 3866
Charlie Daniels

Honey In The Rock
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Charlie Daniels - Honey In The Rock LP.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	2578134  

Spoiler!
post #67387 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 21986
vinyl

Quote:
Bourbon Rain is the seventh album by Andy Hawk and the Train Wreck Endings, released in 2018.
My favorite band for the past few years... local friends... great tunes.

Sipping bourbon tonight while a much needed rain is falling outside.

Autographed
DanPackMan, Class A and morgiastic like this.
post #67388 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Out of Sight is an album of early recordings from Johnny Winter, released in 1987.

Beginning in 1969, the first of numerous Johnny Winter albums was released which were cobbled together from approximately fifteen singles (about 30 "sides") he recorded before signing with Columbia in 1969. Many were produced by Roy Ames, owner of Home Cooking Records/Clarity Music Publishing, who had briefly managed Winter. Ames died on August 14, 2003, of natural causes at age 66. As Ames left no obvious heirs, the ownership rights of the Ames master recordings remains unclear. As Winter stated in an interview when the subject of Roy Ames came up, "This guy has screwed so many people it makes me mad to even talk about him."

Throughout his career, Winter was dogged by bootleg recordings and unauthorized re-releases of singles from his early pre-Columbia Records days. According to one biographer, only about fifteen percent of Winter's commercially available recordings are legitimate, leaving 85 percent that he had no control over.

Rateyourmusic says "Another day,another Roy C. Ames ripoff job release of Winter's early material. For completists or those wishing to hear very early Johnny Winter pre stardom."
post #67389 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 5383

Dead Kennedys-Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Sept. 1980

File under: Hardcore, Punk

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004
Office: DefTech Demand D9, Cambridge Audio SR20, Lenovo ideapad, AQ Dragonfly Red
Living Room: 3 x KEF Q150, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #67390 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 PM

Mavis Staples - We Get By, CD. Still loving it. So much great music coming out these days. Inspired me to throw on:
Mavis Staples - If All I Was Was Black, 96/24 FLAC. A great album, for sure. Haven't listened to it enough.
Morgan.
PlanetAVS, Class A and Matt2026 like this.
post #67391 of 67444 Old 06-09-2019, 11:31 PM

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love, SACD (AP). Think I'm down for the Stereo and Mono and then bed time.
Morgan.
post #67392 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 12724
Gentle Giant - Octopus

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #67393 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 29022
JEFF BECK | truth

post #67394 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 12724
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #67395 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
The Bowie Variations for Piano is an album by Mike Garson, released in 2011.

Garson was David Bowie’s longest and most frequent band member. They performed together for both Bowie's first and last concerts in the United States as well as 1,000 concerts around the globe in between.

Garson provided the piano and keyboard backing on the Ziggy Stardust tour of 1972-73 and his contribution to the song "Aladdin Sane" (1973) gave the song an avant-garde jazz feel with lengthy and sometimes atonal piano solos.
I had told Bowie about the avant-garde thing. When I was recording the "Aladdin Sane" track for Bowie, it was just two chords, an A and a G chord, and the band was playing very simple English rock and roll. And Bowie said: 'play a solo on this.' I had just met him, so I played a blues solo, but then he said: 'No, that's not what I want.' And then I played a Latin solo. Again, Bowie said: 'No no, that's not what I want.' He then continued: 'You told me you play that avant-garde music. Play that stuff!' And I said: 'Are you sure? 'Cause you might not be working anymore!'. So I did the solo that everybody knows today, in one take. And to this day, I still receive emails about it. Every day. I always tell people that Bowie is the best producer I ever met, because he lets me do my thing.
David Bowie:
It is pointless to talk about his ability as a pianist. He is exceptional. However, there are very, very few musicians, let alone pianists, who natuarally understand the movement and free thinking necessary to hurl themselves into experimental or traditional areas of music, sometimes, ironically, at the same time. Mike does this with such enthusiasm that it makes my heart glad just to be in the same room with him.
Garson engaged in his own solo career as a jazz pianist. He is regarded in the industry as one of the very few 'rock' pianists capable of performing extended piano solos. He remains one of the most highly sought-after session musicians with a unique sound of his own. In 1998, Garson joined The Smashing Pumpkins for their Adore tour, playing piano, keyboards and synthesizer. His piano playing was an integral part of the Pumpkins' performance. After the tour, he joined The Smashing Pumpkins guitarist Billy Corgan on his solo effort.

