What Did You Do Today in the World of 2-Channel Audio? - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2046Likes

post #1741 of 1802 Old 11-06-2019, 08:15 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Congrats! Looks really nice. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences with it.

One way to post images is to "right click" on the image itself and select "copy image address", then use the image icon at the top of the AVS post editor and paste the address into the pop-up. This references the picture on their site, it does not create a local version on AVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
^Cool looking piece. How does it sound? Is it UL listed? The chi-fi stuff usually scares me, especially with tubes.
So far so good. I've had it up and running for 6-8 hours now and it sounds great! It replaces a very good Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp that I've had for a couple of years. Just sold it to a BIL, and I'm kind of hoping he doesn't like it! I can have 2 integrated amps can't I?
Anyway, it does sound very similar to the Yamaha, but it does female voices just a bit better than the Yamaha. First thing I noticed, anyway. Tubes, at least good tubes, are quite similar to solid state, but have qualities in sound that some like better, and some do not. The KT88 power tubes that come with this amp are considered some of the best for music. My last tube amp was a VTA ST-120, pure amp, no preamp side as an integrated amp has. It had 6550 power tubes, a push-pull design, as is this amp. I think this is very close to that amp, but with somewhat better audio quality. An opinion many that have heard both share, the K88 is just better all round. The ST-120 did nothing particularly wrong, but didn't have the flexibility that comes with an integrated amp. This amp has direct amp inputs so I can power my front mains with it, using my AVR to control tone and volume. Kinda rare in a tube integrated, but very handy to have.

So far I'm liking what I hear. My $5 garage find, a Denon DCD-1500 from 1986 sounds very good through this amp. I'm listening to some FLAC files routed through an Emotiva XDA-2 ATM, it too sounds excellent. I suppose there are those that won't like the sound of this amp as much as I do. YMMV!

FWIW I saved over $150 buying from China Hi-Fi over ordering off Amazon. Shipping time was 10 days from ordering to showing up at my doorstep. Paid via PayPal, so I'm covered if anything goes wrong. With a steady 6-8 hours so far its still working just fine. It comes with a one year warranty. I suppose shipping it back won't be cheap, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks for the questions and comments. So far, I love it! But I'm easy to please. Just ask my ex-wife!
pjp likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 11-06-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1802 Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Tubes, at least good tubes, are quite similar to solid state, but have qualities in sound that some like better, and some do not...
Great to hear this amp is working out for you. For me, it's difficult to go back to solid state after having a tube amp.
post #1743 of 1802 Old 11-06-2019, 10:08 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Great to hear this amp is working out for you. For me, it's difficult to go back to solid state after having a tube amp.
For me I've come full circle. I bought a brand new Sansui 500a receiver in 1966, my very first piece of audio gear. It had 17 tubes IIRC. I lived with that receiver for 5-6 years, feeding it 4-5 new tubes per year to keep it working right. I succumbed to the allure of SS and bought a Kenwood KR-6200, had that for many year. It didn't have that soft tube sound but I eventually got used to the SS sound. And now, back to tubes. This sounds like a winner.

I'm listening to the Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead. All the bass I'm used to is there, along with great mids and highs. This has the feel of a long-term relationship!
pjp and JA Fant like this.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 11-06-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1802 Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 681
What I did (yesterday actually) was very cheap to do. I've been wanting to get xm radio in my house. With the advent of the holiday channels coming out, I've been wanting to do that even more. I considered getting a marantz ND8006 networking CD player and using the airplay feature of the player and xm app. Well stumbling around walmart looking for an iPhone case this weekend I stumbled on a 3.5 mm stereo to RCA adapter, and I remembered I have a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter at home. Voila!! Plugged the 3.5 mm into a RCA stereo input on my anthem MRX-520 and I'm done. Works great, and sounds pretty good for background christmas music. You can set the app to stream at max quality. I like the the Holiday Pops channel, you'll get christmas music you won't hear many other places. (classical) They only have it over the radio for two days now as opposed to a month or more they used to. But with streaming it's up now. Glad they offered free streaming a few months ago without having to have the all access level.

