Harman Kardon DMC1000 thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #211 of 224 Old 07-11-2017, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by manerac View Post
In case anyone else out there is still trying to keep their DMC1000 alive:

When my power supply died recently I replaced it with a Mini ITX computer supply (FSP Group FSP270-60LE) I picked up for ~$10 on ebay. I had to remove the supply from the case, and it took a bit of hacking to fit it in the DMC case, but it did the trick.

Also, the remote control had stopped working a while before the supply died. While I had it apart I probed the IR sensor with an o-scope while pressing the remote buttons and saw no response. Then I wiped the sensor off and it started working. I'm pretty sure I removed a tin whisker growing from the IR sensor frame to one of the terminals. I coated the terminals with nail polish for insurance.

John
Hi, manerac.

I just read your post on this old thread regarding the replacement of the power supply in the HK DMC 1000. Is it holding up? Has it affected the acoustic signature in any way? I may go this same route as you have if I can't find original power supply replacements for my HK DMC 1000 units. I really do not wish to replace the HK units, if I can find a work around to revive it. Can you give me a heads up on the steps you took to replace the power supply? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 224 Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizmanJoe View Post
Hi. I know this is an older unit, but I have to ask. Does ANYONE here know where I can get replacement power supply modules for the HK DMC 1000 units? I have two DMC 1000's and they have both failed after serving me faithfully for a few years. The culprit - burnt power supply module.

I have auditioned other Digital Media Centers, but came away dissatisfied with the sound, as well as the cosmetic look. What I liked so much about the HK DMC 1000 units were the richness of the midrange... a "bloom" in just the right frequencies to give it a rich, almost buttery tube-like output that I can't seem to find in other units under $2000. It was also a very "pretty" unit and I fell in love with the DMC 1000 acoustically as well as visually.

I would really prefer to locate and replace the power supply modules (maybe even rebuild them if possible?) then purchase another unit. Yes, I know the HDD is only 250GB, but that is okay by me as I can add external HDD through the USB ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you check out the posts right above yours??? 4 years ago
When my unit failed the repair shop told me parts for the
DMC-1000 where difficult/ impossible to find. I'm lucky my 2 units
Are working well. I leave them unplugged when not in use.
Best of luck.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #213 of 224 Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Hi, manerac.

I just read your post on this old thread regarding the replacement of the power supply in the HK DMC 1000. Is it holding up? Has it affected the acoustic signature in any way? I may go this same route as you have if I can't find original power supply replacements for my HK DMC 1000 units. I really do not wish to replace the HK units, if I can find a work around to revive it. Can you give me a heads up on the steps you took to replace the power supply? Thank you in advance.
Check for bulging capacitors on the power supply. The capacitor plague is a known issue, although I think the DMC-1000 is newer than the plague. An electronics repair guru should be able to fix a power supply!

I doubt HK made the power supply. Check for all identifying marks and Google the heck out of them.

The Yamaha MCX-2000 has a tiny power supply that might work and is available. I had both an MCX-2000 and DMC-1000 and found both to have similarly excellent sound.

I suspect manerac's idea will not impact sound quality and is a cheap fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 224 Old 07-11-2017, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post

I've been ripping my CD's to a Mac Mini as a back up
If my dmc bites it. Looking at JRiver too.

I also have a Yamaha CDR-HD1500 with all my music
Stored on it. The GUI isn't near as nice as the HK's though.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...1500_black__u/

>sharp intake of breath< that's such a beautiful photograph!!

Greetings and apologies, because I really have no business in this thread. Never even heard of the H/K DMC1000 before, but now I've looked it up and learning about its cataloguing abilities. I guess it was internet-connected then?

This really matters to me because I still have a couple hundred CDs which I'd dearly love to have ripped and catalogued. A few years ago I paid up for the premium version of Winamp which I really liked but the next month it went defunct and lost access to the Gracenote music database. Which access never returned

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377496

It's simply impractical to catalogue your CD tracks manually. I've done it a few times and it takes forever. Is there a (preferably software-based) alternative that people like around here? I'm on Android & Windows FWIW. TIA.

