Yamaha A-S801 Integrated Amplifier Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #61 of 334 Old 01-15-2016, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
I love my vintage gear, and even though by most measures the two channel integrated makes little sense, I'm still drawn to it's simplicity and retro-styling. What a shame that the engineers/marketers hobbled the A-S801's usefulness by not including pre-amp jumpers to tie in a stand alone crossover or equalizer. For $1000 one would think they could have at least covered the two channel audio basics.
This is the only gripe I have against this amp...

I have used Yamahas for the past 20yrs and still have the AX-1050 in use...
The AX series were well known for natural / neutral sound...

The lack of pre-amp out breaks everything for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 334 Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder2014 View Post
... the only reputable store in town who only sells BW's recommended the CM10s knowing that I had the 801. I am going to take the 801 in to his store to give it a try with his demo's probably tomorrow and see how it sounds....
I would very much be interested hearing your opinion on the Yamaha 801. And most certainly interested in hearing your opinion of how well it drives the B&W CM10-S2.

Quote:
I was just looking for some advice/recommendations on if it was worth trying to drive such a high end speaker with the 801. Maybe the CM9s, or a different line all together? I did have a listed to the KefR900 with the same amp and thought they had a decent sound. Thanks for the help
With 100w/ch, I think there are few speakers, at least few common speakers, that this system can not drive. Generally for consumers, the common range of wattage is between 50w/ch and about 100w/ch, though it could creep a bit above that, perhaps to 120w/ch.

However, when you move to higher powered amps, the price tends to rise substantially. Also keep in mind that some of the best highly rated, high priced amps out there have modest power, meaning 100w/ch or less.

Within a reasonable price, the Yamaha 801 should be excellent, though I can think of a few others. Though since you have the 801 and are looking for speakers, I don't see any problems unless you are looking at very exotic speakers.

Steve/bluewizard
post #63 of 334 Old 06-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
New Owner

Just purchased a Yamaha A-S801 to replace an older 2nd hand Onkyo receiver that was showing its age. I'm getting back into two channel audio after a long hiatus (kids, work, life, etc.)

I chose this amp because of fit, reviews, reputation, and price. I was extremely pleased with it immediately after turning it on. Started with streaming via the bluetooth add-on (worked well) and then attached my media computer directly to the DAC (definite difference!). Very pleased by the quality and and clarity of my collection now. The Pure Direct option does make a significant difference and I use it if the quality of the music is high. Got a good deal on this amp as I purchased a refurb'd unit but received a brand new one instead for $200 less than new.

I have a pair of Philharmonic Audio's BMR Philharmonitors on order to replace my 25+ year old Bose speakers. Can't wait for the pairing of the two.

- Rob
DaverJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 334 Old 07-10-2016, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey guys, I've been considering this amp. I would like to connect a Beyerdynamic A2 headphone amp to it. But from looking at the connections on the back I don't think this is possible. I wanted to know if any of you have done something similar or if it is even possible? Thanks!
post #65 of 334 Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Hey guys, I've been considering this amp. I would like to connect a Beyerdynamic A2 headphone amp to it. But from looking at the connections on the back I don't think this is possible. I wanted to know if any of you have done something similar or if it is even possible? Thanks!
'

Doesn't look like it. If you need an amp, I'd suggest hooking the source to your A2 and using the preamp out of the A2 as an input to the 801
post #66 of 334 Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Yamaha AS801 has a Headphone Out, why would you need an external headphone amp? I'm not saying you don't need it, I'm simply asking Why?

If you want the Headphones to track the volume on the AS801, then use the headphone out of the AS801.

If you want Fixed Level input to the headphone and to the in turn use the Headphone Amp volume control, the use the AS801 Tape or Line Out.

The Headphone amp runs about $1600, so I can see why you would want to use it, I just don't think it is necessary. Though that amp appears to be able to feed TWO headphone which could be nice.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/a-2-us.html

The Yamaha AS801 has two standard Line Level REC outputs.

Now it is possible that those outputs are simply mirroring their inputs, rather than mirroring whatever is playing on the amp. Can't say for sure without some detailed digging on the matter.

It is also possible, I suspect, to use the AS801 Headphone out as a Varialble Line Level signal to drive the Headphone amp. But in that case you have two volume controls to contend with.

