Sony HAP-Z1ES thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #31 of 611 Old 08-25-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
Well......I picked up my player a few hours ago, and have started transferring about 300GB
of music files...

This player is pretty heavy.....seems very well built.....

I wish it would finish already........ready to listen to some tunes....

Shelly
Large transfers can be a pain. It was especially bad with my first player that would lockup every few hours. My new replacement player doesn't do that so now I just have to have patience.

Let us know what you think of how it sounds once done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 611 Old 09-02-2014, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking for a little help, when I transfer over my music I had folders which would be considered play list, best way to do it for the OPPO, now that I have these folders on the Sony can someone tell me how I can add songs to these folders, can it be done with the iPad app or does it have to done with the transfer software, the songs are already on the Sony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #33 of 611 Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
Looking for a little help, when I transfer over my music I had folders which would be considered play list, best way to do it for the OPPO, now that I have these folders on the Sony can someone tell me how I can add songs to these folders, can it be done with the iPad app or does it have to done with the transfer software, the songs are already on the Sony.

I can't help you with iPad apps, but from my experience with using both the Sony transfer program and copying tracks to the HAP from a PC (its filesystem is exported as a share to your network), you can copy the programs to random folders on the Sony but since the HAP doesn't provide any means of selecting folders directly (at least, not that I'm aware of), this won't help you use them as a means of creating playlists.

I mostly just use the various SenseMe selections on my HAP-Z1ES when listening to music on it. I keep all of my music tracks carefully organized in a directory (folder) hierarchy on my PC by artist and album. It's the only way I can maintain any sanity with the number of music tracks that I have (37,000 and counting).

Currently, I only have about 2700 tracks transferred to the HAP box. I doubt that I'll ever attempt to transfer all of my music to it again. I suspect that trying to do that with my first unit may have had something to do with the problems I had with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 611 Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, new member here. I received mine two weeks ago. Does any one have problem using the vTuner? Every time I try launching Internet Radio, it will say "This service is currently unavailable." I tested the internet connection settings and the unit said it is working. I tried switching between LAN and Wireless and got the same message. Something wrong with my unit?
post #35 of 611 Old 09-12-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have no experience with the internet radio feature on this box, but over on a thread in another forum someone else had mentioned having problems. He said that he contacted Sony Support about it and they said that there was a communications problem between Sony and vtuner, but that it should be resolved soon.
post #36 of 611 Old 09-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony - vTuner fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I have no experience with the internet radio feature on this box, but over on a thread in another forum someone else had mentioned having problems. He said that he contacted Sony Support about it and they said that there was a communications problem between Sony and vtuner, but that it should be resolved soon.
s

By it's lack of Transparency, Sony is alienating its customer base which in its current situation it really can't afford to do

- Andy

Last edited by ajglass; 09-18-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Typo
post #37 of 611 Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since I don't use it I can't say from personal experience, but according to folks on another forum for the HAP-Z1ES, it sounds like vTuner is working again.
post #38 of 611 Old 10-12-2014, 09:37 PM

Liked: 1
Latest news on the HAP-Z1ES from the just-ended Rocky Mountain Audio Fest here in Denver:

After much probing three different Sony engineers, I found out that a new firmware is in the works right now and will be out in the next few weeks. Among other things, probably the biggest enhancement is going to be removing the proprietary formatting requirements on external hard disks before copying your music files to them - YAY!! So again, what that means is you won't need to format external drives before hand to work with the HAP-Z1ES! It's going to become a true plug-and-play unit.

Also, the successor to this unit is not going to be announced for another year..... i.e., the HAP-Z1ES will stay current for at least another year! AND, there's a good possibility that unit would be usable as an 'external dac' as well, enabling direct streaming from your computer!
acebreathe likes this.
post #39 of 611 Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haragr View Post
Latest news on the HAP-Z1ES from the just-ended Rocky Mountain Audio Fest here in Denver:

After much probing three different Sony engineers, I found out that a new firmware is in the works right now and will be out in the next few weeks. Among other things, probably the biggest enhancement is going to be removing the proprietary formatting requirements on external hard disks before copying your music files to them - YAY!! So again, what that means is you won't need to format external drives before hand to work with the HAP-Z1ES! It's going to become a true plug-and-play unit.

