Signal Cable vs. Reality Cable listening impressions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
trying to decide which of these two to go with for interconnects and speaker wire.

anyone heard signal cable or reality cables offerings in action?

listening impressions?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Buy both - compare to what you are using now - pick your favorite - tell us what it is - return the other(s)

Everything I say here is my opinion. It is not my employers opinion, it is not my wife's opinion, it is not my neighbors opinion, it is My Opinion.
post #3 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump4545 View Post

trying to decide which of these two to go with for interconnects and speaker wire.

listening impressions?

thanks

Which ever way you decide, try to keep the cables from the same firm throughout the system for a better synergy. Nothing wrong in min-n-match. I have Signal Cables throughout my system and am very happy with them.
Sorry I cannot compare them with Reality cables, as I have not used them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"Synergy" in cables now. Oh, wait! I have Synergy. All my cables are stamped 'BELDEN". Haven forbid I use a brand other than Belden. What would happen if an inner connect found out I had a Storm cable in there. It could get an attitude and make the music ugly to spite me. Maybe that is why I could not hear any magic with the Kimber 8tc, it knew I had Tara interconnects. (both replaced by RG79 or RG8)
post #5 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

7th degree Synergy can ONLY be achieved using Canare cables. Belden is an also ran. (TVG, you interested in that bridge we spoke about?)

OK I have to admit the idea of cable synergy amuses me no end.

Please tell us you do have the cables laying on satin padded risers to maintain the maximum slope of 6% grade.
post #6 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

anyone heard cables?
listening impressions?

stump,

Your not going to get many helpful answers regarding cable auditions here. So I will give you my best advice. If you are interested in high priced cabling, buy what catches your eye, that's right, the cables that look best and buy them used.

Or find an audio shop that has demo cables that you may take home and try in your system. In my experience cables do not make an audible difference in my system. You're familiar with my system...I have tried like hell and auditioned a few and nada, nothing, no soundstage growth, no WOW what a difference these cables make. If they make a .05% difference I can't hear it. You just finished building your system, I would suggest purchasing a bunch of new music and buy the least expensive good looking cables you can find.
post #7 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM

stump4545,
(as K Shep mentioned below) it looks like this may not be the right forum/site to post your question regarding audio. I wish tvrgeek and Gizmologist replied to your question rather than try to correct me. And surprisingly, no one has bit on the "WOW..." thread that I posted on today.

Try audiogon.com and audioasylum.com.

But hey, here's the best part. Visit this forum once in a while to instigate this "bunch". They defend their territory like crazy and cannot "hear" any differences. I can't blame them. At their age they start loosing their senses and "hearing" happens to be the first one Tomorrow they will tell you to buy a Dodge Neon VS BMW M5, since both cars do the same job of taking you from point A to point B. And they will add that any "engineer" knows that all specs being equal, both car are the same
post #8 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

listening impressions?

thanks

For speaker wire, I've yet to do an a/b comparison as it takes some serious work to do that.

For interconnect wire (RCA), it is easier, see: https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=diy

My post #86 in that thread is my bottom line subjective opinion on the subject of interconnect cable sound difference(s) vs cost vs convenience (ability to grip the cable ends when you need to pull them out), as well as ease of being able to make them.

The last post in that thread, by goros, may or may not have some merit.
It does represent a dominant viewpoint by many AVS posters.

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #9 of 95 Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Home Depot and Lowe's carry low voltage lighting cable that is every bit as good electrically (The ONLY thing that matters) as the highest priced, hyperbole enhanced, sucker targeted, yogurt immersed, magnetically encompassed, longitudinally massaged, speaker cable available.

Stp for a moment and think about the guts of the system. Everything INSIDE the source system and AVR are off the shelf components and hook up wire using mass produced flow soldered PCBs. Why on earth and exactly HOW can a piece of wire of sufficient awg to handle the max current usable by the speakers do anything more than the amp itself?

This has been covered ad nauseum and not one single person nationwide has EVER actually successfully proven the high dollar cable claims because it cannot be done.

Salesmen do NOT change the laws of physics.
post #10 of 95 Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Giz,
Cables can make things worse. Gauge is not the name of the game, but balance between inductive and capacitive reactance is.

One more truth to your last comment:
If two things sound different, at least one of them is wrong.

BTY, I actually bought the Kimber to reduce an bad interference problem we had with an illegal high power CB radio. Worked well. I eventually tracked him down and as he had no respect for the issues he was causing, "pined" his coax. Problem solved. Much smoke.
post #11 of 95 Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

Home Depot and Lowe's carry low voltage lighting cable that is every bit as good electrically (The ONLY thing that matters) as the highest priced, hyperbole enhanced, sucker targeted, yogurt immersed, magnetically encompassed, longitudinally massaged, speaker cable available.

Stp for a moment and think about the guts of the system. Everything INSIDE the source system and AVR are off the shelf components and hook up wire using mass produced flow soldered PCBs. Why on earth and exactly HOW can a piece of wire of sufficient awg to handle the max current usable by the speakers do anything more than the amp itself?

This has been covered ad nauseum and not one single person nationwide has EVER actually successfully proven the high dollar cable claims because it cannot be done.

Salesmen do NOT change the laws of physics.

