Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #1 of 52 Old 10-26-2015, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Pre-2002 Vintage Nakamichi Owners' Thread

I haven't seen a dedicated thread for Nakamichi, so I decided to start one. I recently acquired a Nakamichi RE-2 on EBay for $58 and it sounds wonderful. Everything sounds so much better now than it did on my Yamaha surround receiver. I wanted to start a thread to let others share their experiences with this once-great company, meaning the pre-2002 company that produced high end gear and not the reorganized post-bankruptcy one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151025_150253.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	1020425  

Last edited by TheNightwisher; 12-14-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 12-13-2015, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
You might have some difficulty attracting members to this section, because there were 2 different Nakamichi companies. The original one built high-end audio equipment, was very elitist, and stopped production in the early 1990s. The second one is more of an entry-level, average equipment manufacturer, and shares nothing of the 1st company's technology or reputation, except for its logo. The machine you got is pre-1990 and was a superb (and pricey) unit when it first came out. These machines sounded so good, they retained their value pretty well, especially the cassette decks and the power amps (and for a few lucky ones, the turntables). All you have to do is look at eBay and see how much people still get for a Dragon or a PA. To me (and for the money), it is hard to beat an old Nak.
TheNightwisher likes this.
post #3 of 52 Old 12-14-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume3 View Post
You might have some difficulty attracting members to this section, because there were 2 different Nakamichi companies. The original one built high-end audio equipment, was very elitist, and stopped production in the early 1990s. The second one is more of an entry-level, average equipment manufacturer, and shares nothing of the 1st company's technology or reputation, except for its logo. The machine you got is pre-1990 and was a superb (and pricey) unit when it first came out. These machines sounded so good, they retained their value pretty well, especially the cassette decks and the power amps (and for a few lucky ones, the turntables). All you have to do is look at eBay and see how much people still get for a Dragon or a PA. To me (and for the money), it is hard to beat an old Nak.
From what I have found in my research of the company and my unit, the old company declared bankruptcy in 2002. They produced high-end equipment all through the 90s, mostly receivers carrying the "Harmonic Time Alignment" technology that was the replacement for the "Stasis" technology from Nelson Pass and Pass Labs that they could no longer use when the agreement ran out in the early years of the 90s. It appears they largely failed because they couldn't keep up with the changing times, i.e. the surround sound and digital era, as well as losing some of their high end reputation that came with using Stasis technology. Their CD players, maybe with the exception of the cool and beastly Dragon which was still too expensive for most, never really caught on and seem to have had a lot of mechanical problems with their door mechanisms.

My unit, from everything I have looked at, appears to have been made in 1992 and retailed for $650 (~$1100 in today's dollars). The "Harmonic Time Alignment" series was around until the very end, including the AV series and (I believe) ending with the RE-10, which boasted 100 watts/channel in stereo.

Since then, yes, Nakamichi has reorganized and is nothing like it was before 2002. It has gone the way of Sansui and Akai (although they had a longer decline), which are owned by the same holding company coincidentally. I will be including "vintage" in the title of the thread to differentiate them.

As far as their value, the Stasis stuff has largely retained its value, especially the power amplifiers and the best of the receivers. Their high-end cassette decks (especially the Dragon), Dragon CD players and turntables are generally mega-expensive (and very cool). However, even the best of the receivers and amplifiers largely aren't fetching the prices that the high-end vintage Marantz or Pioneer get, as there is not the large dedicated following for Nakamichi as those two companies have in the used market pushing the prices up. The Harmonic Time Alignment series seems to be slipping through the cracks at the moment, which is how I picked up my RE-2 for $58. Even the mammoth RE-10 is only selling for ~$150 at the moment (one sold yesterday in mint condition for $120; I would have bought it if it had stayed below $100). Is the HTA series as good as the previous SR or TA series? Maybe, maybe not, but it sounds damn good and suits my needs.

That's what I have seen in my research, so anyone can feel free to correct me. Despite Nakamichi's downfall, the good times are still rolling with my unit.
Matt2026 likes this.

