What Did You Do Today in the World of 2-Channel Audio? - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1989Likes

post #1741 of 1750 Old 11-06-2019, 08:15 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Congrats! Looks really nice. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences with it.

One way to post images is to "right click" on the image itself and select "copy image address", then use the image icon at the top of the AVS post editor and paste the address into the pop-up. This references the picture on their site, it does not create a local version on AVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
^Cool looking piece. How does it sound? Is it UL listed? The chi-fi stuff usually scares me, especially with tubes.
So far so good. I've had it up and running for 6-8 hours now and it sounds great! It replaces a very good Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp that I've had for a couple of years. Just sold it to a BIL, and I'm kind of hoping he doesn't like it! I can have 2 integrated amps can't I?
Anyway, it does sound very similar to the Yamaha, but it does female voices just a bit better than the Yamaha. First thing I noticed, anyway. Tubes, at least good tubes, are quite similar to solid state, but have qualities in sound that some like better, and some do not. The KT88 power tubes that come with this amp are considered some of the best for music. My last tube amp was a VTA ST-120, pure amp, no preamp side as an integrated amp has. It had 6550 power tubes, a push-pull design, as is this amp. I think this is very close to that amp, but with somewhat better audio quality. An opinion many that have heard both share, the K88 is just better all round. The ST-120 did nothing particularly wrong, but didn't have the flexibility that comes with an integrated amp. This amp has direct amp inputs so I can power my front mains with it, using my AVR to control tone and volume. Kinda rare in a tube integrated, but very handy to have.

So far I'm liking what I hear. My $5 garage find, a Denon DCD-1500 from 1986 sounds very good through this amp. I'm listening to some FLAC files routed through an Emotiva XDA-2 ATM, it too sounds excellent. I suppose there are those that won't like the sound of this amp as much as I do. YMMV!

FWIW I saved over $150 buying from China Hi-Fi over ordering off Amazon. Shipping time was 10 days from ordering to showing up at my doorstep. Paid via PayPal, so I'm covered if anything goes wrong. With a steady 6-8 hours so far its still working just fine. It comes with a one year warranty. I suppose shipping it back won't be cheap, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks for the questions and comments. So far, I love it! But I'm easy to please. Just ask my ex-wife!
pjp likes this.

(WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 11-06-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1750 Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Tubes, at least good tubes, are quite similar to solid state, but have qualities in sound that some like better, and some do not...
Great to hear this amp is working out for you. For me, it's difficult to go back to solid state after having a tube amp.
post #1743 of 1750 Old 11-06-2019, 10:08 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Great to hear this amp is working out for you. For me, it's difficult to go back to solid state after having a tube amp.
For me I've come full circle. I bought a brand new Sansui 500a receiver in 1966, my very first piece of audio gear. It had 17 tubes IIRC. I lived with that receiver for 5-6 years, feeding it 4-5 new tubes per year to keep it working right. I succumbed to the allure of SS and bought a Kenwood KR-6200, had that for many year. It didn't have that soft tube sound but I eventually got used to the SS sound. And now, back to tubes. This sounds like a winner.

I'm listening to the Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead. All the bass I'm used to is there, along with great mids and highs. This has the feel of a long-term relationship!
pjp and JA Fant like this.

(WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields

Last edited by Knucklehead90; 11-06-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 1750 Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 657
What I did (yesterday actually) was very cheap to do. I've been wanting to get xm radio in my house. With the advent of the holiday channels coming out, I've been wanting to do that even more. I considered getting a marantz ND8006 networking CD player and using the airplay feature of the player and xm app. Well stumbling around walmart looking for an iPhone case this weekend I stumbled on a 3.5 mm stereo to RCA adapter, and I remembered I have a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter at home. Voila!! Plugged the 3.5 mm into a RCA stereo input on my anthem MRX-520 and I'm done. Works great, and sounds pretty good for background christmas music. You can set the app to stream at max quality. I like the the Holiday Pops channel, you'll get christmas music you won't hear many other places. (classical) They only have it over the radio for two days now as opposed to a month or more they used to. But with streaming it's up now. Glad they offered free streaming a few months ago without having to have the all access level.

