Which 845 SET Tube do you like and why/why not? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 3 Post By Alex F.

post #1 of 21 Old 06-08-2016, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which 845 SET Tube do you like and why/why not?

Option 1: Line Magnetic Audio LM-518IA integrated amplifier

Option 2: Art Audio Carissa 845 SET Amp

Option 3: Dared VP 845

Partial reviews and details attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 9.23.14 pm.png
Views:	123
Size:	632.6 KB
ID:	1485785  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-08-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
None. Too little clean power at a massive $/W price. SETs have the massive disadvantage that because of the gap in the transformer core to allow DC it drastically lowers the primary inductance which affects the LF distortion.

Back when I was building tube amps, I much preferred the 813 (trioded) or GM70 rather than the audio faves of the 845 and 211. Cheaper too, but few commercial units for sale using them, mainly GM70. PP of course.

I pay no heed to subjective reviews: they should come printed on soft two ply paper so they at least have some use.
post #3 of 21 Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
None. Too little clean power at a massive $/W price. SETs have the massive disadvantage that because of the gap in the transformer core to allow DC it drastically lowers the primary inductance which affects the LF distortion.

Back when I was building tube amps, I much preferred the 813 (trioded) or GM70 rather than the audio faves of the 845 and 211. Cheaper too, but few commercial units for sale using them, mainly GM70. PP of course.

I pay no heed to subjective reviews: they should come printed on soft two ply paper so they at least have some use.
Thanks for your views mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-09-2016, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
SET amps were the entry level tube amps in the 1960's,

They made noise but not much else...don't get drawn into a poor design because it has tubes in it. If you look at the big dog tube amp companies (McIntosh etc.) they never made SET amps.

If you want an inexpensive tube amp--because you are curious... SETs are OK to play with but if you are serious, leave them alone.
post #5 of 21 Old 06-10-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsCrazy View Post

Partial reviews and details attached...

The low power of these amps limit you to speakers with 100 db/watt sensitivity or higher, such as some of the Klipsch Legacy series.

The Line Magnetic is possibly the best of the 3.

I would advise you to consider one of the Primaluna amplifiers if you are partial to tubes.
post #6 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
The low power of these amps limit you to speakers with 100 db/watt sensitivity or higher, such as some of the Klipsch Legacy series.

The Line Magnetic is possibly the best of the 3.

I would advise you to consider one of the Primaluna amplifiers if you are partial to tubes.
Thanks mate. I am aware of the PrimaLuna's. I don't regard them as any better than these...well marketed though.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 07:17 AM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
The one SET we had in our amplifier comparisons measured almost 6% harmonic distortion. It was quite audible. Perhaps things have improved but I certainly wouldn't recommend an SET to anyone. It is hard to imagine that someone would want an amplifier that affects the sound audibly when most of them are transparent. So my answer is none just like the others.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Which 845 SET Tube do you like and why/why not?

AVS is not a forum where you will find many (any?) folks who have hands-on experience with the specific products you asked about. I sent you a private message where actual users might be available to help.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked: 2211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
AVS is not a forum where you will find many (any?) folks who have hands-on experience with the specific products you asked about. I sent you a private message where actual users might be available to help.
Sorry, but I interpret this as a back handed slap. You sent a PM (Private Message) and that's great. Why make it public?
rnsound likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
You sent a PM (Private Message) and that's great. Why make it public?
In case he does not check his PMs or have automatic notification enabled, he will know a message is in his mailbox.

Instead of a complaint, offer the OP some help.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked: 2211
Just an observation.

As to providing help for the OP ... don't take audio information provided on the internet or forum A vs. forum B as gospel.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-11-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll offer some help

If you like the glow and distortion of tubes, get a proper push-pull tube amp. If you don't want the heat, cost and power draw of a tube amp but still want the glow and less distortion...get a tube pre-amp and drive a chip amp for the output stage.

I think they call those oddities "hybrid amps"...

