Sony HAP-Z1ES thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #61 of 611 Old 12-21-2014, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3584
^^^

thanks for the info: I dragged some HD audio files onto a micro SD card in my PC, then tried to play it in the Walkman: I will try it again dragging the file while card is inserted in the Walkman.

I am using Bose Sound link Bluetooth headphones: I like them better than Beats Studio or Parrot Zik 2.0 (would not pair with Sony player): I tried the Sony MDR10RBT from an iPad and returned them: I may try them again with the Walkman

Mark

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 12-21-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 611 Old 01-25-2015, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs down Sony HAP-Z1ES transfer software

Hello
I purchased HAP-Z1ES approximately 1 year ago and transferred approximately 700 CDs from my Sony laptop to music player using Jriver software to rip CDs and Sony transfer software for Ethernet transfer. Everything is in WAV format. It worked very well first time altough some meta data are missing and confused.
Music server is fantastic, very high quality, excellent browsing using Sony Experia tablet as a remote.
However, now I am not able to transfer additional music using transfer software. This software is on and off. Now it transfer some CDs and does not transfer other CDs from the same computer location.
I was able to drag and drop music files before, now it does not work anymore. I am not able to map HAP-1ZS on my network.
All this is non-consistent crap, software is horrible, sometime it works sometime it does not work. Player is often losing connection to Sony Experia tablet that I am using as a remote. Some CDs are transffered, some CDs from same location are not. I tried wired connection as well with the same results. When I browse player music is there when I browse tablet some CDs are not there.
All in all HAP-Z1ES is fantastic but software is horrible.
Please someone let me know the answers for questions above. Sony support, why is it called support these people are horrible, there is no support at all. It is really bad having fantastic player but horrible software. Sony should build in CD ripper.
Thanks Zlatko
post #63 of 611 Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

^^^

sounds like a network issue: perhaps an IP conflict?

You could scan your network using Fing or similar program on your tablet and see what is going on

If you can connect the HAP via wired ethernet it will do better than wireless

Please check your network: let us know how you make out

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 611 Old 02-05-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 11363
I am considering purchasing one of the Sony units, but have some questions that maybe a current user can help with. I have my music stored in 2 ways:
1. CDs ripped to ITunes using Apple Lossless
2. CDs ripped to Escient Fireball using FLAC
Will either be a better source for the Sony? Can the Sony source music files from the Fireball?
Any advice welcome.
post #65 of 611 Old 02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Location: East-central Illinois, now. Lots of other places previously!
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
HAP-Z1ES: Have Problems, Need Answers!

Have had unit almost two months, wired Ethernet from MacPro to hifi system, using IOS app on iPad. Problems: HAP Music Transfer program has duplicated contents of several CDs during transfer to HAP internal disk - how to prevent, how to delete dups from HAP? Delete tool in iOS app indicates file deleted, but after power cycle that file is still present on internal disk. Verrrry irritating! Have emailed Sony support, but get absolutely no response!

The iOS app is primitive! When initiated, it asks if I'd like to power up the HAP. Why would I initiate the app if not to communicate with the HAP. Stupid! Also, no mechanism for editing CD identifiers, which is necessary for classical selections so album index can sort by composer! And if the system can identify genre, why isn't there an option to edit the entries for classical CDs? Could easily be an option!

I love the sound, tho!
post #66 of 611 Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

you have limited options here:

set the download software to limit the types of files to automatically transfer: i.e. I only automatically transfer from a file called HD Tracks: or select which files you want to transfer manually

after you have that set delete the HAP HD and let it start over again

LG C9 OLED owner

post #67 of 611 Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Remastering with Sony Hap-z1es

Hello, i've been researching a lot about this product and despite some of its connectivity/feature shortcomings, it seems to get favorable reviews when it comes to audio sound quality. so my question is - does the remastering engine in the Hap Z1es make a noticeable difference? I read that it converts all signals to DSD 128.

