What's the best way to clean your vinyl? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #31 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
White Wood Glue does work ... if you do it right.

If you put it on too thin, it is extremely hard to get off. But it does absolutely clean your records spotlessly.

But equally, there is the potential for complications.

I would go to the Salvation Army or Goodwill Store and buy a crap used record or two, and clean them first until you get the hang of it. Don't put any of your good albums at risk until you are sure if and how it will work.

Also, keel in mind this (wood glue) is something you do once in a lifetime per album. It is not something you do regularly.

Steve/bluewizard

Still, I would personally never try it -- I've seen just as many "horror videos" about people who, seemingly using it correctly, have had disastrous results...I'd rather find another way or abandon vinyl altogether...you shouldn't have to work so hard to clean a medium before getting the MUSIC contained within its delivery platforms to play through loudspeakers or headphones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Every day I get in the bathroom. If I bathe, is that pre-cleaning? Should I shower afterwards to wash?
In Japan, you wash before you get in the tub.

The whole bathroom is waterproof, you enter, shower and soap, rinse, then soak.

Very bad manners to get into the tub un-pre-washed.

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #33 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked: 2000
I'll keep that in mind if I go to Japan.
Wonder how they clean LP's. Maybe they use a bidet to pre-wash their LP's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Still, I would personally never try it -- I've seen just as many "horror videos" about people who, seemingly using it correctly, have had disastrous results.....
It is a daring move, but when it works it works.

White Glue Vinyl Cleaning SUCCESS -

White Glue Vinyl Cleaning DISASTER -

Wrong Glue, Applied to thin, though he was, with the help of YouTubers, able to recover his albums.

White Glue Vinyl Cleaning DISASTER - REVISITED -

Long boring, mostly he rants about mean YouTube commenters, but points out he was able to restore the albums he thought he ruined.

Use the right Glue, put on a thick coat, test the method several times using Salvation Army used records.

Lastly, you only have to do this about once every 5 or 10 years, if even that.

Or just part with $100 and get the most economical automatic record clearer out there - The Spin Clean -

Steve/bluewizard
post #35 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I considered the Spin Clean; can their fluid be used with any record cleaning brush? In other words, if I didn't want to buy the reservoir system but just the fluid (which is sold in a Fry's near me), could I apply the fluid with a brush like any other kind of cleaner?
post #36 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is one man's washing method.

Instead of PhotoFlo or Triton X-114 he uses Dishwasher Rinse Agent.

Again, there are just about as many methods and forumulas as there are people to create them.

Steve/bluewizard
post #37 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I've seen his video too...I've probably seen all of the YouTube videos about record cleaning already; it's where I got the idea to use the method I employ now, which is the Dawn soap and water...
post #38 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And here is someone else's method of washing a Vinyl Disc in the Kitchen Sink -

He submerges the Record in the water, I don't recommend that. You can make you own label protector as shown below. Instructions at the Link provided.

Once again, here are the materials and method I use for washing records, though admittedly this is for small volume, mostly due to my limited space -

https://www.avforums.com/threads/was...cheap.1583453/

Stage 1 -

Put the Label Protector on and tighten it down.

You need -

- a Sprayer with Isopropyl Alcohol 70%
- Common Dish Washing Soap
- A Sprayer with Distilled Water

Fill a small bowl with some tepid water, and a bit of dish washing liquid. You want soap, not dishwasher liquid; minimum dye and minimum perfume.

Though it seems a huge waste of water, turn the tap on and adjust the temperature until the water is mildly warm, but not even remotely hot, and let it run. Once the temperature is set, it is too hard to keep turning the water on and off, and getting the same temperature back again.

Use the paint brush to rub the soapy liquid on to the surface of the record an into the grooves. Clean both sides in this fashion. I tend to use a circular motion with the brush to try and get it down into the grooves.

Then using a paint painter's pad, rub in broad circles following the grooves of the records. Both sides.

When you feel it is sufficiently clean, rinse with tepid tap water.

Wipe the record with micro-fiber towels to dry it. I use two different colors, though three different colored towels would be even better, so you don't mix the hard water drying towels with the distilled water drying towels.

Stage 2 -

Alcohol is not generally good for vinyl, it makes it brittle, so we really want to minimize the time the alcohol spends on the record. Though I use straight 70% isopropyl, you could dilute that by 30% or 50% with distilled water, making the final mixture between 35% and 50% alcohol.

Spray one side of the Record with alcohol, and wipe with a new paint pad in the direction of the grooves. Rinse quickly in tap water. Do the same to the other side.