If you are after vintage sound, get a push-pull tube amp and have it drive something really efficient in an infinite baffle configuration. The Eminence Beta12LTA with a phase plug along with the Fostex super-tweeter combined with a single 1 to 1.5mF capacitor on a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood will get that distinctive tube/IB interaction some people like. The Beta12LTA is around 97dB at one watt and the Fostex at 98dB/one watt will allow serious output at 15 watts--enjoy!
post #13 of 21 Old 06-12-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 4767
Thumbs up

I would add Inspire Amps to the list. Dennis Had the founder and former head designer of Cary Audio now makes SET Amps to order. He personally builds each one. If you tell him what kind of speakers your using he will give you suggestions. I don't think you can find a more knowledgeable person in tube design than Dennis. He'll build to your needs.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
In case he does not check his PMs or have automatic notification enabled, he will know a message is in his mailbox.

Instead of a complaint, offer the OP some help.

The OP actually got good advice: To stay away from that SET crap that is the ultimate in audiophoolery.
post #15 of 21 Old 06-14-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
The OP actually got good advice: To stay away from that SET crap that is the ultimate in audiophoolery.
The fellow is a fan of SET power amplifiers and sought advice about three specific products. Instead he was told not to pursue his hobby and interest. What makes you so superior to call his preferred type of amplification "crap" and to call him a fool?

He took my advice and fled this inhospitable and often useless forum and visited a website where the members are knowledgable owners of the equipment he enjoys.

post #16 of 21 Old 06-14-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
The fellow is a fan of SET power amplifiers and sought advice about three specific products. Instead he was told not to pursue his hobby and interest. What makes you so superior to call his preferred type of amplification "crap" and to call him a fool?

He took my advice and fled this inhospitable and often useless forum and visited a website where the members are knowledgable owners of the equipment he enjoys.
He took the wrong advise and is now in need for some serious help because of it.

Non linear amplifier >= crap.

So your "advice" to go for a tiny amount of power from a SET amp is a 180 degree turn around with your generic "advice" that an avr hasn't enough power for a 2 channel system.

The hobby is about listening to music with the highest possible sound quality for the given budget.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-14-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
He took the wrong advise and is now in need for some serious help because of it.

Non linear amplifier >= crap.

So your "advice" to go for a tiny amount of power from a SET amp is a 180 degree turn around with your generic "advice" that an avr hasn't enough power for a 2 channel system.

The hobby is about listening to music with the highest possible sound quality for the given budget.
I have never said anything about AVRs not having sufficient power for a two-channel system. You made that up.

Also, where in this thread did I state any opinion about SETs? You made that up as well.

For the record, I have no opinion at all about SET amplifiers. How could I since I have never seen or auditioned any? What specific models of SET amps have you used that make you insult anyone who likes them?

I suggest to the OP an internet forum where he could communicate with fellow SET fans and you feel it necessary to attack me for helping him? Please take your issues elsewhere.

By the way, in your first sentence, the correct word is advice, not advise.

post #18 of 21 Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://education.lenardaudio.com/en/14_valve_amps.html

Here is the best advice for tube amp people, the guy loves tube amps but only if they are designed correctly. Plenty of information to get it all figured out and setup properly. It gives the history of tube amps, why certain designs work and why others don't.

Always good to know if you are tempting to play with glass amps--don't go in blind. Hope you find the information useful and enjoy your quest with whatever you purchase.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-15-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
Here is the best advice for tube amp people, the guy loves tube amps but only if they are designed correctly.
And there is very little there to indicate he knows much on how to design beyond the 1960's perspective. Morgan Jones' two books on tube amps are far more benefit than that article. For the more technical, John Broskie's Tubecad is definitely a good read.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is just a quick 7 pages as an overview,

Plenty of links if you want to know more, if you really get into it--then time to hit the books for that sort of thing. My father had a McIntosh tube amp setup when I was a kid...two monoblocks and I get the attraction but not my thing.

Since I switched to home theater, the glass amp thing is not for me. People have built HT systems out of tube amps but more of a curiosity type experiment than an advisable way to do it.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-18-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Thanks mate. I am aware of the PrimaLuna's. I don't regard them as any better than these...well marketed though.

I suggest that you go to the Stereophile Forum/Amplifiers and post there.

There are many people there that have experience with SET amplifiers; you may get more and better feedback there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
845 set amp , audio , tube amp , tubes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page