Sony HAP-Z1ES thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #451 of 616 Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Sony HAP-Z1ES thread

I got it working with Windows 10. Make sure SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is enabled in Windows Features. Since SMB 1.0 is a security risk according to Microsoft, I assume the early January security update disabled it.

To get it enabled again:

1. In the program search bar, type Windows Features

2. Open Windows Features on /off

3. Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and enable it.

4. Reboot

After the above, HAP Music Transfer will work flawlessly and using Windows Explorer with the HAP Z1ES works as it should.

The button to explore the HAP does not work, but it can be accessed other ways such as right clicking the Music Transfer Icon and selecting explore.

Last edited by mwhals; 02-08-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 616 Old 02-08-2018, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
YES! At first glance it didn't appear to be peoblem as the SMB box was ticked, but expanding it revealed the "client" box wasn't selected. BTW, I can access HAP in file explorer (without even starting HAP transfer) directly from "Network".
post #453 of 616 Old 02-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arficus View Post
YES! At first glance it didn't appear to be peoblem as the SMB box was ticked, but expanding it revealed the "client" box wasn't selected. BTW, I can access HAP in file explorer (without even starting HAP transfer) directly from "Network".

I gained complete access to the HAP through file explorer too, so it perfectly works like it did prior to early January 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 616 Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks so much for your effort. I didn't even know abot that "Windows Features" dialogue box. I did a lot of searching looking for other people having similar problem. Can't believe we were the only ones complaining...
mwhals likes this.
post #455 of 616 Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So I am going to keep my Sony HAP Z1ES after considering selling it off But would like to use the XLR connections to my McIntosh C1100 preamp.

But reading this from another site had me wondering....

Quote:
Yes, the Hap-Z1es is fully balanced. However, it inverts phase....pins 2 and 3 are backwards to the American standard. The unbalanced is inverted too. Sony is said to be addressing this issue in a software upgrade soon.

The balanced outs have a different op amp in them and different coupling caps with no bypass caps. The unbalanced outs have better Burr-brown op amps and different caps with small bypass caps. I would think the unbalanced might sound better. Never listened to balanced as I use the unit unbalanced and modified.

My modified units have the phase correct on all outputs.

That was from mid 2014. Does anyone here know if that has been resolved? I assume it has by now. And how would we know if they fixed it?

Thx in advance.
post #456 of 616 Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post
So I am going to keep my Sony HAP Z1ES after considering selling it off But would like to use the XLR connections to my McIntosh C1100 preamp.

But reading this from another site had me wondering....

That was from mid 2014. Does anyone here know if that has been resolved? I assume it has by now. And how would we know if they fixed it?

Thx in advance.

I believe it was addressed by a firmware update

post #457 of 616 Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 67
Thank you Sir!
post #458 of 616 Old 03-08-2018, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Yes, the Hap-Z1es is fully balanced. However, it inverts phase....pins 2 and 3 are backwards to the American standard. The unbalanced is inverted too. Sony is said to be addressing this issue in a software upgrade soon.

The balanced outs have a different op amp in them and different coupling caps with no bypass caps. The unbalanced outs have better Burr-brown op amps and different caps with small bypass caps. I would think the unbalanced might sound better. Never listened to balanced as I use the unit unbalanced and modified.

My modified units have the phase correct on all outputs.

This is very interesting,,, has anyone carried out serious listening comparisons between Balanced and RCA (unbalanced) outs using the same cable version / type.
post #459 of 616 Old 03-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Would be nice if in a Firmware update they add Tidal support. Hi-Res player with Spotify Only. That is a joke now, one of the reasons to buy the unit was the firmware updates, and presumably their showpiece would support hi-res streaming.

Not Yet - come on Sony.

I encourage everyone here to at a minimum review the unit at Sony.com, but mention the Tidal issue.
Tim Glover likes this.
post #460 of 616 Old 03-10-2018, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Is anyone using an outboard dac for the Z1? If so, which one?

post #461 of 616 Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Oppo ha-1, no issues
g_bartman likes this.