I really liked what Winamp became before it shut down. I still have it on my computers.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. --John Ruskin
post #215 of 224 Old 07-11-2017, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post

>sharp intake of breath< that's such a beautiful photograph!!

Greetings and apologies, because I really have no business in this thread. Never even heard of the H/K DMC1000 before, but now I've looked it up and learning about its cataloguing abilities. I guess it was internet-connected then?

This really matters to me because I still have a couple hundred CDs which I'd dearly love to have ripped and catalogued. A few years ago I paid up for the premium version of Winamp which I really liked but the next month it went defunct and lost access to the Gracenote
music database. Which access never returned

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=377496

It's simply impractical to catalogue your CD tracks manually. I've done it a few times and it takes forever. Is there a (preferably software-based) alternative that people like around here? I'm on Android & Windows FWIW. TIA.

I really liked what Winamp became before it shut down. I still have it on my computers.
You should give JRiver for Windows a try. Download the latest version
And I believe I comes with a 30-day free trial. Very powerful
Software.
Archguy likes this.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #216 of 224 Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setter View Post
Check for bulging capacitors on the power supply. The capacitor plague is a known issue, although I think the DMC-1000 is newer than the plague. An electronics repair guru should be able to fix a power supply!

I doubt HK made the power supply. Check for all identifying marks and Google the heck out of them.

The Yamaha MCX-2000 has a tiny power supply that might work and is available. I had both an MCX-2000 and DMC-1000 and found both to have similarly excellent sound.

I suspect manerac's idea will not impact sound quality and is a cheap fix.
Thank you for your input. I will pull the power supply module and look for all the identifying marks. I had it at a local shop and they had it for 5 months trying to reorder the proper power supply. The tech retired and I got the units back without a fix. If I can't get the parts and rebuild (maybe even upgrade the capacitors better units), then I will go with manerac's solution. Beautiful photo... speaking of which, after years of searching I finally acquired and am putting together an 80's classic system consisting of all Technics components (SL-P8, SU-A6, SE-A5, RS-M95 and the unique Space Dimension Controller SH-8040 all in absolute MINT condition. All I need now is SH-8020 or SH-8055 in mint condition to complete the component selection.
post #217 of 224 Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your input. I will pull the power supply module and look for all the identifying marks. I had it at a local shop and they had it for 5 months trying to reorder the proper power supply. The tech retired and I got the units back without a fix. If I can't get the parts and rebuild (maybe even upgrade the capacitors better units), then I will go with manerac's solution. Beautiful photo... speaking of which, after years of searching I finally acquired and am putting together an 80's classic system consisting of all Technics components (SL-P8, SU-A6, SE-A5, RS-M95 and the unique Space Dimension Controller SH-8040 all in absolute MINT condition. All I need now is SH-8020 or SH-8055 in mint condition to complete the component selection.
Post some photos of your HK power supply. Maybe one of us can ID from another unit. Sometimes the Service Manual will state the part number of the manufacture in the description in the parts list. I love this kind of challenge.
post #218 of 224 Old 08-28-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by setter View Post
Post some photos of your HK power supply. Maybe one of us can ID from another unit. Sometimes the Service Manual will state the part number of the manufacture in the description in the parts list. I love this kind of challenge.
Hi, again.

I will post detailed pics sometime this week. Had many projects to deal with and am finally getting around to the DMC 1000 units. Those HK DMC units had the sweetest sound with a delicious midrange warmth compared to other media centers I have listened to. I really wish HK would bring out another dmc series to follow up with the 1000 series they discontinued.
post #219 of 224 Old 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM

Hk dmc 1000 revival

I learned after a long period of both of my DMC units' demise that the DMC 1000 is basically a PC internally. After both my DMC 1000 units had failed, I was distraught for quite a while as I could not get the units repaired.