7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V671, Boston Acoustics VR40 (Mains), VR12 (Center), CR8 (Surrounds), CR8 (Rear Surrounds), Mirage Omni S10
Second 7.1 Setup: Yamaha RX-V663/Kenwood KR-5030 (Stereo), Boston Acoustics VR20 (Mains), VR10 (Center), CR6 (Surrounds), CRC (Rear Surrounds), Klipsch Sub12HG
2.1 Setup: Nakamichi RE-2, Boston Acoustics VR40 and Mirage Omni S10 (shared with 7.1), Emotiva XDA-1, and Pioneer, Kenwood, dbx, Luxman, Burwen, and JVC vintage equipment

Last edited by TheNightwisher; 12-14-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 03-04-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 25834
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightwisher View Post
From what I have found in my research of the company and my unit, the old company declared bankruptcy in 2002. They produced high-end equipment all through the 90s, mostly receivers carrying the "Harmonic Time Alignment" technology that was the replacement for the "Stasis" technology from Nelson Pass and Pass Labs that they could no longer use when the agreement ran out in the early years of the 90s. It appears they largely failed because they couldn't keep up with the changing times, i.e. the surround sound and digital era, as well as losing some of their high end reputation that came with using Stasis technology. Their CD players, maybe with the exception of the cool and beastly Dragon which was still too expensive for most, never really caught on and seem to have had a lot of mechanical problems with their door mechanisms.

My unit, from everything I have looked at, appears to have been made in 1992 and retailed for $650 (~$1100 in today's dollars). The "Harmonic Time Alignment" series was around until the very end, including the AV series and (I believe) ending with the RE-10, which boasted 100 watts/channel in stereo.

Since then, yes, Nakamichi has reorganized and is nothing like it was before 2002. It has gone the way of Sansui and Akai (although they had a longer decline), which are owned by the same holding company coincidentally. I will be including "vintage" in the title of the thread to differentiate them.

As far as their value, the Stasis stuff has largely retained its value, especially the power amplifiers and the best of the receivers. Their high-end cassette decks (especially the Dragon), Dragon CD players and turntables are generally mega-expensive (and very cool). However, even the best of the receivers and amplifiers largely aren't fetching the prices that the high-end vintage Marantz or Pioneer get, as there is not the large dedicated following for Nakamichi as those two companies have in the used market pushing the prices up. The Harmonic Time Alignment series seems to be slipping through the cracks at the moment, which is how I picked up my RE-2 for $58. Even the mammoth RE-10 is only selling for ~$150 at the moment (one sold yesterday in mint condition for $120; I would have bought it if it had stayed below $100). Is the HTA series as good as the previous SR or TA series? Maybe, maybe not, but it sounds damn good and suits my needs.

That's what I have seen in my research, so anyone can feel free to correct me. Despite Nakamichi's downfall, the good times are still rolling with my unit.
No corrections from this old guy who has an RE-2 receiver and it still works well enough for my living room, its driving a pair of ADS L1290 towers.

I have a CR-7A cassette deck, I think it was just below the Dragon which I couldn't afford. The cassette deck has a problem now and the tapes will play about half way through and then stop. Probably won't get fixed...

And the CDC 4A CD player. It has a single disc cartridge and a 6 disc cartridge, your choice if you want to play 'em 1 at a time or more... I don't put in much time on that setup now and occasionally I'll pop in a CD and wonder why I'm not hearing anything... did something finally call it quits. Nope, just me forgetting that the CD goes in with the playing side face up. Only CD player I've seen like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stereo Open 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1294193  
TheNightwisher likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #5 of 52 Old 03-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up Nak cassette

I still have my 680ZX and 7 decks. Still wonderful for what they do after all these years.....
post #6 of 52 Old 03-05-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9090 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
I have a BX1 cassette deck that is like an old motorcycle.

When woken up it doesn't want to start and you have to rewind the tape after a few tries to get everything in there happy to rotate again.

Then it plays just fine; great sound after all these years.

Believe it or not I recorded a lot of CD's to tape as I did not want to replace the stock radio unit on my '94 MX5 which came with cassette only.

I finally had to replace it 5 or so years ago but the new one, while functionally much better, still doesn't look "right" in the car.

Anyone have a quick fix I could try on the deck that might help with the "slow to start" issue?
post #7 of 52 Old 03-05-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 20057
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I have a BX1 cassette deck that is like an old motorcycle.

<snip>

Anyone have a quick fix I could try on the deck that might help with the "slow to start" issue?
I had a BX1 that acted the same way so no advice. Nature of the beast I guess.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #8 of 52 Old 03-05-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post
I had a BX1 that acted the same way so no advice. Nature of the beast I guess.
It hasn't seen hours of continual play for decades so I'm going to try that first.

