The "need" to spend lots of money - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes
Closed Thread

post #241 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
With amps... nah. You gotta spend at least a grand, sorry.
Which level matched DBT showed this to be the case? I would like to check it out. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
pathetic .. reading competently .. spouting off ignorantly... idiocies ...
Insults, the rhetoric tool of the feeble-minded, and if this is how you enjoy spending your Sundays it says a lot about you. Have a wonderful day.
post #243 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
You continue to ridicule, call me a liar, and expect me to feel better for it? I am sure others you come in contact with wish they could be as superior as you are.

You suggest maybe the Sony player is faulty hence it not performng quite as well as the Samsung? Did you not read that I have two Sony 6500 players and they sound identical? Nor is any part of my theater-room system not performing as it should.

I mentioned other audible differences, not simply the location of the cymbals. There were further differences as well that I did not talk about, such as the Samsung's more natural bite with the brass instruments (the Sony is overly mellow). Also, Ronstadt's voice is rendered with more detail via the Samsung, along with her voice sounding closer to the microphone. In general, the Sony lacks some inner detail as one goes up the audio band. The Sony, though, may be ideal for use in an audio system that tends to be bright.

What audio system are you using that doesn't let you differentiate between disc players? What transports have you compared on it?
Good grief why would I want to expand on your informal comparison results? If you want to spend your time doing such meaningless comparisons, that's your gig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Which level matched DBT showed this to be the case? I would like to check it out. Thanks in advance.
You know the burden of proof applies to *both* our arguments, since even though you state your *opinion* with a lot of conviction (and repetitiveness) it's doesn't make it a truth that puts any burden of proof on me. Let's agree to disagree.
maxfli44 likes this.
post #245 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_now View Post
Do you have both players set to bitsream their audio output? Or are the players doing the processing?

Is it possible there is a setting difference in one player vs the other that can cause your perceived difference? It sounds like dsp mode alteration to me.
All players set for bitstream output only. Yamaha AVR set to Pure Direct (i.e., no DSP processing, no crossover filters engaged, etc.).

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #246 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
Insults, the rhetoric tool of the feeble-minded, and if this is how you enjoy spending your Sundays it says a lot about you. Have a wonderful day.
The irony of your reply is another reading comp issue: your quote only captured one insult ("pathetic") in four attempts. Two of the others were premises proven by the text you omitted, and the fourth ("idiocies") is pretty much the most respectful possible way to address any claimed equivalency between sonic differences in loudspeakers and sonic differences in amps.

Ironically, one is the same number of insults you projected onto me in your reply. You should be careful with projection, especially when there is a written record to reveal how transparent said projection is.

But onto the substance, which you ignored. I repeat:

Please point out a figure in a Stereophile article that is (to use your words) "the same type of measurements" as a Powercube.

Or retract your statement, "Stereophile publishes the same type of measurements."

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 01-10-2016 at 02:47 PM.
post #247 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
Sony and Samsung are not those esoteric companies making digital players with "colored" sound.

The difference you heard was most likely due to volume difference.
How does anyone take you seriously with this post? You use the frequency response graph of a Samsung telephone as an example of how a Samsung Blu-ray player performs? Then you use an FR measurement of a Sony SACD player that costs $5,000 to demonstrate the performance of a $99 Sony Blu-ray player?

What audio system are you utilizing to compare Blu-ray players? Which specific player models have you compared using what music recording?

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #248 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 379 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Drop it guys. Don't get thrown out over this...

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #249 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Don't sell ATI short. Their internal build quality equals or exceeds anyone else's. A McIntosh has more emphasis on striking appearance (to me, a Bryston isn't better looking, just different), but is an equal or lesser amp.

Technically, IMO the ATI 4000/6000 is the finest AB amp currently available. The 2000/3000 (and rebadges for Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Outlaw, etc) is, in terms of measured performance, maybe a quarter-step back.
Good post thanks. I agree, ATI makes a marvelous amp - why I bought one and put the savings into speakers. ATI's reliability is equal to anyone's and I agree, their 6000 series is state of the art for AB amps.

Though I do wish they would make a dedicated two-channel chassis for the 6000 series. It is a configurable beast.

(for what it is worth, the Audio Critic uses a multichannel ATI to power his own set-up).

Last edited by clpetersen; 01-10-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #250 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There's a reason why Audiophile is seen as a derogatory term in a lot of circles, and this discussion is quite a proof of that... Stereophile magazine would be proud!
post #251 of 252 Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Good post thanks. I agree, ATI makes a marvelous amp - why I bought one and put the savings into speakers. ATI's reliability is equal to anyone's and I agree, their 6000 series is state of the art for AB amps.

Though I do wish they would make a dedicated two-channel chassis for the 6000 series. It is a configurable beast.

(for what it is worth, the Audio Critic uses a multichannel ATI to power his own set-up).
Yes they build good amps. Remind me of the average price point. :-)

Amp design is a well established art (outside of the not so recent Hypex designs). But several aspects about amp design aren't cheap. No matter where you build them (and the current economy in China bears the point where that represented a huge cost drop is over).
post #252 of 252 Old 01-11-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1812 Post(s)
Liked: 3586
Closed

OP has not logged on since October

based on the number of reports received for this thread, I think it best
Ratman and TheNightwisher like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page