Upgrading Stereo, Would Love Opinions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Pacodutaco
  • 2 Post By Paraneer
  • 2 Post By bluewizard

post #1 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Upgrading Stereo, Would Love Opinions

Hello,

I'm a music producer/engineer who has good taste in gear for my studio, but when it comes to my home system I've fallen VERY short. Currently, I've got the following:

Rega RP-1 w/ Performance Pack and Ortofon 2M Blue cart
NAD Phono Pre (base model one that was about $150)
Marantz NR1601 receiver
B&W 685 Series I speakers
Receiver is also fed by things like Apple TV, DirecTV, BluRay

Basically, I'm looking to make my setup more audio-centric. I'd like to keep my table as is for now, because it's sounding pretty good, but I need the following:

- A Better phono stage. Currently looking at this one:
Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+

- A Better set of speakers, floorstanding in my case. I'm looking at these:
Dali Opticon 8 (heard its little brother...had poor bass extension but a great image and a pleasing top...they have these at Ahead Stereo in Los Angeles, CA)
Wharfedale Reva 4 (heard these at a shop called Audio Element in Pasadena, CA - they sounded pretty good too, and they were recommended by the salesperson)
Audio Physic Classic 20
Monitor Audio?

- An integrated amp or A/V receiver that's more...2-channel audio oriented. Looking at:
Parasound Halo
Rotel RA1592
Rogue Audio Magnum II (though this is very specific and cool, I'm hoping for perhaps more I/O capability and maybe tone controls. I heard it at Audio Element in Pasadena and it was cool.)

Another idea is that I get a better Marantz A/V receiver that actually has pre-out and maybe a separate amp? And run everything, like I'm doing now, through that Marantz. This would conceivably give me more body and detail to the sound as well as the ability to better drive 4-ohm loads, because I know some A/V receivers don't allow that too well. Amps like Parasound, Rotel, etc.

- Interconnects

- Eventually upgrade my table, but not at this time.

BUDGET: Around $7k for everything. $8k max.

Would love any thoughts you may have about this. I'm particularly stymied by the signal flow with having 3 HDMI sources to account for, as well as wanting to listen to my table and also R2R recordings at times. (but perhaps also, dare I say, streaming audio at times?)

Thanks in advance,
Justin
LA, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
what size space/room?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #3 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
what size space/room?
Oh sorry....it's about 20' wide and 26' deep. Typical 8 to 9' ceilings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
I would be looking at floorstanding speakers for that space. at my pricepoint of 5k for speakers I listened to psb, bw, focal, revel,goldenear...I walked away with focal. probably better out there, but thats what I had available and thats what my ears said...I wish I listened to martin logan, tannoy, kef and a few others...but I am happy with my choice until you get to 12k speakers and up. I dont need a sub with these towers for music and they can play well over 100db's with 400watts.

I know some like a different sound than focal, just what I liked. I am happy w/marantz avr and nad amps. thats about 7.5k right there but I am sure other options are out there and cheaper.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #5 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thank you. I realized I was thinking of the wrong room's dimensions. The room this will all be placed in is 15' x 24'. Still, seems like floorstanding without sub will be the right match. I don't need or want terribly extended bass.

Very interested in Focal, though I find the top end a bit strident at times, sort of like B & W to my ear.

Also wondering about Yamaha Integrateds. But overall, I wonder if my sonic picture will be workable with phono pre --> Marantz or other relatively high-end AVR ---> External amp....Versus phono pre -- > Integrated Amp (which also is fed by optical out of my TV, summing all the HDMI sources)
post #6 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 325
You may want to look at the Martin Logan Theos speakers. Not cheap but really fine speakers. Accurate and transparent. The drawback is a small optimal listening space. Move too far from this and you lose detail.

Also consider some of the direct sale speaker companies like Salk Sound and Philharmonic. Salk builds the Philharmonic speakers by the way. I happen to live about 30 minutes from the Salk factory and was able to listen to the Song Towers which are perhaps the best speaker in their price range. The Supercharged version is much more expensive but a terrific speaker. The workmanship and finish is top notch as well.

Last edited by MSchott; 01-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
Parasound makes great gear. I wish it was in my price range. Also, I'm a BIG fan of the Monitor Audio Silver line. Again, I wish they were in my price range. With the budget you have, check them out before you buy. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you hear.
Jond0 likes this.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #8 of 30 Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj154 View Post
Hello,

Would love any thoughts you may have about this. I'm particularly stymied by the signal flow with having 3 HDMI sources to account for, as well as wanting to listen to my table and also R2R recordings at times. (but perhaps also, dare I say, streaming audio at times?)