In November 2006, Mike accompanied Bowie and Alicia Keys during a unique performance of "Changes" at an AIDS benefit in New York City which ended up being Bowie's final public U.S. performance.

A comprehensive biography of Garson's life and career to date was published in 2015, under the title Bowie's Piano Man: The Life of Mike Garson. Garson and his wife have two daughters and seven grandchildren. They lived in Bell Canyon, California where Garson had his recording studio, until the 1998 Woolsey California Fires hit, leveling both Garson's home and studio to the ground. Mike and fellow David Bowie band alumni began touring in 2018 with their new show A Bowie Celebration: The David Bowie Alumni Tour and continues the tour in 2019.
Autographed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garson Mike.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	2578284  
post #67396 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Too Late To Turn Back Now is an album by Drivin' n Cryin', re-released from 1997.

In 1997, gas cost $1.19 a gallon, and Drivin N Cryin is a three-piece band comprised of founding members Kevn Kinney on vocals/guitar and Tim Nielsen on bass/mandolin, along with Jeff Sullivan on drums. This record had a short life on radio, with their cover of John Denver’s “Leaving on a Jet Plane” getting some airplay in Alabama. Why this album went relatively unnoticed is a mystery. Now, 21 years later, the record has a title, new cover art (courtesy of Kosmo Vinyl himself), and momentum. With newly remastered songs, the album still holds true to who they are as a band. It’s even being released on vinyl for the first time. A quote from tour manager, Scott Munn, gives insight into the climate surrounding that time. “The band was firing on all cylinders going into the studio, and there was a feeling that *this* was their truest representation and the record they had always wanted to make.”

Eponymously released in 1997, Too Late To Turn Back Now! has been released on vinyl for the first time, and it documents a period of change from the Atlanta-based rockers. As leader Kevn Kinney relates, this era “…is who I am. Gone are the major labels. Gone are the tour buses.” So instead of big studios (and big bills) Drivin’ N Cryin’ – at this point a trio with Kinney on vocals and guitars, Jeff Sullivan on drums and bassist Tim Nielsen – encamped in a hot, small studio in Atlanta’s hip mecca of Little Five Points with Clash producer and video artist Kosmo Vinyl, intending to record a single. One thing led to another, and soon, they had an album’s worth of material.

And good stuff too. Opening with “Keepin’ It Close To My Heart”, Kinney’s endearing knack of creating arena-rock folk songs triumphs, and the record’s 12 tracks are full of punky energy (“Paid in Full”, Let Lenny B”), Byrdish odes (“Everything’s Gonna Be Alright”) and a faithful rip thru John Denver’s “Leaving On A Jet Plane”, and like most of Kinney’s best material you’d be at a loss to pinpoint the year.

While not reaching the heights of earlier work such as Mystery Road or Fly Me Courageous, Too Late To Turn Back Now! deserved a better fate than some forgotten shelf in a used CD store, and now with a new title and cover art (by Kosmo Vinyl), and a great-sounding vinyl edition, it joins Drivin’ N Cryin’s solid discography, further illustrating how this little band from Atlanta has survived and persevered all these years – with great songs, catchy hooks and a lot of heart. Long may Drivin’ N Cryin’ reign!

D-R-I-V-I-N-N-Cryin'!
I'm taking my family on a 12-hour road trip to visit my dad this weekend for Father's Day.

But I just booked my own Father's Day present... Drivin' N Cryin', my favorite band from college has a new album coming out next week and is playing just a few miles away on Saturday!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DnC-TooLate.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	2578324  
Matt2026 and morgiastic like this.
post #67397 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Scarred But Smarter is the debut album by Drivin' n Cryin', released in 1986.

The band was formed in 1985 in Atlanta. Kevn Kinney hooked up with Frank French at Frank's recording studio, working on his original songs there at night. Kinney had just moved to Georgia from Milwaukee and was working in a sewage treatment plant by day while playing folk gigs by night.

The band’s name, Drivin’ N’ Cryin’, was chosen from one of Kevn’s many songs that reflected the two directions of their music.

