Does Yamaha R N-602 falls in Audiophile category? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #61 of 63 Old 02-14-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Jenkins View Post
Krell, is that for real! I need to pay more attention to Goodwill.

Have you ever pulled the trigger?
No I haven't, I view online much much more than I purchase. It just surprised me as to how many popped up from the Seatle goodwill ebay seller. Their feedback has some dings and I would assume most of the amps don't work and that's why they have them. I am not capable of doing my own repairs.

Marantz SR6010 -- Marantz MM7025 -- Marantz UD5007
Klipsch RF-7ii's - RC-64ii - RB-51ii's - RS-42ii's - R-112sw(x2)

HK990 -- HD990 -- Klipsch RF-7ii's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 02-14-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Some aspects that might be helpful in choosing an Amp or other equipment for that matter.

YOU matter as much as the Equipment. They way to narrow down the field is to focus on your budget, your preferences, your priorities, and the circumstances you are in.

For example, if you need a system for a 10ft x 10ft bedroom, then monstrous PA speakers are probably not the right choice.

What features do you specifically want? If you want or need an Amp with a DAC (digital to analog converter), that narrows the field.

If you want an Amp with Network Streaming capability, that narrows the field even further.

If you want an Amp with DAC and Streaming, and a reasonable amount of power, that narrows the field to just a few amps. From that limited field, you make your choice.

Given how the discussion has gone, I can only think of two Amps that meet the implied needs.

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC, Network Streaming, .... - $599 -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_network.html

Pioneer Elite SX-N30 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC, Network Streaming ... $600 -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._receiver.html

We can only direct our suggestions at the stated or implied requirements. If you require something different, if the amps in question have features you don't need, or if there is a specific list of features you need, you need to make them clear.

Further it works best if we have the entire system in context -

What are the dimensions of the room?

What other equipment will you or do you have?

What Speakers do you or will you have?

If you want the opinions of those who actually have or have an interest in the Yamaha RN602, then read through this thread -

AVForums - NEW: Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver !!!

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...eiver.1984978/

Like I said before, this is not a prefect system, but if you want something more perfect, then be ready to spend near +$1000 bare minimum.

As to whether this falls into the Audiophile Catagory, it does if you only have $600 to spend and you want all those features. You can move higher into the Audiophile Catagory, if you are willing to spend in the $2000 t0 $10,000 range to duplicate these features.

Equally, if you want to go down the scale, there are other options, not as good as the above, but other options none the less -

Yamaha RN401 Network Receiver - $399 -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_network.html

Yamaha RN301 Network Receiver - $299 -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._receiver.html

Focus on your circumstance, your requirements, and the other equipment you have, and of course your budget.

If the RN602 or the SX-N30 tick all your boxes ...then... there you go.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 02-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #63 of 63 Old 11-26-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Thank you friends for your replies.

I was told that AVR, however costly may be, will never match audio quality of the stereo receiver.

Is this really a fact or fiction?
It is a fact. Read the measured reviews of AVRs (pretty much any brand, except for Arcam, which they haven't reviewed yet), and you'll see that AVRs measure terribly compared to stereo amps and receivers.

The Yamaha R-N602 is a nice machine. I have the R-N803 (after trying an Audiolab 8300A) and it sounds the same but has many more features.

One box that is well laid out, has plenty of inputs, built-in DAC, streaming services, Airplay, has plenty of power, good capacitors and reserves to handle transients, all in one box? And, in the case of the 803, YPAO volume to offset the Fletcher Munson Curve at low and moderate listening levels, giving you a nice and full sound at every volume?

Yes, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page