Curious, how do you drive the Headphone amp now?

Steve/bluewizard
post #67 of 334 Old 07-13-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
The Yamaha AS801 has a Headphone Out, why would you need an external headphone amp? I'm not saying you don't need it, I'm simply asking Why?

If you want the Headphones to track the volume on the AS801, then use the headphone out of the AS801.

If you want Fixed Level input to the headphone and to the in turn use the Headphone Amp volume control, the use the AS801 Tape or Line Out.

The Headphone amp runs about $1600, so I can see why you would want to use it, I just don't think it is necessary. Though that amp appears to be able to feed TWO headphone which could be nice.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/a-2-us.html

The Yamaha AS801 has two standard Line Level REC outputs.

Now it is possible that those outputs are simply mirroring their inputs, rather than mirroring whatever is playing on the amp. Can't say for sure without some detailed digging on the matter.

It is also possible, I suspect, to use the AS801 Headphone out as a Varialble Line Level signal to drive the Headphone amp. But in that case you have two volume controls to contend with.

Curious, how do you drive the Headphone amp now?

Steve/bluewizard
I'm sorry I was a little confused when I asked the question. But I understand now.
I was using a standalone headphone amp to drive a pair of Beyerdynamic T1.2 headphones which are 600 ohm. The connection went through a Teac UD-501 DAC tothe A2 and then out to the receiver. The headphone outputs on the receivers I've had in the past didn't have strong headphone amps and sounded terrible with headphones beyond 32 ohm.
Since I made this post i wound up buying a Pioneer Elite SX-N30, it actually does have a headphone amp that can drive my T1.2, though not as cleanly as my A2 but still impressive. It shouldn't have any trouble with headphones up to 300 ohm, if it does this well with 600 ohm.
post #68 of 334 Old 10-23-2016, 05:48 PM

I've been thinking about this again. Hopefully by now some of you have had a chance to use the S-801.
If I'm using the USB input, is there a way to use any of the outputs?
Or are the REC outputs locked to the PB Inputs above them?
post #69 of 334 Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
can I hook up USB drive to play flac files on this 801? thanks
post #70 of 334 Old 01-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking about this again. Hopefully by now some of you have had a chance to use the S-801.
If I'm using the USB input, is there a way to use any of the outputs?
Or are the REC outputs locked to the PB Inputs above them?
I'd like to bump this question.
post #71 of 334 Old 04-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I found this thread extremely interesting especially since I am considering the Yamaha A-S801.

Indulge me for a bit while I describe my current very modest system. For the last 10 years, my receiver has been an Onkyo TX-8522 paired with a couple of Sony floor speakers. I don't remember their model designation, because I sold them after acquiring a pair of Klipsch R-26Fs. I didn't do any in depth reviews of the Klipschs. I bought them because I had heard the name bandied about so many times, and HHGregg had a pair on sale of slightly less than $300.

At this point, I should add that my taste in music is Jazz and Blues which I stream off TuneIn Radio using an AudioEngine W3 sender and receiver. With the Sony Floors, I was quite satisfied with the quality of my listening experience, but I was in for a shock after hooking up the Klipschs! Wow so this is what high fidelity music is all about! The Klipschs did a magnificent job of conveying great sounds into my living room. I'm hooked listening to them nearly all my free time at home.

So I finally get to my question regarding the A-S801. My Onkyo TX-8522 is 10 years old. As far as I know, it is OK, but would the purchase of the Yamaha make any improvement in my music? BTW, I just hooked up an Asus router, so I'm considering the Google Chromecast Audio as a replacement for the AudioEngine W3.

And finally, I contacted an outfit called Hi-Fi Heaven in Greenbay Wisconsin that offered me $250 trade in for the Onkyo on the Yamaha at its list price of $899. Should I go for it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
post #72 of 334 Old 04-01-2017, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
tritiumglo:

As far as Yamahas that deserve attention, maybe this one: AS3000

This is what bothers me about Yamaha products when something very expensive is mentioned. What Hi-Fi? gave this one only three out of five stars (also another expensive model too!).