I got it more than ten years ago from my father in law who bought it new and rarely used it.

I've used it thus far, infrequently, to dub cassettes to digital but now I'm going to use it as an actual source.
post #9 of 52 Old 03-18-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
I have a CR-7A cassette deck, I think it was just below the Dragon which I couldn't afford. The cassette deck has a problem now and the tapes will play about half way through and then stop. Probably won't get fixed...
I checked the user manual to see if there might be something that needed lubrication. Nope, oil-less bearings used.

I stuck in a cassette and did a FF and Rewind for about 10 times and then tried to play it and it made it past the point where it would stop. I've done this with 9 so far except I try them after 2 or 3 cycles to see if they'll play. Some do and some don't so they get more cycles. Only one so far that wouldn't work. Surprising how good they sound.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #10 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thank you, Nightwisher for starting this thread.

I am the proud owner of a Receiver 2 that I bought around 1992. It made the Yamaha it replaced slink away in shame. More recently I was given a NAD 7250PE. Supposed to be hot sh!#. After a careful comparison with the Nak, guess which one went on Ebay. I am currently in a friendly pissing match with a pen pal who has a SR 4a. He says that Harmonic Time Alignment was a step down from Stasis. I say it was progress. Feel free to chime in on that.

I find it hard to find any info/reviews of the Receiver 2 on the net. If anyone had any links, I'd be grateful.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #11 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2channel8 View Post
Thank you, Nightwisher for starting this thread.

I am the proud owner of a Receiver 2 that I bought around 1992. It made the Yamaha it replaced slink away in shame. More recently I was given a NAD 7250PE. Supposed to be hot sh!#. After a careful comparison with the Nak, guess which one went on Ebay. I am currently in a friendly pissing match with a pen pal who has a SR 4a. He says that Harmonic Time Alignment was a step down from Stasis. I say it was progress. Feel free to chime in on that.

I find it hard to find any info/reviews of the Receiver 2 on the net. If anyone had any links, I'd be grateful.
Nice.

Still use my 7250PE daily, bought it new in the mid 80's; back then it was the foundation for my first surround sound system using a Shure HTS5200 processor, today is in my secondary listening/viewing area being used mostly for 2.2 music and some 3.2 TV watching.

Amazing how quality gear from that vintage still chugs along...the NAD AVR I bought in the early 2000s barely lasted 10 years before all the inputs failed one by one.

Geoff A. J., California
post #12 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Only CD player I've seen like that.
There were quite a number of Pioneers that worked like that, but without cartridges. I used a PDS707 in my bedroom until recently when it died. It was bought in 2000 bought from the proceeds of the motza I made NYE/NTD being on call in case the world ended from Y2K.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #13 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Nice.

Still use my 7250PE daily, bought it new in the mid 80's; back then it was the foundation for my first surround sound system using a Shure HTS5200 processor, today is in my secondary listening/viewing area being used mostly for 2.2 music and some 3.2 TV watching.

Amazing how quality gear from that vintage still chugs along...the NAD AVR I bought in the early 2000s barely lasted 10 years before all the inputs failed one by one.
Oops! I meant no offense. Have you ever heard a Nak receiver? I'd love to hear one of their exotic turntables, the Dragon CT or TX-1000. There's one for sale on the bay now for $1,500. At this point it would cost me $1,500 plus alimony. ;^)
post #14 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
I checked the user manual to see if there might be something that needed lubrication. Nope, oil-less bearings used.

I stuck in a cassette and did a FF and Rewind for about 10 times and then tried to play it and it made it past the point where it would stop. I've done this with 9 so far except I try them after 2 or 3 cycles to see if they'll play. Some do and some don't so they get more cycles. Only one so far that wouldn't work. Surprising how good they sound.
If you think of selling the CR-7A, email me [email protected].
post #15 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip To View Post
If you think of selling the CR-7A, email me [email protected].
I will keep it in mind Philip. I thought about it in the past and checked eBay for pricing. I was surprised at the number Deck likely has between 100 and 200 hours on it. Mostly made tapes for the car but CD players took over especially the 10 disc changer in my G20..