I still might do the ND8006 soon for that and other reasons as well. I'd rather be able to do the airplay feature and control the channel selection without getting up and going to the iPhone plugged into the anthem. Plus, I'd like to be able to see what's being played. But for now, it's good.
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #1745 of 1802 Old 11-12-2019, 06:43 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
What I did (yesterday actually) was very cheap to do. I've been wanting to get xm radio in my house. With the advent of the holiday channels coming out, I've been wanting to do that even more. I considered getting a marantz ND8006 networking CD player and using the airplay feature of the player and xm app. Well stumbling around walmart looking for an iPhone case this weekend I stumbled on a 3.5 mm stereo to RCA adapter, and I remembered I have a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter at home. Voila!! Plugged the 3.5 mm into a RCA stereo input on my anthem MRX-520 and I'm done. Works great, and sounds pretty good for background christmas music. You can set the app to stream at max quality. I like the the Holiday Pops channel, you'll get christmas music you won't hear many other places. (classical) They only have it over the radio for two days now as opposed to a month or more they used to. But with streaming it's up now. Glad they offered free streaming a few months ago without having to have the all access level.

I still might do the ND8006 soon for that and other reasons as well. I'd rather be able to do the airplay feature and control the channel selection without getting up and going to the iPhone plugged into the anthem. Plus, I'd like to be able to see what's being played. But for now, it's good.

I wish they offered a streaming only option. My commute is like 8 miles each way and I could only get a good signal about half the trip. I dropped the XM when I traded vehicles.
JA Fant likes this.

This space for rent!
post #1746 of 1802 Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Glad you posted this, as I had sort of forgotten about all the holiday channels. And I had apparently not yet installed the SXM app on my new-ish laptop. It's nice that they have the holiday channels working this early, still a couple weeks before even Thanksgiving.

So, I installed the app and am now listening. I was not aware that there was an option to choose streaming quality. I selected the Maximum streaming quality, although I tried the other two levels and couldn't really hear any difference. I used to listen to SXM on my Denon AVR, but I recently bought a PS Audio Stellar Gain pre-amp/DAC, so I now bypass the Denon and connect directly from the laptop to the DAC via USB cable. Does anybody know the streaming rates of the three quality options? My DAC does not seem to display the current information on that.

It sounds pretty nice, and it seems a lot easier to navigate around SXM on the laptop, compared to the clunky and slow interface on the Denon. Also, when using the Denon, I am not aware of any streaming quality option.
JA Fant likes this.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #1747 of 1802 Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post
I wish they offered a streaming only option. My commute is like 8 miles each way and I could only get a good signal about half the trip. I dropped the XM when I traded vehicles.
I believe they do.
EM3 and JA Fant like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #1748 of 1802 Old 11-29-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 37
erc-1 and xlr cables

i have had the erc-1 since emotiva started selling them ,and just recently i switched from rca to xlr cables. it really made a deference, blacker background, the image is higher between the speakers, more space in cymbals and sweeter highs. well worth the effort and the 28 dollar cost.
post #1749 of 1802 Old 11-30-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Listened to a bunch of vinyl last night, much of it 180g. Hadestown soundtrack, Sgt. Pepper's, Pyromania, Ten (Pearl Jam).

Clearaudio Performance DC -> Graham Slee Accession phono stage -> Pass Labs INT-60 -> KEF Reference 3's. Glorious.
Nick V, skypop and KenM10759 like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #1750 of 1802 Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I ordered a pair of Magnepan 1.7i's about a month ago,they were delivered 2 days ago! I'm working on placement,I have them 5' from the front wall and so far so good. These speakers really throw a transparent sound,they replace some Medallion Cabinets with Fostex Drivers and some jbl studio 580's,I was switching between those. Right now I have the tweeters on the outside and the sound is expansive,going to try them with the tweeters on the inside over the wknd and different toe in angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C70EA20-C1FA-476F-9BD5-580F33124296.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2650128  

2 Channel: Magnepan 1.7i's,Proceed 2 Channel HPA Amp,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.

Last edited by skypop; 12-06-2019 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Picture change
post #1751 of 1802 Old 12-19-2019, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Re did my bedroom dresser 2.0 setup for the fourth and final time
Couldn’t help myself with the Cantons at 71% off and thought the Cambridge stereo receiver was worth trying at just under two hundred bucks