Thanks in advance,
Justin
LA, CA
Check out the Arcam SR250. Beautiful and unique piece -- Class-G 2-channel only AVR with 7 HDMI inputs and Dirac room correction. Would just require a separate phono pre.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,FMJ,....htm#techspecs

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|Peachtree DAC•iT|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2/SF Chameleon B|Marantz 1508|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #9 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Basically, I'm looking to make my setup more audio-centric.

- An integrated amp or A/V receiver that's more...2-channel audio oriented. Looking at:
Parasound Halo
Rotel RA1592
Rogue Audio Magnum II (though this is very specific and cool, I'm hoping for perhaps more I/O capability and maybe tone controls. I heard it at Audio Element in Pasadena and it was cool.)

Another idea is that I get a better Marantz A/V receiver that actually has pre-out and maybe a separate amp? And run everything, like I'm doing now, through that Marantz. This would conceivably give me more body and detail to the sound as well as the ability to better drive 4-ohm loads, because I know some A/V receivers don't allow that too well. Amps like Parasound, Rotel, etc.
Since you are making 2 channel the priority then I suggest you look at a solid integrated amp that is already 2 channel instead of another AVR. You'll get the benefit of a power amp section that is already 4 ohm rated and won't have to worry about adding an external power amp like you would with an AVR. And while there are many good integrateds that come with built-in phono stages and DAC's, don't let this be the determining factor. An amps primary job is to drive a pair of speakers and all the rest are just features - that can be added to the integrated as external devices.

The above being said and since your budget allows for it, audition and get the speakers first. Electronics are easy to recommend once the speakers are known, but suggestions for the speakers themselves are almost impossible. They all sound that different and are that subjective. So you will have to go out and audition. And once you find speakers that sound best to you, then shop for the amp with the right output to properly drive those speakers. If it has a good phono stage or DAC all the better but if not, don't worry. You can add them as the last link in the chain to consider. Good luck!
vzphoneman and balky like this.

Marantz PM15S2 LE, Oppo BDP-103, Simaudio Moon 100D DAC
VPI Traveler V2 with an Ortofon Rondo Blue and Simaudio Moon 110LP, Technics SL-1400 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa and Pro-ject Phono Box S
Dynaudio Focus 260's, Rel T-1 and a Panasonic TC-P54S1.
post #10 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Is the turntable is your main source? If not you should consider adding a DAC to the mix as well.
I agree with Paraneer above, make the speakers your first priority. I own Goldenear Triton II+ and would highly recommend them (along with the Ones). You mentioned the Cronus Magnum II, which I have feeding my Triton's. They are a great combination. The Cronus has a nice phone section (no need for phone preamp) and honestly I never miss not having tone controls. I guess it helps the Tritons have built in powered subs and folded ribbon tweeters.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #11 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Check out the Arcam SR250. Beautiful and unique piece -- Class-G 2-channel only AVR with 7 HDMI inputs and Dirac room correction. Would just require a separate phono pre.
This looks like a very special piece indeed! The only drawback for me is the amp section...only does 8 ohm speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post
Since you are making 2 channel the priority then I suggest you look at a solid integrated amp that is already 2 channel instead of another AVR. You'll get the benefit of a power amp section that is already 4 ohm rated and won't have to worry about adding an external power amp like you would with an AVR. And while there are many good integrateds that come with built-in phono stages and DAC's, don't let this be the determining factor. An amps primary job is to drive a pair of speakers and all the rest are just features - that can be added to the integrated as external devices.

The above being said and since your budget allows for it, audition and get the speakers first. Electronics are easy to recommend once the speakers are known, but suggestions for the speakers themselves are almost impossible. They all sound that different and are that subjective. So you will have to go out and audition. And once you find speakers that sound best to you, then shop for the amp with the right output to properly drive those speakers. If it has a good phono stage or DAC all the better but if not, don't worry. You can add them as the last link in the chain to consider. Good luck!
Very sensible advice. I am definitely focusing on speakers first, for sure. Oddly, there's not a great deal of speaker audition possibilities in the greater Los Angeles area. It's a little bit slim pickings, or rather far away.

