Nakamichi Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #31 of 69 Old 10-31-2017, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 26814
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstech1 View Post
Thanks guys for the warm welcome! Good community here!
My RE-10 had a Tone switch which would make a crackle when pressed on/off. Yep... contact cleaner did the job in fixing it. I'm so enjoying my vinyl as I type this post.
2channel8, I understand you about having good old memories of the 90's. I saw my first Nakamichi display next to McIntosh equipment at this high end stereo shop back in the 90's. I drooled over the gear and thought no way I can ever afford this stuff but OMG... sound so clean and accurate! Here I am now.... Happy Days from here on!
You're quite welcome 2channel8

I just ordered the DeoxIT.

If you're inclined to share what music you're playing and care to see what others are listening to you can click here -> [ Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now ]. Minimal "conversation" but it can lead picking up more LPs and CDs

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 69 Old 10-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thanks Matt2026 for the link. Will check it out now!

John
Matt2026 likes this.
post #33 of 69 Old 11-06-2017, 07:31 PM

Just taking a shot here..... I'm really enjoying my Nakamichi RE-10 but would like to know more about it so anyone here know where I can download the manual for this?
Thanks in advance!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 69 Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstech1 View Post
Just taking a shot here..... I'm really enjoying my Nakamichi RE-10 but would like to know more about it so anyone here know where I can download the manual for this?
Thanks in advance!

John
Hi John,

Sometime manuals can be found on ebay...

I searched a bit and found links, several are below. I have no experience with the following businesses...

Specs at CNET: https://www.cnet.com/products/nakami...eceiver/specs/

User manual PDF, have to create a free account http://e-libdigital.com/download/nak...user-guide.pdf

A couple of links to purchase the service manual:

PDF download, $16.95, http://www.analogalley.com/osccart/p...products_id=54

Paper hard copy $29.95 https://www.servicemanuals.net/NAKAM...09/detail.aspx

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #35 of 69 Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 27
HiFi engine library has manuals for the RE-1, RE-2, and RE3; but not RE-10
You need to join for access. It's Free
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...akamichi.shtml
post #36 of 69 Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 AM

Thanks guys for the help. Yes I did see some of those links....just me being cheap and hoping there was a free option. Oh I already joined the hifiengine site and still...no literature on the RE10. Go figure huh?

John
post #37 of 69 Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Red face Nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightwisher View Post
I haven't seen a dedicated thread for Nakamichi, so I decided to start one. I recently acquired a Nakamichi RE-2 on EBay for $58 and it sounds wonderful. Everything sounds so much better now than it did on my Yamaha surround receiver. I wanted to start a thread to let others share their experiences with this once-great company, meaning the pre-2002 company that produced high end gear and not the reorganized post-bankruptcy one.
Hi; I just got a Nakamichi SR-4. It is in good shape and sounds real good. I hooked it up to new HIFI Bookself speakers. To stream TIDAL ( Master guilty music). I also listen to some vinyl. If I find any more I will buy them.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #38 of 69 Old 01-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hartling View Post
Hi; I just got a Nakamichi SR-4. It is in good shape and sounds real good. I hooked it up to new HIFI Bookself speakers. To stream TIDAL ( Master guilty music). I also listen to some vinyl. If I find any more I will buy them.
Welcome to one of the most exclusive groups in audio appreciation. Not that we exclude anyone; there just aren't many of us left.
Keep the marque alive!
Matt2026 likes this.
post #39 of 69 Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 AM

Liked: 13
Nakamichi AV500 from 1999

I bought NK AV-500 and Infinity speakers + sub from BestBuy in 1999 - mostly rental VHS tapes. This was my first home theater setup (with a 30" Panasonic CRT curved television. That's right - curved, but not today's curve . It was not a flat screen - it was a convex curve on the entire screen.

Once DVDs became mainstream, I bought a DVD player with Dolby Digital / AC3 decoder. I moved from an apartment to a house with a large 2 story family room (about 18x18ft) that opened to the kitchen. I thought I will have to upgrade my setup. I was so wrong. I continued to enjoy the system in the large room, loud and clear.

Meanwhile, my friends starting setting with the likes of Yamaha, Onkyo etc. They had the fancy features, Dobly Digital, DTS etc. I thought the features were cool, but I liked my sound better. I did not know what was better or why it was better.

I think after about 6 years when I could not ignore HDMI anymore, I bought my first plasma TV (Panasonic) with HDMI input. It is at that time I decided to buy a "modern" receiver (Denon 989). HDMI switching became a requirement and the TV did not have ARC. Used the same infinity speakers. I packed my Nakamichi away at this point.

