Recommendations for a turntable (ack!) changer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Let's get this out of the way first: Turntable changers are the worst, and I'm a horrible person for using one.

But they're also very useful, and I find that I do most of my vinyl listening on my changer (1973 Magnavox console with a micromatic changer), because I can have a stack of records on in the house for more than an hour at a time - great for entertaining or playing with the kids. Unfortunately, the console's line out has crapped out, so I can no longer send the audio to my main AV system.

So the question is, what are some good standalone models I should keep an eye out for? Is there such a thing as a "high-end" changer? I'm obviously not going to find an audiophile-quality unit, but one that sounds good and doesn't destroy my LPs shouldn't be too hard to find. If the cart is upgradable, all the better, but not essential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 165
post #3 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 2410
BSR and Garrard made changers also.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
BSR had an interesting changer mechanism. It had a post that would lift out of the center of the turntable so the records on the bottom met the stack on top; therefore the records would not "drop" onto the one below.

Listen with your EARS, not your SPECS.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-14-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
A local repair guy also recommended Dual. Reasonably easy to find and to service.

Will keep an eye out. Thanks

post #6 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Check eBay or www.fixmydual.com

Bill at fixmydual.com is preparing an iconic Dual 1229Q for me. I had a Dual 1019 back in the day and loved it. The newer (rennovated) model 1229Q is AV friendly and state-of-the-lost-art for modest audiophile needs. Note, the Duals need a phono preamp and Bill has like-new dust covers. I chose the ART DJPreII for about $50.00.

You can Google the changer and you can start at www.fixmydual.com and http://www.dual-reference.com/ to learn about the various models. Of course eBay has many changers available. I chose Bill's offer because renovating and selling Dual TTs are his full time job: chat with him and discuss cartridges and routine maintenance.

YMMV.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post
Let's get this out of the way first: Turntable changers are the worst, and I'm a horrible person for using one.<br><br>
But they're also very useful, and I find that I do most of my vinyl listening on my changer (1973 Magnavox console with a micromatic changer), because I can have a stack of records on in the house for more than an hour at a time - great for entertaining or playing with the kids. Unfortunately, the console's line out has crapped out, so I can no longer send the audio to my main AV system.<br><br>
So the question is, what are some good standalone models I should keep an eye out for? Is there such a thing as a "high-end" changer? I'm obviously not going to find an audiophile-quality unit, but one that sounds good and doesn't destroy my LPs shouldn't be too hard to find. If the cart is upgradable, all the better, but not essential.
The Thorens TD224 is arguably the best record changer ever made.

It puts only one disc at a time on the turntable, and keeps up to 8 others waiting on a separate stack at the side.

It can even mix records of different sizes and sense their size as it loads them.

If you could find one in working order that would be quite a coup. They made 4000 of them in the 1960s.

There is a 7-minute video of one in operation on YouTube.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-26-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page