I have had major problems with Home Depot’s lamp cord. Problem, I live right next to the beach and because of the moisture in the air the POS cable oxides...it turns black That was enough and went out and purchased some speaker cables. No more problems for me.
post #12 of 95 Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have over 1000 ft installed outside a home in Malibu for exterior speakers, I have it in a couple customer homes in Pacific palisades and 4 here in the high desert.

No problems at all. The cable is buried AND exposed to salt and air and sunlight.
post #13 of 95 Old 12-29-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, I was speaking of their lamp cord. But then, I wouldn’t use LV cable for my speakers. I would think that would act like an antenna? What gauge is it?
post #14 of 95 Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Isn't sending somebody who's wondering about the sound of cable to audiogon or audioasylum kind of like sending someone with a gambling problem to Charles Barkley?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #15 of 95 Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

I would think that would act like an antenna?

No different than any other cable of same geometry.

“You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.” Chuck Palahniuk
post #16 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

Isn't sending somebody who's wondering about the sound of cable to audiogon or audioasylum kind of like sending someone with a gambling problem to Charles Barkley?

No, it's like sending an alcoholic to a bar. It's not good for him, but at least he'll feel at home.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #17 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

the POS cable oxides...it turns black

This happens to all copper.
post #18 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 AM

Chu Gai and mcnarus, at least I provided the OP with an answer and links. This is much better than getting him confused!!
The thing I get about this forum is most of the folks like you are frustrated souls. Rather than providing answers or pointers people get sarcasm. I understand that it can be very frustrating when you grow old and loose your hearing. But come on, aging is a normal process dudes!! Get over it.
But hey, I am not complaining. I luv to get on you guy's nerves. See I got u 2 ;-)
post #19 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:

listening impressions?

thanks

I have had both and many others. Reality Cable is good but I have found that Morrow Audio SP3, SP4, SP5 is much better than both for me in my system. They have a good trial period and trade up program too. I like solid core wire better in general. Smaller guage solid core wire in multiple runs would be cheap and a good DIY for some to try. You could use magnet wire and sleeve the positive and negative seperately. Morrow audio uses two different guages of silver coated solid core copper and each is in it's own teflon. The ic's are very good as well. If people can't hear differences in cable offerings then they are lucky and have saved themselves some money. Unfortunetly I hear the differences when swapping cables.
post #20 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

listening impressions?

thanks

Stump, tell me what you hear or fail to hear when you listen to your system...

Steve
post #21 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Yeah, you provided him links, milpai. Right to the funny farms Now he can learn about wires breaking in, cable lifts, and all that good stuff

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #22 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Liked: 16
Here's what you should do:

Buy the most affordable and best-looking cable that meets minimum gauge requirements for the length of run you need to connect your equipment.

Enjoy your system and the money you saved.
post #23 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Yeah, you provided him links, milpai. Right to the funny farms Now he can learn about wires breaking in, cable lifts, and all that good stuff

\\

Chu Gai,
I have enjoyed your sarcastic and witty humor the many times I have visited here at AVS.
I am trying to figure out what your point of being here is?
Is it a game?
Is it a joke?
Since you seem like a smart guy, what aspect of listening to your system is most important to you?

Steve
post #24 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne View Post

This happens to all copper.

Not inside the covering
post #25 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max190 View Post

\\

Chu Gai,
I have enjoyed your sarcastic and witty humor the many times I have visited here at AVS.
I am trying to figure out what your point of being here is?
Is it a game?
Is it a joke?

Why it's so that you can enjoy my sarcastic and witty humor, of course!
Quote:
Since you seem like a smart guy, what aspect of listening to your system is most important to you?

I'm not that smart. I've just got a bul!**** detector is all. Most important? Maybe using it instead of having to resort to doing lines to decompress.

Quote:

Not inside the covering

Depends on the covering and environmental conditions. These aren't gas impermeable coverings after all.

post #26 of 95 Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Depends on the covering and environmental conditions. These aren't gas impermeable coverings after all.

I live by the beach. You would expect a cable to last more then a year before seeing these oxide deposits...again, POS lamp cord from Home Depot.
post #27 of 95 Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 AM

What color(s) were they specifically?

post #28 of 95 Old 12-31-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Read my post above
post #29 of 95 Old 12-31-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Not inside the covering

Yes, depending on what the "covering" is, copper reacts with sulphides, chlorides and oxygen.

Quote:

I live by the beach. You would expect a cable to last more then a year before seeing these oxide deposits

No, I expect copper to behave like copper, and it is. It has nothing to do with home depot.
post #30 of 95 Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1251
Quote:

I have had major problems with Home Depot’s lamp cord. Problem, I live right next to the beach and because of the moisture in the air the POS cable oxides...it turns black

You don't have to live next to the water to have HD cable turn black on you as I've had the same thing happen hear and I live over a mile from the lake.

I buy a 250' roll of 12 gauge every few years, and the one I bought from HD before didn't do this. Bad lot, I guess.

While it is uglier than sin, there aren't any technical problems as long as the actual connecting points stay clean. Mine had dual banana plugs on both ends which stay clean, and have stayed clean under the screws that tighten down the connections.

The black gunk is only on the outside strands, and cleans up with a little fine sandpaper. I've tinned them and soldered them after cleaning, and they stay OK at the connecting points.

In-between doesn't matter because the gunk is all on the outside and there is plenty of copper inside that is still in play.

But it is uglier than sin. Some sort of reaction between the vinyl insulation and the copper wire itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page