How Many of Us are 2 Channel Only? - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 173Likes

post #421 of 433 Old 06-22-2020, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Tubes in 2020 don't make sense to me
Hey, don't knock proven technologies still made to this day for the people who truly care. For the thousands of aficionados who appreciate the finer things in life and who want to get a better "feel for the road" sometimes the well established technologies work the best.
DreamWarrior likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-22-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 433 Old 06-22-2020, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 947
I've only got room and $ for 1 system and it's a 5.2.4 multich rig.
Anything a 2 channel system can do, a multich system can do better and in ways that a 2 channel rig can never do.
I've seen a lot of guys here have systems in 3, 4, and 5 rooms which is all good if you can afford the best speakers in all or most all. IMO its better to buy TOTL speakers for the first multich system, then if you got money left, get anything else you want then.
CruelInventions likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Samsung UBD-K8500, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
4 JBL HDI-3600 speakers, 1 HDI-4500 center channel & (2) HSU STF-2 subwoofers.
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #423 of 433 Old 06-22-2020, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2095 Post(s)
Liked: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Anything a 2 channel system can do, a multich system can do better and in ways that a 2 channel rig can never do.
I've seen a lot of guys here have systems in 3, 4, and 5 rooms which is all good if you can afford the best speakers in all or most all. IMO its better to buy TOTL speakers for the first multich system, then if you got money left, get anything else you want then.
***I understand your point. Having more than one system is a luxury but it can be done on the cheap (or cheaper.). My SACD multi-channel CD’s sound fine on my HT 9.1.4 system but the two channel stereo is lacking, IMHO. So - I picked up a used pair of high sensitivity (90 dB) speakers (Dali Evidence 470) and am looking to eventually move to a tube environment for two channel only.

And I didn’t mean to turn the thread into any tube versus SS debate. But it’s been extremely helpful for me to learn about both environments and how to optimize for that lush, sweet sounding 2 channel, stereo experience from my long lost youth. I don’t listen to vinyl anymore and most of my focus will be on high res streaming. Therefore, learning about DAC’s and how they affect the sound is important, too.

That’s why I think you will see a resurgence and interest in dedicated two channel systems again. The ability to sit in my easy chair and pick any tune, band, genre I want with my iPad Mini and have it play a quality, high res song is really fantastic. I like my headphones but a nice, airy two channel speaker setup is a real joy.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X6700H & Emotiva XPA-3, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides). Stereo 2 Channel Only - Dali Evidence 470 & MartinLogan Forte Amplifier/Streamer with ARC.

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 06-22-2020 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 433 Old 06-23-2020, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
A New Jersey tradition, too. En route to visit relatives or friends my folks always stopped first at one of the many local bakeries to pick up a box of Danish pastry, cupcakes, pie, cake, or cookies. Always in a white box tied with string.
NJ/NY tradition as well.....Bagels!!!!!, As a young lad we would stop at some bagel shop near Livingston NJ enroute to grandma's house

I listen to music via 2ch and 2.1 but currently I do it thru an AVR as I do not have atm a 2ch dedicated set up.... I only use 5.1 for Movies and TV

State of Confusion

Last edited by J Devil 666; 06-23-2020 at 11:47 AM.
post #425 of 433 Old 06-23-2020, 02:20 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post

My 1st system was built around all new components .. BUT... I recently upgraded replacing the RX-V1800 with a used Yamaha RX-A3060. My 2nd/and 3rd systems are all built around used components as you can see from my equipment list. When there's awill, there's a way.