Yamaha CX-A5200, ATI AT 2007 Amp, ATI AT 2004 Amp, Klipsch La Scala II- Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers, Antimode Dual Core 2, Oppo UDP-205, MMF-7.1, Tavish Adagio phono pre w/tube power supply, XBox 360, XBox One, Oppo HA-1, and TASCAM DA-3000 SS Recorder, Kramer VS-88A Matrix Switch, Rogue Audio RP-7 preamp, Atlas Magnum II Amp, Sony HAPZ1-ES
post #462 of 616 Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well shoot still unable to transfer anything from ITunes...everything else no prob. ITunes support no help (getting to where I hate anything that starts with an "I"). So maybe I can drag the files over somehow??
post #463 of 616 Old 03-19-2018, 07:40 AM

Sony HAP-Z1ES thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff1 View Post
well shoot still unable to transfer anything from ITunes...everything else no prob. ITunes support no help (getting to where I hate anything that starts with an "I"). So maybe I can drag the files over somehow??

Point your HAP Transfer software to the \users\username\mymusic\itunes\itunes media directory assuming you are using Windows.

Last edited by mwhals; 03-21-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #464 of 616 Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Definitely done that many times, tried every variation thereof...it just won't do it.
post #465 of 616 Old 03-21-2018, 08:51 AM

Sony HAP-Z1ES thread

Quote:
Definitely done that many times, tried every variation thereof...it just won't do it.

Check my post 451 above if you are using Windows 10. That may be your problem.

If not the problem, maybe copy the iTunes music files to another location or directly to the HAP.

Last edited by mwhals; 03-21-2018 at 08:54 AM.
post #466 of 616 Old 03-24-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
Check my post 451 above if you are using Windows 10. That may be your problem.

If not the problem, maybe copy the iTunes music files to another location or directly to the HAP.

Ok how would I do that?
post #467 of 616 Old 03-24-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Ok how would I do that?

Transfer manually? Right click the Music Transfer icon in the notifications area and select Explore HAP. Then you can drag and drop. If you only have read access, then you need to follow the instructions in my post mentioned in my last post.

post #468 of 616 Old 03-24-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I’m with you I have been trying for hours I can’t get iTunes to transfer either.

Basement system: Yamaha 2060, Cambridge Azur 851W, Sony HAP-A1ES, Rega RP-1, B&W CM10S2, B&W CM Centre S2, Cambridge Minx XL,2 JL Audio e112
Upstairs: Yamaha R-N803, B&W 606 Continuum, 1 JL Audio D108
post #469 of 616 Old 03-26-2018, 06:28 AM

None of this is working, guess I'm just giving up on iTunes. Support was terrible anyway. I'll just buy CD's for $5 and copy them seems to be all that works!
post #470 of 616 Old 03-26-2018, 06:46 AM

Sony HAP-Z1ES thread

Quote:
None of this is working, guess I'm just giving up on iTunes. Support was terrible anyway. I'll just buy CD's for $5 and copy them seems to be all that works!

Is your iTunes music bought from Apple? If so, some music won’t copy due to D.R.M built-in copy restrictions.

post #471 of 616 Old 03-30-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Is your iTunes music bought from Apple? If so, some music won’t copy due to D.R.M built-in copy restrictions.

How could I tell if this is the case?
post #472 of 616 Old 03-30-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
How could I tell if this is the case?

I never bought music from Apple, but in searching I found that all music purchased from Apple comes with digital rights management (DRM) which restricts the use of Apple Music on authorized devices only (iPods, iPhones, etc.). The music cannot be transferred to another “MP3” player.

If your music is Apple bought, this restriction may be why you can’t transfer from your iTunes directory.

All of my music is burned from CDs I own, even what is in my iTunes directory (I burned into FLAC and ALAC). As a result, I can transfer my music from the iTunes directory.

post #473 of 616 Old 03-30-2018, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
HAP-Z1ES > Onkyo ND-S1 > DEQX 2.6 > Sony STR-DA7100ES
post #474 of 616 Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had recently purchase the HAP Z1-ES and connecting it to a Wadia di322 DAC with USB. When I playback music the sound is very soft. I had turn on the volume on my pre-amp to more than 60% before can hear the music. I tried direct USB connection as well with a self powered USB hub and the result is the same. Secondly, it won't play back DSD files with external DAC although my dac has support for DSD256. I had tried DoP on and off both has same result. Trying directly from XLR and RCA of the player to pre-amp is working fine. Any ideas ?
post #475 of 616 Old 04-22-2018, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by estsularus View Post
I had recently purchase the HAP Z1-ES and connecting it to a Wadia di322 DAC with USB. When I playback music the sound is very soft. I had turn on the volume on my pre-amp to more than 60% before can hear the music. I tried direct USB connection as well with a self powered USB hub and the result is the same. Secondly, it won't play back DSD files with external DAC although my dac has support for DSD256. I had tried DoP on and off both has same result. Trying directly from XLR and RCA of the player to pre-amp is working fine. Any ideas ?
Maybe the following will help