Eventually, about 5 years back I built a dedicated theater room in the house with a projector, SEAS Pendragon speakers for LCR, 2xHSU subs, old infinity speakers for rear and Sherbourn 7-350 amplifiers. My Denon became the processor, connected to Sherbourn. My plan was to complete the theater with proper on-wall surround speakers (7.2). Infinity speakers are doing a good job as rear speakers, but they are on the floor at an inconvenient spot.

Now I learned about Dolby atmos. I am going for a 7.2.4 setup with Anthem AVM 60 as the processor. I have zero'd in on Goldenear Super Sat3 for surrounds(4) and ceilings(4), demanding 11 channels of amplification - but I have only 7 from Sherbourn. My plan was to use the Denon for the 4 ceiling atmos speakers. Then it dawned on me - I could use the Nakamichi AV500 instead.

That is what got me to this thread. Right now, Nakamichi is connected to my son's drums kit, driving one Infinity speaker and an Infinity sub. I have a feeling the Nakamichi will do a better job than Denon as an external amp for the ceiling speakers.

The 7.1 channel Denon total power is 805W, but the Nakamichi 5 channel is over 900W. I believe the Nakamichi can deliver ~150W/ch to 8 ohm, where as the Denon may deliver up to 80W/ch to the same speakers.

When I bought the AV500 (while on AOL dial-up internet) I didn't know much about speakers or amplifiers. I think I just ended up buying a great system without really knowing about it. I will deploy the system hopefully in the next 2 months. I will come back and be sure to write about it.

I am very thankful to whoever started this thread.
Matt2026 likes this.

HOME THEATER
Panasonic : PT-AE8000U
AVR (pre-pro): Denon AVR 989
Amp : Sherbourne PA7-350
Oppo 103D
Pendragon-SE
Dual HSU ULS15Panamorph UH480
Seymour AV 120"x60", curved, AT Screen
Sony Google TV
Omnimount : RE27
Nakamichi CDC300 - CD Player

FAMILY ROOM
Samsung 60" LCD
Nakamichi AVR
Infinity...
post #40 of 69 Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up PROCRASTINATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE is Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I just ordered the DeoxIT.
What can I say... I've had the DeoxIT since early November 2017 Yeah, I can drag my feet a long ways, plus I have an RE2 in there right now so there was no pressure............

Popped the lid off the RE1 this morning after firing it up and verifying there is still noise and dropout issues Dang thing refused to fix itself. checked out the [Balance] pot which sits under the PCB its soldered into. There's a small hole I could see on the side so I sprayed some DeoxIT into it. There was also a hole in the back side and I blasted a good shot in there and had it coming out the side hole, maybe even places I couldn't see.

I turned the knob stop-to-stop a number of times and the noise was gone and the left channel did not drop out. So I left it for a while and then repeated the procedure. and left it turned almost fully clockwise just in case there was some contaminated fluid on the contact so that should there be any it would not be near the center position where it usually sits.

I may give it one more shot before I button it up and put it back in its rightful place It will be satisfying to see it back in the stack. Now I have to pull the CDC-4A player, which of course is on the bottom, and decided to eat my Let It Be Album and refuses to give it back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo Closed.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2426420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo Open 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	2426422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Beatles LET IT BE (CD).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	2426424  

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #41 of 69 Old 12-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Liked: 1
Nakamichi Estate Find

I purchased 3 Nakamichi audio pieces at a local estate sale.

1. Nakamichi Receiver 1
2. Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2
3. Nakamichi CD Player 2

All three are new in the original boxes. The son of the owner told me he never remembered his dad ever taking these items out of the box nor hooking them up. With that said,they are mint and appear to new. None of them have any paperwork or remotes. I found the user manual for the Cassette Deck 2 and CD Player 2 online but cannot find the user manual for the Receiver 1. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find it, please let me know. I plan on hooking these up this week to make sure they work properly. I am considering selling them and wondering if I should sell all three together or sell individually. Since they appear ti be new, I am not sure what to ask for them. I have been selling on Ebay for 20 years and considering listing them there, but am also considering selling on Audiogon, but have never sold anything on their site. Any help would be appreciated.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #42 of 69 Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmyers View Post
I purchased 3 Nakamichi audio pieces at a local estate sale.

