Sonos/Turntable setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-08-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sonos/Turntable setup

Hi guys, not sure if this is the appropriate sub forum to list this questions.
I'm looking at setting a pretty simple system at home, and the main criteria is that I am able to stream and play digital files as well as play my vinyl records. I was thinking about going with the Sonos play 5 and the Pro-Ject Carbon turntable. Or perhaps the Marshall wireless solution, with with the entry level Rega table. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-08-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTheStick View Post
Hi guys, not sure if this is the appropriate sub forum to list this questions.
I'm looking at setting a pretty simple system at home, and the main criteria is that I am able to stream and play digital files as well as play my vinyl records. I was thinking about going with the Sonos play 5 and the Pro-Ject Carbon turntable. Or perhaps the Marshall wireless solution, with with the entry level Rega table. What do you guys think?
You do know that neither of those streaming devices have a phono input, right?

post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 230
To play vinyl, you need a receiver with a phone input. Turntables voltage output is very low so a standard auxiliary input will not work. You could buy an outboard phono pre-amp. I know the Sonos connect amp has a standard aux input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-08-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
First you need a device that has a Line Level Input, AUX, TAPE, CD, etc....

Then you need a PHONO Equalization Pre-Amp, to correct the heavily equalizes signal an vinyl, and then to bring the level up to standard Line Level.

Satisfy those to criteria, and you can play Vinyl on a streaming device.

That would mean the Sonos Play 5device would have to have at least one auxiliary Analog (RCA) input on it, and your turntable would have to be connected to it with RCA cables.

Actually -

Turntable -> RCA Cables -> Equalization Pre-Amp -> RCA Cables -> Sonos Play 5

Let's back up to the beginning -

1.) How much money do you have to spend?

Budget establishes the working framework.

2.) What are your requirements in terms of Preferences, Priorities, and Circumstances?

As an example, why combine a Sonos with a Turntable? I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but what about your situation and requirements is it, that makes this seem like a solution?

Will you have only one SONOS system in one room, or is this part of a plan to wire the whole house for sound?

3.) Aside from vinyl, where does most of your content reside?

On a computer? In Smart Phones, Smart Device, and MP3 Players? Do different people need different types of access to their content?

4.) What is the size of the room the system will be in?

For some reason people always hate answering this question, even though it is the easiest to answer. It does help us understand the situation better.

Rather than suggest possible solutions to a problem we don't understand, explain the problem/situation to us, and let us help you find a solution. That always works much better.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 12-08-2014 at 06:25 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
First you need a device that has a Line Level Input, AUX, TAPE, CD, etc....

Then you need a PHONO Equalization Pre-Amp, to correct the heavily equalizes signal an vinyl, and then to bring the level up to standard Line Level.

Satisfy those to criteria, and you can play Vinyl on a streaming device.

That would mean the Sonos Play 5device would have to have at least one auxiliary Analog (RCA) input on it, and your turntable would have to be connected to it with RCA cables.

Actually -

Turntable -> RCA Cables -> Equalization Pre-Amp -> RCA Cables -> Sonos Play 5

Let's back up to the beginning -

1.) How much money do you have to spend?

Budget establishes the working framework.

2.) What are your requirements in terms of Preferences, Priorities, and Circumstances?

As an example, why combine a Sonos with a Turntable? I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but what about your situation and requirements is it, that makes this seem like a solution?

Will you have only one SONOS system in one room, or is this part of a plan to wire the whole house for sound?

3.) Aside from vinyl, where does most of your content reside?

On a computer? In Smart Phones, Smart Device, and MP3 Players? Do different people need different types of access to their content?

4.) What is the size of the room the system will be in?

For some reason people always hate answering this question, even though it is the easiest to answer. It does help us understand the situation better.

Rather than suggest possible solutions to a problem we don't understand, explain the problem/situation to us, and let us help you find a solution. That always works much better.

Steve/bluewizard
I've been doing a little more research, and I've decided not to go with Sonos solution. Still into that Pro-Ject table though...

I'm looking to spend about $1500.

Looking for a solution(one room) to play my vinyl(500+), digital files(10,000 plus on computer and external drive) and being able to stream as well(soundcloud sets, ect...)

about 20 by 15
post #6 of 6 Old 12-13-2014, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked: 1552
Curious, do you have any CDs, or have your CDs all been Ripped to digital files?

So, the SONOS takes care of Streaming, now you need minimum, on top of the Sonos, Speaker and an Amp/Receiver.

Is there anything else in the $1500 budget that we should know about? Are the Sonos and Turntable included in that budget?

We need to understand exactly what the budget is meant to buy.

The Project Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge is about $400.

The basic Sonos Connect is about $350.

So, not really knowing, but if we subtract that from your budget of $1500, we have a remaining $750 for Amp and Speakers.

Any requirements in the amp other than it have a PHONO input?

Keep in mind you can get amps that have Streaming capability built in. Such are the Yamaha RN500 -

Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, Optical, Coaxial, USB-Media, etc... ($550) -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN50...RN500&skipvs=T

That kills two birds with one stone. The Yamaha has Spotify built in, and has a MM-PHONO input.

The Yamaha RN500 supports both DLNA and Apple Airplay.

But, if you insist on the Sonos route and you insist that it all come from this budget, at $750, the best I can recommend is about $350 for the amp, and a very lean $400/pr for speakers.

Let me put together a system and see if it has any appeal to you.

$400/ea = Project Debut Carbon turntable
$550/ea = Yamaha RN500 Network Receiver
------------------------
$950 = Total

That leaves a still lean $550 for speakers.

Do you have any sense of what you want for speakers? And by that I mean Bookshelf or Floorstanding.

Something along this line is probably workable, but it's $700/pr. That's pushing your budget.

Polk Audio TSx440 Floorstanding ($350 each) -

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107TX44...ry.html?tp=185

If you want to buy directly from Polk Audio's EBay store, you can maximize your money -

Polk Audio TSi500 Cherry - $450/pair -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-T...item540c5bffee

Polk Audio TSx440 Black - $500/pr -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-T...item5b057c435c

Polk Audio RTi-10 Cherry - $500/pr -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-R...item5b039e2e35

Any of these would be a good choice. All roughly $500 per pair.

Just offering a perspective.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 12-14-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page