As far as the integrated amp, that is definitely why I was looking at a piece like the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. However, therein lies the problem: what do I do with all my A/V sources? How do I get the audio from all of that into my nice new integrated amp? That's why initially I was thinking about also getting a new A/V receiver with pre outs (which my Marantz currently doesn't have) that I would then feed into the integrated amp. Does that make sense, or will that cause video-audio sync issues?

What speakers and integrated amp would you recommend for my situation and price range? And how might you recommend that I take care of the video sources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
Is the turntable is your main source? If not you should consider adding a DAC to the mix as well.
I agree with Paraneer above, make the speakers your first priority. I own Goldenear Triton II+ and would highly recommend them (along with the Ones). You mentioned the Cronus Magnum II, which I have feeding my Triton's. They are a great combination. The Cronus has a nice phone section (no need for phone preamp) and honestly I never miss not having tone controls. I guess it helps the Tritons have built in powered subs and folded ribbon tweeters.
That, and the aforementioned video pieces, a reel to reel player, and perhaps someday a network server device. But phono and the video stuff are the main things for now. Glad to hear you like the Cronus...that's a very interesting choice perhaps. Maybe that paired with a DAC for all digital sources would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
You may want to look at the Martin Logan Theos speakers. Not cheap but really fine speakers. Accurate and transparent. The drawback is a small optimal listening space. Move too far from this and you lose detail.

That's my worry with electrostatics.

Also consider some of the direct sale speaker companies like Salk Sound and Philharmonic. Salk builds the Philharmonic speakers by the way. I happen to live about 30 minutes from the Salk factory and was able to listen to the Song Towers which are perhaps the best speaker in their price range. The Supercharged version is much more expensive but a terrific speaker. The workmanship and finish is top notch as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Parasound makes great gear. I wish it was in my price range. Also, I'm a BIG fan of the Monitor Audio Silver line. Again, I wish they were in my price range. With the budget you have, check them out before you buy. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by what you hear.
People definitely like those speakers and they're very affordable. Thanks.
post #12 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
Let's work the budget.

You are speculating on Speakers in the $2000/pr to $4000/pr range?

You are speculating on amps in the roughly $2500 range?

So, you have about - roughly - $7000 to spend on a amp/speaker system? Right? More? Less? ....????

I think you turntable and phono stage are fine. Though if you want to upgrade the turntable there are certainly many options, we just need a working budget?

Your existing turntable Rega 1 with Performance Pack and a cartridge upgrade probably ran in the $650 to $700 range. That implies to get an upgrade in this area, you will need to spend $1000 OR MORE on a turntable. Though again, the one you have is pretty nice, especially with the upgrades. I really don't see any need to upgrade the Phono Stage at this point in time. See what you get in the amp you buy, and re-think it at that time.

The Rotel RA-1592 and the Parasound Halo Integrated are indeed good amps with lots of power and lots of features - 200w/ch for the Rotel and 160w/ch for the Parasound.

The AV Receiver you have is low end. That's not a knock against Marantz, they make fine equipment, but that amp has about 50w/ch which isn't much. However, an AV Receiver might have additional features that would be of value to you. For example, Network Streaming or Electronic Sub/Front Management. Myself, I don't need those things. For me the only aspect of value would be the Network Streaming, and I can by that separately for about $500 (Bluesound Node-2).

Worth noting that the Parasound Integrated has ESS Sabre DACs that are DSD capable, and the Parasound has Full Electronic Bass Management. So that has some appeal.

If you want Network Streaming and Bass Management then the Parasound Halo Integrated ($2495) plus the Bluesound Node-2 ($500) would give you everything you need for $3000.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHAINT

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BDNODE2

Also bear in mind that most of the amps mentioned will come with their own built-in Phono Stage. So, I would see what the quality of those stages are before buying a new Phono Pre-Amp.

As to speakers the REVA-4 at $2000/pr would be a bargain, and I suspect very sweet sounding speakers. I would expect similar results from the Dali Opticon 8 which run just under $4000/pr.