I remember a long time ago I owned a couple of AR3s which were lovely speakers. I had gotten rid of them when I moved, so I decided to acquire some new ones, the AR3a! What a terrible speaker, but it taught me a valuable lesson. Getting one great product from a manufacturer doesn't imply others will be great too. In fact, it bothers me quite a bit when I see a lot of disparity in performance from the same brand. I believe Yamaha is in that camp.
post #73 of 334 Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
The Pre-Amp outs would have been nice, but they have to weigh features vs price. There is a limit to the number of features they can add and still maintain a price point.

Though I do see your point. The Sub out is essentially a Pre-Out. If you have the Pre-Out you could use it for the Sub, but you can NOT use the Sub-Out in place of a Pre-Out. So, the Pre-Out would have been a more versatile option. But a bit more complex circuit which could be a bit more expensive.

Some floorstanders can go reasonably deep. My Diamond 9.6 with 2x8" bass drivers each go down to 28hz at -6db. The Polk A9 go down to about 25hz at -6db.

But many speakers, like Focal or the new B&W CM series are willing to sacrifice a bit of deep bass in exchange for absolute clarity. I'm OK with that. Something for everyone. To have both absolute clarity and deep bass is going to cost a very considerable amount of money.

Next, on the issue of bass depth, while technically there is music with very deep bass, it is also very rare. People can ramble on about 16hz Pipe Organs, but when was the last time you listen to a recording of a Pipe Organ, and if you did, when was the last time they tapped the 16hz bass pedal? Extremely rare I assure you.

For a vast majority of people, you do not need bass below about 30hz. Even many speaker with bass down to 40hz still sound very good with virtually all the music most people are likely to encounter. This is reasonably easy to find reasonably price somewhat large floorstanding speakers that reach down near 30hz.

What most gain from a Sub is not bass depth but bass impact. A big bass speaker pushes a huge amount of air, and that creates impact. But for common music, there is virtually nothing below 30hz. Though Movie Sound Tracks are very different, they can have deeper bass. But music, not so much.

I'm personally not very big on Subwoofers, big shock I'm sure, I have great bass impact for movies without a sub, and don't need it for music. But, I have nothing against those that do want to use a Sub. It is a complex world with an unlimited number of possibilities. As long as the user is satisfied, then I'm satisfied.

As to Yamaha, they had to make some decision. I think they saw the Subwoofer out as a selling point, and it is found on most of their Stereo Amps. Just being able to say you have a Sub Out will sell more amps than saying you have a Pre-Amp out. Even though you and I know, that the Pre-Out could just as easily be used as a Sub-Out. They made a marketing decision.

Steve/bluewizard
Lots of classical music goes down below 30Hz.
post #74 of 334 Old 04-07-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoski View Post
...Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
The Yamaha is a nice unit and something that I would be proud to own but...it still is a middle of the road consumer grade piece of gear so it is not going to be significantly different than the AVR you have now. If you buy it, the reasoning would be because you like it but I would not expect a major improvement in sound from what you already own. YMMV

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #75 of 334 Old 04-07-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Lots of classical music goes down below 30Hz.
And most Jazz, Pop, Rock, Folk, Blues, Country, and even Classical ... does NOT.

Steve/bluewizard
post #76 of 334 Old 04-07-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
My Onkyo TX-8522 is 10 years old. As far as I know, it is OK, but would the purchase of the Yamaha make any improvement in my music?
Unless your Onkyo is broken, I don't see why you would want to replace it. If you want better sound, work on speakers and room acoustics. Those two are where the real sound quality gain can be had.
post #77 of 334 Old 04-07-2017, 09:28 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
And most Jazz, Pop, Rock, Folk, Blues, Country, and even Classical ... does NOT.

Steve/bluewizard
But some DOES!!! I know I have music in the blues classical and rock genres that does and I want to hear that bass.
post #78 of 334 Old 04-08-2017, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

So I finally get to my question regarding the A-S801. My Onkyo TX-8522 is 10 years old. As far as I know, it is OK, but would the purchase of the Yamaha make any improvement in my music?