To make a long story short, a couple years later I opened up the units after having read a post about replacing the power supply. When I examined the boards and connectors - sure enough, I noted the "ATX" logo on the internal board plug from the power supply. I happily went to a local computer shop and purchased two older ATX power supplies and once fitted in and plugged in... walla!!!! Both of my failed DMC units came back to life. I'm loving it!!!! The DMC units have a unique warm audio signature that I could not find in other units is why I was so distraught - plus, they are very pretty units to look at. SO HAPPY!!!

Quote:
Hi. I know this is an older unit, but I have to ask. Does ANYONE here know where I can get replacement power supply modules for the HK DMC 1000 units? I have two DMC 1000's and they have both failed after serving me faithfully for a few years. The culprit - burnt power supply module.

I have auditioned other Digital Media Centers, but came away dissatisfied with the sound, as well as the cosmetic look. What I liked so much about the HK DMC 1000 units were the richness of the midrange... a "bloom" in just the right frequencies to give it a rich, almost buttery tube-like output that I can't seem to find in other units under $2000. It was also a very "pretty" unit and I fell in love with the DMC 1000 acoustically as well as visually.

I would really prefer to locate and replace the power supply modules (maybe even rebuild them if possible?) then purchase another unit. Yes, I know the HDD is only 250GB, but that is okay by me as I can add external HDD through the USB ports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
natchie likes this.
post #220 of 224 Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I learned after a long period of both of my DMC units' demise that the DMC 1000 is basically a PC internally. After both my DMC 1000 units had failed, I was distraught for quite a while as I could not get the units repaired.

To make a long story short, a couple years later I opened up the units after having read a post about replacing the power supply. When I examined the boards and connectors - sure enough, I noted the "ATX" logo on the internal board plug from the power supply. I happily went to a local computer shop and purchased two older ATX power supplies and once fitted in and plugged in... walla!!!! Both of my failed DMC units came back to life. I'm loving it!!!! The DMC units have a unique warm audio signature that I could not find in other units is why I was so distraught - plus, they are very pretty units to look at. SO HAPPY!!!
Could you possibly share that ATX part number and a picture please??
natchie likes this.

post #221 of 224 Old 10-02-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry anyone has an image

of this 250gb hdd ? My HK DMC1000 which I bought in USA in 2010 have problem with HDD. Hard drive is clicking and cannot be cloned my Acronis USB Bootable stick
Have latest 04.06.04 firmware CD but its useless now.

Any help to put image on some ftp/share site ?

Thanks
post #222 of 224 Old 12-18-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi all,

I have a DMC1000, I believe refurbished by HK, unit that has been sitting in a closet for probably the past 10 years and I'm trying to determine what if anything to do with it.

Is anyone still using this unit and does it have any use in a current setup? I have all my CDs and DVDs ripped to a NAS and stream audio through a Sonic Orbiter to a DAC onto my AVP. I currently don't stream video very often but would use either an old Oppo BDP-95 or Panasonic UB-900 to do so.

At this point, I would probably donate or try to get a few $ out of it on Ebay unless there's a compelling reason to hook it back up.

Thanks,
Marty
natchie likes this.

Last edited by maxfli; 12-18-2019 at 10:04 AM.
post #223 of 224 Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM

I have the software update v 4.6.4. Send me a link and I will upload it to your FTP. It is 211MB zipped!
post #224 of 224 Old 01-07-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadeo View Post
of this 250gb hdd ? My HK DMC1000 which I bought in USA in 2010 have problem with HDD. Hard drive is clicking and cannot be cloned my Acronis USB Bootable stick
Have latest 04.06.04 firmware CD but its useless now.

Any help to put image on some ftp/share site ?

Thanks

I have the software update v 4.6.4. Send me a link and I will upload it to your FTP. It is 211MB zipped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page