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...tower-speakers

http://www.audiolab.com/dali-opticon...r-choices-pair

The Monitor Audio Silver 10 have 2x8" bass drivers, and run about $1250 Each ($2500/pr) depending on the finish. I would expect good results from those -

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BDNODE2

It is still possible to get deep discounts on the Wharfedale JADE 7 speakers ($2500/pr, (retail $4200/pr)) -

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...pr-awfjade7blk

http://wharfedale.co.uk/product.php?pid=7

Enclosure Type: 4-way Aperiodic system

Drive Units:
- 1 x 1" (25mm) Alu high frequency dome
- 1 x 3" (65mm) Alu-pulp composite midrange cone
- 1 x 6.5" (150mm) Acufibre bass cone
- 2 x 8" (175mm) Acufibre bass cone

Frequency Response: 38Hz – 24kHz ±3dB

Keep in mind that 38hz at -3db is about 30hz to 32hz at -6db. But, allegedly VERY clear speakers.

You can hear the Martin Logan Motion 60XT at Best Buy-Magnolia. They have 2x8" bass driver and the folded Air Motion Tweeters, priced at about $1600 each in Black Cherry Finish -

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...riation=BLKCHE

If you can push up into the $6000 to $8000 per Pair range, then there are others to consider.

The Wharfedale Jade 7 are outstanding speakers, very highly rated by Stereophile and Sound and Vision, and really at a bargain price. Music Direct, the seller, is in the Chicago area if that helps you at all.

$2500/ea = Parasound Halo Integrated, 160w/ch, ESS DACs, Bass Management
$_500/ea = Bluesound Node-2 Network Streaming
$2500/pr = Wharfedale Jade 7 floorstanding
----------------------------------------
$5500 = Total ($7200 retail)

I don't think anyone would be crying over that system.

While not quite up to the standard you seem to be shopping for, consider the Wharfedale Diamond 250 with 2x8" Bass driver for the very modest price of $1300/pr -

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...tower-speakers

Enclosure type: Bass reflex
Transducer complement: 3-way
Bass driver: 200mm (8") Woven Kevlar Cone x 2
Midrange driver: 130mm (5.25") Woven Kevlar Cone
Treble driver: 25mm Soft Dome
Frequency response (+/-3dB): 35Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB): 32Hz

Hard to find that much speaker for a lower price.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
vzphoneman and Pacodutaco like this.
post #13 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8582 Post(s)
Liked: 5783
Visit these guys and listen to some Usher speakers.

http://www.katli.com/

Geoff A. J., California
post #14 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
As far as the integrated amp, that is definitely why I was looking at a piece like the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II. However, therein lies the problem: what do I do with all my A/V sources? How do I get the audio from all of that into my nice new integrated amp?

What speakers and integrated amp would you recommend for my situation and price range? And how might you recommend that I take care of the video sources?
Just get an external DAC with multiple inputs. My DAC can accommodate three digital devices and then outputs the analog to an available line level input on my integrated via one pair of RCA i/c's.

Speakers are way too tough for me recommend because they are that subjective. Suggest you take your time and visit as many dealers as you can even if they are in the outlying areas. WRT to an integrated, the Parasound HALO that blue wizard speaks about above is a virtual swiss army knife with every feature imaginable (including a DAC) with a 4 ohm rated power amp section that will drive just about any speaker you are likely to consider.

The Rogue Cronos Mag II is very good too, but you'll need an external DAC and being a tube amp, will be more picky than the Parasound with the speakers that will pair with it. But they do sound glorious.

Good luck.

VPI Traveler V2 with an Ortofon Rondo Blue and Simaudio Moon 110LP, Technics SL-1400 with an Audio Technica AT-14sa and Pro-ject Phono Box S
post #15 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just get an external DAC with multiple inputs. My DAC can accommodate three digital devices and then outputs the analog to an available line level input on my integrated via one pair of RCA i/c's.

Speakers are way too tough for me recommend because they are that subjective. Suggest you take your time and visit as many dealers as you can even if they are in the outlying areas. WRT to an integrated, the Parasound HALO that blue wizard speaks about above is a virtual swiss army knife with every feature imaginable (including a DAC) with a 4 ohm rated power amp section that will drive just about any speaker you are likely to consider.

The Rogue Cronos Mag II is very good too, but you'll need an external DAC and being a tube amp, will be more picky than the Parasound with the speakers that will pair with it. But they do sound glorious.