1. Nakamichi Receiver 1
2. Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2
3. Nakamichi CD Player 2

All three are new in the original boxes. The son of the owner told me he never remembered his dad ever taking these items out of the box nor hooking them up. With that said,they are mint and appear to new. None of them have any paperwork or remotes. I found the user manual for the Cassette Deck 2 and CD Player 2 online but cannot find the user manual for the Receiver 1. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find it, please let me know. I plan on hooking these up this week to make sure they work properly. I am considering selling them and wondering if I should sell all three together or sell individually. Since they appear ti be new, I am not sure what to ask for them. I have been selling on Ebay for 20 years and considering listing them there, but am also considering selling on Audiogon, but have never sold anything on their site. Any help would be appreciated.
You lucky [email protected]#d! I have the Receiver 2,(still love it) which is covered in the same owner's manual as the 1; but I only have it in hard copy as I am the original owner. I think you can download it from HiFi Engine; but my log-in never works. I have the service manual if that helps: OOPs This stupid site won't let me upload. Too large. How frustrating! You might try http://www.hifi-manuals.com/Nakamichi
post #43 of 69 Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I picked up a Dragon in '91 when I was in Japan and returned it because it squealed during auto reverse. I exchanged it for a second unit and it did the same out of the box. I wound up with an RX-505 since they didn't have any more Dragons in stock. That model squealed about 6 months in but did it occasionally. Once I made my transition to CDs, she sat there unused until one day, about a decade or so ago?, I wanted to archive some recordings but some Dolby buttons wouldn't stay in. Not sure what else could be breaking internally and briefly looked at possible repairs. Didn't find much but one place liked to refurb the entire unit instead of focusing on actual issues.

I have a TEAC that refuses to spin tapes so out of luck there too.
post #44 of 69 Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotB& View Post
I picked up a Dragon in '91 when I was in Japan and returned it because it squealed during auto reverse. I exchanged it for a second unit and it did the same out of the box. I wound up with an RX-505 since they didn't have any more Dragons in stock. That model squealed about 6 months in but did it occasionally. Once I made my transition to CDs, she sat there unused until one day, about a decade or so ago?, I wanted to archive some recordings but some Dolby buttons wouldn't stay in. Not sure what else could be breaking internally and briefly looked at possible repairs. Didn't find much but one place liked to refurb the entire unit instead of focusing on actual issues.

I have a TEAC that refuses to spin tapes so out of luck there too.
You don't say which place you contacted. Someone posted about repairs but I don't know what level this guy goes to: http://willyhermannservices.com/

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #45 of 69 Old 03-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
I have a CR-7A cassette deck, I think it was just below the Dragon which I couldn't afford. The cassette deck has a problem now and the tapes will play about half way through and then stop. Probably won't get fixed...
Sounds like a problem very common to Nakamichi cassette decks. The archiving company I work for uses the MR-1 for it's balanced outputs and tape lifting mechanism. These are difficult to find in good shape. We've purchased several stated as "working" only to find out they have the dreaded reel motor dead spots. After some time the rotor and contacts get corroded and during playback hits dead spots. The takeup stops, but the capstan continues until the tape motion sensor stops it. You're left with a small loop of tape on the takeup side of the cassette.

The remedy is to remove the rear end cap, clean the commutator and brushes and reassemble. Doesn't sound hard until you realize the size and delicacy of the brushes. I've seen a procedure where a paper clip is used to lift the brushes for disassembly. I have two bad units I plan to do this on in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out.
post #46 of 69 Old 03-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
You don't say which place you contacted. Someone posted about repairs but I don't know what level this guy goes to: http://willyhermannservices.com/
Didn't contact a place. I saw references to one and several comments mentioned what I did. It was a while back. I'll have to check your link. Thanks.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #47 of 69 Old 08-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Nakamichi Dragon CD and Cassette Player design still look modern and elegant up to today. I wish someone resurrect Nakamichi brand to produce high end audio equipment again...
Matt2026 likes this.
post #48 of 69 Old 09-10-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Well....I just discovered this fine thread. Good job, guys.

You all have me fixing to fire up my BX-100 again. I bought it new, ca. 1985 when I upgraded my entire stereo system. (Unfortunately, I got rid of my 1972 JBL L100s for about 50 bucks at that time. ) The Nak is the only piece of equipment that has traveled with me all these years. It had the dreaded tape hesitation problem early on, but a repair tech had it rolling again with a lovely presentation.

Gads...I wonder if it still works. It has been at least 20 years since that power button has been engaged. Nevertheless, it sits proudly, slumming amidst my Denon stack I'll have to dig around for my remaining cassettes.

Cheers.
Matt2026 likes this.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #49 of 69 Old 09-22-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well...I'm SOL. My BX-100 is on strike and refuses to work. It has the usual issue...it won't spin up a tape. I guess it's like the rest of our family...gettin' old and decrepit. I don't know if it's worth fixing at this point. I'm pretty rural. There aren't a lot of Mr. Cassette Fixits around these parts.