AVR Yamaha RX-A 3060/ RX-V 1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
post #426 of 433 Old 06-26-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Been 2 channels for music and movies for the past 35 years. During the lockdown, I watched a lot of movies on Netflix using my 2 channel system, Tube pre/SS poweramp with 2 ported subwoofers. I eventually got curious on how movies will play with surround speakers. So eventually I gave in and got a 7.2/5.2.2 Receiver, setup was totally different from the basic 2 channel setup. The receiver is more computer that amplifier. Anyways, it has been a blast, movie watching will never be the same again with surrounds and Atmos, but I still return to my Tube pre/SS power amp and sealed subwoofer for music
post #427 of 433 Old 06-26-2020, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
Been 2 channels for music and movies for the past 35 years. During the lockdown, I watched a lot of movies on Netflix using my 2 channel system, Tube pre/SS poweramp with 2 ported subwoofers. I eventually got curious on how movies will play with surround speakers. So eventually I gave in and got a 7.2/5.2.2 Receiver, setup was totally different from the basic 2 channel setup. The receiver is more computer that amplifier. Anyways, it has been a blast, movie watching will never be the same again with surrounds and Atmos, but I still return to my Tube pre/SS power amp and sealed subwoofer for music
I actually switch from 5.1 back to 2.1 for tv and movie long time ago. I don't like the artificial sound flying around and voice coming from the center channel. I like the natural sound stage of the 2.1 that actually gives me the dimension and 3D feel.
josh6113 and Frostyboy115 like this.
post #428 of 433 Old 06-26-2020, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I actually switch from 5.1 back to 2.1 for tv and movie long time ago. I don't like the artificial sound flying around and voice coming from the center channel. I like the natural sound stage of the 2.1 that actually gives me the dimension and 3D feel.
I do not use a center channel Later I will try to watch a movie in 2.1
post #429 of 433 Old 07-02-2020, 04:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Living room (upstairs) 3.3 system.
Listening room,2 channel
Breezeway (2nd listening room) 2 channel
Family room (downstairs) 5.2 ( I plan on adding 2 more subs at some point. I wired for 2 rear subs when the room was built)
post #430 of 433 Old 07-02-2020, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At one time I had a 5.1 system and then upped it to a 7.1. Kept that for a few years before dropping back to strictly 2-channel even for home movies. I got weary of chasing the constantly changing technology. Buddies would ask me why I reverted back to 2-channel and I would jokingly tell them that I am waiting for 120.16.8 surround to come out so that I can spend all of my retirement savings on new electronics and speakers. I'd also say to them "How good of a home theater system do I need to hear Sylvester Stallone mumbling his lines?"

So I have been back to 2-channel for about 5 years and can't say that I miss the home theater surround setup very much. I still have my older Sony surround receiver and all the speakers except for a subwoofer (gave mine to my son when his identical one died). So, I would need a new subwoofer (or two) and a new surround receiver at the very least to get setup again. I may get back into it again 'someday' but I don't feel overly motivated to do that at this time. 2-channel is fine for my wife and me.
post #431 of 433 Old 07-08-2020, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am just browsing the AVS Forum and came across this old thread and can’t resist responding. Hoping there are still folks around that still do 2 channel audio like myself. I never could justify spending the money for all those extra speakers and then struggling to find places to put them. I’ve always put higher priority on my music reproduction and besides, Ialmost never watch movies where special effects might be enhanced with extra speakers.

Then this happened. An audio professional friend of mine was at a big AV show and ran into an acquaintance who was struggling to set up his 7 channel system. My friend was persuaded to lend a hand and he told the struggling fellow to take ten while he looked into what might be done. When his colleague returned he said “wow, what have you done, it sounds great”. My friend replied that he had just shut down all but two channels. That little anecdote has always guided me.

I finally invested in an AVR, the Arcam 2 channel AVR for my TV room system.i quickly decided that its analog audio was not as good as my two channel stereo integrated amp, so I’m using the Arcam as an HDMI switcher and my refurbished Pioneer SX-1050 supplies the audio. This is certainly not a cost effective use of the Arcam but there was an immediate upgrade in audio!
post #432 of 433 Old 07-08-2020, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 146
2-Channels only? one must be a monk

There is no need to go crazy or course, I've been happy with 5.1.

And then why 2-channels only, can't have both? a music listening room, and a movie room?

I was into multi-channels since 70's and remember well Elton John's ROCKETMAN IN QUADRAPHONICS, that was super neat.

I wish there was more music/concert in surround.
post #433 of 433 Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Started as a home theater guy but find myself only wanting to listen to my 2-channel rig now. Any research is now done on how to better that system over time. Still have the 5.1 setup for the family and feel fortunate to have the room in our home now for both systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page