Also, the successor to this unit is not going to be announced for another year..... i.e., the HAP-Z1ES will stay current for at least another year! AND, there's a good possibility that unit would be usable as an 'external dac' as well, enabling direct streaming from your computer!
This is all pretty much good news, but isn't the external drive filesystem just EXT3? Or am I confused?
post #40 of 611 Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Just curious if this unit will allow you to hook it up to another Amp and use it as a Pre/Amp Dac? I currently own the Marantz NA8005 and so far what every I throw at it works. Although I tried just a Hard Drive with music files on it and it wouldn't recognize it. The good, it has Pandora and Internet Radio both which work great, but it would be nice to have the plug and play feature that this unit will have. You should be able to burn your music to a hard drive and play it back in hi rez etc., without the use of a computer, well technically these units are becoming the computer. Does the Sony work with a iPhone/Android App as well?

Thanks,
post #41 of 611 Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My HAP-Z1ES updated its firmware this morning. I haven't noticed anything different, but then I haven't had much time to really check it out. The app on my Nexus 7 updated first and then refused to work with the previous firmware on the HAP-Z1ES, forcing me to do the update on it as well.
post #42 of 611 Old 10-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
This is all pretty much good news, but isn't the external drive filesystem just EXT3? Or am I confused?
My bad.... You're absolutely right.... it is EXT3 - not proprietary. What I was actually trying to convey was, unless you have formatted the external drive to the Sony requirement (EXT3), the unit won't recognize the hard drive. A lot of users have found out the hard way.
post #43 of 611 Old 10-16-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update today or yesterday was suppose to help this unit become a better plug and play device, lets hope as I am debating over this unit and the HAP-S1......
post #44 of 611 Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I am thinking this device is just what I am looking for, or rather the S1, to replace my old stereo receiver and cd player. I was thinking of an integrated amp and new cd player but I really want to run my ripped and downloaded music off a hard drive device without getting into home network setups.
The Z1ES is out of my price range, but does anyone have any comment on the amp quality in the S1? I have KEF Q700s and don't play extremely loud. Why is the Z1 $1000 more without the amp? Very interested.
post #45 of 611 Old 10-16-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars View Post
I am thinking this device is just what I am looking for, or rather the S1, to replace my old stereo receiver and cd player. I was thinking of an integrated amp and new cd player but I really want to run my ripped and downloaded music off a hard drive device without getting into home network setups.
The Z1ES is out of my price range, but does anyone have any comment on the amp quality in the S1? I have KEF Q700s and don't play extremely loud. Why is the Z1 $1000 more without the amp? Very interested.
Well the Z1ES is out for me as it doesn't have a Digital ins at all which seems odd, why omit these on a more expensive piece. It would be nice to see Sony at least a digital out via Coax or Optical connection, even HDMI. Seems like the Marantz NA8005 I am currently using has both, with the exception of HDMI. Not sure why the Z1ES would be that much more expensive and have less inputs, doesn't make any sense!
post #46 of 611 Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well the Z1ES is out for me as it doesn't have a Digital ins at all which seems odd, why omit these on a more expensive piece. It would be nice to see Sony at least a digital out via Coax or Optical connection, even HDMI. Seems like the Marantz NA8005 I am currently using has both, with the exception of HDMI. Not sure why the Z1ES would be that much more expensive and have less inputs, doesn't make any sense!
For hi-res digital out they'd have to do HDMI (and HDCP), not optical or coax, as I understand it. That's one of the few things I'd change if I could about the box. A couple of others are improvements to the transfer program (I can't transfer files from an SMB share since they updated it last Summer) and I'd like to get rid of the clicking sound (probably a relay in the box) when switching between files with different resolutions (such as 88.2 and 96 kHz).
post #47 of 611 Old 10-17-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 205
The firmware update now gives you access to VTuner. Also, I noticed when I opened the IOS ap, it didn't have to search for the player like it used to, it found it and connected immediately. It was not designed as a DAC so I personally have no problem with no digital inputs.