yesterday, I had my first experience with DSD. i downloaded a DSD 64 version of Elton John's Captain Fantastic and compared it to a 96/24 flac that i downloaded from another high resolution audio site. To me, the DSD version blew the flac away. The DSD had significantly more depth, clarity, and the vocals were far more pronounced. In fact, at first, I swore that the vocals were being played independently in my center channel although it was not - 2 channel output sounded that much better. So for me, if this Sony device can take my flac files (some hi rez and most 16bit) and reproduce them to the sound quality that i heard yesterday, I'm all in. Please share your view on this. If this truly converts to DSD128 then, theoretically, it should sound better than the DSD 64 i heard yesterday, correct? thank you
post #68 of 611 Old 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just picked up this unit for a great price, it was an open box unit. I wanted to try this cuz I'm kinda tired plugging in my computer to listen to my increasing hi res tracks. File transfer was way easy. First impression I'm impressed! Have not hooked it up to my main listening system yet but I did a quick comparison with my benchmark dac2 and frankly couldn't really tell much difference. I'll compare again when I get it moved. The comparison took place with my family room set up with a Sony es receiver and bowers and Wilkins cm5s2. I must say this unit has an incredible feel and look. I love the all in one approach and it is easily controlled with an iPad. I will try and do some critical listening and see if the DSD up conversion is noticeable. Overall this is a great unit!

Mike
post #69 of 611 Old 03-11-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv43 View Post
Just picked up this unit for a great price, it was an open box unit. I wanted to try this cuz I'm kinda tired plugging in my computer to listen to my increasing hi res tracks. File transfer was way easy. First impression I'm impressed! Have not hooked it up to my main listening system yet but I did a quick comparison with my benchmark dac2 and frankly couldn't really tell much difference. I'll compare again when I get it moved. The comparison took place with my family room set up with a Sony es receiver and bowers and Wilkins cm5s2. I must say this unit has an incredible feel and look. I love the all in one approach and it is easily controlled with an iPad. I will try and do some critical listening and see if the DSD up conversion is noticeable. Overall this is a great unit!
thanks, looking forward to your analysis. if you don't mind, where did you see this as an open box?
post #70 of 611 Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb8706 View Post
thanks, looking forward to your analysis. if you don't mind, where did you see this as an open box?
I purchased it from onecall.com It was on eBay and so having purchased from them before I called them and bought it direct. It was an open boxed item so they had discounted it. Hopefully this weekend I can listen more, I'm really liking this thing, it is gorgeous to look at and the sound is first rate. Also plan on downloading something from acoustic sounds in DSD, not sure what yet, but something I already have on sacd or hi res download to compare it to. Has anyone downloaded anything from acoustic sounds? I've mostly only used Hdtracks.

Mike
post #71 of 611 Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 PM

I've dowloaded Elton Johns goodbye yellow brick road in dsd from acoustic. Easy site to use. Compared to the 96/24 version I got from hdtracks, the dsd blew it away. My new denon 7200 receiver will play dsd64, not dsd128- hence my intrigue with the Sony. So let me know your opinion. Thanks.
post #72 of 611 Old 03-11-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
I am considering purchasing one of the Sony units, but have some questions that maybe a current user can help with. I have my music stored in 2 ways:
1. CDs ripped to ITunes using Apple Lossless
2. CDs ripped to Escient Fireball using FLAC
Will either be a better source for the Sony? Can the Sony source music files from the Fireball?
Any advice welcome.
The Sony has its own internal hard drive. You have to transfer the music files from your iTunes library and your Flac files to the Sony's hard drive.
The Sony HAP app also allows you to automatically copy to the Sony hard drive any new music files as you add them to your computer.
The Sony is a great sounding unit. The toughest part is getting your music library into the unit (it took me about 24 hours to transfer about 11k tracks). Once you do that, the rest is easy.
post #73 of 611 Old 03-12-2015, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just got my unit on Monday and it finished tranferring the files today from my PC. However, it is taking forever to populate the music in the files, granted I transferred over 50,000 songs and the Sony is only seeing 2800 songs right now, as many files are currently empty despite the Sony showing over 50,000 songs transferred. At this rate it is going to take a month before everything is available to play.

Has this been everyones experience.