They signed with indie label 688 Records in 1986 after becoming one of Atlanta’s top club draws. Their first album, Scarred But Smarter, was an instant hit and landed them countless tour dates and later a contract with Island Records. In 1987, Jeff Sullivan was recruited just in time to accompany them for their first major-label release. Sullivan had been the drummer for The Black Crowes, prior to joining Drivin' 'N' Cryin'.

AllMusic Review by Denise Sullivan:
A strong debut from the Atlanta rock band that is by no means mired in the dodgy, processed production sounds that marred so many records released in this period. A cross between punky hard rock and bluegrass, the band would later refine their direction, but the title track and "Another Scarlet Butterfly" are great showcases for songwriter Kinney's budding career as the voice for a new generation of Southern rockers.
Uke chords for title track:
Am F C G (x4)
F C G Am (x4)

Love, love, love this album.
Class A likes this.
post #67398 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
The Secret Value of Daydreaming is the second studio album by singer–songwriter Julian Lennon, released in 1986.

Phil Ramone – Producer
Billy Joel – Piano on "You Get What You Want"

John Charles Julian Lennon (age 56) is a British musician and photographer. He is the first child of John Lennon to his first wife Cynthia. Initially, the fact that John Lennon was married and had a child was concealed from the public, in keeping with the conventional wisdom of the era that female teenage fans would not be as enamoured of married male pop stars.

Lennon inspired one of his father's most famous songs, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", whose lyrics describe a picture the boy had drawn, a watercolour painting of his friend Lucy O'Donnell from nursery school surrounded by stars. Another composition of his father inspired by him was the lullaby "Good Night", the closing song of the White Album. Following his father's infidelity with Yoko Ono, Lennon's parents divorced when he was five. Paul McCartney wrote "Hey Jude" to console him over the divorce; originally called "Hey Jules", McCartney changed the name because he thought that "Jude" was an easier name to sing.
Autographed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lennon Julian.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	2578348  
Matt2026 likes this.
post #67399 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Whisper Tames The Lion is the second album by Drivin' n' Cryin', released in 1988.

The band was formed in 1985 in Atlanta. Kevn Kinney hooked up with Frank French at Frank's recording studio. Kinney had just moved to Georgia from Milwaukee and was working in a sewage treatment plant by day while playing folk gigs by night.

They signed with indie label 688 Records in 1986 after becoming one of Atlanta’s top club draws. Their first album, Scarred But Smarter, was an instant hit and landed them countless tour dates and later a contract with Island Records. Jeff Sullivan had been the drummer for the band that later became The Black Crowes. R.E.M’s guitar tech and touring rhythm guitarist Buren Fowler (June 29, 1959 – March 8, 2014) joined the trio at this time as well.

AllMusic Review by Denise Sullivan: "Still inflected with hillbilly/bluegrass roots and edging ever closer toward the hard rock sound they would ultimately embrace, this album was produced by New York No Wave drummer Anton Fier. It offers a good mix of both styles, as on the steady title cut, the hard-rocking boogie "Powerhouse," and gentle "The Friend Song," an anthem of sorts for the band's college-age fans throughout the South."

In 2015, Drivin n Cryin was inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame.
post #67400 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Magpie and the Dandelion is the eighth studio album by folk rock group The Avett Brothers, released in 2013.

The album was produced by Rick Rubin who produced their previous two full-length studio albums.

The album debuted at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 albums chart on its first week of release. It also debuted at No. 1 on Folk Albums and No. 3 on Rock Albums chart.

Benmont Tench, Tom Petty's keyboardist, played organ on three tracks. Lenny Castro (Toto) played percussion. Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers) played drums on track 2.

The Avett Brothers combine bluegrass, country, punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, indie rock, honky tonk, and ragtime to produce a novel sound described by the San Francisco Chronicle as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones."

