Paradigm PW Amp Play-Fi Networked Two-Channel Amplifier Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ARC for ALL

The capabilities of this little jewel seem to far outway those of the Sonos. The weakest link seems to be the software interface, but since this seems to be the emerging cross platform / cross manufacturer choice, I think we can probably look forward to it becoming more refined and more capable - all available through software and firmware upgrades. Since PW devices are also DLNA compliant, they are also not subject to the 65000 track limitations of Sonos (which Sonos does not want to seem to acknowledge as an issue and is not indicating any plans on addressing in the near future.

Now there are two questions at hand, that seem to be the white elephant in the room that no one seems to answer:

1. What DAC does the Paradigm product use? Not a deal breaker since you can use the digital out to drive a high quality DAC of your choice (the new AudioQuest Beetle may be an early affordable candidate).

2. Since there is a pair of analog inputs for another source - why couldn't you run the Tape Out loop from your pre-amp into the analog inputs on the PW product and the Analog Outs into the Tape In which allow you to apply the ARC settings to every source in your system - essentially turning your favorite pre-amp, receiver or integrated into a an ARC corrected system? Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpp8140 View Post
This POS play-fi app will make you want to bang or throw this decent piece of hardware out the window

Instead of focusing on making the core app solid, they've added surround sound features to market, the app can't even handle 1 speaker well at the moment....the basics aren't there
Pulled the PW AMP out of the closet a year later....the hardware is great, but was crippled by the PlayFi software.

I am happy to report huge improvements with the software. It has been responsive and stable for me on old Android 4 & 6 devices.

The AMP now works as a DLNA renderer, so robust software, such as BubbleUPNP, can be used to stream from a music server. Also, they have finally added volume control for the Analog input....now it can be used as the heart of a simple TV audio system and I can control the volume from the couch.

I now love this device and the bonus...(ARC-2) room correction

Goodbye, NAD7050 will soon be up for sale

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12

Last edited by hpp8140; 12-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #33 of 34 Old 05-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone tried the new ARC Genesis software with the PW Amp? It just released today I believe. I ran it and so far, it doesn't seem drastically different, except perhaps resulting in a touch less bass than before with a bit better blending between my fronts and sub. I have only tried running it in fully auto mode. My PW Amp is driving Gallo A'diva SEs and the Gallo TR-3D sub. The print out seems a bit confusing to me, as the sub-woofer and front speakers both have different crossover points? Would be interested in people's thoughts. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 05-03-2019, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamNRye View Post
Has anyone tried the new ARC Genesis software with the PW Amp? It just released today I believe. I ran it and so far, it doesn't seem drastically different, except perhaps resulting in a touch less bass than before with a bit better blending between my fronts and sub. I have only tried running it in fully auto mode. My PW Amp is driving Gallo A'diva SEs and the Gallo TR-3D sub. The print out seems a bit confusing to me, as the sub-woofer and front speakers both have different crossover points? Would be interested in people's thoughts. Thanks.
I have a PW Amp in the basement running Elac B5's and an old Polk psw125 sub. It's a warmer sounding system for all genres of music when working out.
I stream Tidal with an iPod through Play-Fi, or I can use my Android phone with Aptx bluetooth to an Arcam rBlink, and that's plugged into the PW Amp with RCA's.
I'll mess around with ARC Genesis with that system before recalibrating the Anthem MRX520 receiver and 3.1 system upstairs.
The 3.1 system sounds awesome already, so I don't want to change it unless I notice improvements with the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
amplifier , Paradigm , pw amp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page