By the way my unit sounded horrible out of the box. After being on for 3 days the sound has gotten much better. I plan on leaving the radio on for a few days after all the files are populated to fully break the Sony in before I start critical listening.
post #74 of 611 Old 03-15-2015, 12:19 PM

Well its been a fun weekend with the sony. I have got all of my hi rez stuff onto the unit which wasent bad since I did just the hi rez files and nothing yet from itunes. I did purchase and download Elton John goodby yellow brick road from acustic sounds and I must admit this is awesome! The best sounding version of this album i previousely had was mobile fidelity on vinyl and the dsd file is much better and very noticable even to my wife which was interesting. I think I will download madman accross the water as well since I am a huge Elton fan. I have been depating over snaging Jazz at the pawn shop from native dsd site. I have I think every possible version of this album and I do like it but would like to see if there is a difference. I am interested to learn more about sony's claim about up scaling lesser files to dsd, does it work and can you hear any differnce? So far the unit has been great, I do love the sound, and kinda forget I'm trying to listen criticly and just end up loving the music which I guess is what it's all about. Also Just curious about what others are using for a second external hdd with this unit? Does it matter? Oh and by the way the v-tuner is pretty cool.

Mike
post #75 of 611 Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Well its been a fun weekend with the sony. I have got all of my hi rez stuff onto the unit which wasent bad since I did just the hi rez files and nothing yet from itunes. I did purchase and download Elton John goodby yellow brick road from acustic sounds and I must admit this is awesome! The best sounding version of this album i previousely had was mobile fidelity on vinyl and the dsd file is much better and very noticable even to my wife which was interesting. I think I will download madman accross the water as well since I am a huge Elton fan. I have been depating over snaging Jazz at the pawn shop from native dsd site. I have I think every possible version of this album and I do like it but would like to see if there is a difference. I am interested to learn more about sony's claim about up scaling lesser files to dsd, does it work and can you hear any differnce? So far the unit has been great, I do love the sound, and kinda forget I'm trying to listen criticly and just end up loving the music which I guess is what it's all about. Also Just curious about what others are using for a second external hdd with this unit? Does it matter? Oh and by the way the v-tuner is pretty cool.
great - the Elton John DSD file you downloaded is single rate 64FS - it really does sound terrific. the Sony is supposed to remaster all input signals to double rate 128FS DSD. so I'm curious if you can tell the difference between DSD 64 and DSD 128. i guess you would need equipment that plays the 64 DSD directly in order to compare it to the sony's 128 output. what I've read about DSD is that people describe it as a more natural, open and spacious platform. when i compared an elton john 96/24 Flac track to the DSD 64 track, both played on my receiver, the difference was highly noticeable. the vocals were so pronounced that i swore they were coming from my center channel speaker - which it wasn't....the 2channel DSD just sounded much wider. so if the sony's remastering engine can produce similar results with my other Flac files then it would be a worthy investment.
post #76 of 611 Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
The Sony has its own internal hard drive. You have to transfer the music files from your iTunes library and your Flac files to the Sony's hard drive.
The Sony HAP app also allows you to automatically copy to the Sony hard drive any new music files as you add them to your computer.
The Sony is a great sounding unit. The toughest part is getting your music library into the unit (it took me about 24 hours to transfer about 11k tracks). Once you do that, the rest is easy.
When I got my first unit last year (Sony has since replaced it), I attempted to transfer all ~38000 of my flac and dsf files to it. After about a week it claimed to be done but I was unable to play any of them. After several months of resetting the unit and retrying (fewer after the first attempt) my unit would hang periodically. Finally, after another couple of months Sony sent me a replacement. My new unit has been behaving fine, but I no longer attempt to transfer my ripped CDs to it. I'm only putting Hi-rez downloads from the likes of hdtracks and Acoustic sounds on it (I have about 5000 of those on it now).

I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did. I never found out what went wrong with the first on, but I have my fingers crossed on my second.
post #77 of 611 Old 03-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb8706 View Post
great - the Elton John DSD file you downloaded is single rate 64FS - it really does sound terrific. the Sony is supposed to remaster all input signals to double rate 128FS DSD. so I'm curious if you can tell the difference between DSD 64 and DSD 128. i guess you would need equipment that plays the 64 DSD directly in order to compare it to the sony's 128 output. what I've read about DSD is that people describe it as a more natural, open and spacious platform. when i compared an elton john 96/24 Flac track to the DSD 64 track, both played on my receiver, the difference was highly noticeable. the vocals were so pronounced that i swore they were coming from my center channel speaker - which it wasn't....the 2channel DSD just sounded much wider. so if the sony's remastering engine can produce similar results with my other Flac files then it would be a worthy investment.
I've downloaded the Alan parsons project I robot from acustic sounds and a Clair Martin album from linn music and I am way impressed with the sound of the Sony!
I just wasn't expecting this to be as warm and detailed as it is. I thought it might be a tad thin compared to the benchmark dac but it's every bit as good. The only thing I can find to nitpick about is I wish it had a headphone amp. Clearly the Sony has awesome dacs inside. Looking for more great DSD to download.

