Does Yamaha R N-602 falls in Audiophile category? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #91 of 102 Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I agree, if you listen with one speaker, Yamaha belong to audiophile.
Alan, say I electrically record the stereo speaker level outputs of a Yamaha receiver by simultaneously connecting a voltage divider type device to the Yamaha's connected speakers' binding posts to reduce the L and R speaker level signals, to a line level a recording device expects. [If the main speaker wire has colored the sound then that would be recorded as well, of course]. Since the receiver is connected to an actual speaker load it is truly under strain while playing the music, but the volume knob is set to keep it below clipping.

Question: Why is it you think listening to such a recording does not give a good picture of what the amplifier, preamp circuit, and all the processing circuits in that AVR (plus the speaker wire used) sound like? I have heard you balk at this methodology but I don't get why. Please explain it to me, thanks.

Signal flow diagram:

Yamaha speaker outs =================> Speakers (or standardized speaker load simulator) ------------------probe wire of voltage divider------digital audio recording device.
ClawAndTalon likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-13-2020 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 01-15-2020, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1882
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Who cares if its audiophile endorsed or not. Audiophile endorsement means that its over priced for the sound quality it delivers. As long as the unit can power your speakers to the loudness level you want to achieve from your listener position and your happy with the sound, then all is good.
Yep, but we feed the monster by threads like this going on endlessly , ratcheting up the angst
tenthplanet likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 01-15-2020 at 08:10 PM.
post #93 of 102 Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2307 Post(s)
Liked: 3655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
Yep, but we feed the monster by threads like this going on endlessly , ratcheting up the angst
Feed the beast, feed the beast, feed the beast ! /CHOMP ! / Tenth: You guys hear something out here
Lp85253 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 102 Old 01-15-2020, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1882
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Feed the beast, feed the beast, feed the beast ! /CHOMP ! / Tenth: You guys hear something out here
I kinda think we, as a group tend to overthink things a bit...or a bunch...
tenthplanet likes this.

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #95 of 102 Old 01-18-2020, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
The term audiophile doesn't even make much sense to me. Like there's some other category of people seeking out poor quality sound reproduction? I don't think so.

"I used to have an expensive stereo which was so good and sounded so accurate it was like Yo-Yo Ma was performing for me right in my living room, but then I remembered I wasn't an audiophile so I sold it and bought a cheap boombox with low quality sound; and now I'm happy." Joe non-audiophile

I've never met such an animal as Joe, and I find in hard to believe they exist.

See? The concept doesn't logically make sense. Everyone loves accurate sound. Sure some people may be willing to pay more money for it but by that logic does it mean a poor person can't be an audiophile and all rich people are?
One of the best posts I have seen here and made me smile.
m. zillch likes this.
post #96 of 102 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 297
For the record, an Audiophile is a noun (person) not an adjective; A person who is enthusiastic about high fidelity sound reproduction. This is why the word has been hijacked to mean some sort of true scotsman in marketing. Like, "no true audiophile would have Yamaha (or insert whatever brand)."

That said, many Yamaha products will perform as transparent (signal with gain) devices, and I have no reason to think this one won't.
CruelInventions and GIEGAR like this.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #97 of 102 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macauley86 View Post
It is a fact. Read the measured reviews of AVRs (pretty much any brand, except for Arcam, which they haven't reviewed yet), and you'll see that AVRs measure terribly compared to stereo amps and receivers.
Please show me where an AVR more than $1000 measured terribly.
m. zillch likes this.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #98 of 102 Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked: 4108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Please show me where an AVR more than $1000 measured terribly.
Agreed. Heck even some name brand AVRs half that price measure (and sound) perfectly fine to even the most discerning ear, they just lack the features and output power of the pricier ones.

Last edited by m. zillch; Yesterday at 09:39 PM.
post #99 of 102 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Agreed. Heck even some name brand AVRs half that price measure acceptably well, they just lack features and output power.

Right, most $500 receivers would measure well, or certainly not “terrible” compared to anything when not overdriven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m. zillch likes this.

post #100 of 102 Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
For the record, an Audiophile is a noun (person) not an adjective; A person who is enthusiastic about high fidelity sound reproduction. This is why the word has been hijacked to mean some sort of true scotsman in marketing. Like, "no true audiophile would have Yamaha (or insert whatever brand)."

That said, many Yamaha products will perform as transparent (signal with gain) devices, and I have no reason to think this one won't.

It's all relative, it is so IMPORTANT to know people that commend, what equipment they have. It's so typical for people that think theirs are the best and can't imagine anything can be better. This is what I called a frog in the well.....that think the sky is only so big looking from the bottom of the well.

And believe me, people are very aggressively defending their believes.

Last but no the least, remember, Yamaha is a really big company with $billions of assets. It's cheap to pay people to rave about their products and defend their products where the real high end audiophile companies don't have the resource to counter that.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; Yesterday at 07:19 PM.
post #101 of 102 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Does Yamaha R N-602 falls in Audiophile category?

Quote:
It's all relative, it is so IMPORTANT to know people that commend, what equipment they have. It's so typical for people that think theirs are the best and can't imagine anything can be better. This is what I called a frog in the well.....that think the sky is only so big looking from the bottom of the well.

What’s relative to what? What someone owns is irrelevant when it comes to understanding accuracy in reproduction. People can have whatever definitions for whatever they want, but it doesn’t change reality. Ears are a product of age and health against proper training. When someone thinks a component is best they are usually listening with their eyes looking at specific name plates. Like when you slammed Yamaha. Please, much of what you say is nonsense.

Audio reproduction is a cold hard physical science, and it’s not understood well with just your cliches and riddles.

m. zillch likes this.

post #102 of 102 Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Last but no the least, remember, Yamaha is a really big company with $billions of assets. It's cheap to pay people to rave about their products and defend their products where the real high end audiophile companies don't have the resource to counter that.

Please... Yes Yamaha markets their products, but they don’t use the racket of the hifi audio press to gush over their exotic high priced gear.

Time and time again I’ve seen Yamaha amps/receivers/integrates test with transparent accuracy, that’s as good as it gets. I have no reason to believe that this one does as well.

m. zillch likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page