Captain Crunch and postrokfan like this.
post #1752 of 1802 Old 12-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
I ordered a pair of Magnepan 1.7i's about a month ago,they were delivered 2 days ago! I'm working on placement,I have them 5' from the front wall and so far so good. These speakers really throw a transparent sound,they replace some Medallion Cabinets with Fostex Drivers and some jbl studio 580's,I was switching between those. Right now I have the tweeters on the outside and the sound is expansive,going to try them with the tweeters on the inside over the wknd and different toe in angles.
Update! I've been working on placement of these and moving the tweeters to the inside made a nice difference in that instruments and voices were more pinpoint,but shrank the soundstage somewhat,so in trying to get the soundstage to where it was I moved the speakers out to 6' from the wall and bang! Soundstage increased width and depth,now I'm hearing what others talk about when they talk about these speakers. They are still breaking in,every week they sound better with the same music. I made a small mark on the floor so I can leave them closer to the wall when not in use and just pull them back out when it's listening time,main thing...wife approval as long as I move them back when I'm done.

2 Channel: Magnepan 1.7i's,Proceed 2 Channel HPA Amp,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #1753 of 1802 Old 12-19-2019, 07:29 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Got one of my cassette decks, a Yamaha KX800 from the repair shop. It needed new belts. I recorded Garage Punk Unknowns Vol 2 to a Maxell chrome tape. Recorded and played back flawlessly.
m. zillch likes this.
post #1754 of 1802 Old 12-19-2019, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Guys, I'm From Sri Lanka. waiting till January 5th for my two replacements of Paradigm ( Monitor 9 ) tweeters form
Solen Inc.
3940 boul. Sir Wilfrid Laurier

St-Hubert, Qc,Canada

J3Y 6T1

One of my friend is coming to Sri Lanka. I too like two channel stereo than 5.1 ,
I was using a Dac magic 100 , Three weeks ago i bought a Topping D50S DAC.
as It got the Bluetooth
Best Regards....
skypop and gbus like this.
post #1755 of 1802 Old 12-20-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
Re did my bedroom dresser 2.0 setup for the fourth and final time
Couldn’t help myself with the Cantons at 71% off and thought the Cambridge stereo receiver was worth trying at just under two hundred bucks

Nice little setup. I had the next model up in that receiver line (slightly more power, DAC, subwoofer out) and it had decent sound for the price. Couldn't get over the fan noise though...Have you noticed that at all?
gbus likes this.

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW610, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red, Zen Blue
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, SVS SB-1000, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Nuforce DDA-120, Lenovo Ultrabook
BR: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), NAD 326BEE, B&W ASW608
post #1756 of 1802 Old 12-21-2019, 01:00 AM

What Did You Do Today in the World of 2-Channel Audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Nice little setup. I had the next model up in that receiver line (slightly more power, DAC, subwoofer out) and it had decent sound for the price. Couldn't get over the fan noise though...Have you noticed that at all?

I was originally going to pick up the SR20 when they were falling in price, but they kind of dried up before that happened.
Then when I saw the SR10 was down to $199 I ordered one up from Music Direct. For $200 shipped I said what the heck, lets give it a listen.

I’m streaming music to the sr10 with an inexpensive Bluetooth receiver/transmitter and no issues of any kind, everything works as it should and sounds pretty good to me.

I’ve had the volume to -20 for a bit but I have not heard the fan come on at all once I’d lowered the volume after that.
The room it’s in is pretty cool if not a bit chilly this time of year though.

It does have a bit of transformer hum at idle, once music is playing at any volume, the hum is no longer audible so that’s not a deal breaker for me, and outside of that it seems like a decent little stereo receiver, especially for what I’m using it for.
postrokfan likes this.
post #1757 of 1802 Old 12-21-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 5997
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
I was originally going to pick up the SR20 when they were falling in price, but they kind of dried up before that happened.
Then when I saw the SR10 was down to $199 I ordered one up from Music Direct. For $200 shipped I said what the heck, lets give it a listen.

I’m streaming music to the sr10 with an inexpensive Bluetooth receiver/transmitter and no issues of any kind, everything works as it should and sounds pretty good to me.

I’ve had the volume to -20 for a bit but I have not heard the fan come on at all once I’d lowered the volume after that.
The room it’s in is pretty cool if not a bit chilly this time of year though.