post #48 of 611 Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

bwillcox/g_bartman:

Thanks for the input, there are so many devices coming out, and so many different ways things are going in the HiRez world as we know it, I don't see any kind of standardization anytime soon and this will make it very confusing for the general consumer and even for the technically inclined. I am currently using the Marantz NA8005 with some success but would love to have the option of just slapping on a hard drive and having the unit read the audio files on it with zero issues. Wishful thinking.....

Thanks for the info!
post #49 of 611 Old 10-27-2014, 11:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
bwillcox/g_bartman:

Thanks for the input, there are so many devices coming out, and so many different ways things are going in the HiRez world as we know it, I don't see any kind of standardization anytime soon and this will make it very confusing for the general consumer and even for the technically inclined. I am currently using the Marantz NA8005 with some success but would love to have the option of just slapping on a hard drive and having the unit read the audio files on it with zero issues. Wishful thinking.....

Thanks for the info!
Hi Garman,

Wishful thinking if you expect a USB-connecte hard drive with a mix of file formats including HD FLAC and DSD to be automatically recognized.

But if you are just looking for a single-point storage solution that does not require running a computer, your Marantz can connect through wired network to any NAS that is DLNA-compliant, and play any file format. You would have no more cable clutter or complication than with a USB-attached drive, and you can get a compact and inexpensive NAS drive with two disks in a mirroring RAID configuration that would preserve your music files in case of drive failure. What more do you need?

M.
post #50 of 611 Old 10-28-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Diginote: Funny you sound mention that as the Oppo 105D pretty much as reads anything I have thrown at it so far. I took some Apple Lossless files from my iTunes library slapped it on a USB Hard drive and it read them all, so I took some HiRez files no problem, and DSD files no problem. So far it has read everything and it has excellent video too boot! Yes, NAS is the way to go just because of the Mirroring RAID configuration, just curious did you build your own or buy one, as I have seen some kits that look pretty good. Thanks for the input.....

GW

Last edited by Garman; 10-28-2014 at 08:18 AM.
post #51 of 611 Old 10-28-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My HAP-Z1ES just did another update this morning. Seems to have survived the ordeal. No idea what changes were included (I haven't had a chance to look it up yet).

Ok, I looked it up and apparently it is just this:

Improves secure communication to address an SSL v3 vulnerability

Last edited by bwillcox; 10-28-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Add what changed
post #52 of 611 Old 10-31-2014, 07:04 AM

Liked: 0
HD Remote Problem

Has anyone been able to edit a playlist on a tablet running IOS 8.1? I am using an ipad mini and can't seem to edit a playlist. I go through the menus to remove items, when finished I select OK to exit. It says the playlist is saved, but when I go back to check they are still there. If I use an Android tablet, the items are succesfully removed. I wonder if there is a bug in the IOS version. Can someone confirm?
post #53 of 611 Old 12-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can someone help a relative newbie...

I currently have a basic home entertainment setup with a plasma TV, pioneer elite receiver, oppo blue ray/CD player and energy speakers. I have about 1.5TB of FLAC music files. Currently I have to play an individual CD to listen to music on my system. I would prefer to have a compact media player that can store 1.5TB of FLAC files that I can connect to my receiver and play all of my music on my system without using CDs.

The Sony HAP-Z1ES seems like the first device of its kind that fits the bill. The problem is that it only stores 1TB of data and apparently it takes days and weeks to download music to the device.