And finally, I contacted an outfit called Hi-Fi Heaven in Greenbay Wisconsin that offered me $250 trade in for the Onkyo on the Yamaha at its list price of $899. Should I go for it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Some would say a little 50/50 cream in their coffee makes an improvement while other would say skim milk while others would say keep it black as any kind of milk makes it taste worse. For me turning rap music off makes a huge improvement in what I hear in my living room but I digress. I think you can see what I'm getting at. We all have different tastes. You'll have to listen to it at home and make your own decision if a different amp is an improvement over the old or not. Hopefully the retailer allows returns if not satisfied.
post #79 of 334 Old 04-08-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
But some DOES!!! I know I have music in the blues classical and rock genres that does and I want to hear that bass.
Yes, SOME do, but most don't. Though I seriously doubt you have Blues that goes below 30hz. But that is irrelevant. If you need Sub-30hz, buy it, but most people do not need it. It is about suitability to purpose. If it suits your purpose - fine. But for most who don't need bass that deep, they will get by just fine with a Speaker that goes down into the vicinity of 30hz.

Quoting myself -

Next, on the issue of bass depth, while technically there is music with very deep bass, it is also very rare. People can ramble on about 16hz Pipe Organs, but when was the last time you listen to a recording of a Pipe Organ, and if you did, when was the last time they tapped the 16hz bass pedal? Extremely rare I assure you.

For a vast majority of people, you do not need bass below about 30hz.

I never denied that such music existed, only claimed that most people do not need bass that deep. For those who do feel they need Sub-30hz bass - ROCK AND ROLL DUDE!

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 04-08-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #80 of 334 Old 04-08-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... But for most who don't need bass that deep, they will get by just fine with a Speaker that goes down into the vicinity of 30hz....
My self imposed minimum lower limit is 35hz for a full range system. You can have a very enjoyable musical experience with a speaker that can do that. Although that last bit of info down into the teens is pretty cool.

post #81 of 334 Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
My self imposed minimum lower limit is 35hz for a full range system. You can have a very enjoyable musical experience with a speaker that can do that. Although that last bit of info down into the teens is pretty cool.
I agree, mid-30's at -3db, which takes you down to about 28hz to 30hz at -6db. That's fine for a vast majority of music that people are listening to.

What most people perceive as deep bass from a Sub, and we are talking Music here, is really more powerful amps drive diaphragms that are moving considerably more air. Most sound that we perceive as bass is really in the 80hz to 120hz range. (more or less)

Yes, there are some circumstances in which bass does go down into the 20's, but rare in music.

In my case, using only Stereo with NO Sub, for movies, I have had bass impact so intense that it ruffled my hair, and caused my pant legs to flap. The deepest bass I have is 28hz at -6db. I think I'm doing OK for both Music and Movies.

But yes there are some rare circumstances where truly deeper bass is needed, but that is more rare than people think.

At least ... in my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard
post #82 of 334 Old 04-09-2017, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9547 Post(s)
Liked: 6589
How much would it really have cost to add pre outs/main ins?

That gives a great deal of flexibility including adding in a sub with rudimentary bass management that would high pass back to the amp.

Geoff A. J., California
post #83 of 334 Old 04-09-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
How much would it really have cost to add pre outs/main ins?

That gives a great deal of flexibility including adding in a sub with rudimentary bass management that would high pass back to the amp.
I'm inclined to agree, in an amp of this quality is was a mistake not to include a Pre-Amp out at least. Though the Pre-Amp/Main-In jumper found on older models and only one new model that I can find.

Currently the Yamaha RS700 (100w/ch) Receiver still has this feature, and also includes a Sub-Out. So it seems it is certainly something they could have done.

Given that this (AS801) is something of their top consumer grade amp, you would have thought it would be included. Still, I'm sure they weighed the cost/benefit and decided against it. Though I still think that as a mistake.

Steve/bluewzard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YamahaRS700Pre-Pwr.jpg
Views:	3641
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2075985  
Panson likes this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 04-10-2017 at 07:32 AM.
post #84 of 334 Old 04-09-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9547 Post(s)
Liked: 6589
Quote:
I'm inclined to agree, in an amp of this quality is was a mistake not to include a Pre-Amp out at least. Though the Pre-Amp/Main-In jumper found on older models and only one new model that I can find.

Currently the Yamaha RS700 (100w/ch) Receiver still has this feature, and also includes a Sub-Out. So it seems it is certainly something they could have done.

Given that this is something of their top consumer grade amp, you would have thought it would be included. Still, I'm sure they weighed the cost/benefit and decided against it. Though I still think that as a mistake.