It does have a bit of transformer hum at idle, once music is playing at any volume, the hum is no longer audible so that’s not a deal breaker for me, and outside of that it seems like a decent little stereo receiver, especially for what I’m using it for.
Cool. When I had the SR20 it was installed with plenty of ventilation and I really never pushed the volume. Yet, the fan would always come on if the unit had been on for a while. As I mentioned before, SQ was great. That's a great deal at $200 shipped for the SR10.
gbus likes this.

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW610, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red, Zen Blue
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, SVS SB-1000, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Nuforce DDA-120, Lenovo Ultrabook
BR: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), NAD 326BEE, B&W ASW608
post #1758 of 1802 Old 12-22-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
I’ve prepped my system for the return of my Carver M-500t amp that will be delivered tomorrow after a four month wait while it’s been updated at a repair shop. Can’t wait to introduce it to a new set of speakers.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #1759 of 1802 Old 12-22-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought a pair of these pads to tilt my Debut B6.2 up in my desktop setup. Very well made and nice looking. They fit the speakers perfectly and the angle is right where I wanted - it can have 2 levels of uptilt adjustments for different needs. They make me want to listen in the desktop setup more! I even moved my HINT to drive the ELAC and they really scale well with better electronics. Highly recommended.

[IMG][/IMG]
postrokfan and KenM10759 like this.

Setup #1: GoldenEar Triton Reference --> Parasound Halo Integrated --> Allo DigiOne Signature, LG OLED C7P 65
Setup #2: Elac Debut B6.2 --> Akitika GT-102 --> ??

tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php, www.dpreview.com/forums, www.bimmerfest.com/forums

Last edited by Shangri-La; 12-22-2019 at 10:09 PM.
post #1760 of 1802 Old 12-23-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just finished replacing the faceplate on my Carver. The repair shop, HI-TECH AUDIO in Washington state, looks like they did some great work replacing the old caps etc. tomorrow I’ll integrate it into my current system.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E244C1B1-21BF-490B-9A67-D8B8DA1B40CD.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	2658116   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4760D8D-641D-467D-A0CE-A64E15DC31AE.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	2658118   Click image for larger version

Name:	79F7A417-6E01-4B31-AB91-E3C569625F84.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	2658120  
skypop and KenM10759 like this.

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Carver M-500t/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #1761 of 1802 Old 12-23-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
I had picked up an old Pioneer PL-518 direct-drive auto-return turntable as an affordable Christmas gift for one of my sons. He's been buying a few 180g remastered LP's lately, and I feel he may be damaging them by running them on the Audio Technica AT-LP60 TT I had given him a few years ago. This Pioneer runs a Audio Technica AT120E cartridge with a 1.5g tracking weight, should be easier on the vinyl.

Two things I had to fix. One was the left channel wasn't outputting. After a few tests (thanks to some good folks on Audiokarma), I determined someone had pulled the RCA plug out of whatever it was plugged into by the wire and separated the inner conductor. Good excuse to use the fancy soldering station and other bits. Then, I tried my hand at cleaning up the badly-scratched dust cover. I just couldn't get it clear, and like the gray laminate plinth, it also had some yellowing. I think it may have lived in a smoking environment for most of it's previous life.

The plinth cleaned up pretty good, but I ended up just painting the once-clear dust cover. Replacement ones are available for about $100, almost what I paid for the whole turntable. No time to get one in time for gift-giving, so there you have it. I think the warm "Heritage White" color compliments the gray plinth in a 1980's "office equipment chic" kind of way. He can replace it with a new clear one if he wants.

Sounds incredibly good, and now I HAVE TO upgrade my own turntable because he can't have a better one than dad!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painted_closed.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	2658122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Painted_open.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2658124  
tdogroeder, VidPro, drewTT and 2 others like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #1762 of 1802 Old 12-25-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I had picked up an old Pioneer PL-518 direct-drive auto-return turntable as an affordable Christmas gift for one of my sons. He's been buying a few 180g remastered LP's lately, and I feel he may be damaging them by running them on the Audio Technica AT-LP60 TT I had given him a few years ago. This Pioneer runs a Audio Technica AT120E cartridge with a 1.5g tracking weight, should be easier on the vinyl.

Two things I had to fix. One was the left channel wasn't outputting. After a few tests (thanks to some good folks on Audiokarma), I determined someone had pulled the RCA plug out of whatever it was plugged into by the wire and separated the inner conductor. Good excuse to use the fancy soldering station and other bits. Then, I tried my hand at cleaning up the badly-scratched dust cover. I just couldn't get it clear, and like the gray laminate plinth, it also had some yellowing. I think it may have lived in a smoking environment for most of it's previous life.