The alcohol acts as a solvent, and not only directly cleans, but combines with the soapy water residue to make sure it is completely rinsed off and that no residue of soap remains.

Dry with Micro-Fiber Towels.

Stage 3-

Spray with distilled water, rub in the direction of the grooves with another new paint pad, do this to both sides and wipe dry with a micro-fiber towel.

If you have a rack for air drying diner plates, this is ideal for letting the Records air dry, as it keeps them separated nicely.

The records must be completely dry before you put them back into the sleeves as there is a chance that mold and mildew will form on them if they are not completely dry.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-02-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #39 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Yeah, I considered the Spin Clean; can their fluid be used with any record cleaning brush? In other words, if I didn't want to buy the reservoir system but just the fluid (which is sold in a Fry's near me), could I apply the fluid with a brush like any other kind of cleaner?

For Pre-Play cleaning, I really prefer a sprayer. Just a fine mist on the cloth or the records, and you should be able to wipe dust clean.

Keep in mind, you only use 3 capfulls from the small 4 oz bottle for the entire Spin Clean full of water, and this washes several records. So you could add a few drops to distilled water and it would probably make a good Pre-Play cleaning solution.

What I do to test solutions is to either put a few drops on vinyl (clear vinyl that you buy at a fabric store), or onto glass. Take a glass glass, make sure it is spotlessly clean, and turn it upside down, put a few drops on the surface and wait for it to dry. When dry, see if there is any residue. You don't want residue.

If any residue is left behind, then I would only use a weak bit in distilled water, or just distilled water.

Or you could add a couple of drops of Dishwasher Rinse Agent to the water. Again, if you do, use the above test to determine if there is or the amount of residue left behind after it drys.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 07-02-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #40 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 06:53 PM

My Ghaaaddd in Heaven....sometimes I question why I got back into this medium in the first place...
post #41 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
For Pre-Play cleaning, I really prefer a sprayer. Just a fine mist on the cloth or the records, and you should be able to wipe dust clean.

Keep in mind, you only use 3 capfulls from the small 4 oz bottle for the entire Spin Clean full of water, and this washes several records. So you could add a few drops to distilled water and it would probably make a good Pre-Play cleaning solution.

What I do to test solutions is to either put a few drops on vinyl (clear vinyl that you buy at a fabric store), or onto glass. Take a glass glass, make sure it is spotlessly clean, and turn it upside down, put a few drops on the surface and wait for it to dry. When dry, see if there is any residue. You don't want residue.

If any residue is left behind, then I would only use a weak bit in distilled water, or just distilled water.

Or you could add a couple of drops of Dishwasher Rinse Agent to the water. Again, if you do, use the above test to determine if there is or the amount of residue left behind after it drys.

Steve/bluewizard
Ah! I finally got what is meant by "Pre-play cleaning"! It's a cosmetic cleaning of the land between the grooves so the record looks pretty when you play it, but it has no sonic beneifit! Got it! So if you "wash" or deep clean, and I assume you do every record, with something that actually gets into the grooves at the stylus contact point, then do you "pre-play clean" because of all the gunk that gets stuck all over the records when they sit in the rice paper sleeves?

I have problems with scratches, they're all over every record. I just don't understand it. I just sanded them all down with #2 grit sandpaper a few weeks ago.
post #42 of 46 Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
Ah! I finally got what is meant by "Pre-play cleaning"! It's a cosmetic cleaning of the land between the grooves so the record looks pretty when you play it, but it has no sonic beneifit!.... .
Almost, though I suspect you are being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian.

The bristles of velvet, carbon brush, and similar material do reach down in the grooves and remove 'dust' and 'dust'-like material. But it won't remove material that is stuck on the vinyl, for that you need to wash the records.

Steve/bluewizard
IntelliVolume likes this.
post #43 of 46 Old 07-04-2015, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG123
I go to the sink and use a clean sponge and a drop or less of soap and then rinse thoroughly.

Yeah basically what I do
post #44 of 46 Old 07-04-2015, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1435
Maybe someday every home will have a dedicated multi-format total-immersion home theater

And a clean room for playing LPs

I'll be back later...

System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI with AcourateDRC > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #45 of 46 Old 07-04-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
Maybe someday every home will have a dedicated multi-format total-immersion home theater

And a clean room for playing LPs
I barely have one clean room now....
post #46 of 46 Old 07-04-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yeah basically what I do

Me too, and what I was trying to describe in my post about it...

I use a gentle dishwashing soap like Dawn, scrub in the direction of the grooves (round and round) real good, rinse, and dry real well. I don't think this is any worse, at least, than using alcohol-based commercial record cleaning fluids...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page