I still might do the ND8006 soon for that and other reasons as well. I'd rather be able to do the airplay feature and control the channel selection without getting up and going to the iPhone plugged into the anthem. Plus, I'd like to be able to see what's being played. But for now, it's good.
JA Fant likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #1745 of 1750 Old 11-12-2019, 06:43 AM
EM3
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
What I did (yesterday actually) was very cheap to do. I've been wanting to get xm radio in my house. With the advent of the holiday channels coming out, I've been wanting to do that even more. I considered getting a marantz ND8006 networking CD player and using the airplay feature of the player and xm app. Well stumbling around walmart looking for an iPhone case this weekend I stumbled on a 3.5 mm stereo to RCA adapter, and I remembered I have a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter at home. Voila!! Plugged the 3.5 mm into a RCA stereo input on my anthem MRX-520 and I'm done. Works great, and sounds pretty good for background christmas music. You can set the app to stream at max quality. I like the the Holiday Pops channel, you'll get christmas music you won't hear many other places. (classical) They only have it over the radio for two days now as opposed to a month or more they used to. But with streaming it's up now. Glad they offered free streaming a few months ago without having to have the all access level.

I still might do the ND8006 soon for that and other reasons as well. I'd rather be able to do the airplay feature and control the channel selection without getting up and going to the iPhone plugged into the anthem. Plus, I'd like to be able to see what's being played. But for now, it's good.

I wish they offered a streaming only option. My commute is like 8 miles each way and I could only get a good signal about half the trip. I dropped the XM when I traded vehicles.
JA Fant likes this.

This space for rent!
post #1746 of 1750 Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Glad you posted this, as I had sort of forgotten about all the holiday channels. And I had apparently not yet installed the SXM app on my new-ish laptop. It's nice that they have the holiday channels working this early, still a couple weeks before even Thanksgiving.

So, I installed the app and am now listening. I was not aware that there was an option to choose streaming quality. I selected the Maximum streaming quality, although I tried the other two levels and couldn't really hear any difference. I used to listen to SXM on my Denon AVR, but I recently bought a PS Audio Stellar Gain pre-amp/DAC, so I now bypass the Denon and connect directly from the laptop to the DAC via USB cable. Does anybody know the streaming rates of the three quality options? My DAC does not seem to display the current information on that.

It sounds pretty nice, and it seems a lot easier to navigate around SXM on the laptop, compared to the clunky and slow interface on the Denon. Also, when using the Denon, I am not aware of any streaming quality option.
JA Fant likes this.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #1747 of 1750 Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post
I wish they offered a streaming only option. My commute is like 8 miles each way and I could only get a good signal about half the trip. I dropped the XM when I traded vehicles.
I believe they do.
EM3 and JA Fant like this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #1748 of 1750 Old 11-29-2019, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 37
erc-1 and xlr cables

i have had the erc-1 since emotiva started selling them ,and just recently i switched from rca to xlr cables. it really made a deference, blacker background, the image is higher between the speakers, more space in cymbals and sweeter highs. well worth the effort and the 28 dollar cost.
post #1749 of 1750 Old 11-30-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Listened to a bunch of vinyl last night, much of it 180g. Hadestown soundtrack, Sgt. Pepper's, Pyromania, Ten (Pearl Jam).

Clearaudio Performance DC -> Graham Slee Accession phono stage -> Pass Labs INT-60 -> KEF Reference 3's. Glorious.
Nick V, skypop and KenM10759 like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #1750 of 1750 Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I ordered a pair of Magnepan 1.7i's about a month ago,they were delivered 2 days ago! I'm working on placement,I have them 5' from the front wall and so far so good. These speakers really throw a transparent sound,they replace some Medallion Cabinets with Fostex Drivers and some jbl studio 580's,I was switching between those. Right now I have the tweeters on the outside and the sound is expansive,going to try them with the tweeters on the inside over the wknd and different toe in angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C70EA20-C1FA-476F-9BD5-580F33124296.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	2650128  
postrokfan and KenM10759 like this.

2 Channel: Magnepan 1.7i's,Proceed 2 Channel HPA Amp,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.

Last edited by skypop; 12-06-2019 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Picture change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
cleaner , equipment , receiver , speakers , wires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page