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #16 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
I will keep it in mind Philip. I thought about it in the past and checked eBay for pricing. I was surprised at the number Deck likely has between 100 and 200 hours on it. Mostly made tapes for the car but CD players took over especially the 10 disc changer in my G20..
Just let me know. I'm looking for either a Dragon or a CR-7A non working unit from the first owner. I don't want to buy from an eBay seller who clams the unit is working but actually about to stop working.
post #17 of 52 Old 11-06-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Oops! I meant no offense. Have you ever heard a Nak receiver? I'd love to hear one of their exotic turntables, the Dragon CT or TX-1000. There's one for sale on the bay now for $1,500. At this point it would cost me $1,500 plus alimony. ;^)
Ha ha ha.

No offense at all; I have a NAK cassette deck from the 90's and it a very well built piece of equipment...far better than the NAD deck that is now in the garage.

Geoff A. J., California
post #18 of 52 Old 11-12-2016, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 422
I bought a Nakamichi PA-7 power amp designed by Nelson Pass 5 months ago. It is very similar to the Threshold S300. It was not in good condition, but the chassis is in good shape. I know electronics and I am at the process of designing my own power amp, so I overhaul the amp myself. I fixed the power up delay circuit and speaker protection circuit, Recap the amp, beefed up some of the thin traces and small wires that carry heavy current and rebiased to spec. I restored it back to full glory. It is a sweet amp.

It has a very robust chassis with big heat sink. I am almost temped to buy a second one that is broken on ebay cheap and use the chassis to build my own amp. Too bad the transformer is not one of those that can jumper the wire to reduce the output voltage. Or else it is going to be cheaper than to buy separate chassis and power transformer. Also, the price of used one seems to go up quite a bit lately on ebay. Some are over $800 used.

I don't think higher end power amp improved much since the mid 80s. Main thing is the available of faster transistors that can withstand higher voltage in the mid to late 80s. I checked, the PA-7 has the new generation transistors that are superior than the ones used in Threshold S300. This is the amp that I am designing against. I hope my own design is going to be superior. But my own amp is about 2 months away.
2channel8 likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #19 of 52 Old 01-02-2017, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Nakamichi AV-10 checking in

I bought a lightly used AV-10 for $572 in March 2002. I have used it almost daily in my main system ever since.

I purchased B&W DM602-S3 speakers at the same time, but recently replaced them with a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers which really open up the sound. I kept the B&W sub, surround and center speakers. The KLHs really love the power delivered by the Nak.

Entirely aside from its superb sound quality, the AV-10 remains relevant because it has two optical and two coaxial digital inputs. It renders both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio without any issue from my Sony Blu-ray, Amazon Fire TV, cable box and multimedia PC.

It lacks an internal phono preamp, but that is easy to compensate for on the AUX port. The CD port is connected to an Airplay receiver.

As a result it is 100% functional in a 100% modern system 15 years after it was manufactured.

One gripe, the built-in fan is slightly audible during quiet passages. With all 5 speakers plus sub blasting (lobby gunfight in The Matrix), the amp pulls over 1000 watts. The fan is clearly needed but could be thermostatically controlled.

If it croaked today I would strongly consider purchasing another one.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #20 of 52 Old 01-02-2017, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
I still enjoy listening to my Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 once or twice a month. Bought it used and had it refurbished just a few years ago.
There are still a couple of shops that repair Nak equipment (one on each coast) if you need it; typically the motors wear out and need to be rebuilt/replaced. I highly recommend the one on the West coast (Willy Hermann).
Matt2026 likes this.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #21 of 52 Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
I still enjoy listening to my Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1 once or twice a month. Bought it used and had it refurbished just a few years ago.
There are still a couple of shops that repair Nak equipment (one on each coast) if you need it; typically the motors wear out and need to be rebuilt/replaced. I highly recommend the one on the West coast (Willy Hermann).
Thanks for Willy Hermann resource. Nice to know there's someone familiar with Nakamichi

Regards, Ken (Retired)

Last edited by Matt2026; 01-02-2017 at 04:01 PM.
post #22 of 52 Old 01-02-2017, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have a BX-125 cassette recorder. Probably the most high end component I've purchased but haven't used it in years. It was wonderful. I suspect it will need some maintenance to use but, wow, times have changed.
post #23 of 52 Old 01-12-2017, 09:43 AM

I have a question about Harmonic Time Alignment amps/receivers. Can/should they be used with time-aligned speakers? Those with physical tweeter offsets ot LR2/LR4 crossovers?
post #24 of 52 Old 02-11-2017, 12:18 PM

