What Did You Do Today in the World of 2-Channel Audio? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2107Likes

post #31 of 1830 Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Went through a bunch of best produced and best imaging lists, listening to what I had on hand, thankfully quite a bit. Helped that I was alone in the house, so I was able to crank it at will. Mostly hi-res Flac ripped from vinyl>Squeezebox Touch>Anthem MRX 500>Salk Supercharged Soundtowers + Vandersteen sub

=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1830 Old 03-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
Went through a bunch of best produced and best imaging lists, listening to what I had on hand, thankfully quite a bit. Helped that I was alone in the house, so I was able to crank it at will. Mostly hi-res Flac ripped from vinyl>Squeezebox Touch>Anthem MRX 500>Salk Supercharged Soundtowers + Vandersteen sub

=
I use spotify, listen to songs if i like it i go buy the .flac from bandcamp.com Since flac sounds better than spotify & it's local media for my Denon NAP, then im happy..
post #33 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 707
OK. The Bryston is hooked up in my cave.

Had to have a rethink as to how I was going to use it. Discovered that the zone 2 pre outs on the Yamaha do not give variable output, so it's either flat out or silence. Luckily, a few seconds of flat out did not damage my speakers. Those Martin Logans are built tough, it seems. Although I can vary the volume on the PC, I figured I value my hearing too much to entrust it to an errant mouse click. I'd rather have a hardware solution.

So the 7.2 and 2.0 systems are completely separate, using my Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus as a preamp, being fed by an optical digital signal from my PC. I have never had need for balanced cables and don't possess any, so I've hooked the DACMagic and the Bryston together with an unbalanced cable I happened to have laying around.

First thing to note is that bad recordings sound terrible. I never realized just HOW terrible. Unfortunately, I have some recordings that I will not be hearing much of in future. That became apparent in very short order. But I'm certainly hearing detail I never heard before, such as a flautist drawing breath on Bolero (Reference Recordings RR-92CD). This has been one of my go-to albums for a while so to hear detail of which I had previously been unaware is quite impressive.

I played Rick Wakeman's "Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" earlier. There is some deep bass on Merlin the Magician that I wanted to check out. The kick in the chest from the Martin Logan's 8" woofers, being properly driven, was pretty spectacular. Again, this is a recording I've been listening to for years; at least 25 of them. I was relieved to note that the recording is extremely good, with no noise that I could hear.

It appears that everything I've read is true. The ML electrostats DO benefit from decent amplification. At lower volumes, the sound seems fuller, and the urge to turn up the volume to crazy levels is diminished somewhat.

At some point, I'll switch out my electrostats and check out the Motion 40s and Motion 20s just for the hell of it.
Theothergreg likes this.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSteward View Post

Had to have a rethink as to how I was going to use it. Discovered that the zone 2 pre outs on the Yamaha do not give variable output, so it's either flat out or silence. Luckily, a few seconds of flat out did not damage my speakers. Those Martin Logans are built tough, it seems. Although I can vary the volume on the PC, I figured I value my hearing too much to entrust it to an errant mouse click. I'd rather have a hardware solution.

So the 7.2 and 2.0 systems are completely separate, using my Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus as a preamp, being fed by an optical digital signal from my PC. I have never had need for balanced cables and don't possess any, so I've hooked the DACMagic and the Bryston together with an unbalanced cable I happened to have laying around.

First thing to note is that bad recordings sound terrible. I never realized just HOW terrible. Unfortunately, I have some recordings that I will not be hearing much of in future. That became apparent in very short order. But I'm certainly hearing detail I never heard before, such as a flautist drawing breath on Bolero (Reference Recordings RR-92CD). This has been one of my go-to albums for a while so to hear detail of which I had previously been unaware is quite impressive.

I played Rick Wakeman's "Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" earlier. There is some deep bass on Merlin the Magician that I wanted to check out. The kick in the chest from the Martin Logan's 8" woofers, being properly driven, was pretty spectacular. Again, this is a recording I've been listening to for years; at least 25 of them. I was relieved to note that the recording is extremely good, with no noise that I could hear.

It appears that everything I've read is true. The ML electrostats DO benefit from decent amplification. At lower volumes, the sound seems fuller, and the urge to turn up the volume to crazy levels is diminished somewhat.

At some point, I'll switch out my electrostats and check out the Motion 40s and Motion 20s just for the hell of it.
what model of bryston ? Any pics ?
post #35 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
what model of bryston ? Any pics ?
4B ST

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 10.14.07 PM.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1315777  
funky54 and Jady Jenkins like this.

Spoiler!
post #36 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
4B ST
Nice score, those are nice amps Gota love Class A/B Have you ever heard a class a amp yet ?