Are there any other devices from other companies similar to this Sony product or anything in the pipeline for the future?

Thank you.
post #54 of 611 Old 12-06-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
While you're thinking about it, why not stream from your PC?

The Oppo has networking, doesn't it?

How about your receiver?

I stream using Optical or USB from my PC. But rarely.

I still get my exercise going to the rack of CD's and spinning one at a time on my 17 year old CD player (used as a transport - digital out to the DAC)

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #55 of 611 Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
While you're thinking about it, why not stream from your PC?

The Oppo has networking, doesn't it?

How about your receiver?

I stream using Optical or USB from my PC. But rarely.

I still get my exercise going to the rack of CD's and spinning one at a time on my 17 year old CD player (used as a transport - digital out to the DAC)
That's a reasonable suggestion, but I'm just not a big fan of streaming/networking. Plus, my FLAC files aren't on my PC. I have them in cloud storage and on an external HD. I prefer having all the files downloaded on the media player and just hooking the media player to the receiver, just like a CD player. Having everything hard-wired appeals much more to me than streaming. Just a personal quirk of mine.
post #56 of 611 Old 12-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Put an 2 TB WD usb hard drive into,the back of the Sony and you know have 3 TB's of storage direct wired, no streaming.

post #57 of 611 Old 12-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
Put an 2 TB WD usb hard drive into,the back of the Sony and you know have 3 TB's of storage direct wired, no streaming.

That sounds like a great idea. Now the only problem is getting the music files to download quicker onto the Sony. Maybe the next generation player will allow faster download speeds.
post #58 of 611 Old 12-15-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf417 View Post
That sounds like a great idea. Now the only problem is getting the music files to download quicker onto the Sony. Maybe the next generation player will allow faster download speeds.
If you do download your 1.5TB of flac files to the Sony let us know how that works out. When I got my first HAP-Z1ES last April I had a 4TB external drive connected to it and I (eventually, after many crashes of the box) was able to get all of my tracks (flac & dsf) transferred to it. However it then wouldn't play anything. I wound up resetting the device and starting over w/o the external drive and only downloading a few thousand tracks. It never did work reliably, though. Would usually hang within 30 minutes to an hour of playing.

I eventually got Sony to replace it and my current box seems to be working ok. However, I have only about 3000 tracks on it now (I'm very selective in what I transfer to it these days) and haven't tried the external drive again yet.

All of my trouble with the first unit may well have just been due to it being defective, but I've been reluctant to try a big transfer or external drive since (it took lots of pressure from my dealer and months to get the first one replaced by Sony).
post #59 of 611 Old 12-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3584
I came back to the HAP-Z1ES

also got the NWZ-A17: audiophile version of the original Sony Walkman: great piece

the software is a bit clunky but you can download HD tracks to it: there is a micro SD card port but everything has to go through the Sony program

it is smaller and lighter than appears in photos: it automatically connects to Bluetooth headphones

really well done in my opinion

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #60 of 611 Old 12-20-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I came back to the HAP-Z1ES

also got the NWZ-A17: audiophile version of the original Sony Walkman: great piece

the software is a bit clunky but you can download HD tracks to it: there is a micro SD card port but everything has to go through the Sony program

it is smaller and lighter than appears in photos: it automatically connects to Bluetooth headphones

really well done in my opinion

I have the NWZ-A17, and agree it is very good. The Bluetooth is also aptx, so better audio if you have an appropriate Bluetooth speaker or headphone (Sony makes a few).

But you do not need any Sony program to load tracks onto the microsd card or internal memory. Just format the card in the device. Then attach the device by usb to a computer. Then load tracks or folders of your audio files into the 'Music' folder on the sd card (or the internal memory Music folder). Or just remove the microsd card from the device and insert it into a computer and copy files to the Music folder.

The only quirk is that a computer can only connect to the sd card or the internal memory not both. You have to choose which one with the device.
markrubin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page