Using a USB digital audio device (USB Digital Output)
While a Sony USB digital audio device (USB DAC), such as TA-ZH1ES or CAS-1, is connected to the EXT port on the back of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, you can output audio signals to the connected USB digital audio device for music playback.
1. Connect a USB digital audio device to the EXT port on the back of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER.
2. Select [Settings] - [Audio Settings] from the Home screen.
3. Select [USB Digital Output].
4. Select [Auto].
Descriptions of menu settings Selectable menu items are described below. Auto: If a USB digital audio device is connected, audio signals are output to the connected device for playback. If not, audio signals are output to the devices connected to the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) via the built-in D/A converter of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER (factory default setting). Off: Audio signals are always output to the devices connected to the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) via the built-in D/A converter of the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, regardless of whether a USB digital audio devices is connected.
DSD Output (DoP) settings While [USB Digital Output] is set to [Auto], you can turn on or off the DSD Output (DoP) function. On: Enables playback of music files in the DSD formats with the connected USB digital audio device. Select this item if the connected USB audio device supports DoP transfer. Off: Disables playback of music files in the DSD formats with the connected USB digital audio device. Music files in the DSD formats are skipped for playback (factory default setting).
Note Some USB digital audio devices may not work for playback. While the USB Digital Output function is set to [Auto] and audio signals are being output to the connected USB digital audio device, signal output through the analog output terminals (LINE OUT UNBALANCED (analog: unbalanced output) L/R
jacks and LINE OUT BALANCED (analog: balanced output) L/R jacks) is disabled. You cannot output audio signals, which are input from the audio device connected to the input jacks on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER, to the connected USB digital audio device for playback because they are designed to be sent to the analog output terminals on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER at all times. You cannot use a USB digital audio device to play the contents that are unavailable for playback (grayed out) on the HDD AUDIO PLAYER.
post #476 of 616 Old 04-23-2018, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Since I bought a used Ayre DX-5 DSD universal player that accepts files from Roon via USB, I haven't been using my HAP-Z1ES, so I've decided to sell it and did a factory reset last night. But I need some personal memory refreshment. As I recall, Sony didn't really supply a manual as such, is that correct? And where does the HAP Music Transfer program come from? Is it generated automatically when you put the unit on WiFi? I'm thinking of asking a $1K; does that seem about right or too much? Any other help would be appreciated.

db
post #477 of 616 Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Since I bought a used Ayre DX-5 DSD universal player that accepts files from Roon via USB, I haven't been using my HAP-Z1ES, so I've decided to sell it and did a factory reset last night. But I need some personal memory refreshment. As I recall, Sony didn't really supply a manual as such, is that correct? And where does the HAP Music Transfer program come from? Is it generated automatically when you put the unit on WiFi? I'm thinking of asking a $1K; does that seem about right or too much? Any other help would be appreciated.

db

The HAP Music Transfer program can be downloaded from Sony. It is not generated automatically. As to price, the market will let you know. I do not recall a manual, but it is available online too.

post #478 of 616 Old 04-24-2018, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
The HAP Music Transfer program can be downloaded from Sony. It is not generated automatically. As to price, the market will let you know. I do not recall a manual, but it is available online too.
Thanks. I googled Sony HAP-Z1ES and found everything, and that's what I'll advise a buyer to do.

db
post #479 of 616 Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone replaced the hard drive with an ssd and has instructions to do this? I’ve looked online but can’t seem to find any of them. Thank you in advance
post #480 of 616 Old 05-06-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacherel View Post
Has anyone replaced the hard drive with an ssd and has instructions to do this? I’ve looked online but can’t seem to find any of them. Thank you in advance

It may be similar to replacing one in a HAP-S1. Here is a video of that:

My question would be why? It does not take much speed to play a music file. I have no problem with the HAP-Z1ES hard drive speed. The reason there is no information online is that no one might be having a problem with the speed. There is no reason for a bigger one since there is USB expansion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page