Steve/bluewzard
Wow, and only $500!

Geoff A. J., California
post #85 of 334 Old 04-09-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, and only $500!
Not sure of your point, it is a 100w/ch AM/FM Stereo Receiver.

My point was that Yamaha Certainly knows how to do this, given that they have been doing it for years, and you would also think that on a higher end $900 Integrated amp, it could have been added.

Steve/bluewizard
post #86 of 334 Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 PM

I'm sure most of us at some point in our lives have had the chance to play the full range of notes on a piano. To get a sense of how low 30 Hz really is the lowest note on a 88 key piano is A0 which has a frequency of 27.5 Hz. The third key up is B0 and it is 30.8677 Hz. If a common piano can play below 30 Hz then its nice to hear it's full range accurately.

Last edited by Garry R; 04-09-2017 at 07:19 PM.
post #87 of 334 Old 04-09-2017, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, and only $500!
Quote:
Not sure of your point, it is a 100w/ch AM/FM Stereo Receiver...
I took it mean that it was a bargain. I have spent 1500 bucks on a 50 watt integrated in the past. You know the kind with an on/off switch and a volume control, LOL.
gajCA likes this.

post #88 of 334 Old 04-10-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry R View Post
I'm sure most of us at some point in our lives have had the chance to play the full range of notes on a piano. To get a sense of how low 30 Hz really is the lowest note on a 88 key piano is A0 which has a frequency of 27.5 Hz. The third key up is B0 and it is 30.8677 Hz. If a common piano can play below 30 Hz then its nice to hear it's full range accurately.
Speakers rated in the 30hz range can still play 27.5 hz. Though in all fairness, when was the last time you heard the lowest note on a piano much less the lowest note on an organ. I suspect even a speaker rated at 35hz can still play a 27.5hz note, just at a very slightly diminished volume. That is, should such a rare occurrence happen in which the lowest note on a piano was played, most floorstanding speakers are going to let you hear it.

And for reference, the lowest note on a Bass Guitar is 40hz.

Still good point, it does help put the frequency range of common instruments in perspective.

Steve/bluewizard
post #89 of 334 Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Speakers rated in the 30hz range can still play 27.5 hz. Though in all fairness, when was the last time you heard the lowest note on a piano much less the lowest note on an organ. I suspect even a speaker rated at 35hz can still play a 27.5hz note, just at a very slightly diminished volume. That is, should such a rare occurrence happen in which the lowest note on a piano was played, most floorstanding speakers are going to let you hear it.

And for reference, the lowest note on a Bass Guitar is 40hz.

Still good point, it does help put the frequency range of common instruments in perspective.

Steve/bluewizard
How many times the first tone or last tone or anything between are played is irrelevent.
post #90 of 334 Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry R View Post
How many times the first tone or last tone or anything between are played is irrelevent.
...Times ...how many times a note is played? Not sure what that has to do with anything, so in a sense I agree.

But, the current subject is how deep of notes can be reproduced, and even a floorstanding speaker rated at 35hz is going to be able to play a 27.5hz note.

But, the fact that such a note is very rarely in existence does have some relevance regarding the likelihood of having such a need.

In another thread someone posted a 33hz note and a tone sweep from 20hz upward. With speakers rated at 60hz, I could still hear a tone at both 33hz and on the 20hz and up sweep. I suspect with the same volume control setting a 1khz tone would have been louder, but none the less I could hear sound at 20hz and at 33hz with speakers rated at 60hz.

Though I did get your point and commented as such. It is nice to have the piano to serve as perspective, which is what I assumed you point was.

Here is an Interactive Frequency Response Chart showing the Fundamental Notes and Harmonic of just about every musical instrument, expanding on the idea of what frequencies we are likely to need to reproduce.

http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

Piano = 27.5hz to ~4khz
Tuba = 29hz
ContraBasson = 29hz
Organ = ~20hz to ~7khz

And for quick references, this chart below -

Though it is entirely possible that I DID miss your point completely.

Steve/bluewizard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2135221262_c5c1643a34_o.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2077265  

Last edited by bluewizard; 10-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
a-s700 , a-s800 , a-s801 , frontpage , usb dac , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page