Rolling Stone magazine review:
The Avett Brothers’ eighth LP came out of the same Rick Rubin-helmed sessions that produced last year’s The Carpenter, on which they deepened their mix of rootsy authenticity and pop polish. More hard-bitten and somberly reflective, Magpie exposes lyrics that tilt into hokey romanticism. But the craft is automatic, whether on the bluegrass-fed Weezerian rocker “Another Is Waiting” or the acoustic weeper “Apart From Me.” Rubin’s influence shines on “Vanity,” a song about ambition and self-doubt, where rumbling power chords light a fire under piano-ballad Sturm und Drang — Elton John grandeur with a Paul Westerberg rasp.
post #67401 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Brothers Johnson: Right on Time

LG 65E6P | Parasound A51 | Anthem AVM 60 | B&W 803D, HTM2D2 | Anticables
Oppo UDP-203 for transport | Clearaudio Performance DC Wood for analogue | Mac mini for streaming
Roon for music catalogue | Plex for video catalogue
post #67402 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Family Style is the only studio album by the Vaughan Brothers, released in 1990.

The album features the brethren guitarists and vocalists, Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughan, in their only studio collaboration. In his early years, Stevie Ray Vaughan often remarked that he would like to do an album with his brother. He fulfilled that wish in his very last studio performance, which was released nearly a month after his death. The liner notes end with "Thanks Mama V. for letting us play."

In 1969, Jimmie Vaughan's group opened for The Jimi Hendrix Experience in Fort Worth, Texas. Vaughan lent Jimi Hendrix his Vox Wah-wah pedal which Hendrix ended up breaking. In return, Hendrix gave Vaughan his own touring Wah-wah pedal. The Fabulous Thunderbirds first four albums, released between 1979 and 1983, are ranked among the most important 'white blues' recordings.

Stevie Ray died in a helicopter crash along with three members of Eric Clapton's entourage in East Troy, Wisconsin, on August 27, 1990.

In 2015, Stevie Ray Vaughan was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
I saw Jimmie open for Clapton.
I happened to wear that concert t-shirt this weekend. 1994... 25 years ago.
And it's probably not even the oldest shirt in my closet.
post #67403 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Gojira - From Mars to Sirius (2005)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51CQ1IO4EQL.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2578566  
post #67404 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
vinyl

My favorite band for the past few years... local friends... great tunes.

Sipping bourbon tonight while a much needed rain is falling outside.

Autographed

Listened two a bit of this one on my ride home today. This album is growing on me, in a good way.
Clarence likes this.
post #67405 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM

Mathew Sweet - Tomorrow's Daughter, CD. 2018 release of material apparently left over from the previous year's Tomorrow Forever, but I have found it more enjoyable. A strong, seemingly cohesive collection of guitar-forward mid-temp rockers. Benefits from a bit of volume.
Morgan.
post #67406 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Listened two a bit of this one on my ride home today. This album is growing on me, in a good way.
Glad you gave it a listen! Even if I didn't know them, it's my kind of music. If you get a chance, read the lyrics while listening... some good songwriting.

And sticking with my ad-hoc brothers theme today, Paul and Chuck, the guitar player and bass player are brothers.
post #67407 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Brothers of the Road is the eighth studio album, and tenth album overall, by the rock group the Allman Brothers Band, released in 1981.

The song "Straight from the Heart" was the group's third (and last) Top 40 hit.

AllMusic Review:
By the time the 1980s rolled around, the Allman Brothers had endured such a tumultuous ride the decade prior, that almost all of the air was let out of their musical tires by the time Brothers of the Road hit the record stands. Many of the elements of the Allman Brothers' sound remain intact here, but there are several things lacking that make this a less than essential album. The raw, rugged jams with climatic buildups and blistering guitar workouts have been substituted for a glossier, more pop-friendly sheen (thanks in no part to Clive Davis' involvement with the group at the time). And while "Straight From the Heart" saw a reasonable campaign on the charts, the rest of the album is tepid at best.

Shortly thereafter, the Allman Brothers decided to hang it up again. This is one only truly dedicated fans and collectors should seek to add to their collection.
Autographed by Gregg Allman (December 8, 1947 – May 27, 2017) and drummer Butch Trucks (May 11, 1947 – January 24, 2017).
kevin j, gprace, PlanetAVS and 2 others like this.
post #67408 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LARRY CORYELL | barefoot boy

post #67409 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 24233
10,000 MANIACS
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .mtv unplugged

(Amazon Prime)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10,000 MANIACS mtv unplugged (Amazon Prime).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2578610  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1.) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Aircom T-8, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #67410 of 67444 Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB | b.r.m.c.

gillcup, PooperScooper and gprace like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page