I think there are some mod's for the 4B amp to improve it..
post #37 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Nice score, those are nice amps Gota love Class A/B Have you ever heard a class a amp yet ?

I think there are some mod's for the 4B amp to improve it..
Yes. I was listening to a BC Acoustique a while back. I had intended to buy one, but this one came up by chance so I decided to grab it. Saved quite a bit of cash too.

Spoiler!
post #38 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Well, today I visited the Crutchfield retail store in Charlottesville, VA. I always wanted to check it out. I never managed to because it is a 3 hour drive from home but today I was in Charlottesville for a doctor's appointment at the University of Virginia Medical Center and I thought I would stop by and see what all they had. I was shocked to see only four 2-channel units on display and those units were all hooked up to the same pair of Cambridge Audio SX-60 bookshelf speakers laying sideways on the floor under the table. They had a Onkyo TX-8160 Receiver, Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier, Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier and a NAD C 316BEE. Even if I were interested in one of these units the demoing situation was abysmal. I left after less than 10 minutes in the store. It was a big letdown after looking forward to going for years.

So, in short, I had a bad day shopping for my next receiver and CD player upgrade.
bmcn likes this.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #39 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Well, today I visited the Crutchfield retail store in Charlottesville, VA. I always wanted to check it out. I never managed to because it is a 3 hour drive from home but today I was in Charlottesville for a doctor's appointment at the University of Virginia Medical Center and I thought I would stop by and see what all they had. I was shocked to see only four 2-channel units on display and those units were all hooked up to the same pair of Cambridge Audio SX-60 bookshelf speakers laying sideways on the floor under the table. They had a Onkyo TX-8160 Receiver, Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier, Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier and a NAD C 316BEE. Even if I were interested in one of these units the demoing situation was abysmal. I left after less than 10 minutes in the store. It was a big letdown after looking forward to going for years.

So, in short, I had a bad day shopping for my next receiver and CD player upgrade.
Next time I'm in the local hifi store , I'll take some photographs. They'll make you feel better, I promise. Wall to wall 2 channel.

Spoiler!
post #40 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

@Pacodutaco

Here's one to be going on with. The equipment in use was the BC Acoustique I just mentioned. 80 wpc Class A.

We were listening to Rush - Hemispheres on vinyl. Good times.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 10.34.39 PM.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1315809  
funky54 likes this.

Spoiler!
post #41 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Smile

Quote:
@Pacodutaco

Here's one to be going on with. The equipment in use was the BC Acoustique I just mentioned. 80 wpc Class A.

You have more 2-channel gear in that photo than Crutchfield's had in their entire retail store.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #42 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Next time I'm in the local hifi store , I'll take some photographs. They'll make you feel better, I promise. Wall to wall 2 channel.

Please do, I would love to see what a good hi-fi store looks like.

post #43 of 1830 Old 03-14-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked: 2745
Quote:

"First thing to note is that bad recordings sound terrible. I never realized just HOW terrible"

Boi you got that right. The MLs allow you to hear so far into a recording that if sumthin ain't right, you know it. Some recording are just unlistenable.

"The ML electrostats DO benefit from decent amplification. At lower volumes, the sound seems fuller"

I think that is the mark of a really good system is when you can listen at low levels and really enjoy it.

Component to component or even to an extent, cable to cable, etc., differences that aren't even noticeable with the Elacs really smacks you in the head with the MLs.

Unfortunately, that always tells me that there's more there if only I'd spend a few more $$$$

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-14-2016 at 11:09 PM.
post #44 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Congratulations! If you were closer I'd let you try out a Clarus Crimson HC power cord on that bad boy to really wake it up. I used it on my Mark Levinson 23.5 and the bass it put out was tight, fast and deep.
post #45 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@Pacodutaco

are you sure it was Class A ? I don't see no big power amp anywhere in that picture.. and 80WPC class a would be a big beast..
post #46 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
Congratulations! If you were closer I'd let you try out a Clarus Crimson HC power cord on that bad boy to really wake it up. I used it on my Mark Levinson 23.5 and the bass it put out was tight, fast and deep.

Embarrassed I admit, but do have a fancy pants power cord on my amp.
post #47 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
are you sure it was Class A ? I don't see no big power amp anywhere in that picture.. and 80WPC class a would be a big beast..
It's top center in the picture. According to the specs, they were able to put it in a 60 lb chasis. Pretty feature-rich, too.
post #48 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Embarrassed I admit, but do have a fancy pants power cord on my amp.
Own it, Scott!
post #49 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's top center in the picture. According to the specs, they were able to put it in a 60 lb chasis. Pretty feature-rich, too.
Yes. Pretty impressive. The owner of the store loves it.