The plinth cleaned up pretty good, but I ended up just painting the once-clear dust cover. Replacement ones are available for about $100, almost what I paid for the whole turntable. No time to get one in time for gift-giving, so there you have it. I think the warm "Heritage White" color compliments the gray plinth in a 1980's "office equipment chic" kind of way. He can replace it with a new clear one if he wants.

Sounds incredibly good, and now I HAVE TO upgrade my own turntable because he can't have a better one than dad!
I really like the painted dust cover. Hmm...

post #1763 of 1802 Old 12-25-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carver back doing its thing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DD6B5369-A3E9-4A39-8A6D-355DF0ED8573.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2658704  
KenM10759 and gbus like this.

post #1764 of 1802 Old 12-25-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro View Post
I really like the painted dust cover. Hmm...
Thank you! I have a sneaking suspicion that my son is going to like it enough not to spend $100 that he could be spending on his ongoing home renovations.

I also think it looks tres cool, in my heavily biased opinion. Closed, demure and classy. Open, party time!

EDIT: He loves it! We hooked it up to my system for "training" and a demo, loves the sound and he says the difference between the Pioneer PL-518 and his current Audio Technica AT-60 is very clear. Both he an his wife think the painted dust cover is really nice and it's staying that way.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.

Last edited by KenM10759; 12-25-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #1765 of 1802 Old 12-26-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! I have a sneaking suspicion that my son is going to like it enough not to spend $100 that he could be spending on his ongoing home renovations.

I also think it looks tres cool, in my heavily biased opinion. Closed, demure and classy. Open, party time!

EDIT: He loves it! We hooked it up to my system for "training" and a demo, loves the sound and he says the difference between the Pioneer PL-518 and his current Audio Technica AT-60 is very clear. Both he an his wife think the painted dust cover is really nice and it's staying that way.
Some artist could make some cash creating custom painted dust covers.

One more shot of the Carver. Did an extended listening session Tuesday night and it sounds great. The only thing holding me back from pure stereo fun is some new speakers...and of course money.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	22ABC468-F34D-4195-BA17-20088BDA3D56.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	2658994  
KenM10759 likes this.

Last edited by VidPro; 12-26-2019 at 07:45 AM.
post #1766 of 1802 Old 12-28-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Made a video.

KenM10759 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #1767 of 1802 Old 12-29-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Made a video.
Very nice! I usually check this forum using my desktop PC, and MS-Edge browser. When I see embedded YouTube videos, I have to click on the YouTube icon in the lower right of the frame to open YouTube in a new window in order for it to run.

Because I'm viewing it like that it's a larger screen and I can scroll down to see the data and comments. There I noticed it's Nils Lofgren, but also noticed all the info about rights. Do you have to add that so it plays more than a couple seconds, or is it added automatically by YouTube now?

BTW- Nice old 35mm rangefinder camera on the table. Reminds me of a Leica IIIg I once had.

post #1768 of 1802 Old 12-29-2019, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just pulled the trigger on Cambridge Solo as a Phono upgrade. Will be here on Monday have a couple new records that looking forward to a good little session.
post #1769 of 1802 Old 12-29-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Very nice! I usually check this forum using my desktop PC, and MS-Edge browser. When I see embedded YouTube videos, I have to click on the YouTube icon in the lower right of the frame to open YouTube in a new window in order for it to run.

Because I'm viewing it like that it's a larger screen and I can scroll down to see the data and comments. There I noticed it's Nils Lofgren, but also noticed all the info about rights. Do you have to add that so it plays more than a couple seconds, or is it added automatically by YouTube now?

BTW- Nice old 35mm rangefinder camera on the table. Reminds me of a Leica IIIg I once had.

I didn’t even notice that. YouTube must add the rights information automatically.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #1770 of 1802 Old 12-30-2019, 01:30 PM

I lied

It now seems the last one wasn’t the final upgrade on the dresser setup after all

It’s not my fault, I blame it on Music Direct for the closeout price they had on the last of their PM7005 integrated amps

postrokfan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
cleaner , equipment , receiver , speakers , wires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page