Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier Official AVSForum Review - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #331 of 334 Old 12-16-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
I keep reading sub 30Hz in your posts. I think the pertinent question on this topic is will a tower speaker or a sub do a better job with bass from 40-100Hz?
I don't think that is the question. It, to me, it's about suitability to purpose. I said most people only need near 30hz, but that doesn't demand that. You are perfectly free to WANT Sub-30hz. But you can want it without really functionally needing it, and that's fine.

As to 40hz to 100hz, I would say perhaps, but only if you have FULL Bass Management. Speakers do what they do best. That is, Subs do bass because that is what they are designed for. But there are different types of bass, and different types of Subs. Some Subs are Thunder Boxes, they are great for bringing kick to movies, but can be a bit too peaky and droning for music. The demands of bass for Movies is not the same as the demand for bass for music. Movies are about impact, and Music ...should be... about smooth seamless integration of deeper bass with the existing Front Speakers. There are lots of variables to consider.

Quote:
A decent sub like the PB2000 or VTF-3 are relatively flat well below 30Hz but also well above 100Hz. Bass guitar and piano go down to 40Hz. Also, will adding a sub relieve some strain off the amp and produce better sounding mids and highs?
Here are frequency response graphs of the SVS PB2000, I highly suspect those graphs are excessively smoothed, though not doubt SVS makes good subs.

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...svs-sb-pb-2000

Back on the Subject of this particular thread - Yamaha AS801 Integrated Stereo Amp - as I said before, the major complaint seems to be that it is NOT a AV Receiver. That's like buying a Mini-Cooper and complaining that it won't haul Cargo Freight. Of course it won't, that's not what it is designed for, and the AS801 is NOT designed to be an AV Receiver, or even a substitute for an AV Receiver.

If you want an AV Receiver, then buy an AV Receiver. But is you want a good reasonably priced Stereo Amp with advanced DACs and 100w/ch, then the AS801 should certainly be on your list.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 334 Old 01-03-2020, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I have a question, there is a GND pin in Phono section, can this ground pin be used to ground the subwoofer ?
For example, REL T5i Subwoofer with High Level connection ,
  • RED wire to Speaker Right +
  • YELLOW wire to Speaker Left -
  • BLACK wire to Yamaha GND pin
I am not sure if this Phono GND pin is or can be used to ground the terminals.

Any expert advice ?

Thanks in advance !

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
post #333 of 334 Old 01-03-2020, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
Yes, the phono ground is also the entire unit's ground. However:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian411 View Post
  • RED wire to Speaker Right +
  • YELLOW wire to Speaker Left -
  • BLACK wire to Yamaha GND pin
That yellow one does not sound correct. It should also go to a positive.

REL back when I sold them connected like so:

This high level connection REL suggests also requires that the receiver or integrated amp setup menu is set to "front speakers large" regardless of what size they actually are. This ensures deep bass will pass to these speaker posts.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-03-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 334 Old 01-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Yes, the phono ground is also the entire unit's ground. However:

That yellow one does not sound correct. It should also go to a positive.

REL back when I sold them connected like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIenhBQEtE4

This high level connection REL suggests also requires that the receiver or integrated amp setup menu is set to "front speakers large" regardless of what size they actually are. This ensures deep bass will pass to these speaker posts.

Ooops yes, sorry you are correct.

YELLOW wire to Left +

Thank you !

KEF R900 (coming), Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT, 15s, LX16. Dual SVS SB13. Dual PSA 3611s (coming)
Marantz SR5009, Yamaha A-S2100, MX-A5000, OPPO HA-1, Burson HD-160
Headphone : HD800 / Fostex TH900 mk1 / TH610 / Beyerdynamic T5p.2 / HE6 / LCD 2.2 / Denon AH-D7100/AH-D600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
a-s700 , a-s800 , a-s801 , frontpage , usb dac , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page