Anyone have any quick things to try?

MARGARITAS,
post #50 of 69 Old 09-23-2019, 05:13 AM

I am so sorry to hear that. Only 11 days after joining the thread. I didn't even have time to say "welcome." Best of luck with it. I imagine you have quite a collection of cassettes.
Mudslide likes this.
post #51 of 69 Old 09-24-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
I am so sorry to hear that. Only 11 days after joining the thread. I didn't even have time to say "welcome." Best of luck with it. I imagine you have quite a collection of cassettes.

Thanks for the welcome, 2channel. I wouldn't call my tape collection large anymore. I gave away a hundred or more cassettes around the turn of the century. But I still have a heavier-than-I-want-to carry-around box of favorites that I wouldn't mind hearing again. This Nak worked when I put it into hibernation. But it remains asleep or on strike or something.

MARGARITAS,
post #52 of 69 Old 09-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Thanks for the welcome, 2channel. I wouldn't call my tape collection large anymore. I gave away a hundred or more cassettes around the turn of the century. But I still have a heavier-than-I-want-to carry-around box of favorites that I wouldn't mind hearing again. This Nak worked when I put it into hibernation. But it remains asleep or on strike or something.
Hope you find a solution soon.
post #53 of 69 Old 10-31-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm still mulling a repair for my BX-100. I sent email off to Willy's Service. But also, in his website he posted this home repair technique ... http://willyhermannservices.com/whss_010.htm Has anyone tried it on our mostly common Nak deck problem?

MARGARITAS,
post #54 of 69 Old 10-31-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 5076
Thumbs up

My local dealer has 2 Nakamichi cassette players in working order in his used room. A Nak 1A and a 2A. Also if you have a used record store around they usually sell retro gear. One of the stores I go to has quite a few used cassette decks for sale. Probably a lot cheaper than getting one fixed.
post #55 of 69 Old 10-31-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
My local dealer has 2 Nakamichi cassette players in working order in his used room. A Nak 1A and a 2A. Also if you have a used record store around they usually sell retro gear. One of the stores I go to has quite a few used cassette decks for sale. Probably a lot cheaper than getting one fixed.

Hey, Class A, what are you doing slumming over here? Good to see you and hope all is well with you.

Yeah, I just got a quote from Willy...350 bucks to do a complete go through. It's a standard price for any Nak deck, btw. I'm not quite that thrilled listening to my old tapes to want to spend that kind of dough on a 35 year old mechanical device. So you're absolutely right about buying vs. fixing. (Though the tapes would sound good running through the Nak to my AA 7Bs!)

Do you have a link for your local store?

MARGARITAS,
post #56 of 69 Old 11-01-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey, Class A, what are you doing slumming over here? Good to see you and hope all is well with you.

Yeah, I just got a quote from Willy...350 bucks to do a complete go through. It's a standard price for any Nak deck, btw. I'm not quite that thrilled listening to my old tapes to want to spend that kind of dough on a 35 year old mechanical device. So you're absolutely right about buying vs. fixing. (Though the tapes would sound good running through the Nak to my AA 7Bs!)

All is well. Still cancer free! The store is Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH. Their used equipment is listed under pre-loved. You can E-mail the store [email protected].
post #57 of 69 Old 11-01-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
All is well. Still cancer free! The store is Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH. Their used equipment is listed under pre-loved. You can E-mail the store [email protected].

Thanks...lots of good stuff there.

Congrats on the fight. I'm up to 16 years now!
Class A likes this.

MARGARITAS,
post #58 of 69 Old 11-03-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks...lots of good stuff there.

Congrats on the fight. I'm up to 16 years now!
Found a Baseball cap that says it all. American flag/w a saying on the brim Life Is Good. John the owner likes picking up vintage audio gear. As a hobby he rebuilds, then resells the gear. Always some interesting items in the basement of his store.
post #59 of 69 Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

Wasn’t Nakamichi the first to include DBX noise reduction on their cassette decks about 1980? So much better than Dolby A, B, C, D, E, F, G..
post #60 of 69 Old 11-10-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavAbq View Post
Wasn’t Nakamichi the first to include DBX noise reduction on their cassette decks about 1980? So much better than Dolby A, B, C, D, E, F, G..

I think you are correct.

But I finally gave up on mine...calling it at 11:03 yesterday. It was a peaceful death, thankfully. I bought an old Denon (that goes with my Denon stack) that even comes with a remote.

So...time comes for all of us..................
Class A and Matt2026 like this.

MARGARITAS,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page