Mike
post #78 of 611 Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm having and issue with the Sony transfer program. I replaced the Windows system that I've been using to transfer my files to my HAP-Z1ES, being careful to name the new system the same, give it the same IP address, and all of the files that I transfer are on the same drive (moved from old to new system) with the same drive letter. Unfortunately, the transfer program still insists on re-transferring all 5000+ files to the HAP-Z1ES again anyway.

Anyone have any idea how to overcome this? I really don't need nor want to re-transfer these tracks. What sort of brain damage in either the player or transfer program is at work here?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob
post #79 of 611 Old 03-21-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I'm having and issue with the Sony transfer program. I replaced the Windows system that I've been using to transfer my files to my HAP-Z1ES, being careful to name the new system the same, give it the same IP address, and all of the files that I transfer are on the same drive (moved from old to new system) with the same drive letter. Unfortunately, the transfer program still insists on re-transferring all 5000+ files to the HAP-Z1ES again anyway.

Anyone have any idea how to overcome this? I really don't need nor want to re-transfer these tracks. What sort of brain damage in either the player or transfer program is at work here?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob
It is a little finicky, I had a devil of a time getting it to transfer and album from nativedsd. Hopefully some updates can make it a little less of a pain. But wow great sounding device though.

Mike
post #80 of 611 Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It is a little finicky, I had a devil of a time getting it to transfer and album from nativedsd. Hopefully some updates can make it a little less of a pain. But wow great sounding device though.
Well this goes beyond finicky. I believe that what is happening here is by (poor) design. I've previously noticed that the downloaded files are arranged based on the system that they came from, and although in my environment that is completely unnecessary, it hadn't really impacted me since I made it a point to always run the transfer program on the same system.

So, with the replacement of that system I was careful in setting up the new system, hoping that the Sony wouldn't notice the change...silly me.

I also like the sound of the Sony player (I must, I own two of them now...doubles my transfer problem though), I just despise the transfer program...it's given me nothing but trouble and annoyance for the year I've had to use it.

Last edited by bwillcox; 03-23-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Word smithing
post #81 of 611 Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 PM

I just downloaded Elton John madman across the water and Alan Parsons I robot from acustic sounds. Wow they sound great. I need to compare the sacd with the DSD download of madman. These are both great sounding in DSD. So far the Sony has been great with very nice sound.

Mike
post #82 of 611 Old 04-04-2015, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Oversampling Question

Hi All,
I notice in the manual that in the oversampling details it does not me what "Normal" does and what "Precision" does. So I wonder which would give the better sound and does this work only when transferring sound files from the computer, or, when playing the Hapzies1.

Thanks all.
post #83 of 611 Old 04-05-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
Hi All,
I notice in the manual that in the oversampling details it does not me what "Normal" does and what "Precision" does. So I wonder which would give the better sound and does this work only when transferring sound files from the computer, or, when playing the Hapzies1.

Thanks all.
Hmmmm, great question! I am not sure what that is all about. I have read all the reviews on this unit and none of the reviewers have mentioned anything about it that I can recall. I will mess with it and see if anything makes sence.

This weekend I have been messing with the vtuner and found the Linn Channel. Wow that is a very good sounding streaming station! I ended up listening for 2 or 3 hours and then off and on all weekend.

Mike
post #84 of 611 Old 04-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Hmmmm, great question! I am not sure what that is all about. I have read all the reviews on this unit and none of the reviewers have mentioned anything about it that I can recall. I will mess with it and see if anything makes sence.

This weekend I have been messing with the vtuner and found the Linn Channel. Wow that is a very good sounding streaming station! I ended up listening for 2 or 3 hours and then off and on all weekend.
Yes, I have read all the reviews and looked through the forums, but, strangely, this has not been mentioned at all and even the manual is vague.
I am very keen to buy this so I just want to understand what this option does, so thanks merv43, you help appreciated.

I also wonder if Sony are bringing out a 2015 updated model. I ask this because I always seem to end up buying something only to find that shortly after they bring out a better version at the same, or cheaper price lol.
post #85 of 611 Old 04-14-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My HAP-Z1ES updated its firmware this morning. I checked the Sony site: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/con...4957R/HAP-Z1ES but it only says that the update "Supports TuneIn internet radio service".