There's a Receiver 1 on the bay for $120 US and no one has bought it. I feel like Nakamichi is being dishonored!!!
Matt2026 likes this.
post #25 of 52 Old 10-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Liked: 8
Hi,

I'm new here but stumbled onto this interesting site and thread while looking for info on my new Nak. I just purchased a mint condition RE-10 (from a 1 owner with original receipt) and compared it to my "newer" Yamaha RX-V2400. I have to say after comparing the two receivers.....I really love my Nakamichi RE-10! Sound is much cleaner and some what fuller, where as the Yamaha although sounded nice is duller when put side by side to the Nakamichi. FWIW, my speakers are JM Lab Tantals up front, Paradigm monitor 3 v2 in the rear and a 12" Paradigm PW series sub.
Inputs are Denon DCM 520 CD player and a Numark Turntable.
I also put my old Denon AVR 1601 to the test which turned out to be the worst of the three.
2channel8 and Matt2026 like this.
post #26 of 52 Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 AM

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstech1 View Post
Hi,

I'm new here but stumbled onto this interesting site and thread while looking for info on my new Nak. I just purchased a mint condition RE-10 (from a 1 owner with original receipt) and compared it to my "newer" Yamaha RX-V2400. I have to say after comparing the two receivers.....I really love my Nakamichi RE-10! Sound is much cleaner and some what fuller, where as the Yamaha although sounded nice is duller when put side by side to the Nakamichi. FWIW, my speakers are JM Lab Tantals up front, Paradigm monitor 3 v2 in the rear and a 12" Paradigm PW series sub.
I also put my old Denon AVR 1601 to the test which turned out to be the worst of the three.
Welcome to the small but eclectic club! Your post brings back memories. In 1992 I was looking to upgrade from a Yamaha CR-820 stereo receiver rated at 55 WPC. The salesman at the HiFi shop where I'd bought it recommended a Nakamichi Receiver 1. I was doubtful, since it was rated at the same power. The salesman explained that the Nak had a high current amp which would not only sound better, but would supply all the power my speakers could handle. He gave me a good deal on the demo model and the rest was history. That baby is still as sweet as the day I brought her home.

Enjoy,
Jim
Matt2026 and jmstech1 like this.
post #27 of 52 Old 10-29-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstech1 View Post
Hi,

Welcome to AVS Forums.

Just this morning my 1994 RE-2 started sounding funky... then the left channel pretty much went silent. First thought was, DANG! Second thought was exercise the volume control, and various adjustments... no luck. Then it occurred to me to exercise the A-B switch and BAM! Sounds just fine now.

In the past I had a similar situation. That time exercising the Loudness control fixed the problem, i.e. turning the knob back and forth,.

Enjoy the boards

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #28 of 52 Old 10-29-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Welcome to AVS Forums.

Just this morning my 1994 RE-2 started sounding funky... then the left channel pretty much went silent. First thought was, DANG! Second thought was exercise the volume control, and various adjustments... no luck. Then it occurred to me to exercise the A-B switch and BAM! Sounds just fine now.

In the past I had a similar situation. That time exercising the Loudness control fixed the problem, i.e. turning the knob back and forth,.

Enjoy the boards
It might be a good idea to clean the switched and pots with a good contact cleaning spray like Deoxit.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #29 of 52 Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It might be a good idea to clean the switched and pots with a good contact cleaning spray like Deoxit.
Thanks for the suggestion 2channel8.

That's something I should tackle, in the near future. The A-B switch is a relay, I can hear a loud click when I switch it. That will depend on how open that relay is. When I was building test boxes I used mercury wetted relays, they lasted much better than strictly dry contact types.

I have contact cleaner for my motorcycle. I may give that a try, at least to begin.
2channel8 and jmstech1 like this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
post #30 of 52 Old 10-31-2017, 07:28 PM

Liked: 8
Thanks guys for the warm welcome! Good community here!
My RE-10 had a Tone switch which would make a crackle when pressed on/off. Yep... contact cleaner did the job in fixing it. I'm so enjoying my vinyl as I type this post.
2channel8, I understand you about having good old memories of the 90's. I saw my first Nakamichi display next to McIntosh equipment at this high end stereo shop back in the 90's. I drooled over the gear and thought no way I can ever afford this stuff but OMG... sound so clean and accurate! Here I am now.... Happy Days from here on!
Matt2026 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page