Recommend DAC for new system. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By vzphoneman
  • 2 Post By cwglideman
  • 1 Post By ldp82

post #1 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Recommend DAC for new system.

I just purchase Jolida Envoy Tube Preamp and VTA ST 120 tube amp (kit) from Bob latino. I also plan to use a laptop that have Flac files I like to play. I have read alot review but this is first USB Dac that I am kinda not sure what to go for, I am possible doing Tidal in future. Here are list on my mind which have alot great review, I wish I can audition some of them local but its not available for me. The list in my price range but Should I go cheap like something like Dragon fly to start out?

IFI MicroIDSD DAC
Oppo Ha-1
<< I like this due to the fact have alibity blutooth if I can stream from iphone
Emotiva XDA
Rotel RDD-1580
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
JoLida Glass FX Tube DAC III <<stay in tube chain with my system?

P.S. I also have Jolida tube JD-100 level 2 mod. Is it good idea to hook to new Dac or Better off go directly to preamp!.

THanks so much for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I would suggest you add Schiit Dac's to your list. Their MultiBit Dac's are very nice.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 01-13-2017 at 08:13 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I noticed you have the Oppo HA-1 in your list. Oppo is about to release their Sonica DAC soon. It does not have an amp built in, like the HA-1 but it does have the updated ES9038 Saber chip and looks like very versital DAC that would allow you to stream Tidal with the available Sonica app.

http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac
vzphoneman and Gary Sedlack like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would suggest the Playback Design Merlot Dac using FPGA rather than any of the Shelf Chips. Andreas Koch which is a well know designer who originally designed the DSD players for Sony many years back if I'm not mistaken Andreas is the guy who made DSD.

I have owned the MSB Platinum Dac, Analog DAC, Lampizator 7 and never regretted selling any of them. The Playback design is not only cheaper but to my ears sounds more Analog and transparent at the same time. It is just a more musical DAC. Mind you lampi dacs are not far behind but the build quality and reliability on those are questionable mines developed a humming noise after a few weeks.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I will be picking up a JoLida Glass FX Tube DAC III W soon. I have a Mass Fidelity Relay on its way. The mass relay will feed a Jolida 302B in a small system. The Glass FX will feed a SS amp, I wanted to add some tube sound to. I do plan on doing a back to back on one if not both systems to see what i can hear.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldp82 View Post
I will be picking up a JoLida Glass FX Tube DAC III W soon. I have a Mass Fidelity Relay on its way. The mass relay will feed a Jolida 302B in a small system. The Glass FX will feed a SS amp, I wanted to add some tube sound to. I do plan on doing a back to back on one if not both systems to see what i can hear.
Emotiva has the Stealth DAC which has gotten some good reviews. I just ordered one to put in my configuration...first Emotiva product for me.

Enjoy the music!

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Emotiva has the Stealth DAC which has gotten some good reviews. I just ordered one to put in my configuration...first Emotiva product for me.

Enjoy the music!

I ended up going in another direction and instead of getting the jolida glass fx picked up a Cambridge CXN as it simplifies the system I'm putting together.

on another note I was cross shopping Emotiva with outlaw and ended up getting an outlaw 5000 to help my receiver for my HT. I was also looking at an XPA but ended up getting a McCormack DNA-225 that will be working with the Cambridge. One of these days i will end up with an Emotiva product!
arftech likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwglideman View Post
I noticed you have the Oppo HA-1 in your list. Oppo is about to release their Sonica DAC soon. It does not have an amp built in, like the HA-1 but it does have the updated ES9038 Saber chip and looks like very versital DAC that would allow you to stream Tidal with the available Sonica app.

http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac
I would take a strong look at the new Oppo. Looks like it will do everything you want at a better price than some of the others.

Have fun with music and HT

Gary
post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sedlack View Post
I would take a strong look at the new Oppo. Looks like it will do everything you want at a better price than some of the others.
+1

Supposedly, it's going to be released this month, so not much of a wait left to see (and hear) it in action.

I keep finding myself refreshing the Oppo page to if it's available yet.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldp82 View Post
I ended up going in another direction and instead of getting the jolida glass fx picked up a Cambridge CXN as it simplifies the system I'm putting together.

on another note I was cross shopping Emotiva with outlaw and ended up getting an outlaw 5000 to help my receiver for my HT. I was also looking at an XPA but ended up getting a McCormack DNA-225 that will be working with the Cambridge. One of these days i will end up with an Emotiva product!
Cambridge makes nice stuff...enjoy that new streamer/DAC!

Oppo UDP-203, Anthem AVM50V 3D, Proceed Amp 3, B&K ST-125.2, Cary Audio 306/200, Apple TV 4K, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Mk2 W Bridge2, Audeze LCD-2 F 2016, Mac Mini-Tidal HiFi/Roon, Apple iPad Pro/Roon Remote, Sony XBR65X930C, Sonus faber Luito Towers, Sonus faber Luito Monitors, Sonus faber Smart Center Channel, REL T2, Sony SWF-BR100W Wireless Subwoofer for 930C
post #11 of 12 Old 01-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Ive heard good things about the schitt stuff from well respected friends... specially at its price point, but I have not tried it myself.

For me, I need femto quality clocking and naked vishay resistors... thats where the magic lies. Many many players use thde superb ess chipset but it takes more than that for really highend sound. You need muktiple chips for each channel, reference level clocking, and really good resistors.

I use the wyred4sound dac2 dsdse

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #12 of 12 Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubeedoobee View Post
For me, I need femto quality clocking and naked vishay resistors... thats where the magic lies.
Magic as in illusion?
Quote:
Many many players use thde superb ess chipset but it takes more than that for really highend sound.
What defines highend sound?
Quote:
You need muktiple chips for each channel, reference level clocking, and really good resistors.
Why would someone need those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page