So, I'm wondering if that's all the update does? Though I suppose it's possible, it does seem pretty unlikely that they'd release an update with no other changes. What about bug fixes? As a software engineer for almost 50 years, I find it highly unlikely that the firmware is perfect and without any bugs.
post #86 of 611 Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

^^^

that is the UK site: I believe the US models have had the internet radio service

there are some updates dated 14 April 2015 for the Windows programs used with the HAP for this unit (from US site): go to drivers and software and fill in your OS

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d#/downloadTab

for WIN 7 64 bit:

The HAP Music Transfer for Windows® (version 1.20) is an application that transfers music files stored in your computer to the HDD Audio Player.

This application includes the following features:
  • Selecting multiple folders and batch transfer
    You can select multiple folders (up to 100) in which music files are saved on your computer, and then transfer them in a batch to the HDD Audio Player.
  • Supports the transfer of various types of file formats
    In addition to widely used file formats (such as MP3), the HAP Music Transfer software allows for transferring non-compressed and high-resolution audio files such as 192 kHz/24 bit and DSD (Direct Stream Digital) file formats.
  • Automatic transfer setting
    You can set the automatic transfer function to [ON] to start transferring files automatically. If you set the automatic transfer function, it automatically starts transferring music files to the HDD Audio Player when new music files are added to the designated folder on your computer. You can also manually start the transfer any time you choose.
  • Added feature over version 1.11
    Added "Explorer HAP" and "Help" buttons to the Setup Console
  • Improved function over version 1.11
    Resolves a condition where some files are not transferred
  • Added feature over version 1.10
    Improved behavior when the HDD Audio Player becomes full during copy
  • Improved feature over version 1.10
    Shared network folders can be selected as "Contents Folder"
  • Added feature over version 1.00
    The device is searchable using an IP address

LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 04-14-2015 at 09:16 AM.
post #87 of 611 Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

I also got a notice of FW update on the HAP itself

current fw: 0013814R
new fw: 0014957R

LG C9 OLED owner

post #88 of 611 Old 04-14-2015, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

there was also an update to the IOS app:

What's New in Version 3.1.0 Version 3.1.0

- "TuneIn" Internet radio is now supported.
- "Help" was added to the Home menu.
- "Re-acquire database from the player"

LG C9 OLED owner

post #89 of 611 Old 04-14-2015, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
^^^

that is the UK site: I believe the US models have had the internet radio service

there are some updates dated 14 April 2015 for the Windows programs used with the HAP for this unit (from US site): go to drivers and software and fill in your OS

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d#/downloadTab

for WIN 7 64 bit:

The HAP Music Transfer for Windows® (version 1.20) is an application that transfers music files stored in your computer to the HDD Audio Player.

This application includes the following features:
  • Selecting multiple folders and batch transfer
    You can select multiple folders (up to 100) in which music files are saved on your computer, and then transfer them in a batch to the HDD Audio Player.
  • Supports the transfer of various types of file formats
    In addition to widely used file formats (such as MP3), the HAP Music Transfer software allows for transferring non-compressed and high-resolution audio files such as 192 kHz/24 bit and DSD (Direct Stream Digital) file formats.
  • Automatic transfer setting
    You can set the automatic transfer function to [ON] to start transferring files automatically. If you set the automatic transfer function, it automatically starts transferring music files to the HDD Audio Player when new music files are added to the designated folder on your computer. You can also manually start the transfer any time you choose.
  • Added feature over version 1.11
    Added "Explorer HAP" and "Help" buttons to the Setup Console
  • Improved function over version 1.11
    Resolves a condition where some files are not transferred
  • Added feature over version 1.10
    Improved behavior when the HDD Audio Player becomes full during copy
  • Improved feature over version 1.10
    Shared network folders can be selected as "Contents Folder"
  • Added feature over version 1.00
    The device is searchable using an IP address
I hadn't seen the transfer program update yet. I'll have to check it out. You are right, I was looking at the UK site. I should have checked the URL more closely.
post #90 of 611 Old 04-14-2015, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I also got a notice of FW update on the HAP itself

current fw: 0013814R
new fw: 0014957R
Any idea of what was changed with the FW update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page