Good luck.
Very interesting! The Parasound Halo seems great...but again, how do I get my Apple TV, DirecTV and BluRay audio into an integrated amp? Do I embark on the ugly task of sending all the HDMI outputs of those devices to the TV (lots of cabling, ugh), then take the digital out of my Panasonic Plasma to an external DAC and/or something like that Rotel or the Parasound? Or is there another routing solution for the video stuff that I'm not thinking of?
post #16 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Check into the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters. They are an Internet direct dealer, but their factory is somewhere in the LA area. You could make an appointment to give their speakers a listen.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #17 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
I like the Rogue Magnum and Audio Physic direction. I think those are good choices, always loved Audio Physic. Used to have their Tempo 3's.
post #18 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Very interesting! The Parasound Halo seems great...but again, how do I get my Apple TV, DirecTV and BluRay audio into an integrated amp?
HDMI into the TV from your video sources. Optical, SPDIF, or USB from your same digital sources into the DAC. Or these same connections to the integrated if it happens to have a built-in DAC. Its just a few more cables and I sure wouldn't call it ugly.

Your the one that mentioned you wanted a 2 channel system and listed several integrateds you were pondering. Some very good ones too I might add. 2 channel HiFi gear like this does not come with HDMI connections - that's reserved for the HT market as true audio gear doesn't need to carry a video signal.

post #19 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HDMI into the TV from your video sources. Optical, SPDIF, or USB from your same digital sources into the DAC. Or these same connections to the integrated if it happens to have a built-in DAC. Its just a few more cables and I sure wouldn't call it ugly.

Your the one that mentioned you wanted a 2 channel system and listed several integrateds you were pondering. Some very good ones too I might add. 2 channel HiFi gear like this does not come with HDMI connections - that's reserved for the HT market as true audio gear doesn't need to carry a video signal.
Fair enough. Perhaps the optical out on the back of my Panasonic plasma can do the job of summing all those video devices, therefore I'd only take up one input on the DAC for that stuff.
post #20 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I like the Rogue Magnum and Audio Physic direction. I think those are good choices, always loved Audio Physic. Used to have their Tempo 3's.
Just came back from a listen to the excellent Rogue Magnum II and Audio Physic Avanti speakers. Great, great sounds. Although I'm wondering if the Classic 30's might be better because 1) I could actually afford those, and 2) The Avanti doesn't have as many midrange drivers, and I think that if anything was lacking in the Avanti it's body in the midrange. Might just get more sound pressure from the Classic 30's.
post #21 of 30 Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just came back from a listen to the excellent Rogue Magnum II and Audio Physic Avanti speakers. Great, great sounds. Although I'm wondering if the Classic 30's might be better because 1) I could actually afford those, and 2) The Avanti doesn't have as many midrange drivers, and I think that if anything was lacking in the Avanti it's body in the midrange. Might just get more sound pressure from the Classic 30's.
would you consider buying used and saving a few bucks. there are some older Avanti's on Audiogon as well.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...newtonville-ma
post #22 of 30 Old 01-14-2017, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
would you consider buying used and saving a few bucks. there are some older Avanti's on Audiogon as well.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/fu...newtonville-ma
Not opposed to that at all...I saw those speakers...I'd prefer the newer design Avanti's, however. Plus the Classic 30's are unfortunately not the finish i'd want, but thanks for spotting those!
post #23 of 30 Old 01-14-2017, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not opposed to that at all...I saw those speakers...I'd prefer the newer design Avanti's, however. Plus the Classic 30's are unfortunately not the finish i'd want, but thanks for spotting those!
I am not into white speakers either, but one never knows.
post #24 of 30 Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very interesting! The Parasound Halo seems great...but again, how do I get my Apple TV, DirecTV and BluRay audio into an integrated am...?
First we are talking Stereo so there won't be surround sound under any circumstance.

You connect all the Devices to the TV via HDMI, then you connect the Digital Audio Out of the TV to the DAC on the amp you buy or to an independent DAC. That brings ALL TV sound to the Amp. Typically you are limited to 24b/48k, but that is still better than CD quality sound.

Now assuming each device (Apple TV, DirecTV, BluRay) each have their own digital out, you could connect those directly to the amp, but ... you only have a limited number of Digital Inputs on a DAC or an a Amp with a DAC. So best to use the single Digital Out of the TV to provide sound for all the devices.

HDMI -> TV -> Digital Out -> to Digital In on the Amp is by far the most common way to do this.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #25 of 30 Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
First we are talking Stereo so there won't be surround sound under any circumstance.

You connect all the Devices to the TV via HDMI, then you connect the Digital Audio Out of the TV to the DAC on the amp you buy or to an independent DAC. That brings ALL TV sound to the Amp. Typically you are limited to 24b/48k, but that is still better than CD quality sound.