Spoiler!
post #50 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Own it, Scott!

I do !!!!!!!!!!

I haven't swapped it out with a regular one since the first couple of weeks I was here. At that time the new room was such a distraction that I didn't know what I was hearing. Now that I'm accustomed to the room I ought to try it again.
Theothergreg and Jady Jenkins like this.
post #51 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Found that my cables were restricting my equipment placement, so I bought a pair of XLR cables, which at 20' should give me a few options.

Not strictly a two channel thing, but I found Rush's R40 Live and figured that it had to join my collection. 2 BluRays and 3 CDs for $35. Can't be bad. I'll be digging into that shortly.

Other than that, I've been playing with my Cambridge Audio/Bryston/Martin Logan setup, throwing as much at it as I can. Sound is awesome. I'm hearing detail I never knew was there. Somehow, the soundstage presented by the Theos has lifted. It seemed to me that the sound was coming from too close to the floor, and was probably at least part of the reason I felt something was missing. Now, the sound is coming at me from a more realistic height. Bass has tightened considerably, and is a lot less directional than it was when power was being supplied by the Yamaha.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 9.24.08 PM.png
Views:	615
Size:	548.1 KB
ID:	1317577  
funky54 and Scotth3886 like this.

Spoiler!
post #52 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Found that my cables were restricting my equipment placement, so I bought a pair of XLR cables, which at 20' should give me a few options.

Not strictly a two channel thing, but I found Rush's R40 Live and figured that it had to join my collection. 2 BluRays and 3 CDs for $35. Can't be bad. I'll be digging into that shortly.

Other than that, I've been playing with my Cambridge Audio/Bryston/Martin Logan setup, throwing as much at it as I can. Sound is awesome. I'm hearing detail I never knew was there. Somehow, the soundstage presented by the Theos has lifted. It seemed to me that the sound was coming from too close to the floor, and was probably at least part of the reason I felt something was missing. Now, the sound is coming at me from a more realistic height. Bass has tightened considerably, and is a lot less directional than it was when power was being supplied by the Yamaha.

You also tilted them back if I recall correctly? And now you get an accurate height perspective. Piano pedals from near the floor. Piano soundboard from about 3' high. Trumpet from up high. Baritone or bass sax from down low. Vocalist higher than the guitar they're playing, etc.

There's SO much more to this than just flat frequency response. That's a small part of the game. Getting the realism is the tough part.
KJSteward likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-15-2016 at 08:51 PM.
post #53 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you guys don't have it, get the Nils Lofgren, Acoustic Live. CD is great, the vinyl is even better. Man, talk about realism !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chad has reissued this on 200g vinyl. It's simply great!
Theothergreg likes this.
post #54 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 84
So many quotes of massive posts... Yikes.

Good stuff though. I come to snoop and learn. Today we held paper towels in front the MA bronze 2 port to see how far we could move it away and still get it to move. 20" was the farthest with my 22w x2 amp.
post #55 of 1830 Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Spoiler!

Yes, we should probably conceal things a bit when the quoted post is exceptionally huge. It can make the thread a touch more readable.

Spoiler!
post #56 of 1830 Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 335
searched around the internet for a decent deal on an 10-20 yo audio research preamp. Finally found a unit that was perfect for my needs and budget (ls16), only to find out it had just been sold .

So the search continues for an ARC pre with tubes, remote, and balanced inputs for around 1500$. I had an ARC ls 7 in college which I sold about a decade ago and I am feeling nostalgic for some toggle switches and handles!
post #57 of 1830 Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 46
New speaker wire came by FedEx yesterday! Will replace my old wire tonight.
post #58 of 1830 Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I picked up a couple of CD's to add to my collection today. I also have a line on a couple of old Wharfedale speakers I'm hoping will be in great shape. I'm hoping to go check them out over the next day or so. (Fingers Crossed)
KJSteward likes this.

post #59 of 1830 Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Home at last.

Listening to Enya - Watermark

Vinyl rip to FLAC.

Being perusing CanuckAudioMart for some preamp ideas. Looks like a very handy source for such items.

Spoiler!
post #60 of 1830 Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Home at last.

Listening to Enya - Watermark

Vinyl rip to FLAC.

Being perusing CanuckAudioMart for some preamp ideas. Looks like a very handy source for such items.
Nice, do you have a big flac collection ? It's what i collect too, download them from bandcamp.com or buy them on line from other places. My Denon unit loves Flac, and i like that i have balanced out on the unit.

So far i haven't been able to find Adele - 25 in .flac..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
cleaner , equipment , receiver , speakers , wires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page