Now assuming each device (Apple TV, DirecTV, BluRay) each have their own digital out, you could connect those directly to the amp, but ... you only have a limited number of Digital Inputs on a DAC or an a Amp with a DAC. So best to use the single Digital Out of the TV to provide sound for all the devices.

HDMI -> TV -> Digital Out -> to Digital In on the Amp is by far the most common way to do this.

Steve/bluewizard
Great! Thank you!
post #26 of 30 Old 01-20-2017, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have any speaker recommendations for me? Or preference of which Integrated Amp, if that's the way I should go?
post #27 of 30 Old 01-20-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone else have any speaker recommendations for me? Or preference of which Integrated Amp, if that's the way I should go?
Can we clarify your budget?

What do you imagine is the budget range for the Speakers?

What do you imagine is the budget range for the Amp?

What features MUST you have in the amp? What features would you like to have in the amp? What features are OK, if they are there, but not really missed if they are not?

So, far my top 4 are -

Parasound Integrated - 160w/ch, DAC, Bass Management -
$2500 -

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHAINT

Parasound Pre-Amp/Power Amp - 125w/ch or 250w/ch, DAC, Bass Management - $1100 + ($1000 or $2500) -

If you have any interest in having a Subwoofer in the future, then the Para sound Top the List.

The Rotel RA-1570 (120w/ch, DAC, $1600) and the bigger Rotel RA-1592 (200w/ch, DAC, $2500) are certainly good amps.

http://www.abt.com/product/70498/Rot...RA1570SIL.html

http://www.abt.com/product/100804/Ro...r-FR51240.html

You might consider the Musical Fidelity M6si with fewer features, but plenty of power, and a very high reputation -

Musical Fidelity M6si - 220w/ch, MM/MC Phono, USB-B 24b/96k - $2999 -

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrat...ated-amplifier

Just floating around in the general price range -

Marantz PM-14S1 - $3000 -

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrat...integrated-amp

Marantz PM-11S3 Reference - $5000 -

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrat...nsolette-black

Someone mentioned Rogue Audio, they certainly have a range of interesting amps, but you have given no indication that this the style amp you are looking for.

Rogue Audio -

http://www.rogueaudio.com/

Rogue Audio Prices -

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Rogue-Audio

Myself, I would lean toward the Parasound. The integrated has better DACs, but the Pre-Amp still has very good DACs, and can be paired with either 125w/ch or 250w/ch. The most expensive combination would be the P5 with A21 for about $3600. Though with 160w/ch and better DACs, plus Bass Management, the Parasound Integrated look pretty good at $2500.

The only way to narrow down the list of amps, it to lay out the features and specifications you would prefer. There are very minimalist amps of the highest quality which are essentially little more than a Volume Control. Equally there are amps in the implied price range that are very long of features. There is no end to possible amps, but to narrowing the field means narrowing the requirements.

Same with speakers. You have somewhat implied what you are looking for, but better to say it in terms of specifications, than to imply it by examples. The same here, not end to the possible speakers, to narrow the field, we have to narrow the requirements.

Do you want want big speakers, small speakers, multi-bass driver speakers, single bass driver speakers? Do the speaker have to go below 30hz? Are you looking for laid back or forward speakers?

You tell us the KIND of equipment you want to buy, and the features you need, and we will recommend equipment that fits those parameters.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-20-2017 at 05:35 PM.
post #28 of 30 Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I think your on the right track already as you have gone out and auditioned gear on your own as indicated in the below post of yours. This is far more valuable than asking for recommendations on the internet. Especially speakers.
Quote:
And since speakers are way too subjective to recommend, my advice is to try and audition some other brands and models similar to the Audio Physics that you already heard. And with music that your very familiar with. If you hear some that you like, pay attention to their impedance and sensitivity specs as these will be important in finding a good amp that will properly drive them.

Remember, an amps primary job is to drive a pair of speakers. Everything else is just a feature that can be added.

post #29 of 30 Old 01-20-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3655 Post(s)
Liked: 4383
Drive one hour to Ascend Acoustics and listen to Sierra Towers with RAAL. They are in San Clemente. The Parasound Halo Integrated is a very good option. I do have a Parasound Halo P5 paired with Emotiva XPA-3 amp and it sounds awesome. I'm pretty sure the Halo Integrated sounds even better.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #30 of 30 Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
So I read through this old thread a little bit. I would like to know what you ended up with in terms of a system. :-)

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page